1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay to Win Visualization

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Lithi, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Lithi

From time to time there are quite few people asking if this game is pay to win and how expensive, I tried to visualize some data based on my own experience playing since 2016 and some reddit research. I didn't include costume melting on purpose. Hope this will help new players decide to play or not to play the game ;)

[​IMG]

Shayniiah, Dudeskio, Josh28 and 44 others like this.
  2. Megabiv

This is going to be removed but I do like the poster/chart. Pretty professional job right there.

3. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Calculations are good, but this is freemium as is BDO, it is not pay to win, if you calling paying for the game as p2w and begone beggar.

4. Alterist

Senior Volunteer Moderator

• Combat EXP graph should also look wastely different. While you can have 70% more (you can get the Book from the Night Vendor as well, though pets can give you EXP% too), that graph makes it seem like there are no EXP buffs for a f2p user
      • You have crystals, food, elixir, villa, daily grind buff, combat fame, night, guild buffs, titles, (bells) and event items that are making the "p2w" Combat EXP buffs hardly noticeable due to diminishing returns.
    • Outfit and Campsite each have +10% Skill EXP, yet the total only list +10% as well
      • Skill EXP graph should therefore be higher as well
    • Silver graph is implying that each of those boni increase your profit equally, which is nonsense as this is clearly only focused on grinding where the +2 Energy Recovery is wasted
    • Total benefits p2w % is just a random number
      • As P2W is twice as fast, the free player would only need 1 year to reach softcap or the P2W player would need 1,25 years to reach softcap
    Not to mention that you don't even need things like the Sealed Book of Combat.

5. Noixi

I'd like to post my P2W cost in $ for the year of 2018, with projection into 2020.

==> ZERO until DISPARITY removed + 1 year BDO probation.

6. 2Cents

It's a nice visual and a good start, but it doesn't really hit the main points. The amount of advantage gained from Selling/Melting Outfits is immensely powerful and intentionally full Pay2Win.

Nor does it address real points like just how much better Weight Upgrades & Inventory slots are. It's unbearable to really play the game without them, which is the entire point, they wanted the game to be a pain in the a$$ without them and don't really offer viable solutions. Sacrificing your boss armor and resistances in a PVP game just so you can hunt with a little extra weight is complete BS. Not to mention you still have to upgrade that set in addition to your main for it to even work.

7. Lithi

Thanks for the feedback, I will make adjustments tomorrow :)

8. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

If you are taking feedback, You forgot about the only method of direct silver trade, is to gift Guild masters Pearls to get 2-7 (may be more now) Billion silver payout weekly.
    Remember you have to use pearls otherwise, Kakeo will not back you up if the transaction goes sour.

The campsite, Book of combat, and Blessing are truly negligible.

There are far more efficient ways to P2W in this game.

If you're going to leave out costume melting, artisans or even Pearl gifts..May as well leave out the words P2W.

Everything in the left pane is just the true cost of the game, and if they can afford the time sink, and the CPU to run it..$500+ better be negligible. Or that person truly needs to reevaluate their lifestyle.

#8 Kynreaa, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. Benzzos

That is one great poster right there haha well done! Really good quality handwork.

10. TucoRamires

The worst part being the 30% Marketplace.

11. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Yeah sure if you still grind at Sausans which wouldn't surprise me. If you're as poor as we can guess you are judging by the amount of crying you produce, you should then ..

... grind in a place where there are a bank, repairs etc nearby. I know, I know all this shocking truth is so complex that it's mind -blowing for you: one day you'll realize than Valencia has been greatly updated and that Kamasylvia has been released.

Sigh, "hardcore players" crying because they have to spend 5 minutes in town every hour.

12. Escapism

Please add to this chart, or make a new chart, on the amount of CP you can save by getting +3 worker lodgings in all towns and getting storage expansions only from the shop instead of having to rent houses.

Then calculate how much income each worker on average generates, and how much income each CP can potentially be for a lifeskiller with a huge empire.

Its also missing a good comparison of loot/hour between a full f2p player with no pets, or with maybe 2-3 t1 pets, compared to the loot/hour of someone with 5 t4 pets at the same spot and with the same gear.

13. Spartakatz

Most important, people grind only with the 200% buff anyway. The 10% added to an existing 300%+ comes down to 3% in that case.

The pets become irrelevant again in high level grind areas, they make only a difference in high density mob areas where you can solo 1hit every pack.

Significant are inventory slots and weight, and value pack, both add up to about what you would pay in a subscription.

14. Helysae

Helysae Witch 62

Come on!! Instead of crying and crying at a P2W game, just go playing another game, stop this one and let other player pay to win!!!

15. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

It's not that easy unfortunately. Some people are so addicted and so butthurt by their bad spending habits that they have to shift the blame away from themselves. Rest of ragers are jealous of previously mentionned bad spenders addicts' wealth.

16. Ashenvall

Thank you, you gave a beautiful argument in front of blind people.

17. kuroma2

you forget weight limit and inventory slots to play properly.

18. Mimimimi

not 100% accurate, but highlights the most important points. good job.

19. Jeanina

Jeanina Sharivar Lahn 61 EU

i see seriously no p2w in bdo, you dont pay to simply win...you spend some cash to be a bit faster/more efficient in some aspects of the game and thats it. people doing that are just impatient nothing more nothing less...
    if i spend some money here then its for a costume cause of the looks since the costume bonus has no serious impact on the gameplay...i got my pets cause im freakin lazy if it comes to looting since looting and its animation is annoying as hell in bdo
    and last but not least the valuepack and that only because its beauty salon and mervs color palette together is cheaper than buying a standalone salon and mervs token for 30 days.

that graphic/chart shows nothing but how obsessed players are being most efficient with something i just call a hobby to relax and calm down after a stressful day at work. all things listed on it arent needed to reach your goal if you take bdo as a game and not a freakin 2nd rl job. =)

20. Blitzball

You forgot the most important P2W thing : Costumes melting D:<