1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay to Win Visualization

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Lithi, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

Isn't that actually p2w ? Having unfair advantage over others ?

2. Raikto

Artisan memory?
    Melting costume ?
    Lifeskill outfit?
    Fairy skill reset ?
    Ghillie. Suit?
    Hedgedog/polarbear?
    This is help a lot

3. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

He did count pets (trough steam players are ****ed hard by kakao)

4. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

cmon this aint realistic, where are costume melts and artisans and lodgings and storage and and... and... and....

5. FrozenReaper

FrozenReaper Archer 62 EU

but lucky for us, this is only pay2convenience

jk lol

6. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

An entire generation of gamers settled a standard over more than a decade of spending which is about 15$ x 12 a year, and you're implying that spending ten times this amount is reasonable, let only desirable ?

Some people really need a reality check.

This said, I'm not denying the existance of some whales and pay2fast.

Ashenvall, Klusou and TucoRamires like this.
  7. SkullMonkey

That's a very nice looking graph but sadly isn't very accurate and doesn't depict why the game is pay to win. Here is a much more direct example

1) I'm a new rich player. I spend $160 a week the first 2 weeks to make 1.1 billion silver. I buy all of the pets and other jazz you listed to help me level and make another 150 million in those first 2 weeks through various means.

2) I camp the market place and buy a Tet Dandelion weapon for 1.25 billion silver. Doesn't matter which one because I can buy a coupon to switch it to whatever class I want.

3) I buy costumes and melt them for cron stones and spend around $180 per PEN attempt on said dandelion. Tet Weapons tend to pop PEN anywhere between 5 and 40 attempts. So for between $1220 - $7520 I can get a PEN in the first 3 weeks of gameplay.

4) rinse and repeat that every 2 weeks of the game until I have full Pen weapons and armor. That will give you 216 AP, 322 DP and 537 renown with just asula accessories... but obviously you'd have better gear than that by then

That's textbook pay to win.

You can use the same method for accessories but its hard to figure out a realistic cost range do the the additional downgrade RNG variable so I didn't include it above but depending on your disposable income you could also get PEN accessories that way... but it would be ludicrously expensive.

8. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

So i'm playing since 2016, i paid over 4k...where is my softcap now?

9. Jeanina

Jeanina Sharivar Lahn 61 EU

the word p2w came up years ago with games where certain items were only offered via a cash shop without a chance to obtain it ingame. might and magic, perfect world to name some.
    for example in bdo you can get your items to max PEN, now Kakao offers Gear Boxes on the Cash Shop with HEX Gear for lets say 200 Euros wich isnt obtainable with playing the game then you pay for a 100% win cause you have Gear no one else has except those who buy it aswell. thats where the word pay to win comes from...

Smileybones and Wildcard like this.
  10. Information

lolno.
    P2W is being able to translate IRL money to ingame currency, bringing the social disparities into the game environment. What you describe is just ONE form of P2W and a poor attempt at defending those kind of practices.

Factorial and Klusou like this.
  11. FrozenReaper

FrozenReaper Archer 62 EU

so if pa/kakao added BiS PEN items into cash shop (ofc some ridiculous price)
    it would not be p2w since you can get them ingame? just pay2convenience

Factorial likes this.
  12. Animagic

But...You need high failstacks to try PEN.Do you know what the cost of building high failstacks ?

13. zhagsten

It's not P2W because I redefined P2W as "something that makes you able to travel to the Moon".

Factorial likes this.
  14. Jupto

WAUW! You put a lot into this. I dont know what else to write...

15. MoZex

MoZex Wizard 61 EU

Dont think p2w is the right wording for it in BDO, but much of the stuff that is in the grey area is a form of one time purchase or continous purchase-necessity. Not doing so will halter your progression by a good 50%+, and some "convenience" items like ghillie and tent has a big advantage in open world pvp.

Those who have spent a few k's since release generally should be (related the p2w term) people who bought continous artisan memory bundles, but there are many who still didnt get their pen weapons, a friend even spent 6 7k so far where most is artisans and all he has to show for is them 200 300 stacks. Same guy also spent 2k in costumes to melt them, yet didnt get a single pen from the crons. Not much winning there, hence why p2w is a loose term here.

But in general, the cash shop does offer many features one take for granted in such a game, quickly making the money spent steeper. The fact that every time you reroll to a new class you have to spend money on the same upgrades again, insane! I like to think of BDO as the "rich mans" mmo without much needed AAA features. One can only hope they dont keep repeating the cycles every year in terms of content/design decisions as they want the game to last for another 25 years. Its success with how they handle stuff now also heavily relies on the market, that other mmos dont give much competition.

16. Jeanina

with your argument even a simple cosmetic item with nothing but the looks would be pay two win but what can you win with that? right, nothing so yea argument failed.

17. Jeanina

correct, since you can obtain it ingame just way slower..kinda pay to be faster. you only truley win if you buy something for rl cash you cant get in any way playing the game...might and magic did it with gear. highest gear that was obtainable ingame while playing was epic grade gear on the cash shop you could buy gear that goes far beyond epic or even legendary items almost like gamemaster equipment. no other player could even touch or harm you unless he/she buys the gear aswell for like 1000$. thats how p2w appeared and nothing else.

Smileybones likes this.
  18. zhagsten

I like when people stretch the definition of P2W so much that it doesn't exist anymore anywhere.

Factorial likes this.
  19. TGxRazzyman

TGxRazzyman DarkKnight 61 NA

Dude, if you spent that much money, you can crush me, I don't really mind, it's just a game. I mean, at that point, if you care about winning, that much, by all means .

20. RealXared

RealXared Witch 61 EU

did I see that right that white fishes have become green, so that the auto-fishing cannot drop them, so your inventory gets full in like 20 minutes, unless you buy inventory slot for pearls????

nice p2w move

Factorial and Auralexia like this.