1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Please Help, I can't get invested in the game even after my 20th try.

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by Silentine, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Silentine

I've got the game ever since EU release, and no matter how much I try I can't get invested as much as I want to. Its visually beautiful, gameplay is fun but... I just see so many things that drive me away from it. There are so many things , I don't know where to start.

I find no satisfaction completing quests. No silver, no exp just some contribution points that I don't seem to care about.
    Housing is...well...good idea but, moving stuff from town to town makes me abandoning it all together.
    Not being able to carry my gold with me is really annoying me.
    Storage my gold in a storage and being able to use it only in that town where I storage it (move it partially to other town in order to be able to use it there) really makes my just close the game.
    Quests, I just don't care about them, I try to care but I just can't.
    Horses and other things for transportation, I have 3 horses I have no idea in what stable they are, and I don't even care.
    Leveling after level 50 even after tons of buffs for exp, I find it a very very boring chore.
    Many of the things I have no idea what they are about and I can't seem to care enough to even look it up.
    I don't even look forward to get the awakened weapon.
    Skills are just so many, and so confusing that I find myself just mashing the mouse button when fighting.
    Gearing, no idea what gear is good and its worth to get, what is worth to enhance and so on.
    And the list goes on.

I really want to get invested but there are so many things that its overwhelming and in the end I just abandon it all together.
    I am level 51 and I have no idea what to do besides leveling and that is reaaallllyyyy boooring.
    I gathered tons of silver without any idea what to buy with it.
    No idea what skills to increase all seem too complicated and I forget about them minutes later.
    No idea what quests to do because I find them booring.

I just find myself roaming around and doing nothing, I want to get invested and farm, craft, gather, explore etc. But everywhere I turn its just ''what is that? , this seems boring, i don't care about this, this seems like a chore, this wants this which i have no idea where to get it from.''

Please I need help on some guidance about what is interesting to do, quests that have good reward or interesting events/discoveries/chance to get something good or a wow that was cool factor, gear worth getting, places worth exploring, fun stuff etc.

This is my 20th try at least to get into the game and still i don't seem to care.

2. Claydough

point of this post is?

Vanwaros, Risa and XSkinnyx like this.
  3. Nuonii

By the look of what you wrote, I honestly think this is not the game for you. This game is about setting your own goals, doing the things you find enjoyable.
    There are no specific quest to give you a wow factor, no actual good rewards, that you can get from quests like in other games.

Rewards in the form of items is killing that worldboss and finally getting that armor piece, grinding for hours at crescents and seeing that ring drop. Enhancing till you almost want to throw your pc out of the window but finally getting that TET weapon.

I get my fun from exploring, I thought it was awesome finally finding Valencia city in the desert or that missing island needed to complete my knowledge chapter. I also train and breed horses, have tons of fun with my guild and occasionally go out and grind some.
    I also took time to read the mainquest instead of racing trough. Thought the story was actually quite enjoyable.

I cannot tell you what is interesting for you, only what is interesting to me. So in the end, it's still your desicion. All I can say, look up guides, ask people in chat, guild whatever. Take it slow to understand the game as it does not hold your hand.

4. GM Salome

Game Master

Ohai! ^^

The problem lies in your attitude to a degree. You say how you're bored, can't be bothered, or you don't care. Have you tried looking up some guides on gearing up, or progression areas to level up more effectively, or how to do your rotation? BDO has a lot to offer, but it also requires you to want to learn about it all. It also helps if you have people around you, and taking part in activities together - I would suggest, maybe find a guild that is willing to offer help and guidance? There are a lot of helpful, sociable players out there - all you need to do is reach out to them.

The other factor might be, you simply picked the class that is not fun enough for you. I would suggest giving other classes a try, depending on the type of combat you enjoy the most. But then again - only you know what it is. Try it out!

Being a fresh 51, it doesn't sound like you've tried to PvP yet, maybe that would be something for you? Again, seek out a guild depending on what you'd like to be doing (some are focused on life skilling, some on PvP, some on Roleplaying and events if that's your thing).

It's not about how many times you've given the game a chance, but about how many times you've given yourself a chance to get to know it.

I hope eventually you will find something enjoyable and fun to do! :)

Ellevria, Taj, UltraRed and 1 other person like this.
  5. Silentine

Thanks for answering.

I will try sailing profession, I think that might suit me since its also a type of exploration and adventure to some sort.

I really do wanna get invested in the game, I hear very negative comments of people who quit but at the same time I see the population is high. Anyway I want to ask what gear should I get, i scroll around the marketplace and the much of the things I see on the items statistic is confusing me so if anyone could point a decent gear/weapon/accessories I should get as starters at level 52 so I can compare with other gear I get later on?

6. Commodore Butcherboy

Hi silentine I'm new to the game as well, I see where you are coming from but it's not a bad thing in a way. I've played a lot of mmo. The problem that your having is the same problem I had the first time I played an MMo. You need to have a goal, every time you log in. Like for example today I'll get 1or 2 lvls or learn about a specific combo. I like this game due to the fact that you can be creative with your rotation. Before you log in spend some time learning a few things, but always have a goal before you play.

7. 6footgeeks

You can't force yourself to like something that just isn't for you. Good luck finding the one in your future adventure

MadMel and XSkinnyx like this.
  8. Cynicgirl

It sounds like you would prefer a more structured MMO. A 'Themepark', as they are called. Generally they have more interesting quests, a nice linear upgrade path which is clearly defined, and a way to guide you around the world as you level.

BDO is not that game. I've only been playing a month. This is my second attempt at playing. A few months ago I tried the free trial and lasted only a couple of hours before saying, "No way." But I had gone into the game coming from Elder Scrolls Online / WoW etc. I expected a hand held theme park and BDO doesn't do that.

So I started watching you tubes, looking at recipe spreadsheets, reading up on class guides, life skill guides, gear guides. Basically doing some research. Theres plenty of really great You Tubers posting regular content. Check out Kyrandis, Kali Gold, Incendar and Thomas Soren to name a few that have done some great beginner guides.

Then as Butcherboy suggested, always have a goal. The game is very deep and there are a TON of different systems to learn about. I've still got loads to learn. Its a sandbox game, so that means its up to you to define your goals. The game won't do it for you.

If you really want to try again, then play a few classes to at least mid level. That will only take a few hours. Just follow along the black spirit quests. Pick one tradeskill and read up about it. Then concentrate on that. I suggest cooking. Along with that you will gather and process as you go. It will also help with your workers. Start building an empire of workers to get stuff for you that feeds into the tradeskill you are practising. Thats what you need your contribution points for. They are central to the game.

Sailing will take a little while to get into. It needs quite a lot of materials and contribution points to get started. I advise you to look at cooking or alchemy first.

Or maybe just accept that this is not the game for you. We all like different things in the end, and its not like there isn't a ton of choice out there.

9. CooLPigeoN16

Bruh just find a game you likezzz

MadMel likes this.
  10. mickey3333

W
    Why the f you are posting here?

11. MadMel

0if youve tried a game 20 times and you don't enjoy it. then find something you enjoy. I dont think its a problem with you. its just that you migh tlike something else. bdo is not for everybody. dont focus on what you dont like. focus on what you do like. and go there? for me bdo keeps me cause of combat and graphics and life skills.

however the grind is killing me. some of the upcoming changes annoy me. and other such things. but i still stay for the combat. although i have played more enjoyable combat games they were not multiplayer.

go do what you like.

12. neocodex

This game is just not for you. If you can't be bothered to even figure out what the contribution points are for...

Look, this game is about figuring stuff out yourself, and setting your own goals. If you need to be handholded, like many other modern games like to do (treating player as a complete dumbass) then go play those instead, if figuring out what contribution points are for is too complicated for you.

This is a game that respects players intelligence and promotes you to create your own life/business/career in the game. There are many ways to achieve this, however nothing is simply layed out for you on the doorstep. But there are opportunities.

Some things can be a bit ambiguous I have to say (like the conversation system) but I was hooked from the day one, simply because how different it is from all the theme park mmo's. If you're not hooked yet, then it's just not for you.

Grehm likes this.
  13. Anemone

why bother with the wall of text? your title says it all, you're just not into BDO.

maybe try something else.

14. Caladwen Wind_Whisper

Some games are not for everyone, and this game doesnt seem to work for you.
    Trying to force yourself to play/like it even if you dont is only gonna turn you further away from the game.

The only thing left i can suggest you can try, is take a week or so off this game, just play somehting else.
    If after a week you still feel the urge to play, start a new class, or the same one you had before, and slowly take the game step by step.
    If you still dont like the game after trying it out on a new class/charachter, then clearly this game will not work for you.

If you do find a new enjoyment in playing, level your new charachter to 50 at a slow speed.before you return to your "main".
    This way you can find out how it all works again from a new perspective without having to deal with the rubble on your old account, preventing you from getting to overwhelmed. when you feel ready and think you understand the game ( again) then swap to your main and sort it out. you might even learn a new trick or 2 while doing this.