1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Poll] Is BDO P2W?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Findubar, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:
?

Is BDO P2W?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Khondo

Bullseye !!!!!!!!!!

If winning means more enjoyment playing the game, then that's a WIN in my book, but most people don't consider that winning. So what do you win then, whether you pay or not?

So your telling us that if you don't buy pearls and get all this stuff from said pearls you can't WIN at BDO?

or

Because I have purchased, with pearls, a tent, some pets, a "diving suit", a fishing outfit, a some extra inventory, a cooking outfit, a processing outfit, I automatically win BDO and the people who don't can't WIN BDO?

Why does anyone play this game? Gosh, I need to rethink my life and go live in a monastery somewhere and sing kum ba yah.

2. Khondo

Well out of 413 votes (large number that) 142 (34.4%) of people consider BDO not pay to win, so I guess we did not WIN that argument.

I think this thread has run it's course and can be closed like the other PTW threads. Before we all pass out from going around in circles all day.

BTW have fun in BDO whether you pay to win or not, that's what we are all here for.

3. WinterMilla

Well I started to write one of those long post I like so much, but god tired of writing those so i will just answer as I see fitting.
    1) Winning does often time cause one to feel more enjoyment from the game. In BDO you win by having the higher gear score/lvl. I mean 2 and 3 ap is enough for people to spend millions of silver on and say it was worth it. While yes you can life skill, in the end they want you to life skills to get silver to go out and PVP/ grind the super strong mobs for the good loot.

2) No what I'm telling you is that you will be hindered from getting that far anytime soon if you are starting from $0 and spend no money. Never once did anyone in this thread say you can't get to end game without spending money, but rather the roadblocks in the way for no reason. Its not like me playing my character running around in the same circle teaches me anything other then how to zone out.

3) Well no and yes. No as stated on '2)'. Yes because I can by me having either one of those items means i can do something you can/or can way better then someone who spends no money. Imagine having two that's leading to the same place. One is a straight forward shot with no road blocks, just a single swipe of the card. Now image a bath that takes you on a 3 1 week detour assuming that you get lucky, if you're unlucky add another 1 ~ 3 weeks onto that. When you both get there you get everything the exact same making the detour just a long winded waste of time. Now your winded and they are sitting there relaxing and started moving on past this. This is BDO in a nut shell, either feel the rather of RNG and road blocks for no reason.

P2C P2W P2A are the same just different ways to say it. One is an effect, one is an action, and one is the cause of. I found the swimming one to be a prime example of the levels that they go through to curve ball you into spending money. Who would make swimming that slow then sell you something that makes you faster then a perm boat? Funny thing is people defend them by saying there is nothing to do with swimming anyways so that means it useless and doesn't matter. Just like people PvP and others don't, some people make money off of swimming others don't. What can make you that much money you might ask, well I can't tell you. Not for the lack of knowledge how to, but rather I promised that I wouldn't. Then we have the fishing, yes they added a new fishing system that can help out new players with low inventory, but at the same time it screws them. If I have 192 slots free for just fishing with branded rod, I would not only make more silver, but also fishing exp and trading exp faster than someone only trading in gold fish. I could go on and on again but I've stated this already many times on all the 'p2c,' stuff (even though its all just p2w)

My main reason for the continued replying to this thread isn't because I want to keep debating with people the points all day, but rather provide the facts for those who don't know. Kinda like how a lot of people didn't even know shai was censored and we created awareness for such.

4. Gun_Runner

Gun_Runner Gun_Runner 62 NA

Thats fine and several of us have replied to you a lot too because your facts are just opinions to us, your conclusions are biased to your belief the game is P2W. The concept that there are different ideas on this topic is good. This is not a simple yes or no question.

Lady_Irland likes this.
  5. WinterMilla

Its not opinion based, but rather fact based. I took a widely know term and took its widely excepted meaning and applied that to the game. The only opinionated thing is how everyone keeps trying to redefine what is already defined.

Findubar likes this.
  6. Gun_Runner

Gun_Runner Gun_Runner 62 NA

And as I told you, you can not define P2W as it is not in the dictionary. Defining each word and drawing your conclusion as to how they then work together is misleading definitions by prejudicing readers through language. I even debated and showed that with you. P2W is a phrase or statement or concept. It is open to interpretation as this who thread has shown. What makes something P2W to one person might not for another. You have disguised your opinions as facts and used those facts to prove your point.

To me, this game is not P2W, it do not meet the criteria I consider to be a P2W game.

Lady_Irland likes this.
  7. Naho

Why do ppl keep thinking we are trying to redefine P2W?! That word was already defined in multiple way before Pearl Abyss even think about creating BDO .... Go and look all over the internet, you will get the same results on multiple gaming forum. Same debate, same opinion, same conclusion, depending on the game they refer to.

8. Boink

Most results were made from "influencers" with no psychological background nor ANY expertise with the subject matter.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/1629/text?r=1 This is the most recent with backing of a research group. It illustrates what exactly is p2w. Check P2W Micro-transactions section.

I have a math background and I tell you most of the advances you see in game revolves around the amount a player puts in it. Except for smart individuals or very lucky ones.

Suggesting that p2w has some standards of their own is like me buying my teenage dream car (Mercedes 2005 c280) and saying i'm not p2w... although the reason when i was a teenagers was to hook up with ladies.... maybe I'm living up to my own fantasies. That by itself is winning.

9. Naho

Where did this research group come from? Did they make it set in text for everyone except NA? It's like when i'm saying loot boxes are forbidden in some country because of certain reason but other countries won't because those aren't really enough to.

Also , i'd like if you don't mind and can find them, more details about "that research group" .

Almost everything irl is related to money. Let's compare someone who was born in a rich family and someone working for it. If i work enough and buy, depending on what i do, i'll still pay for it and also win. Yet I have to give a certain amount of effort toward it. But the whole thing is irrelevant to the game situation imo, too many factors will have to be taken in consideration.

#409 Naho, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. Boink

Are you denying their existence?

If you google p2w and gambling research there will be 2 in pdf. Or do you just prefer your "game forum version" of their "personal experience" what is p2w?

I'm curious myself it says the report will be out in the public no later than 2 years. I'm surprised they didn't put it up there as a reference. Maybe they don't want it tampered since the bill is it's infancy, who knows.

11. Boink

I learn this in Psychology 101. You are right everything relates to money. The concept of companies is to acquire it and most of them exploit the basic needs and wants of people.

-> Convenience
    -> Fast reliable way to get it
    -> Affordability
    -> Satisfy the need/want.

I also work for a corporate boss who wants the same thing infact . We exploit these to the best of our abilities. Most foundations are like that from example McDonalds

-> Convenience
    -> Fast reliable way to get protein, sugar or salt.
    -> Yes it's dirt cheap
    -> Satisfies most of what the brain is program to. (P2W)

We can now compare it to a game: Facebook Farmville

-> Convenience - Log in
    -> Fast reliable way to get entertainment
    -> Dirt Cheap
    -> if needed can grow your plants faster than anyone else by dumping a few $.

Same billion $ industries. I'm certain BDO is no different.

In real life no one really buys out of compulsion it has to be in a desire needs/wants unless the individual has a certain compulsive disorder or ADDICTION. Corporate feeds on those as well. Sad but it's part of Capitalism or Consumerism.

#411 Boink, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Findubar and woots like this.
  12. Khondo

Whether BDO (or any game) is P2W in your own opinion should not matter.

The only things that really matter when you decide if you are going to play a game;

- Is your computer (device) able to play the game?
    - Will you have fun?
    - Do you have the real world time available for you to have fun in the game?
    - Is the game good value for money for the entertainment you will get from the game?

If you answer no to any of these questions, you really should not be playing that game.

Arkadia and Naho like this.
  13. Naho

I'm not denying their existence but wanna know more about something You just provided and I wasn't aware about.

We are stuck in a big circle since the beginning of this thread. Majority of you guys see it in a way and just want to force everyone to see it the same way. The same example is given over and over and you guys fail at understanding that no one said you're wrong and this isn't the way.

I'll take an example (again) :
    I get from my family, for free, a machine which can be used to make sugar. You on your side one day, pay for one of the best machine doing the same thing. The goal is for both of us to get sugar. At the end of the day we both get sugar, but yours is way better than mine and faster. Fact is, if I don't pay for such machine, I'll probably never be able to reach the same quality, which I'll consider as p2w because you will get something better at the end of the day, I cannot get w/o paying. That's an example between a tons.

14. Boink

It's more likely an on-going research and see if it pays off if the bill pass here in the U.S. then we can get the results. If the results doesn't fit the description they can always repeal the law just like Prohibition.

You have not bought anything in game that makes you think of "winning" in any way possible. Are you a casual gamer?

Hmm you ask me why is it not relevant in game? I simply dabble on the conclusion that "convenience" is a masquerade of actually winning and how corporate use this as a platform.

We are talking about endless progression in an MMO. They are planning to add more + AP accessories with more values than it's predecessor. if I'm using your analogy and you are still making brown sugar while my company is making white sugar.... while I p2w that white sugar and making it finer you are still stuck trying to get white sugar.

15. Naho

I'm not a casual but I have different goal I want to achieve and those don't require any real money and at the end the money invested ingame probably won't matter.

Also, using my analogy you would see that both what I think about P2W and your thoughts, are included. I made sure to mention what was the goal into all of that. Bdo, in comparison you can do whatever you decide to, you're not forced to do only one thing in the game, despite ppl thinking that the only goal in this game is the endless progression itself.

Khondo likes this.
  16. Wallkyrja

Artisan´s Surprise

WinterMilla and Findubar like this.
  17. WinterMilla

1) sometimes. I dont fine the inconveniences very fun at all which detracts from a beautiful game. Damn shame really.
    2) IRL I can dedicate enough time here and other places, but I should want to spend my life here as thats what MMO supposed to make you want to do
    3)Good value for $25 that I paid? Yea its a good value, but shouldn't need to pay for so many things on every single character I make just to enjoy the game. Its like buying a car with the steering wheel missing and they give you a wrench telling you to make to do till you buy a new wheel.

All in all these questions aren't really what this thread is about. Its asking if there is p2w in the game. Just because I have fun in a game doesn't mean I can't call it out for the BS that it has. I played games for years having fun, but still called them out for just BS moves on their part. A blind love is just that a blind love, no one gets better only worse. True love is being able to tell them what you honestly think and feel and both try to improve to a degree.

18. Zev

Zev Striker 61 NA

You can sit in town on a new account, buy and sell 30+ costumes a week for 7 billion total a week. Then buy all your gear from the marketplace.

You can get things in the cash shop that give u an advantage in the game that you can't get by in game means. Swim faster, Loot faster, Hide your name, more weight, more inventory, ect.

Only people that say it's not p2w, are people new, naive, or people who like to p2w.

19. WinterMilla

that or if they get spoon feed payouts all week.

Zev likes this.
  20. Alterist

Senior Volunteer Moderator

A new account is limited to 5 items per week. You need 2501+ Family Fame in order to sell 35 items.

And the biggest obstacle is having an additional ~4160€ per month just for a videogame, chances are the majority of the users don't even make that much per month to begin with, let alone have enough left after taxes and what not.