1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Poll] Is BDO P2W?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Findubar, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:
?

Is BDO P2W?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

..Does the definition differ from your nations proposed regulations?

2. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I hope not.

3. WinterMilla

Where are you getting this 100k number? Also its $40 for 225mil not 150.

I've played this game both hardcore and casual. I have grinded for hours and then plucked weeds. I got 61 back when people would take your word on a class just for reaching such a mythical lvl. After all this time I never once liked the way the game strangles players progression for cash. Back when pirates and sausans were the hot new thing on the block, people would spend hours closely guarding these spots as it was the best money/exp in the game at the time. This is around the time I spent money on maxing out my tamers weight,inventory,costumes (pre cron melting), maids and pets. At the time I figured it was just the cost of playing the game, then they released the tent. For the first time in BDO i did the 1 ~ 50 quest for the free tent only to find it was absolute garbage. The cost of running that tent was more then I had at the time and felt like a pain sailing all the way back in 7 days to recraft it. Sure it wasn't need to progress in the game, but at that time leaving a spot at pirates or sasuans could spell waiting hrs for the next open space. Having all of these items gave me the edge I needed to keep on top of my gear and keep progressing smoothly.

Now that was an example, fast forward to today. Cron stone melting to save a piece of gear from down grading. Which is a huge deal since no one want to risk breaking their money maker. Also no one wants to buy a back up to break then re-enhance up using resources and time. No matter what people make you believe TET is still a pain to get. Selling costumes for 225 (it might be a mil lower or so)mil is still pretty dang good, even just to melt them down is good.

Now to put something into perspective, a lot of those pre-orders on costumes are people buy them to melt them down, not because of their looks. Everyone assumes so long as they just use silver for it that it magically makes the p2w go away. No rather than making it go away or claiming a work around your funding it. If I know that I can sell a costume on the market from PS and get a sure fire 225mil and I have the spare funds to do so, I might just do it. By making it so selling these costumes is profitable then that increases the amount of items people are willing to sell. Also by using the in game mechanics on why costumes are a broken cash shop item with silver doesn't make it any better. Their BS attempt to 'fix' problems only highlight how much they really don't give a freak.
    "You want encahncing to be less painful?"
    Casually adds in cron melting, decreases amount need to cron, but marks up normal cron prices, increases market price, adds valks cries to costumes.
    "What you want a way to get Tet and pen more reliably?"
    adds caphras that take forever to get and would be better off selling for TET then saving up for Pen

The loyalties shop is a joke. They can't offer you 10 inventory spaces for 10 days worth of loyalties but rather just one. People suggested just adding daily quest for the loyalties, but screw that right..... All BDO is doing is pushing the envelope with what they can get away with with monitization.

Kynreaa, Blitzball, Reyer and 3 others like this.
  4. robertthebard

What about people that do the same thing in swtor, or GW 2? The flaw in your logic is assuming "cash shop == P2W", and you're not alone.

Here's the possible solutions to your dilemma:

All gear is bound to family, and cannot be traded.

Go to a sub model, and only sell cosmetics.

The third option is both of those combined. Get a gear drop that you could have sold for tons, too bad. In order to curb this misconception of P2W, all gear is bound, so you vendor it for cheap, or throw it away.

I'd be all for the first option, and would stock up on popcorn for inevitable explosion on here. As it stands right now though, those people dumping tons of cash into the cash shop are keeping the lights on. I've spent 24.99. I bought the Explorer Pack because it was on sale, still is, actually. I don't see me spending much else, so I'm grateful, for now, that there are people willing to keep the lights on for me.

5. Ciccina

Ciccina Sorceress 61 NA

People who argue that this game is P2W have never played a P2W MMO before. It's like an autistic kid arguing that they can compete in the regular Olympics and not the Special Olympics.

Asterotis, IWalkAlone and Felyni like this.
  6. Ben Phoenix

Prove it.

7. Ciccina

Ciccina Sorceress 61 NA

Prove what? There's literally other MMOs that are real P2W. For example, BnS. Not sure what you don't understand? Next time, learn to research it yourself.

8. Ben Phoenix

Prove that we never played a P2W MMO before. Nope, you can't.

[​IMG]

#528 Ben Phoenix, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Graviera, Phoenixxx75 and Korvgubben like this.
  9. Korvgubben

Yeah theres loads, BDO for example. Also lets not forget BDO, BDO and BDO along with a game most ppl here have played called BDO.

10. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

Just because a game is not the most pay to win game ever does not make it not pay to win at all. Obviously some people are blind to this.

Yumine, Evengelius, 2Cents and 5 others like this.
  11. Debra

I am just happy someone else is paying for the development of this game! I still want to know what this "win" condition is that everyone thinks you can pay for? The game is literally endless, so when, exactly do you win? The same people whining about p2w would be whining they cant afford the game if it was a subscription or something. Personally I have no issue with people who have more money then sense, but you can play just fine spending a reasonable amount of money you are comfortable with.

IWalkAlone and Misuzie like this.
  12. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I would pay a subscription quite happily if it meant they removed the artisans, cron melting and the ability to sell pearl items on the central market.

Yumine, Evengelius, Debra and 4 others like this.
  13. Reyer

How about winning your spot in a duel or PK attempt? Or waiting only 3 months for better gear instead of 2 years? Or winning the horse race? Or winning more money on spots? Or "winning" some RP interaction because your costume interested another RP player? Or winning more free time for activities of your choice because you don't have to "manually" connect nodes or perform lifeskill with limited inventory/weight? Or winning high score in guild battle? Or winning a duel with some well known player while you had some witnesses that are all talking about you now?

There is no end point of the game and what are you playing now consist from multiple little wins and loses. If you pay less you lose more. If you pay more you win more. Each one of these little wins gets you burst of dopamine - the rewarding hormone and in a result you feel better than if you have lost.

Consider that analogy:
    What exactly do you win in real life? Are there any endgame credits that praise you after your death?
    Having more money than others is just a convenience not a P2W since you cannot win the life with them. Yes, you can live considerably better than others but it doesn't mean that they cannot obtain the same things that you have. They just have to work a little bit longer for them. Right?
    What's the "win" in life? What's the win in BDO? Finishing them faster? Receiving final reward, unobtainable otherwise? What makes one different from other and how do you win in your daily life? What are your goals in game and what are in the real life? Do you work for the final "win" after which there is nothing else since you've won everything? Winner of everything - that's P2W for you?

MMO is not a single player game, there is no "big win".

#533 Reyer, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Zycrus, Korvgubben and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  14. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

Life itself is pay 2 win.
    This saying remains true for everything, even in games:

"In order to make money, you have to spend money."

(Hello, college debt, hobby debt, etc, y'all get the picture.)​

Maginha and IWalkAlone like this.
  15. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

Yes that does not mean the payment should always be in real cash. The whole point of games, is you use ingame currency. Not real currency to supplement time.
    Otherwise you incentivize devs to break content, and make things take longer then the should as part of design, all to push their PTW/PTC cash shop.

16. WinterMilla

Too bad we cant talk to the Devs of Life for a class balance.

17. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

18. WinterMilla

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  19. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Yes goodies are evil, let's make them illegal and put in jail fans who enjoy goodies on stuff they like.