1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Is this Game for High Rollers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Marshallx, Aug 1, 2020.

?

Is this a Game for High Rollers ???

This poll will close on Aug 31, 2020 at 9:48 PM.
  1. Yes - PEN Gear is for those that want to spend real money and a lot of it.

40.2%
  2. No - Its all in your head; Who cares about PEN gear? I just play to have fun.

23.5%
  3. Kinda Sorta - Think long term, be patient, and spend minimally to have fun.

36.3%
  1. Marshallx

What's a game cost nowadays ?

Oh, just any game - Whats a console game cost? A decent one, a lot of gamers play? Oh, lets just look at a big one: Fortnite. Cost to play: $84.67.

Fortnite doesn’t cost money to play, but it sure generates a lot of cash. The game sells V-Bucks, which go for $9.99 per 1,000 and can be spent on customization items. Players use V-Bucks to buy emotes, which are dance moves, and skins, which are outfits and accessories.

You can also buy Battle Passes, which unlock various rewards dependent upon season.

Spending money on Fortnite is far from rare. A LendEDU survey discovered that nearly 70% of players said they’d made in-game purchases, with the average person splashing out $84.67 total between July 2017 and June 2018.

[​IMG]

Now you can see why Kakao is working to hard to make this game popular.

Perhaps thats why they bought Eve Online. (Its similar to the BDO and its easy to manipulate gamers into spending a lot of money, real money). Lots of people battle it out in the stars and sometimes when their starship is destroyed, the gamer will lose the equivalent of thousands of dollars of real money.

You can make the argument that bdo is really free entertainment; You dont have to actually PAY anything. Play for free. See how far you get without spending any real money. And isnt that what its all about? Achieve?

One player told me that per their calculations if you went to the pearl shop and bought costumes and sold them on the market to get the necessary materials, it would cost, on average, $1200 per piece of TET. Thats not PEN, thats TET.

Me personally Ive spent over $2000 on a variety of things, pets, storage, worker lodging, on and on. I have two pieces of TET. Thats just my personal experience though.

IMO you will not achieve PEN without spending real money and a lot of real money at that. If any player tells you they have achieved PEN without spending a significant amount of coin, dont believe them, if you do believe them, with all due respect, you are naive.

Whats your opinion??? Is this a game best played by high rollers??? By those that want to shill out thousands of dollars to feel the rush to strut around in PEN gear???

#1 Marshallx, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Tracey likes this.
  2. PeelThat

And here i am. spent like 100 euro. and got full tet by playing the game and bought my stuff from market.

and im all fine with that. PEN is not a must have for me. im having fun with i have right now.

If someone wanna spend money on a game , be my guest i dont care and the p2w aspects of this game dont bothers me, for me it sounds more like alot of people are jealous more then anything.

Chaos Ronin likes this.
  3. Tracey

Umm well I play games like Skyrim, Destiny 2, and Dota 2, etc so.......... judging by those......... destiny 2 I probably forked out about $300 in total for expansions and other odd tid bits, on dota 2 i bought an absurd amount of costumes so probably .... around $200 dollars on that one, which 200 bucks on dota 2 gets you aton of stuff especially if you get your costumes from the PLAYER MARKET - to elaborate , player market on steam is the equiv of spending PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR which this game should have .

This game over the years i've spent in total probably ... close to 5 grand because I kept making new characters which quickly became boring lol, like there marketing model fwiw was effective it zero'ed in on what someone like myself would like and threw it in my face and I was hard pressed not to spend here. But I think everything is over priced here and even with discounts on VIRTUAL items its still with discounts way to much, they'd bring in more players if they cut the price by about 70% and the longevity of the game would go further imho, will they ever do this? maybe in 8 years if this game lives that long, pure speculation.

About high rollers;

I think you can certainly advance your progress more quickly spending than if you don't because it cuts through a fair amount of red tape , with artisan memories for example when you're trying to save hundreds of millions in repairs over time it really does add up, on the other hand I also find people who spend absurd amounts of time like live and breath this game can acquire good gear or the same achievements as those who spend thousands, I know someone who has higher gearscore than me and they're entirely Free to play but they also no life the game harder than the average player. A casual player I do not believe will ever reach the heights of full pen gear that's a fantasy imo.

Chaos Ronin and Marshallx like this.
  4. Tracey

Too much considering games give the illusion of a good deal with "discounts" , when via the magical powers of software can create unlimited items of virtual bliss for us to buy up.

Games that realize this can be abused heavily - charge very little for cosmetics to make the playerbase happy -and they in exchange have successful playerbases that thrive for many years, I'm looking at Dota 2 specifically with that comment in comparison to this game.

5. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

bdo is definitely on the expensive side of mmos, I spent about 800 bucks over 4 years (which is about 15 bucks a month, same as a wow sub for 4 years), people around 650 gs spend between 2000-5000 (in 4 years time), usually, the amount spend for gs higher than 650 is a lot higher than 5k

if you watched the podcast feat. estimate from NA, you either whale of money or you whale of time, that's pretty much bdo, if you want high gear score you either have to put in a lot of your time playing or a lot of money, that's only if you want to be in the siege scene or high tier node war scene.

I feel like the game IS casual friendly, since softcap gear is 261 AP which enables you to do any PVE activities AND they are adding a lot more relaxing lifeskill content in the game.

#5 GamePois0n, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    rebelhawk, Yyiara and Thugarin like this.
  6. Columba

Still bitter about the game and how it's oppressed you, yet buying megaphones!.

Define "high roller."

7. Tracey

Yyiara and Marshallx like this.
  8. Thugarin

Thugarin Striker 62 EU

I dissagre with this one at all. Bringing crones into pen attempts is like bringing bricks to swimming pool - you can toss them in and hope they ll make water out of the pool, but they ll sink aswell. You can see some youtube/twitches where they just mass spam cron stones into pen and dont get one even after 10-20 attempts, even with 112-150fs. At this point it's just better you go outside and buy yourself some good meal or something you can actually enjoy kek.

You can also grind your time off anywhere where you find the most decent profit for your class and level and buy it.

You can also enhance if you feel carreid/stubborn enough to push it.

Personally 2x Pen (red nose/dande) - red nose I made on 217fs, which is nor the lowest or the highest fs, but I made like 15 attempts for it.
    How? Buy a tri red nose - smack it for tet on some 40-60fs, if it fails -> sell duo, if its up -> easy, fairly cheap pen attempt.
    Did pretty much the same to get tet blackstar.

With dande I decided I ll faster collect 17-20bil silvers, than make another 15+ attempts or who the hell knows how many cos it's lottery.
    How? Tried to enhance accessories to duo/tri (including saving the ones you get from dark rifts to lower cost/buying at lower price when there is some attendance box and similar opportunities) - and eventually if I had 100+ fs I was trying to make them tet. At 112 fs (so +10 valks and adventure log book with quests amount completed done to some point) you have 30%~ chance for tet acc <- this seemed fairly more possible to get than trying to hit 3% chance in pen LUL.

I will probably continue smacking accessories just to buy off other pen for pure silvers :P
    Of course it cost plenty of silvers, but if you spend 9 bil to get 25 bil its still profit right?

Now - if you are between free oasis gear and tet making or you are at point where you have tet weapons/armors and u try to get tri-tet accessories - I think the hardest for you is just to figure out the way you want to make money for it (if you dont consider yourself carried/stubborn enough to enhance), be it grind, life skilling or market trades - just put some effort to it and u ll see result. Don't do the gear roulletes if you can't make up the money in game fast enough - it's just voluntarily shooting yourself in knee.

The very last option - leech on some girls rng xD

Tracey and Marshallx like this.
  9. Tracey

1st point ya gear roulette is bad idea I lost a fair number of friends due to them failing in that fashion.

2nd point - NO!!! my Rng D:< lol

Thugarin likes this.
  10. Thugarin

Thugarin Striker 62 EU

Share now!!! <then im gonna have 2x with myself) xD

Tracey likes this.
  11. Columba

12. Tracey

not sure if you're really directing that question at me per say but ima answer anyway , umm I spent about 1,000 per year that I've played but when I was going for my pen equipments I spent a little more to rush repairs, I also had a nasty habit of buying every character I had ghill suits and cosmetic things to make 'em pretty because why not, and also weight things so it added up pretty quick,

am I upset I spent that much ? no I've had alot of fun in this game still do *

would I continue spending that much per year? NOPE unless they give me a real good reason too,

one other thing though to add * I think it's wise to spend cautiously moving forward just because until the new flag ship game releases and we see how it affects this one I think its wise to not go quite that heavy on the spending , but I'm a cautious person by nature so see that for what you will /shrug

@Columba I'm honestly a little curious now about you heh how much have you spent on average per year on this ? I tried to look in your message history to see if you've ever said an amount but I gave up lol but I am curious just for conversation sake - I understand if you don't though, theirs a stigma behind everything lol people get shunned for spending too much , or too little or not at all, etc merely curious though but anyway suppose I'll get back to modding skyrim lol these vampiric cat ears aren't gonna make themselves !

#12 Tracey, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Columba likes this.
  13. Columba

I budget $50/month, so $600 / year. Mostly for value packs, elion tears and artisans.

MoonDance17 and Tracey like this.
  14. Tracey

*pops back to see reply* ahh ok ^.^ yeah I guess I forgot to say value packs too lol, also i'm one of those people that when i dont have 192 inventory I go crazy because OCD so gotta get that inventory haha <3 elion tears though, its unfortunate we can't trade those things, i'd find you in game if we could and GIVE YOU like 200 of 'em for free, I don't really pvp anymore and I have hundreds from the 90 day value packs

Columba likes this.
  15. Keophiroun

I don't spend money on cron because I am not impatient. So far I have spent around $400 on the game. 50% on outfits customs and 50% on life skill items like tent weights and slots.

rebelhawk and Thugarin like this.
  16. Boink

I spent around $650 no crons or artisans and I'm full PEN except Blackstar.... and accessories. Although I'd say I was the "first" to failstack with Grunil (green) gear and show to some non-believers how it works at least 1 year and half ago (I started when they released the enhancement rates). It did save me a lot of silver in the process which equals to time.

You posted REAL competitive games... not saying low gear can't kill but I did the math and there is no way I can catch up with whales. With the upcoming power creep like Dead God Armor... good luck. All I can say is just enjoy your OWN progression and if you want actual competitive games play f2p fps, MOBA, fighting or strategy games. I gave up PvP 2 years ago and I'm not.... forced to spend a ridiculous amount of money just to stay relevant with the GEARSCORE hikes.

Marshallx likes this.
  17. Ternezia

Ternezia DarkKnight 60 EU

Achievement or "win" means different things for different people. For me I can say I already "won" because I have fun. PEN is not a must-have for me.

Btw, the people who play with a "must-have" attitude IMO are torturing themselves without any reason. It's understandable to feel "must have a much better position at my job, must compete and grow" or "must have a great career/stable family" etc, but in a video game? Cmon.

Columba, Marshallx and Tracey like this.
  18. Tracey

I agree with this so much, heh I uhh... I go really hard for achievements in games like this and then once i've accomplished something its like welp that was a great journey and I find something else to do, its a vicious self destructive tendency, and I know for a fact I'm not the only person who does that lol D:< lol torture indeed

19. Ternezia

Ternezia DarkKnight 60 EU

But you at least realize this. It's a good start! :)

Btw been there, done that. Raided hardcore in WoW several years ago. Quickly realized "what the ** I am doing with my life? Wasting precious time and nerves for pixels!"

Beeso and Tracey like this.
  20. LightningFFXIII-4

PEN gear requirements:

You have a career/job and swipe that credit card frequently because you have money to burn and not enough time to play or...

You have no career/job and play BDO 24/7 and live with your Parents or....

You play BDO and use every exploit/speedhacks available or...

You buy a 620+ GS account from a 3rd party website.

Souda likes this.