1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Pre-Announcement] Pet Exchange Renewal

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Yukimura, Oct 24, 2018.

1. CM Yukimura

Community Manager

[​IMG]

Greetings Adventurers!

Our pets work hard for us and have become irreplaceable in our hearts and adventures. They pick up our loot, alert us of possible dangers, and have other helpful talents as well.

You can currently get higher tier Pets by "exchanging" pets of the same species. Many of our Adventurers try to get higher tier pets as they are able to learn more skills and pick up loot more often.

However, the current pet exchange system leaves a little more to be desired. Did you ever wish that you could exchange pets even if they were many tiers apart or of different species? It is also annoying to prepare multiple Lv. 10 pets for a chance to get a higher tier pet.

Well, good news everyone! We are here to introduce the new pet exchange system that will make it easier for Adventurers to get higher tier pets!

First, pets of different species will be able to be exchanged with each other!

Dogs only with dogs? Cats only with cats? Not anymore! The new exchange system will allow you to exchange pets regardless of their species. This means you can exchange your dog with a cat if you want!

There is something you should take note of. Pets won’t be divided by species, but they will be into one of 4 different types. You can check which type a pet is in the Pet List or the Pearl Shop.

[​IMG]

Second, you’ll get to see the probable outcomes of an exchange in advance. Therefore you can make informed choices to guarantee you getting a higher tier pet!

Say goodbye to the days where you had to exchange your pets blindly! You’ll know the exact chances of each exchange, so you can choose in which combinations you should exchange your pets for maximum results.

That’s not all! You will be able to exchange up to 5 pets at a time to increase your chances of getting a higher tier pet. Multiple pets of lower tiers can be exchanged to increase your probability of getting a higher tier.

The tables below compare the chances of getting certain Tier pets before and after the pet exchange renewal. They are examples from exchanging 2 pets. You will be able to increase the chances of getting a higher tier pet by exchanging more pets at a time.

181024---petchart1.jpg

Q: How are the chances calculated when I exchange multiple pets of the same tier?

A: If you exchange 3 pets of tier 1 for example,

Tier 1 + Tier 1 (55% of getting Tier 3) + Tier 1 (55% of getting Tier 3) = 110% (effectively, 100%) chance of getting Tier 3

Q: How are the chances calculated when I exchange multiple pets of different tiers?

A: If you exchange 3 pets of tier 3 and 2 pets of tier 1 for example,

Tier 3 + Tier 3 (35% chance of getting Tier 4) + Tier 3 (35% chance of getting Tier 4) + Tier 1 (15% chance of getting Tier 4) + Tier 1 (15% chance of getting Tier 4) = 100% Chance of getting Tier 4

Third, pets can be exchanged regardless of their tier difference.

Right now, you can’t exchange pets that are 2 or more tiers apart. This means that even if you have pets of the same species, you might not be able to exchange them because of their tier difference.

With this new rework, you will be able to exchange pets at any tier. It’ll be possible to exchange tier 1 pets with tier 4 pets!

Of course, exchanging higher tier pets with each other will give you a better chance of getting an even higher tier pet.

※ Wizard Gosphy can only be tier 1. However, it will increase the chances of getting a higher tier pet more than another tier 1 pets.

Fourth, level 1 pets can also become higher tier pets!

Before, you had better chances of getting a higher tier pet if your pets were level 10. However, it takes so long to get pets to level 10.

After this renewal, you’ll get the same results exchanging a level 1 pet as you’ll get exchanging a same tiered, level 10 pet!

Focusing on Growth! - Main Pets

If there is a pet you really want to grow, then you can select it as your main pet when you are exchanging pets. When you exchange the main pet with another pet, then the main pet’s EXP will be kept.

For example, you choose your level 10 tier 3 Grey Moon Cat as your main pet and exchange it with another tier 1 pet. The new pet will be at least tier 3 (85% chance) and have the same EXP as a tier 3 level 10, or it can become a tier 4 (15% chance) level 7-8.

The reason why the level drops when the pet becomes a higher tier is that the amount of EXP that the main pet has is maintained after the exchange. However, pets of higher tier need more EXP to level up. So if the pet stays the same tier, it will stay at the same level. If the pet goes up tiers, then the pet will be at a lower level.

For pet appearances, you will get a choice. You can get a random appearance out of all the pets you are exchanging, or inherit the appearance of a specific pet.

Now hold it right there! You need to remember that the special skills that pets have are tied to their appearance! A cat has the special skill Resource Detection. However, if its appearance is changed to a dog then it will have the special skill Enemy Detection.

Talent can be inherited, or you can get a random one. You can choose to get a random talent out of all the talents available, or inherit the talent of a pet you are exchanging.

181024---petchart.jpg

We would also like for you to know that pet caretaker NPCs are getting ready to start working in major cities. You’ll be able to learn Knowledge about pets by completing quests from them. Among other things, they will also sell materials needed to make feeds that can help your pets grow.

Edit: Keep on the lookout for a release date on this new feature and as always feel free to let us know what you think! :)

That's all for now folks!
    Cheers.

BDO Team

#1 CM Yukimura, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Zev, lnsidiousoul, Ventesa and 23 others like this.
  2. Celaiona

Okay but where is it? Or this like the balance where it's announced, half-assed, and never heard about again.

3. Jannanomana

Jannanomana Jannanomana Witch 62 EU

4. Buxx

Buxx Lahn 62 EU

Is this live???

5. Alterist

Senior Volunteer Moderator

No. It's a pre notice, will be implemented in the near future.

6. Reiver

"A cat has the special skill Resource Detection."
    BULLSHARTS
    When the game opened and you could only have 3 pets out, I had 3 cats with Detect Resources. I bought another, then merged them all to get two with Detect Resources, and bought a dog to have Detect Hostile. The goddam cats changed to Detect Hostile so I had three pets with that and none to detect resources. I filed a ticket and the pricks told me I didn't understand that "skills could change".

Shedo, Tvvin and Ms_Wizard like this.
  7. PKaBoo

PKaBoo Tamer 62 EU

can't wait for this change ! will b easier to get mats needed for pet feed (even thou these days I simply buy off mp if I see some1 selling lots of organic feed since I grind lots hehe)
    the exchange option that after the changes we may get a lv10 or somewhat lvled up pet to 7-8 is a bliss not to mention exchanging pets with other species ... I just wish I could exchange my letsay penguin + polar bear and still have +weight from polar bear if I choose to keep look of penguin lolz I wonder what will become of hedgehogs now.... after the change I mean I like his looks he's funny but I'd probably prefer looks of other pets... and other pet = losing the special talent of hedgehog so it's bit meh on that department I suppose :o
    if to overlook the minor "problems/issues"...
    this change is a total bliss ! :)
    only downside I suppose that the kuku is still gonna b a "loner" lol I'd b happier if could change his looks to other pets I really don't like him :/

Crystal Star likes this.
  8. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Not only awesome news, but pre-news to boot!
    tenor.gif

#8 Andaro, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  9. warriors

I can exchange "event" type with "classic' type?

10. Thelemna

Thelemna Softspoken Tamer 63 NA

Thank you for finally being transparent about exchange rates.

For those of us who already went through the hassle of upgrading 5 premium tier 4 pets blindly, it would have been nice to have something we can also benefit from in this system, because right now, this only benefits us if we get to have a 6th pet out.

Patrik2991, Sevyrn and Crystal Star like this.
  11. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

I believe you still have to stay within category.
    Essentially they have grouped pets into categories, instead of species, so you have more exchanging options.
    Event Pets will still have to be exchanged with Event Pets, if I read correctly

12. Caythana

Caythana Lahn 62 EU

What about the monster box pets? Centaur, Dim Tree, Golem etc? I assume those would fit in the "Limited" category as well?

Isteria likes this.
  13. Xenosuke

Well now. First the marketplace revamp news, now this? This is good news when we actually get it, and if it doesn't take take for what seems like forever.

#13 Xenosuke, Oct 24, 2018
  14. dovidf5024

Wait so can i exchange one of my existing t4 polar bears with another pet and make that pet t4 with the polar bear weight increase skill? Currently have 6 t4 pets and like 15 t3 so i would love to mix and match there appearances while keeping the polar bear weight increase skill.

15. Blitzball

So, if i smash my T3 pet with 7 T1 pets , i'll get a guaranteed T4 ?

( 15% x 7 = 105% )

16. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

yup, basically, but you can combine upto 5 pets at once, from my understanding

Just have to do your maths right when selecting which pets to combine

(Edited) In your case,
    [T3 + T1(15%)] + T1(15%) + T1(15%) + T1(15%) = 60% chance T4

Ty @Mimimimi for fixing my maths ^^

#16 Andaro, Oct 24, 2018
  17. Akeno

Akeno Sorceress 61

I like this change its better than what it was thank you

18. Mimimimi

incorrect to my understanding.
    for your first example:
    T3+T3 = 35%
    T3+T1 = 15%
    T3+T1 = 15%
    total: 65%

second example:
    total: 60%

19. Mimimimi

avoiding legal issues with the current discussions against gambling in video games? smart if so :)

i appreciate that you are allowed to be open about the chances now and also for the detailed calculation examples. appears to be a lot more fair towards your customers now.

EDIT: will the chances be visible in-game too?

Patrik2991 and Tvvin like this.
  20. Foggen

Foggen Musa 63 NA

Wait, so If I exchange 2 cats is it no longer guaranteed I'll get a cat? Currently if you exchange lower tier cats and get a higher tier without setting appearance, you'll get a higher tier cat appearance. If I'm smashing 2 cats you can bet what I want is a cat.

This is especially true with high value, come-only-in-expensive-packs pets like Hedgehogs. If I slam 2 Hedgehogs and get ANYTHING BUT A HEDGEHOG that is deeply unacceptable. Is the idea of this to force people to use appearance coupons if they want higher tier appearances and don't want to risk losing their pet archetypes?