1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions about organised/endgame PvP, performance and Guilds

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by 888And888, Feb 21, 2021.

1. 888And888

Hi All,

I have just started downloading the game and I have some questions for experienced players.

Being mainly interested in organised PvP, I am trying to understand how viable it is in BDO.

My understanding is that there are three different options for organised PvP: Nodes, Battlegrounds and Sieges.

May I ask if Nodes and Battlegrounds are viable for new players or if they are dominated by old, well-geared players? Also, what are the may difference between them?

Regarding the Sieges, do they work like ESO, where the owner get limited benefits, do they work like in EVE, where controlling an area matters and allow to deploy structures?

Still on the above, how is the game performance in Sieges and battlegrounds/nodes? Acceptable or just bad like it is in ESO?

I have one more questions and it’s about guilds... I reckon that I would have to find a decent PvP guild, so I was wondering if there is a place where I can find information in them, outside of the official forums. Recruitment messages are always great, but the reality is often... different I am open to start a direct conversation, if there is someone willing to help on the guild subject.

Many thanks

2. reconkangas

There are a few things to discuss in your title you ask about end game. Then in your post you identify yourself as a new player.

For starters we have to completely separate these two. BDO is a LONG term MMO for you to even reach beginning of end game your looking at a year and thats if your motivated. I am not referring to you pulling out a credit card to do it obviously you can but in worst case it's going to take you a year of hard work to hit around 600gs and that's only if you get into a good guild that's willing to work with you and help you.

2nd as a new player, PvP will truly only be somewhat viable through Battle arena with trial characters until you yourself reaches soft cap AP/DP 259ap 309dp ish depending on your build can you do PVP before sure obviously you may get flagged up on or attacked.
    Node wars T1 are viable for new players but guilds that specialize in T1 are limited.
    Node war T2-T4 are out of your reach till end game
    Siege- is end game only
    Red battlefield-soft cap-end game but let's be honest here RBF is endgame Sh!tiers only.
    BA is always available
    The last Is GVG unorganized that will depend on your guild you are in and there numbers and strength but again until your soft cap no point youb will just die repeatedly.

BDO is unlike any other game nothing you have played in the past will prepare you for it. Your PvP content as a new person will be limited to you rez die rez die repeatedly until you understand your not ready for it.
    But in a good guild that can help guide you and carry you in fights as well as help train you your chances at making it and getting good increase 1000 fold.

PeaceInChaos and 888And888 like this.
  3. Blitzball

Do yourself a favor. Do not play this game if you’re a pvp player. You’ll be very disappointed.

Silent83 likes this.
  4. 888And888

That’s good to know... pretty much all the games I played in the past required only 2-3 months to get decent gear.
    I hadn’t read anything about equipment yet, so your words are enlightening.

May I ask what is the soft cap you are talking about? I am also going to Google it and I would be very happy if you can tell me what are the best sites BDO-related (news and info).

One last thing, just be sure: it would be silly to look for a guild until I hit the soft cap you talking about, wouldn’t it?

5. 888And888

That’s not very... encouraging.

Care to elaborate, please? :)

6. Aurasormr

The term softcap does not apply to its true purpose here, it basically got from the point where aquireing gear gets harder to the point where the community decides its softcap now.

It used to be tri which is +18 gear to full +19 and a couple of +20 if npt even higher.

Which is basically the end of the linr enhancing wise - there is caphras which further increases strength.

888And888 likes this.
  7. Chaos Ronin

Chaos Ronin RyunokoDynasty Mystic 61 NA

Do not listen to that guy about anything to do with BDO, he's only going to **** on it at every opportunity he gets. Listen to people who are currently enjoying the game and make your own judgments about activities you will participate in while you play. BDOP pvp is amazing but also can be frustrating and very annoying at times. Certain classes are totally busted too, but as you play and learn more you do learn to deal with them too. Gear is very very important in pvp here but as with most pvp games, the gear is slightly less important depend on the class.

There is a learning curve too but if you are used to action combat it shouldn't take too long. Some classes are drastically different from others and although people say there are no roles in BDO pvp, there clearly are, and building towards the intended style/role of the class will save you a lot of headache int the future.

Pick something you like the looks of, play around on trial characters and get a feel. Of course, make some friends or join a guild who are willing to help you out in understanding the game a little faster too. Don't be discouraged when people say dumb things like "you are not viable for pvp till x amount of gear", stick to dueling/fighting people around your own gear and you are viable right away. T1 nodears can be super fun with the right people and that shouldn't take long at all to be able to do. anything above that may take a while longer but siege is something that will require you to be around 650ish GS to feel like anything other than cannon fodder and even then (as a vet) it is kind of a pain in the ass. Not saying it can not be enjoyed but for the most part (unless you are a caster or ranged class) it's pretty much a bit of a ball v ball cluster f*ck lol.

Take your time though, pick the class YOU like and not what people tell you to pick and just enjoy yourself.
    WELCOME TO BDO! :D:D:D

888And888 and PeaceInChaos like this.
  8. Silent83

Pvp its like this, more gear, jump jump, cc, dead, sometimes are, 3 skills, or four, will come now people to tell you, it is a skill game, jumping and moving around to avoid cc, if you got strong gear(you need to use some real money for that), you can kill a lot of people, because is a "skill pvp game"! fanboy mode ON activated! :)

9. 888And888

I have to admit that I don't know what the numbers mean, but I understand your point! Thanks :)

10. 888And888

Thanks!

Yeah that's clear... Pretty much I should just enjoy the game and find a guild for now, figuring if I like the game.

BTW, how good is the performance during large battles? Acceptable or a complete lagfest like in ESO?

edit: typo

#10 888And888, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Chaos Ronin likes this.
  11. Chaos Ronin

I don't struggle much to be fair, the ping can be a little high/laggy for me during siege but that's because I play on NA from England. Graphically/fps I'm more than good but I have a £9 - £10,000 setup so I can't really give an honest reply to the performance in that respect lol.

888And888 likes this.
  12. reconkangas

BDO is a great game, its more enjoyable especially when you are in an active guild with players willing to guid you and help. Do not put off joining a guild based on you being new or low gear.

answering your previous question:
    Soft cap fluctuates but is considered Tet boss weapons, Gold Tri accessories, Tet Boss armor or equivalent (I.e. 3 piece ultimate Akum, uragons dr/heve evasion) but do to the extra Ap/DP from books and Pen capotia accesories, the original 256ap 297dp doesn't apply anymore. Soft cap was basically the last easy step before things started getting into RNG enhancements or major silver and were most talk about credit cards or whaling it.

Performance in very large battles will be a direct result of your hardware, as it approaches 50+ players then it becomes a net code issue generally speaking using Garmoth for an example with 50-100 players my computer with I9-9900k OC to 5.2 and a MSI 2080TI OC as well goes from avg of 220Fps (using a predator monitor 1ms 240hz) down to about 40ish fps when there are 50+ players and the Adds come out. Most of the issue is more due to there net code that they are talking about cleaning up but has been a major issue for years. It makes BDO very d'sync and sluggish this is do to how the net code handles a large volume data and to be honest has more to do with current limitations in technology not just code.

I love playing BDO, i love the PvP aspects of this game. Personally speaking i have been doing PvP in BDO since before soft cap and got my tail kicked in a lot BUT that still never stopped me. Even though i am close to 700gs i still find the game challenging especially those with equal and higher GS than me this also includes getting out numbered as well as out played in GvG. It will take time and patience but this game will reward you with some of the most breath taking visuals and combat that is out in any game to date.

13. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

Reconkangas and Chaos Ronin are two very geared vets, I've met them in Red Battlefield a few times. IDK about those other guys (they might be on EU, Recon and Ronin and I are NA). I'm a 301/302/341 and rising Sorc here, on and off since launch, steady playing for about 2.5 years or so.

Here's what I suggest for you if you're really wanting to get into BDO PvP.

1) Play a Seasonal character and get to max Seasonal gear.

- There's many guides online and YouTube videos. EvilDoUsHarm is a good YouTuber for you to look up, I'd say. He makes a lot of leveling guides and Seasonal guides. He'll guide you how to reach late-game levels and give some good pointers on how to progress your season gear.

I'd recommend watching DEADGG on Twitch as well to get some pointers, really knowledgeable guy who does pretty much everything in BDO who has reached end-game gear levels on multiple acocunts. He just started a new one recently, so def worth a check out and to pick his brain.

2) Join a T1 node war guild.

-This is your gateway into BDO organized PVP. Find one with cool people who are knowledgeable if possible.

3) Be prepared for the long haul

- As stated, BDO is a long term game. Seasonal helps a lot by speeding up the process to get soft-cap gear, but soft-cap really is barely scratching the surface. It's good enough for T1's and some open world in lower grind zones, but end-game is a grind. After you reach soft-cap and get a good grasp on BDO, I'd then suggest to figure out YOUR way of making sustainable silver income. A lot of this game's end-game is how YOU make your money, the game won't explicityly tell you how--- it gives you the tools, and you figure out how to use them. So after the fun time during seasonal (tutorial version) and you're in real servers, how you earn silver and sustain that is pretty much BDO end-game in a nutshell, least for me (I want to progress gear!). The things that I've observed that hold people back in BDO or make them quit are a lack of time, a lack of knowledge or a lack of friends. Or burn out lol. Best suggestion: Meet some cool peeps who know their stuff : )

You may also need to figure out how you'd like to progress your gear as well. In Season, you'll have to enhance your gear. This includes RNG. I'd suggest making two sets of each gear piece using Naru gear then make those PEN Naru's into Tuvala's. Get 2 PRI Tuvalas and when enhancing, wear the piece you enhance the highest and use the other piece to try for higher enhancement levels. That way you do not lose stats when you fail enhancements.

After Season, you can bypass enhancing by buying off the Central Market if you wish. I personally prefer this method as I prefer predictability over getting lucky. The sense of accomplishment in this game, after making some serious gains is one of the most rewarding feelings I've ever felt in a game and one of the reasons I like BDO. It's a grinder, it's not always black-and-white, you have to figure some thigs out for yourself, and a great PVP combat system. Best MMO for me, pretty sandbox-y in how the game gives you the tools, but you figure out how to use them -- I like that compared to other MMO's I've played which are pretty straight forward for all players.

#13 PeaceInChaos, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  14. MADE

As performant constant desynces are.

15. 888And888

I see... definitely not my setup, but I can always lower the settings, it’s the server-side performance that worries me!

It definitely seems like they have some issues with their network... let’s hope is not as bad as in ESO.

Thanks for sharing your experience and explaining the soft cap thing; it definitely seems you love this game and enjoy the PvP experience.
    Many thanks!

I agree, making friends and/or finding a good guild is the key to have fun in MMOs, this has been my experience as well; the game I played the longest were the one were I could find a good guild.

RNG is not my thing for sure... I have never been lucky in any game, better waiting a bit longer and spend in-game coins.
    Also, if I like the game, doing some kind of crafting is something I really want to try for sure, that could help making some money.

BTW, is there any class I should stay away from because it's really sub-par in PvP or because it has obvious design flaws? I am not asking for the best one to play, I am just trying to avoid something that has been historically bad!

Many thanks :)

I see... not great to hear :(

#15 888And888, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2021
  16. reconkangas

Look as far as classes go you will hear many differences in opinions.
    Some right some will be wrong but in the end you will most likely swap classes more than a few times before you realize that it is not about how OP the class is but how much you enjoy playing it will matter as much if not more.
    Some suggestions for you as a new player.

#1 start a shai asap you get professional alchemy and gathering automatically as you will make better money life skilling up front than grinding starting off.

#2 be realistic on your APM some classes like Sorc,DK, ranger and tamer require heavy APM. Warrior, Striker,Mystic requires major combos as well as APM.

#3 Realise the limitations of your hardware and your internet connection. Example if you bearly get 60 frames and your ping is over 120 your going to find that classes that are glass cannons may not be to your best interest like rangers for instance wear class's like valk, guardian, Nova, mystic and Striker are a bit more tanky and can handle getting beat on.

#3 becouse you can tag chareters you may want to consider at least one class that can grind well and one you enjoy if there the same great but some good grinding classes suck at pvp lol. We're classes Like kuno and ninja are great pvp classes but wear you out grinding with them.

Over all all classes are good as long as you enjoy it.

888And888 likes this.
  17. 888And888

Oh... that’s a surprise, I thought that changing class was rare, because of the grinding required.
    Also very useful to know about the Shai, being able to make some money would help greatly.

Very good point at #2 indeed... I still have an ADSL connection, so ping is probably not the best, in particular with many players on screen.
    Just to be sure, APM means action per minute, isn’t it?

I am sorry, what do you mean with “you can tag chareters”?

Thanks!

18. Unranked

Unranked Unranked Striker 64 EU

The grind is real, but its for gear, not character level. The only grind for a class swap is in skill points but it doesnt take more then a week to get a new char to a decent amount of skill points and a competitive level.
    Gearwise you will only need to change weapons but thats where the tagging jumps in. Taggin is basicly sticking two characters together so you can swap between the two of them and you will remain on the same location. you can also use the tag system to copy your entire gear set of your main to the tagged char, so you dont even need to go trough the hassle of swapping gear/buying an aditional set of weapons. Making this copy will cost a fraction of your gear tho.

888And888 likes this.
  19. T800

Few points why this game is not really good PvP game:
    • No Damage Numbers - you don't know whether your attacks are hitting or missing, evading. ( You can only see Crits and Block)
    • Red Battlefield is the only Battleground they added in 7 years since release. - Dev were not really interesting in developing PvP aspect of the game, beyond what they have so far.
    • FPS = DPS, having more FPS will give you an ability to perform skills faster. That's why you would often see on Twitch players downgrading their graphics. Because as someone mentioned above this game is about " Skills " in PvP. Developers can limit FPS in Node Wars and Sieges in order to bring some balance to the end game PvP, they said so them selves - but they don't want to.
    • Karma system and only 1 PvP server out of 30. - Karma system pretty much killed Open World PvP( Killing players reduces your Karma, once it drops below zero( after 3-5 kills), you start loosing your crystals in gear on death, and once they are gone, you will lose your Enchants on gear) apart from 1 server you can switch to.
    • Too many classes(21 and more coming), and inability for Developers to balance them. You got few Meta classes ( Witch, Wizard, Shai etc ) the rest are just trash when it comes to end game PvP( you would often see the score after Node Wars and Sieges, where few players get up to 20 Kill/death ratio while a lot of other are below 1. also gear plays a role). So what ever you like is not really relevant. You will bring what the Meta tells you to bring. ( But don't worry, they added Item Copy ability, so you can copy your gear items one time on the Meta character of your choice)

Few points why this is a good "casual" PvP game:
    • There is no real rewards for End game PvP. ( Few areas have bonuses to grind zones, but noone really cares). or any kind of PvP.
    • There is no PvP gear that is locked behind PvP content.
    • No major gear diversity - One set for all at end game. Can switch between Accuracy and AP items, but since you can't see whether your attacks are being evaded, or how much damage you deal so you won't even know for sure whether you need to switch gear or not.
    • Winning in Node Wars and Sieges, doesn't really matter, since there are no real rewards for it, so you can take it casual. Thou many do take it seriously, until they realize how pointless all of this is and leave just to be replaced by new enthusiasts and this evil circle of delusions continues. People just want to see something that's not there.

If you want to reach end game gear faster go Bartering. You basically just build your boat and sail delivering goods for money. It's so good it equivalent to some of the Top end game grind spots. Only difference is, you don't need any gear to sail.
    Best catch up mechanic for new players introduced recently.

But game is pretty, with lots of classes, fun combat and lots of things to do. Node Wars and Siege PvP is just an extra feature in this game, but not a focus. I would say about only 10% of players take part in it, if not less.

You can definitely enjoy it casually.

#19 T800, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    888And888 likes this.
  20. Chaos Ronin

I agree with most of what you said here but some of it is misinformation. The game (pvp wise) is actually somewhat balanced apart from succ wiz if we are going to be honest here and saying all other classes apart from witch, wiz, and shai is trash???? Is a massive pile of crap (no offense).

The part about build diversity is also a pile of crap we have a lot of diversity if people didn't sheep their gear. Have you noticed everyone is going DR now? Sheep.
    It's easy to tell if your damage was evaded because evasion simply does that... takes no damage.

The FPS thing is true but literally for 1 or 2 classes (warrior being the very well known) and even then the difference in minimal at best.
    As for limiting fps in Seige? Or at all at that matter, why? Some of us spent a lot of our hard earned money to have PC's that can handle good fps in all situations in the game. Why should we be punished/suffer because others have low end pc's?

The rest, i agree with :)<3

T800 likes this.