1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ranger's current role, buffs?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by Netreiam, May 24, 2020.

1. Netreiam

So, ever since PA released Archer, ranger has been shafted as a class.

You have "ranged classes" like archer and succ witchards that now have tons of protection on top of multiple ranged CC and abilities that chunk people from far outside melee range.

At the same time you have "assassin classes" like ninja, sorc, and lahn that are able to dance around multiple people all but unkillable without being properly CCed. (and even then, sometimes having enough eva to survive because of absurd eva % buffs)

I feel like most people would say that ranger is one or the other, but it seems like she is expected to do both, without the proper kit for either.

I'm not a ranger main, so I was wondering what those that do main the class think about the current place and what they think ranger needs .

#1 Netreiam, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

tbh i fear rangers way more than archers.

3. Netreiam

I would assume that as an awakening wizard (last I checked) literally any class with a grab is scary. Doesn't really mean anything to the topic at hand.

4. Wollbert

Wollbert Witch 61 EU

Awakening Ranger is basically a slow maewha with grab

5. stalas

i got 733d on my ranger main now succ for role u got.

-In siege defence u go on fence mid lvl and u are invincible but shower do hit so i got 134kill last siege i did top 2. 289 ap.

- u got massive dmg single target with tearing arrow pw cw shotgun + tree buff 9% accuracy 5% add on -12% evasion debuff with blasting gust u got around 30% garanted hit. where archer will hit 10% ranger hit 40% + 3X dmg range. So its evasion tank killer.

- the goal is not to be in front and get cc or far back getting ninja kill, its best play with teamate like zerker or striker or mystic u let them tank and cc ennemy when u do all the dps.

- in 1v1 its more about u do enough dmg and kill them before they reach u when archer is more about fishing for CC with perma protect rotation and when u land stiff u go mele do ur combo.
    - With archer nerf its going to not be able with 305 ap to kill pen evasion build ninja or mystic or anything cuz lack content dps only have burst without accuracy. + archer is more like poke cc bot.
    - With ranger even in siege with 9-10k hp player u can still 1combo them at ranger with TA -PW-CW-shotgun even if they got full evasion meme gear sot its more like tank killer sniper who need player to protect him.

6. Vieilan

The downsmash elongation process

7. Netreiam

Does succ ranger>archer by such a huge margin that it justifies archer having more protected CC, pseudo-protected CC (protected while charging), protected damage, protected movement, and AoE damage? Anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean anything. I would like to see controlled tests on the subject because I'm geuniely curious. That said, we would have to wait until the unfinalized GL changes (which will have to be tested AGAIN after they are finalized so we know how much things change)

Also, even if that is the case, why doesn't succ ranger's kit reflect that? Succ ranger literally has a passive that says they get more range (which would justify the whole "sniper" idea) and yet they only have like 1m (less than grab range) of extra distance, which means that most people would be able to use a single dash and be in range for a mid-ranged CC. Maybe that time would be enough vs undergeared AP builds, but if both players are around the same GS I doubt that succ ranger has any ability to meaningfully 1v1. The cases where they can (290 AP vs 300 DP), it's because its a playstyle that is extremely toxic (killing people who have almost no chance of fighting back).

I still think there is room for buffing succ ranger's kit. Not even to make them "stronger" but to make the whole "sniper playstyle" more dependant on the player's kit and how well they use it instead of their gear and how easily they oneshot.

This doesn't include awakening ranger either, who I was mostly directing the post at because I feel like they are in a much more necessary position for needing buffs.

Is that a point for or against awak ranger needed help? Because if you want to say it's against, I would argue that 1. Maewha isn't exactly a top tier class either and 2. The whole point of maewha is being fast, if maewha's kit was 20% slower and didn't have perma protected dash a grab wouldn't stop the kit from being unusable.

#7 Netreiam, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Stocksyn95

There are countless posts and comments here, in reddit and in the ranger discord about ranger mains speaking their minds on the state of the class (it hasn't changed much since a really long time so not much outdated info).

Ranger lost her identity a long time ago in my opinion, "ranged assassin" is often used when referring to her but that term implies so many characteristics that she doesnt have. Right now you would not be mistaken if you think that ranger (awakening) is the worst melee toolkit and the worst ranged toolkit both merged into one class. That combination doesnt make her the worst class in the game (at least i dont think so) but there's no way that something great would come from that combination either.

Awakening ranger is good in 1v1s and succ ranger is great in largescale. Both are "average" at grinding. For some that's good enough if you don't compare yourself too much to the top classes.

Netreiam likes this.
  9. Distaken

Distaken Warrior 62 NA

same, archers are kind of easy to deal with. In 1v1 they are a free win and in group PvP its pretty easy to catch them off guard if you flank and their lack of a proper iframe means a simple engage>grab>2ish damage skills will eliminate them. Ranger tho dances around and also has a grab but shrug

10. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

im more afraid of succ rangers than archers also. the damage output on me while im animation locked in SA's is overwhelming.

11. Distaken

Distaken Warrior 62 NA

xD agreed again. Not to mention that even with warriors good burst I can burst all I want towards them and they can literally just spam that attack where they move backwards and kill me before Im even close to grab range.