1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RBF-Backdoor

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Dixs, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Dixs

I think spawn camping and tower/bottleneck zerging is a real problem for the RBF.

I like battlegrounds, but it gets pretty boring, when one side can't even get into battle.

Here are some sugestions:

- Create a backdoor. An alternative entry point to the battlefield, so the tower zerging side has to split forces to cover both. We have four corners, so why not make the empty ones entry points.One for each side. The spawn would remain the same, so you would have to run to those and don't have any advantage in distance to the other side. You would just be protected. Shouldn't take too much programming effort, because you wouldnT have to change much in the current RBF. The pathes could be outside the current borders.

- Make the spawnpoint a platform, whith damage protection and the possebility to shoot down. Would at least create some distance to work with for the defenders.

- Make the battlefield a little bigger. Makes it easier for those few classes who can get through the bottleneck to harass from the back.

I know, RBF has a low priority for the Devs, but it is still nice to have a possibilty to do some decent PvP if you don't have much time. And I know many players, who like battlegrounds and are frustrated that there is only one, which is small and very boring when it comes down to spawncamping. Even small changes here, would make the overall game more attractive for many players in my humble oppinion.

What do you think?

Risa, BDO_Nictofilia and Mimimimi like this.
  2. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

RBF is the real problem for RBF. What we need are different maps and modes.

3. Decem

Was asking for this 2 years ago. Even wrote several tickets so they ask PA to add 2 more spawn (1 in each corner so 4 total) so people can spawn where they want and go into battle. This would fix spawn camping and involve a bit more tactics and situation awarness so one team isnt camping 20min in front of the 1 choke point.

4. TheYoda

TheYoda TheJedi Tamer 62 NA

Like I said before, A game mode would be nice.

Picture this...RBF Capture the Flag. The two teams fight to protect a person capturing a flag at the enemies base. However, When the person who has the flag carries it, Their movement speed is decreased, Like holding the Golden Goose Egg from the event. Though, their protection and evasion is amplified. But there is a Cooldown on it to prevent exploiting. So, right before the cool down is up, The user, while holding the flag could pass it to another team mate, The process of handing it over would take 2 seconds to provide a small area of vulnerability. The Goal, capture the flag for the said points. After 20minutes who ever has the most points win. losing team also compensated for the playtime as well.

Could need some revision, but I personally think that it be a nice option for game modes under RBF.

Factorial and Kauni like this.
  5. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Ye something like that... and then another mode like pretty much every game has where you got like 3-5 bases to capture and protected while getting points while captured.

6. Artorias_Dusk

They should make it like GW2. Different Maps. And maybe try to balance it out. I'm to weak for RBF but I will sure go in more often once I hit a certain cap.

7. Wollbert

Wollbert Ranger 62 EU

you know it took them 3 years to remove the falldamage from spawns, whats about one line of code. and you think THIS shouldn't take them much effort?

Factorial likes this.
  8. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Team balancing. number balancing, staking - is real problem of RBF.

9. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

The fall damage is still there tho?^^

10. Factorial

99% of the work done at pearl abyss is based on the cash shop, costume fixes, and certain rocks in random unimportant locations. You know, the important stuff.

11. Dixs

I don't think more modes and maps is a good idea. If you played other games, you know that there are only one or two maps/modes that are played. Random mode/map doesn't make much of a difference there and even scares ppl away.
    It's also way too much work.

I think most of the ppl just do RBF for the 200 energy anyway. Those don't care about tactics or contributing to a win. They would have even less chance to win a BG if they just run into the enemy to maybe get a kill or two, or rathwer follow a 1 point guy than help wth 200 point one.

A simple backdoor isn't much work though. It would make the the game/RBF more attractive to some -> More cash shop revenue. Might be possible. Even with a low priority. Don't ask for too much.

Shadow arena was basically a different map with a different mode. Even with high incentives most ppl stopped playing after a while. They could do something like a random item reward with a double chance with the Kama-buff and higher chance with the general knowledge droprate for Rbf. Again, not much work -> more Kama-buff buyers.

#11 Dixs, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Uhm no, not really.

Yes, because RBF is trash. How digusting is it that barely PvP people join it and the "battle ground" is more used by life skillers for 200 energy?
    That's why we need something that attracts PvP people. PvP people have pretty much no content.

Had nothing to do with PvP. Pure rng all the way. Class, skills, gear. It should have been a FUN mode since it had nothing to do with real BDO PvP. The rewards were also way too huge and them trying to design SA somewhat competitive instantly killed it.

13. Dixs

Uhm yes, really. Look at Rift, Starwars or Wildstar. Just a feww maps/modes were played in my expierence. All where games with a high PvP focus and a variety of BG's. They constantly patched those and released new ones once in a while.

Well, I liked it a lot when those ppl you look down upon joined RBF a few weeks ago for the Tapu Quests. Those BG's where a lot more balanced even with lifeskiller one-shots. By the way, you're language speaks volumes here on your view of other players and your general attitude.

Yes it was a BG. Limited time, instanced, specific map and PvP. You're talking about something, that will never happen and has never really happened before. What you want is something like a shooter, or a MOBA. Even those have dead modes/maps and a lot of problems with balancing, despite their pure BG focus. This is a MMORPG. They have to work on content, PvE balance, lifeskill-PvP balance etc.... If they would do what you want, this game would die very fast.

On the other hand they do rework some old mechanics once in a while to keep the playstyle variety. The priority( CS>new content>rework) will stay the same though. We can only stress again and again, that there is a player base that wants to do BG's and not ask for too much. Small changes might happen eventually.

14. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

And yet, they did not have the idea to remove the akward slides as well. I guess those were suppossed to reduce the fall damage before. And when they are at it, why not entirely remove those akward falling animations and insane recovery times upon landing. With my valkyrie I can bypass this by sideways cutting into the fall and continuing to do it in the air, but that should not be the solution for something like that. Also I am not sure how other classes can avoid this.
    It seriously makes me insanely mad, when I pvp anywhere in the world, fall down an edge, whirl my arms for 10 seconds stuck in the air, need another 5 seconds to be able to move again after landing and get killed for free.

15. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

Well in dead games nobody is gonna play anything obviously. Doesn't change the fact that the most popular modes are capture the flag or holding bases (no clue what it's called). None of these we have in BDO. We have spawn camp with no objectives and crap rewards.

Or with other words: The truth? No competitive PvP player will ever say that RBF is a good PvP mode. I say competitive here just because everything else is too subjective. Essentially nobody wo really enjoys PvP would says RBF is good but this statement would allow any subjective "argument" as just mentioned.
    If someone really likes to run circles or spawn camp/being spawn camped, then well...do we really wanna argue about this kind of people?

It would die if they add PvP? Are you serious? A lot of people left actually just because the game lacks PvP. Giving actual PvP content would not kill the game, it would let people return who enjoyed BDO but had no PvP. Releasing a new area is not giving content, it's just another random circle with random things to hit for hours.
    PvE Balance... please......"life skill pvp balance" dafuq is that even supposed to be???....

Implementing a new battle ground with a new mode is something they could do fast and easy. But they don't even know their own game and the community is perma crying about nerf this, buff dat, gib new class.... They just see that there are 6 rbfs channels and usually only 1 is full, so they think we just don't like the battle ground modes in western, which is obviously false. It's not full for obvious reasons.

16. Dixs

I think, you have a very limited viewpoint of the community and the game you're playing. The community does not consist of only the Top 10 PvP-guilds. I don't even think, that they are the ones who make the game profitable, or that those are the players the devs want to please.

What I mean by Lifeskill-PvE-PVP balance is that there are many ways to get to where you want to be. I for example don't PvE at all. I lifeskill and PvP only. I still got two Pen-Weapons and a good GS, despite not grinding at the best spots.

What makes this game pretty unique is that you can focus on many different areas and still progress in others. A balancing example would be the nerf to SMH, so its not the absolute best way to make money, the imperial cooking crates buff to make it more profitable and on and on. They constantly add more grindspots/rework old ones and have the channel switch/Karma mechanic so you can still grind although you don't have the best gear/skill.

There are at least as many whales(if not more), who just want to enjoy the game. Explore, admire the graphics, compete in screenshot contests, quest, lifeskill, just grind, go on a boat cruise and fish a little AND buy every new costume and pet.

You only see the whales in your circle and I agree that the PvP community is the most vocal in forums and ingame. But even there you have a lot of ppl who don't want the game to be more focused on competitiveness. You probably don't see them in your guild, or the guild you compete with.

I think, you don't know the game you're playing. The first priority is and always will be to be profitable. The changes on focus and distributing of resources it would take to get to a competitive PvP gameplay would ruin the game in my opinion. The game you dream of doesn't and probably will never exist, unless a multi billionaire buys a studio and doesn't care about millions in losses.

The PvP community will always complain about imbalance, lack of content, progression, gear influence/non gear influence, competitiveness and on and on. That's the nature of PvP and I don't mind it at all. Sometimes the devs listen to those who cry the loudest. If it makes them care more about PvP, it's exactly what I want. I love PvP. It's probably a totally different kind of PvP than you are talking about though and I don't fit into your definitiont of a "real" PvP player. I don't care about winning, as long as it is a good back and forth fight. I don't have fun rolling over a guild in five minutes, because of numbers/GS/skill/levels/superior tactics or whatever.

I think, they should fix some obvious problems with the existing RBF first, before they create a new one. I like the RBF, when it's not just spawn-/chokepoint camping. They tried to hop on the Battle-Royal wagon and pretty much failed, as you said yourself. You underestimate the work it takes to create a good BG. They could just throw out a new map/mode, but it takes a lot of work to make it fun, in my humble opinion.

#16 Dixs, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  17. MinMaid

MinMaid Shai NA

Trial characters, new players, evasion builds and stupid people are the problem with rbf unless you can filter out the trash nothing will change.

18. Dixs

Yeah right....just get rid of everyone except me and those as toxic as myself. make it a private session for us and make the company employees slaves so they can work only for us and for no money.

Tell me, why do you feel that urge to publicly anounce, that those unlike you are trash? Tells more about your character, than you think.

Edit @Kauni: Btw, that's the reason why the game you want probably won't work. He's ( I assume) probably one of those guys, that you would call a "real" PvPer. A commuty of like minded people pretty fast destroys itself. Most of them rather play some shooter MMO's, MOBA etc. You seem to be a little more level minded and can contribute to a discussion. Ask yourself, if you want to be in a game with mostly those guys.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a competitive, non gear/level/class influenced BG. Can't see it happening though. Don't think it would be satisfying for "real" PvPers either. No more excuses.

#18 Dixs, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  19. Kauni

Kauni Archer 62 EU

I really do know a lot of PvP people since I PvP a lot.... and I can tell that there is not a single guy of them on the PvP or suggestions section. So I can not agree that PvP community is vocal, most people talking about PvP are so far away from the real BDO PvP that it hurts.

For the profit part I guess that's clear and they milked a lot already and implemented a lot of P2W, we still do lack PvP content, no matter how you wanna argue around it.
    Idk what you understood how I'd like the game but I couldn't find any argument (besides profit) why more or any PvP content would actually kill the game as you said earlier.

20. Dixs

I think we agree on most points. I don't think more PvP content would kill this game. A shift of focus, might though. It would take a big shift of focus to really balance it and make it a great PvP game. There is nothing wrong in wanting that, but I don't see that happening soon(TM).

We both want the same. More and better PvP.

I just think, it's better to ask for smaller stuff first. Might make one or the other dev think about it and say: "Hmmmm, yeah....we could do that." Fix some small stuff first, before attempting to release the next big thing.

I still think those "buff my class/ nerf all the others", "more bg's when" etc posts don't really help. I think their experience is, that they can't satisfy those ppl anyway, so why bother at all. That most posts about PvP are not about the real issues of PvP in BDO is exactly my point. It makes them think, that the BDO-Community doesn't know the first thing about PvP and the difficult work it involves.

I love the BDO combat-system. No tab-targeting and fast. Like you, I see a lot of untapped potential and would love to see them realize it. I do think however that there is a lot of content(yes, i want more) like open world, arena, RBF and NW/Siege. Some stuff can only be done by the community and might be what you want. Like 6v6 tournaments, open world guild battles. You can agree on GS to make it more competitive. Yes, there will always be issues. Personally I think it's the best PvP there is at the moment.

Yes, there are some who are dissatisfied with the state of the game. But do they really leave? Most stay and continue complaining. Those who come back often do it, because they just missed the game. When the big PvP/Balance overhaul happened, I didn't see many players come back and stay, because they liked the new PvP.

Back to topic. I just want some small changes. I don't want to start a "what's the meaning of life" discussion. Please just give us some small things. Pleeeeease.

P.S.: Dammit, I revealed my strategy. It's all over now ;)

Kauni likes this.