1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Free to Play

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Allan1985, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Allan1985

"Huh ? Your link states Tera went from sub based to f2p, as I stated"

as you said and proved in the link TERA was subscription based upon release, but it has NEVER limited your acces to the server regardless of having or not the subscription status active, in other words it was an subscription based game with full access to everything therefore optional, wich is exacty the oposite of what you stated here:

in other words it proves you wrong

#101 Allan1985, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Lord_Xenon

Can you explain this:

>“[Tera has] significantly higher subscribers on the Elite tier than when it had a mandatory subscription,” En Masse Entertainment chief executive officer Chris Lee told GamesBeat.<

Out of the linked article. Mandatory mean it's not optional.

Can you provide a list of what you can have/do and not with/without a subscription with said MMO Tera?

3. Allan1985

Tera subscription only ever gave you a list of small benefits:

Extra dungeons entrances
    Temporal premium mount (that lasted as long as the subscription status)
    Daily items rewards: a potion to recovery crafting points, a chest with random rewards, some potions to gain damage % (wich you could also buy in the MP)
    Double Vanguard points when finishing missions
    No fees while placing items in the MP
    Higher MP units listing limit

i might be missing something but thats what i remember right now, therefore completerly optional in my opinion.

#103 Allan1985, Jul 16, 2019
  4. SweetsDealer

Just put it simple, a player with Tera sub would gain double of everything a player without sub would gain. Dungeons, rewards, MP stuff and some more. The F2P player had access to everything but he was gaining currency and everything else slower than a player with a sub.
    Since the gear in Tera has a progressive curve the F2P players would be cannon fodder for players with a sub. While i was running +10 +11 top gear some other players with no sub were running +6 and they were playing for longer than me.
    If you call that a small benefit you are wrong mate.

KhaosThanathan likes this.
  5. Allan1985

allow me remind you that we are talking about the OPTIONALITY of the f2p bussiness model not the "fairness" of the bussiness model itself, TERA f2p bussines model was optional simply because you could acces the servers and therefore play the game even if you didnt have it, wheter your gameplay experience was optimal or diminished by the fact of not having it is simply part of the coerciveness the gaming industry implements in games to make microtransactions more appealing, but that, asyou can see would be another topic.

Even so, lets for moment imagine they are the same topic, and lets also imagine you are "forced" to buy it because of the reasons you stated: Since the gear in Tera has a progressive curve the F2P players would be cannon fodder for players with a sub. i stated initialy that BDO is not a f2p game and acording to your own words i would be right since the exat same argument you stated can be applied to BDO.

6. TeRRoRibleOne

There is no actual content hidden behind a paywall... and before someone goes off about diving to go to sycria, they have literally given free diving masks the last 2 yrs and will probably again tomorrow. Not to mention diving elixirs and a diving buff from an NPC. So what actual content is hidden behind a paywall? You can't say the purchase of the game due to the fact that they give it away for free a bunch lately. Valuepacks are an option, you don't need them to play the game.

Smileybones likes this.
  7. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

Just like bdo's value pack heh.

8. 2Cents

2019 Meta

Subscription + Early Access + P2W + Cosmetics + Battle pass + Adventure Pack + Upgraded Service + Premium + Unlimited Access + Paid Beta + Box Price

Apparently. the CEO's have been studying the Why Not Both MEME very closely.

9. iller

GUYS....

You can't use the "Pay to Convenience" excuse anymore. "Pay to Convenience" is what the game USED TO BE for the first couple years under Daum when the difference between the buy to player and the Pay to Faster players was surface deep.

But ever since they "unified" the versions to the KR f2p model, made the Potting mechanics VS. Spike DPS meta even worse, and massively adjusted the benefits of AP scaling, we've been in a new MANDATORY Meta where the Gear-Cap keeps being raised so often that the vast majority of players who are NOT paying to keep up, will never catch up now to the Gearscores needed for the latest "End Game" even despite the long delays between when KR gets it and when NA finally gets it.

There are no SO MANY large (50% or more) buffs from Pay to actually WIN items now (that didn't exist originally) that when when you add even a handful of them together you get a combination of advantages that are so great and so BAKED INTO the next planned progression threshold that the only reasonable way to even QUALIFY for the latest content is to always be buying those now necessary items from the cash shop.

10. TwilightAngel

Huh? I said that BDO is not P2W but offers a lot of pay for convenience items and that the true p2w like ArcheAge had, Aion, ArcheLord, SUN and others had direct power sold on the cash shop.

The other thing I pointed out that while yes a lot of BDO items are questionable or on that borederline of p2w... The items are still a pay for convenience.

Now the last part I touched on was the selling of cs items for in game money can be one of the crossing the line for many but still a pay for convenience since you can earn in game gold to buy items.

Pay for convenience is just speeding up the process and pay to win means you are given power directly from the cash shop and that power can only come from the cash shop

All the items you listed can be also gotten in game or through loyalty points. Again all are pay for convenience items

#110 TwilightAngel, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    Smileybones and Myntiix like this.
  11. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

They are not really necessary if you are just playing the game casually with no interest in pvp or if you do not want to do the new and yet to be released content but I agree with your comment. The gaming industry seems hell bent on destroying itself and the way it is going there will either be a big fallout from players leading to a large industry crash or world governments will step in to regulate this nonsense.

12. TwilightAngel

You know they are adding more items for players to catch up that is given in game by quest right? While those items can't be upgraded they are still offer other catch up mechanics that do not need the shop.

Also you can farm silver to buy that better gear. I did it for some my items that's I didn't have. I currently farming silver and doing turn-ins to get the silver for accessories since those are the only items I can careless to upgrading

Shhhhhh can't be reasonable or rational on these forms

**** EvE is p2w since real money actually has major effects in that game

#112 TwilightAngel, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  13. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

It would take years to max out each city's storage all you character inventory and weight limit just using the loyalties. City storage can be gotten for cp but those that buy direct from ps then have an advantage from those cp being freed up and spent on nodes or farms. Personal storage can only be gotten from the pearl shop with either real money or loyalties as can the weight. The time difference to max these is absolutely huge so again the real money can give a player a large benefit not a small one. The ghillie gives a decided advantage and can only be bought for real money. The problem is that people have different definitions of pay to win and pay for convenience but in the end they are really the same. If you spend money on this game you have a different and better experience than those that do not. That is pay to win in my eyes. More fun, better experience is a win. You cannot actually win anything else in this game but fun.

#113 Phoenixxx75, Jul 16, 2019
  14. iller

No I don't think that's accurate at all anymore. I'm talking primarily about PEE VEE EEE here and I'm SERIOUS too. Especially with the recent shifts towards almost exclusively PvE content b/c they seem to be giving up on any new PVP content entirely. But people here on the forums aren't even willing to understand what being NON-Competitive in this environment actually means. If you aren't able to fight at a competent level in the End Game within the "Season" or "Still Relevant" window that it comes out in and stays populated, then you are no longer even part of the Economy.

Most players here CRIED and SCREAMED and threw Tantrum after Tantrum when SeaMonsters were the most competitive PVE content. And they WON too, they got it nerfed into Dust. Whether I personally think that was justified or not, at the time; It was a competitive position of sorts in the playerbase and Economy for my specific Niche Guild to have had lots of experience (and GEAR that only a Sea & hunting themed Guild with multiple fully upgraded Guild-Boats could exploit to its fullest) as well as willing participants for.

Again, most people here won't open their goddamned eyes up to the reality of it, but if you are only getting in on the Accessory drops or Boss drops or Instanced Area drops a couple seasons AFTER no one else is still doing that content?, then you are at such a huge disadvantage by then (and lack of Allies or teammates for that matter to make it worthwhile) that you might as well be playing a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME FROM BLACK DESERT. And I mean that, you are literally no longer playing Black Desert at this point if the best thing you could farm currently is a Tree Belt or RCE for instance (that Patrigo still wants to sell for 30-40 mil) that only sells for 3mil on the Market b/c the entire "Level Cap" of the game has surpassed you so far that you're a joke to everyone.

If we look at the current PVE content, then a lot of people like me with every Boss Weapon TET'd, are practically at that "Joke" Tier because we don't also have the level 63/64 Accessories or TET tungrad and 15,000 caphras stones to fudge the stats towards the magical 253 AP threshold.

#114 iller, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  15. 2Cents

There are some serious fatal flaws to the "playing casual concept". If you are grinding in any profitable area, even lower GS ranges you may encounter forced PVP. You may also have no choice, but to leave immediately if your GS isn't sufficient. If you can't kill your opponent you must leave. It's simply to easy to kick players out by mob feeding them. You can see your opponents HP and adjust your dmg as needed. You can also spam CC all day.

When you switch channels your likely to just have another camped spot to boot.
    This is a defect I have brought up for a very long time, but not much was ever done about it.

16. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

You seem to be over exaggerating. If I can not do the harder content now I doubt that I would be the only one. If only 5% can do it now I am sure I will have company when I am geared enough to do so.
    Not to mention that new players are starting all the time. They also will be unable to do star's end and the altar of blood for quite some time. There is no rush to end game for me and many others. I play the game to fill in time if I get to end game quickly then I will have nothing to do.

17. 2Cents

Kind of like life
    • Young people want to be out of School, Retired, enjoying the golden years
    But
    • Old people just want to be young again

18. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

No you are not forced to pvp at any time as you can server swap or change alt and do something else and try later. I do not need to have it all and have it now.
    Aside from this as a player who plays nearly every day I still play casually and will continue to do so. I hardly ever grind as I find it boring and am quite prepared to leave if someone comes to where I am at and kills me.
    The only time I will not leave is if I am doing a guild mission in the area. In that case I will try to message the attacker and say I am doing a gm and then I will keep killing mobs no matter how many times someone kills me. I will however never fight back I will just let them kill me over and over until I finish the gm and then I will leave.

19. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

I am old and I am quite happy with that situation so I am not sure what your point is.

20. 2Cents

The point is that many people can't accept and be happy with where they are. They instead always think the grass is greener on the other side. You may handle it well and be at peace with where your at in the game. However, many have a hard time doing that. Good on you, but the point is many just can't do find that.