1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refusing to add new menu fuctions to old UI is not how to convince use new one

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by AtomicPotato, Aug 5, 2020.

1. woots

exactly

2. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Alright dude. Then you keep moving up to an NPC, pressing CTRL to free the cursor, then move to the cursor to talk so you can click it and then move the mouse to what you wanna open. Im sure you gonna have a great time.

3. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat DarkKnight 62 NA

All the NPC mouse (and head) movement is because of another stupid decision that came with the new UI to move the dialog text and clickable responses so far away from each other. Even if you use the keyboard shortcuts for that, you still have to do all that movement. Several times I've talked to an NPC and sat there staring at the middle of my screen thinking, "ok, wtf am I supposed to do now?" Only to realize, "oh yeah, I need to look for the available responses at the faaaaaar right side of my screen." This whole "new UI" is bad.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  4. Ned Sheynji

You dont get the point, right? Im talking about the circle that pops up when you approach an NPC, which has nothing to do with new UI.

5. LesserHellspawn

The mouse system for talking to an NPC is clunky and slow, as there even is a pause after each click, so that is keyboard only. On the main menu, it's one simple click on one of the tiles.

Life2v, Wodahs and MoonDance17 like this.
  6. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat DarkKnight 62 NA

Oh, that one. I didn't even know you could mouse-click that one. The NPC interaction you mentioned has nothing to do with what people hate about the new menu and is just bringing in a straw man.

7. Sandpit_

Old menu is there and used by MANY people, so they should support it.

If they want everyone to use the new menu then perhaps they should make it half way decent are properly configurable.

I suspect it's just an oversight, hopefully

Wodahs and MoonDance17 like this.
  8. Korvgubben

Enforcing that control scheme would be quite on pair with the console escape menu thats for sure.

Jinoro likes this.
  9. LesserHellspawn

There's both a banner and a button telling you to use the new menu, it certainly isn't an oversight.

MoonDance17 and Jinoro like this.
  10. Factorial

I think you are being willfully ignorant here.

We are talking about menus not interactions with objects. Those are two specific and very different instances where the correct application results in maximum efficiency. No one clicks on an NPC when there is the R key or whatever you set it to. That instance is vastly different from menu-driven tasks.

Get a better example at the very least.

Life2v and Wodahs like this.
  11. Sandpit_

Well that's shite then

12. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Nope time to stop playing on pc if they disregard the opinions of their pc player base.

MisterJoy and warriors like this.
  13. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

I agree, alienating your playerbase is not the way of introducing change to them.

Fearless V and Wodahs like this.
  14. Riandrisael

Yep seems pretty shitty they can update the old UI window to have things to tell you to use the new window or update things to remove functions but they can't add things to the new window lol. So, we get the bad with the new update and we get none of the good, good job on that PA.

Wodahs likes this.
  15. Ned Sheynji

Im willfully trying to come up with the dumbest possible example to show why the arguments for the old UI are dumb and the new is clearly functionally better.

People who argue why the old UI is better in this thread have been saying stuff like: "New UI is bad cus its for consoles and therefore they dont have a mouse. Mouse is superior input device" Which obviously tells those people fking love to drag their mouse over the screen and click on UI elements instead of using keyboard commands. Which then obviously includes clicking the button on the NPC wheel instead of pressing R. Which obviously NOBODY WITH A WORKING BRAIN ACTUALLY DOES. So if those people argue that the old UI is better cus its made for a mouse then im assuming that those people are retarded enough to also click to talk instead of pressing R like a normal person. Or they are just hypocrites.

We are talking UI here. If you move your mouse to press talk or press R, If you move your mouse to open the storage or press 2, or if you move your mouse to open your BS adventure instead of putting it into your menu favorites and press 1-9 depending on where you put it. Its always the same principle. You either move your mouse and click or move your hand and press. And im 100% confident to state that moving your hand is easier because
    A. you dont have to drag the weight of your mouse
    B. you dont have to fight against the friction your mouse has to the surface of your desk
    C. Your hand is probably already positioned closer to the buttons 1-9 anyway due to WASD controls. And if not 1-9 then at least 1-6 are relatively easy to reach. And some things like Quests are bound to W or R and not 7 or 9 so they thought about those out of reach buttons as well and try to not force you to hit buttons like 0 for example.

So there you go. Anatomically better designed UI. How much more objective do we have to get before people finally realize their stupidity? At this point it just becomes obvious that those people are just way too attached to the old UI and too stubborn to adapt, ultimately halting the potential progress of the game for no reason other than to satisfy their inability to learn new things.

#35 Ned Sheynji, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  16. LesserHellspawn

I have to memorize quite a few keyboard inputs in BDO anyway. In the old menu I have just one single slate, where picking the icon I want is 10 times more user friendly than memorizing (and setting up in the first place) which is what in the new menu. Not the entire new UI is bad, but the new menu is horrible.

Factorial and Wodahs like this.
  17. Sandpit_

18. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

The new UI doesent work with My keybinds. And I dont trust PA to fix it so it can work with MY set-up so they just need to leave it.
    I use left click to move. I can actually play with one hand that way, since i have a 20 button mouse. When i click on anything in the new UI, or even an NPC, it goes haywire. the game only works when I have the old UI. ALt is my evade/run and "A,s,d,f,e,q,z,x,c" are my action keys, shift is sit, and block, "w" is back/block. Tab activates mouse. ~ is ping. and i have free rain for 1,2,3,4.

Thats my reason.

Shadow arena for me was a clusterf$%k as well since you could not adjust the keybinds. So i never got to experience it.

#38 Kynreaa, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  19. Ned Sheynji

finally a somewhat objective complaint.

20. Skol600ml

-People defending old UI: I like the old one because you can see everything you need in one screen, does't matter its confusing and i spend almost 1 minute looking for a icon
    -People defendi new UI: You can keep all important stuff in one screen, you can even choose what's is important, you can even create shortcuts so you don't even need to open the ****ing UI.
    -People defending old UI: Huhgg dhhok hlihhd bhuuuuuuu

Lurien, ODB3698 and Keldorn like this.