1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refusing to add new menu fuctions to old UI is not how to convince use new one

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by AtomicPotato, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Mars713

2. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

This topic sadly is only a display of most posters' intolerance to other people's choices. The real objectively superior solution is letting people choose the UI they like, while fully supporting BDO functionalities with both of them.

3. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

This is the best comment you have made in a long time. I wanted to like it one hundred times.

4. Reywhisper

It is not intolerance. Choosing UI as they like is ismlpy not an option. Doubling on front end devs managing two UIs because some people refusing to adapt would cost too much resources.

If devs do nothing, players complain about no new content. If devs do something, players complain about new things.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no majority ofp eople who strongly prefer old UI over new one. Just as there is no majority of people who strongly prefer old one. Most people simply dont care, some, like me, thinks new UI looks cool even if adapting is inconvenient for few days.

But such inconvenience is not game breaking tragic event. Quite contrary, after getting used to new UI I find it much more easy to navigate through it.

Speaking of intolerance, intolerant is the person who throws tantrum over new UI and DEMANDS all features for the old one, which would effectively achieve nothing but more unnecesary work for front end devs.

Games are changing. This game too will change over time. New classes will be added, new regions will be added and those demands for new features on old UI is equivalent of demanding Kamasylvia mobs in Velia.

5. Reywhisper

Besides like or dislike of interface is subjective matter. You dont like new UI? Well tough luck, devs cant aestheticaly please everyone. But it is how it is now, so get use to it. And give it a chance, new UI is not some boogey man as being presented by some but quite nice change tbh, at least in my opinion.

Only thing I personally dislike is new skill tree, at least few tweaks should be done there, like faster learning of multiple skills whcih cant be done atm.

6. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

No one asking them to rework perfectly fine UI, we want content, but not changing UI no one asked for. They basically fired PC team and enforcing everything from console to PC, because they give no fcks about PC at all.
    Balance ? Nah take new UI. Fixing bugs ? nah take new U. New content ? nah take new UI.

MisterJoy and MoonDance17 like this.
  7. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Cool story, however BDO devs chose to feature 2 UIs, therefore they must support them. They didn't chose to enforce new UI so they have to deal with consequences.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  8. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

They tried, ppl start to complain a lot and they was "forced' to give a choice.

9. LesserHellspawn

They're sure still trying hard to nudge us to the new menu, but nope, won't go. I also have the old display of the character info in the top left still active, way more informative and less flashy and annoying.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  10. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

I don't know, ESC menu is 1 out of what 10, 20, 30 ? UI parts ? Why is the ESC menu is almost the only one given that treatment while people have abundantly cried about every change made to the whole UI ?

11. LesserHellspawn

That's all we can ask, really. They still have three tile spaces free on the old menu and could get another full row of 7 where the banner is sitting.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  12. Reywhisper

Its like windows XP. Lot of folks still using it but its no longer supported. And it is obvious support for old UI is over. That is the sad fact of progress. You can still use old UI but new functions will be limited to new UI and odds are every new function added from now will also be featured in new UI only.

13. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

I agree, maintaining a whole operating system operates on the same cost scale than a menu featuring a couple tens of buttons, brilliant example.

Additionally, I don't know how you define "lots of folks", but according to this website, the market share of Windows XP is currently close to 0:

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

14. LesserHellspawn

Windows 7 has maintained a stable share after the end of support though. I've adopted Windows10 and 8 as soon as they came out, but I opted out of their start menus. There are a few and cheap options to keep the Windows 7 start menu functionality but with modern style makeover out there.

15. woots

And thanks we still have access to the original health / mp ( or whatever the others names ) bar. the new one also is awfull, such a huge step backward with the absence of any customization possibility.

Korvgubben likes this.
  16. Korvgubben

Did you make the "old UI" the one the wast majority of ppl would prefere intentionally? :P

If it were about resources the best option would have been to not create the new UI in the first place. Also a new UI is not content.

Life2v and MoonDance17 like this.
  17. woots

kekw, its exactly that xD

18. Mars713

Of course it is.
    When smileys, stickers and other ways to show emotions were just gaining popularity, a similar battle was also taking place. Only that its direction was opposite (then the positions of the inserted photos were reversed).
    Even the arguments were similar, picture writing,
    cave paintings, going backwards ...
    But as it turns out, the content conveyed by icons/pictures
    is more universal and understandable in any language.
    In the era of globalization and an open world,
    the ability to accurately express content is a must.
    Communication is essential.

MoonDance17 and Korvgubben like this.
  19. Korvgubben

I wholeheartedly agree.

Way back I had a pretty snarky attitude against smileys/emojis but I changed my attitude once I learned how useful they were at bridging language barriers back in my early days of mmo gaming.

Nowadays even my work collegues in their 50's or even 60's use the occasional smiling emoji in emails/text messages.

20. Shawnn

I mean, I feel like this alone should have ended the conversation.