1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remastered

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by TwilightAngel, Jul 26, 2018.

1. TwilightAngel

PA did state this graphics update would bring in optimization also

But we will have to see what all entails during the showcase

2. woots

Unless PA also did somes rework to their engine, i have hard time to see how an external company work adding somes "whatever" filter would help improove performance.

Even more when thoses filter stuff are going to have a on / off option ( so far i remember ), and thanks god for that.
    Thoses stuff might, maybe, seem cool for somes ppl and ( imho ) only to do somes candy eyes screenshot and even promote the BDO visual.
    But i would personaly never ever enable such sh#t for a "everyday" gameplay.

Anyway, that's PA.. they still miss what make a game a real great game.

3. Kuu

Kuu

Actually they're constantly working on their engine. You just haven't bother to read or notice.

Just last week they redid the low-end settings. It changed the look and performance of optimal and low settings.

They've been tinkering with the lightning engine like every month now, if you have an eye for detail, and they also periodically changed the high end mode as well.

Basically they do stuff, and you're just oblivious, so when they announce a remaster, you're behind the times.

Smileybones likes this.
  4. RP Tzuyu

pop in doesnt happen in kama regions.... much... but gooddamn god it’s annoying

5. RP Tzuyu

6. Kuu

Kuu

no pop in happens too deadly in Kama regions. The dreaded pillar popping in and then getting stuck inside if you're sprinting on a horse.

But they've been working on pop-ins every so often in the background at a consistent rate now. People with fast horses see it pretty often between patches where they tweak the pop-in objects that produces the most annoyance. Such as the velia carts, which got bumped up in loading priority etc, etc.

Graviera likes this.
  7. Factorial

white knighting hard

8. rachcouture

rachcouture Valkyrie 60 NA

The amount of people that can't comprehend the benefit of a new set of higher quality, more optimized shaders is baffling. Outside of LoD pop-in, BDO's biggest visual downfall has always been its wonky shader code that's caused nothing but issues from day 1.

I've been looking forward to this for a very long time now. Hoping it comes sooner than later.

9. woots

Still doesnt change that i specificaly spoke about the "graphic udpate" which is more likely the filter made by the other company
    So as i said, adding something made by others wont help for optimization. ( like i dont remember who / to lazy to scroll back, implied )

As for the black engine itself, yeah the prop poping is even more awfull, that to certainly help performance. & more than certainly to prepare the Console version.
    The game also increased in CPU usage

as for the lightning, unless you provide clear & precise comparison, i'am more going to be tempted to say : that's in your head. i've seen no difference. ( unless you speak about somes ToD tweak, which is something totaly different )
    For the "high end" well that's flagged as "beta" since a while,so yeah.. the word say it all.

#49 woots, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  10. rachcouture

rachcouture Valkyrie 60 NA

Hair and transparency shaders were tweaked a few weeks back. It's most notable on light dye and hair colors; the shine/luster is different. The moon casts more accurate lighting with a moving spot light on the ground. Sunrays have been improved considerably.

Just a few things I've noticed lately that have changed.

11. Kuu

Kuu

Shadow mapping and others have been reworked considerably if you look at it through the year. the Trees especially is noticeable, since self and shadow and shadow depth looks much better (though some of it looks off every now and then).

Also if anyone remember the reddit post, a few months back. the mirrors, all changed in BDO, actually giving back a reflection, instead of frosted textures.

Some people I guess just don't have an eye for attention to details.

12. Caexx

this music i can get behind :D

ViktoryiaV likes this.
  13. woots

hair still are fked yeah. hair color still are so so depending of the lightning tho.
    Moon light casting is a very tiny thing, and i cant say anything since never paid attention to that, so again, provide comparison if you can.
    Sunrays still is the same "volumetric" things since day 1 tho ( kinda like crysis1 was doing back in the days with the shadow ray things ( dont know the correct naming of that ) ), nothing have changed.

Nothing of thoses things fit into the optimization category tho, but visual "tweak" / "improovement" sure

So, my initial point still havent changed.

14. Kuu

Kuu

I'm not quite sure how you can categorize that. and Frankly you're doing a disservice to all the graphics and engine programmer's blood soaked hard work, downplaying it like that.

In fact some programers would find it almost insulting, that their efforts slaving at code, be degrade to being call a "tweak" on the engine.

The lightning and shader engine in BDO seems to be constantly tweaked and changed it seems, which show how massively OCD the graphics department at PA is, and how much creative and budget leeway they're allow to have in BDO, when you can see monthly and weekly changes to something developers often not touch for years.

And also induces a lot of bugs I must say on a regular basis, when they don't get it quite right (I remember all the "my hair color suddenly changed", Supersaiyan hair glow in the moonlight, ninja going bald, heh, etc, etc, etc.

Say what you will about PA, but in terms of graphics these guys are pretty crazy. They are not afriad to tweak, change, and most certainly break things regularly on a constant basis.

If I were to say the BDO graphics engine from Launch to now, it might have been so changed and gutted, it might even be consider a different engine almost.

and you call it filters....how degrading.

Finally the remaster probably also came along as they were working on the xb1, which means they would have had to go in and gut the graphics engine no matter what anyway.

Smileybones likes this.
  15. RP Tzuyu

some of them are slow to load up.... but outside of kama.... everything is a pop in

16. Kuu

Kuu

Pop-ins is the nature of the game. The only way to fix it, is a faster computer, or slowing down the user (we have faster and faster horses from the days of T3-T5).

What they did do was tweak the priority of which loads earlier, and which loads later. Sure there's engine optimization involved, but it's a lot more, how much power you can dictate to it. Like if you put it in the highest priority, you rubberband, or stutter the game. And if you give frivolously assigned high priority on certain objects, instead of say, players, then people will complain in battles.

I think so far it's been an object by object basis, but they have been mucking with the physics engine every so often, when you consider all the bugs we had every couple of patches.

17. Stabby

Why go thru the trouble? Why not just build BDO 2? It should have been under construction already, not some garbage cartoony game like WoW.

18. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Juicey_Lemon Witch 61 NA

Stating facts is not white knighting. Grow up kid.

19. Kuu

Kuu

Because it seems PA has a hard on for being perfectionist at graphics. You could probably say it maybe part of their culture there. The fact they're allow to spend so much development effort on fixing the way a cape flaps for example means it was thumbs up on the highest level.

I think in an old interview, they mentioned something about spending 5 months slowly fixing something with hair...and we still get updates and bugs to hair every so often. And of course the dreaded "so and so on costume was fix" on the class balance bulletpoint.

Face it, PA has an OCD for graphics and looks, it's just an aspect of who they are.

20. Factorial

stop white knighting do better come on now