1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove karma system it doesn't work in NA

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by GamePois0n, Aug 4, 2017.

1. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 60 NA

I don't think most of you deal with it. I think most of you simply don't care and there is a difference.

2. Columba

yeah musa. no issue.

3. Heartsong

4. AlexHuaTIan

Then why punch them at all if they just stand there with no signs of fighting back? Im not sure how they arent spawning from the nearest node or town. Is it due to some kind of item they have to spend points on? If so, thats a penalty right there for simply being killed without your consent. If you want to lure large amount of mobs and out farm then feel free to do that.

A grinding zone is free and open for everyone to farm. How each individual chooses to farm that spot is up to them. There is no penalty for it. Its not any different to afk fishing in Velia. People bring our own unique set of rods, or have different level of fishing skills. And they afk fish in crowded areas that are clearly labeled exhausted. You dont kill everyone next to you. If you dont like it, find a different fishing spot. But attacking another player for just being next to you should be penalized.

#444 AlexHuaTIan, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Columba and Morwath like this.
  5. Vanwaros

And sometimes you kidnap some autofishers and kill them at sea for fun

#445 Vanwaros, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. t0ny

Tip: If you want the developers to even notice you don't put so little effort on making a thread. Express yourself with a nice text without being rude or offensive and you may even be surprised!

7. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 60 NA

You are supposed to be able to "punch" them and it have an effect. Grinding zones are meant to be conflict areas, you are meant to fight over them. They are not meant for everyone. Which is why they provide more than one area to go to. If they intended everyone to only be in one place ever, they'd only make one place.

Interesting that you bring up fishing though. It's a good comparison. Imagine if you were fishing and someone stood beside you and started fishing and in doing so made the waters exhausted. Now your fishing is severely crippled because of their action. Imagine if they made a tool where you could do something about that.

8. AlexHuaTIan

And it does have an effect. If forces them to respawn and run back to the place they died at. If they have an item, they can respawn immediately. If they purchase that item, it penalizes their loyalty points, or real money. These areas are meant for everyone. Which is why everyone has the freedom to enter these areas to grind. The game allows everyone to do that. It also allows you to move to a different spot if you dont like it.

As for the fishing. I get along quite nicely that I am fishing with dozens of other people in the same area. Even though the area is exhausted. Im fine with the current mechanics. And dont feel the need to kill everyone around me.

9. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 60 NA

If everyone was meant to be there, why would they make more than one spot? If everyone was meant to be there why are there limited amounts of mobs? Why would someone move to another spot if everyone is meant to be at this one?

The game is about conflict. You are meant to fight over resources. Being forced to spawn at a node, or use a tear if you feel it necessary are non-consequences. They carry no meaning and do not make a person give thought whether they should return to the area or not.

Limiting the amount of times you are capable of fighting over resources, without having consequences for the other party means it's only a waiting game for the victims. Which means the aggressor, or defender in some cases, will never win.

If karma is supposed to make someone give pause to think about their actions, why doesn't the other player also require a pause to think about their actions? Well, because their actions carry no consequences that's why. The tool that is supposed to give them pause to think of their consequences is broken. It needs fixed. Whether you personally choose to use it or not is your decision.

10. AlexHuaTIan

Everyone is free to be there. Which is why there isnt a que that pops up and forces you to wait for your turn before entering a grinding spot. You are also free to leave the area if you think the area is exhausted or contested. You are free to kill someone for being in the same spot, and they are forced to spawn at the nearest node. But all of these actions have consequences. Killing creates negative karma and spawning immediately means you have to purchase a tear. Everyone is faced with consequences when making either decision. Its part of the game mechanics. Penalties for killing should be harsh. Its also like this in civil society. Although others argue its not harsh enough. I fish in crowded zones. And its never bothered me. And grinding in exhausted spots wouldnt bother me either.

11. GamePois0n

Did you not been reading my past karma posts?

in case you been missing out on what I been saying, everytime I grind at sausan main rotation WITH A GROUP, and then 1 or 2 people start coming later after 30-60mins and when we told them to stop (FULL PARTY) they just ignore and not respond and keep on grinding once you kill them, they just keep on coming back for no reasons. It is so ****ing aids because there is nothing you can do about it because either their guilds are undeccable or they have no guild.

12. lullabee

you could always stop a pker karmagriefer by asking help, it could actually end in a fun experience (hunt the pker karmagriefer)!

13. Morwath

Morwath Kunoichi EU

Karma threads always remind me of...

14. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 60 NA

That is exactly why everyone is not supposed to be there, because there are no turns or a queue to enter into your own safe area. If everyone where meant to be there, it would be instanced and everyone could farm free of danger. That is not how the game was designed, nor meant to be played.

As I said, spawning at a node, near by no less, or using a tear to respawn are both non-consequences. They don't stop to make you think if you should come back or not. You've lost seconds at best by spawning at the nearest node. Less than that if you decide to use a tear, which are free by the way.

Exactly, you do not care about your time enough to be bothered with efficiency or it's rewards.

You want to talk about civil society, if someone punches you in the face and knocks you to the ground, I bet you give precious thought to what you do next. That is not the case here, because as we've already discussed, getting punched in the face in this game means absolutely nothing.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  15. AlexHuaTIan

No, I mean a que that prevents you from entering. Like you are number 4002. Wait for your number sort of thing at the DMV. Since the developers dont put you into a line. Its clear the designers want anyone who wants to enter, the freedom to enter.

Tears cost 100 LP and you only get 100 LP a day. Thats one tear a day.

In real life, the consequences to punching someone in the face is not negative karma. Its usually getting arrested which is why you dont see people pvping in real life as often as you do in BDO. lol.

Assault 4 and charged as a felony:
    1. The person has previously been convicted of assaulting the same victim;

2. The person has previously been convicted at least 3 times under the assault statute

Assault in the Fourth Degree. Assault 4th Degree (Assault 4), is a gross misdemeanor. RCW 9A.36.041 As such, it is punishable by up to a maximum of 365 days in jail and a $5,000 fine.

#455 AlexHuaTIan, Aug 13, 2017
  16. Thelle

I mean the consequence of going red only matters if you die. Just don't go red if you're in a situation where you could die.

In about 3/4th of the times I choose to go red against a player, they do not have the resources to keep up with my persistence. Either they run out of tears, loyalty, or patience or they simply don't have a friend network strong enough to back them up.

No worthwhile guild that I remember condones this passive aggressive cheek spreading.

If you don't have the wherewithal to beat, oust, or outsmart someone who doesn't mind going red, you're in a losing battle. I've had people just rejoice over making me red and say "Haha, now you'll loose all your gems!" Not if I don't die, and I just keep farming the mobs and the players.

In such cases, who is really losing out? The red player with a renewed incentive to grind or the player who just spent $20 or 2k loyalty on tears to "make one share."

Yeah, there is no penalty for pvp deaths.

There is also no penalty for repeatedly killing a player, even spawn killing a player. The onus is on them to ress at a safe location, and I have never been banned for anything-- hour+ long consecutive killing sprees and karma bomber hunts included.

Play the game and don't get played.

Columba likes this.
  17. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 60 EU

If you could make a karmagriefer stop by killing him there would be no problem at all.

You sir have more time or patience than most of us making karmagriefers not your problem at all. (if u were on their side i would be scared)

Some karmagriefers can actually kill you, they wont even try if u are not red though yet when ur red they will try to nonstop. (such hypocrisy here... isnt this just like saying that having the other lose something on pvp kills makes pvp a good way to actually take the spot!)

Anyways, this leaves everyone without a good way to decide who should keep the spot except for the "lets see who is more toxic here" when there isnt an agreement.

This is the problem as i have been repeating for a while.

We as a community try to "fix" it with a "duel protocol", forum posts like this one and as Thelle said, by having worthwhile guilds not allowing that "passive aggressive cheek spreading" still there is always people that cannot see that the way karma works is making this problem exist and keep spreading toxicity all around (hello columba!).

If you compare a pk to a punch in the face that means ur not playing a game ut taking it way too seriously.
    Pvp is just part of the game, getting killed is more like losing a game of "rock paper scissors" than getting punched in the face!

Why a duel? Because you are grinding at that spot to get exp and/or gear to in the end fight against other players wich means you somehow enjoy or should (otherwise its kind of pointless to grind in a particular good spot as any other spot could work and be less anyoing to everyone else unless thats what you actually want, to be anoying.) so pvp sounds like a good way to decide.

By duel i must say im not just referring the actual feaute the game has but the act of fighting another player let it be with karma loss or without it.

I must say i think this is working because i had more people asking for duels at spots than karmagriefers lately (could be because i dont usually go to sausans nor pirates lately) yet the problem wont be completly fixed till karma mechanics get a revamp or something else gets added.

#457 Otrsor, Aug 13, 2017
    Vanwaros and Reigne Irkalla like this.
  18. AlexHuaTIan

And Karma is part of the game. If you consider negative karma equal to being put in prison for 365 days and paying a 5000 dollar fine. Then clearly you are taking the game too seriously. The current penalties are really not that big. How often have you punched someone at the checkout counter because the line was too long. I would imagine never. But in a video game with a current karma mechanics. Im sure you would if it got you to the front of the line.

19. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 60 NA

Yes I know what you meant, it's spelled "queue." They would make it instanced or a queue system if everyone was intended to be here. It's not meant for everyone, which is why they make alternate spots as well. Because this is a conflict driven game and you are supposed to fight over the resources.

Isn't 1 tear a day good enough? How many does 1 person need? I use my loyalty to purchase them and I have around 100 now, I rarely used them.

I only used the "civil society" because it's the terminology you used. You can not honestly compare video games, specifically ones set in a medieval era, with modern day reality and it's laws. You don't see people running around with swords, scythes and six foot tall cats made of ink in the real world.

20. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 60 EU

Either you dont understand what i write or you are not reading it at all.