1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remove or Increase Mob Aggro Limit

Discussion in 'PvE' started by Azagoth, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Azagoth

Where is the thrill of only being able to kill a limited amount of mobs at any one given time? We spend countless hours to increase our gear\skills\etc. to always be handicapped in our kill potential.

It's an unnecessary gate. I don't even care if the pets can't even pick up the loot fast enough, I just want to be able to pull hordes of mobs for the fun factor. For a game focused around combat, gear chasing, class chasing...I don't understand the design.

I've heard the argument about one player being able to control an area, but that is already kind of an "issue" by game design. And, isn't this a game of conflict anymore (i.e. controlled resources\grind spots, pvp)?

2. The_Doughnut

I agree. Where some people may not see it as fun or challenging, it is in fact both. An example is doing the double pull at Mirumok solo, and handling it as if it were a party of three. It's the challenge of controlling/killing the mobs and staying alive, all while being effective. The grind areas are already limited. There are what, thirty six total channels? Sometimes you can't even find an open rotation or finish an hour without being contested. If I could do thirty minutes of hardcore grinding, that was equivalent to an hour, that would be great. Yes, there are try-hards who will still grind for hours on end. That will not change. But, in the end agris and loot scrolls control your grind session anyways.

3. MADE

The reason behind it is technical one. The potato servers barely can't handle the current load, if you could pull limitless amount of monsters, due to the wast amount of spawn in some areas, it would heavily increase the load.

Varvarin and Patrik2991 like this.
  4. MisterJoy

The feels if you remember old games with aoe classes, which were supreme since you could kite 40-100 mobs to aoe them with your bad ass aoe skills.

5. FairlyEnjoyable

FairlyEnjoyable Lahn 62 NA

For low level mobs, sure. But for high end grind spots, no thanks.

6. Varvarin

They say: Be careful what you wish for. If you want to aggro infinite amount of mobs, this means that your AOE skills should hit unlimited amount of mobs/players. And much more work would be put into that and much more problems.

7. Eynix

As usual in BDO, this limit is a bad fix to a real problem.

By the way, removing this limit doesn't mean monsters shouldn't reset if they go too far from their original place - like in any other MMO -, nor it should concern PvP -like in any other MMO-. I don't believe in the server load argument either. To me it's just a way to prevent players to be too efficient.

8. MADE

Maybe. But you only need to update an NPC when it's in combat. If it isn't in combat, it saves lot of resources, so that can be used to optimize load.

9. Unranked

Unranked Unranked Striker 64 EU

oww ********, mobs dont freeze when out of combat. The amount of extra reasources an active mob takes are in no way relevant to for example siege, city centers or whatever else. Besides if you go to a duo spot and pull more packs, or ancient sausans/pirates when we went there with 5 man parties and pulled everything in render distance, these examples didnt blow up your computer either, did they?

10. MADE

We aren't talking about your computer... no one cares about your computer...
    We are talking about server resource here.

Technically NPC AI works by getting updated in every few hundred ms. A NPC, which isn't in combat doesn't really need to be updated frequently, even if they only update it every sec or two, it still fine, as they only doing visual things like moving around etc.
    But in active combat, the frequency you update the NPC, heavily affect how responsive the combat will be, hence (usually) there is a difference in update frequency in most games.

Well that's true, that in bdo, NPC's don't have very good or responsive AI in general, but it's more likely due to the low update frequency, and not cause it would be to hard to script them better.

11. Unranked

So in basis you are against this proposal based on a theoretic problem nobody is able to notice or prove?

12. MADE

You should learn to read and carefully understand written text, then read the topic again, and ask this question for yourself again, and you will find it out.

13. Unranked

Typical reply reply of someone who is out of arguments.

I think it would be fine, considering the agro range will never be altered, meaning all the strain this change can put on the servers would already happen if more people enter the area. Oh no wait, that will be an even harder strain on the servers because a skill spamming player consumes more server resources then all the mobs you can pull without them resetting due to agro range.

Also not sure why you called it limitless amounts of monsters in your earlier comment because in bdo mob agro distance is so bloody short you will only be able to pull 3-4 groups at best in the densest, most closely packed zones. And this is in terms of server resources is nothing compared to a 3 player party grinding golems at max apm, and that in turn is nothing compared to any form of pvp. And since when is combat responsivenes a problem with grinding anyways? It is really more of a pvp thing, and tbh, even there its not that bad.

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  14. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

Tin foil tells me they do this so players aren't too efficient for their liking.