1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Returning - State of the game and classes?

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by UnRaVeLinG, Jun 23, 2018.

1. UnRaVeLinG

Hello everyone!

I'm a returning player who hasn't played since August 2017 I believe and I am currently trying to catch up on all the changes that seem to have happened recently.

Trying to do research online is next to impossible, because there's hardly any up-to-date information. I don't expect to be spoon fed every little thing and will be grateful for every piece of information. Here goes, thanks a lot!

1) I heard there were some changes to accuracy with people recommending AP off-hands over Accuracy off-hands for PvP, which is new to me. I usually go with Kutum for PvE, which should I get for PvP? AP or Accuracy? Are Red Coral Earrings still worth getting or should I just keep using my Witches'? Is evasion still a useful stat or should I go full DR?

2) Apparently there were also severe changes to CC/SA/other effects on all classes. Does this affect the way I should gear my character?

3) I would like to start a new character but am aware that it's hard to get a feel for your class until ~level 58/59 when more flows are unlocked in the awakening trees. I am mostly interested in solo grinding and 1v1 PvP. Are there any classes that are absolutely abysmal in these two areas and that I should stay away from?

4) I am also interested in what class could be fun for PvP (no siege) and not be a chore to grind. Apparently there were a lot of nerfs and buffs, jumbling things up. I am looking for a fast-paced class with a somewhat high skill ceiling, that is mobile and has a lot of combo potential. My old main is a Dark Knight and the awakening playstyle bored me so much that I quit at level 59. I'm primarily looking at Tamer, Kunoichi, Ninja, Maehwa, Musa or Sorceress. I have a 56 Tamer, 57 Kunoichi, 57 Maehwa, and 56 Musa. Which of these do you think has the most engaging playstyle at level 58+?

Tamer was buffed? Is Heilang still retarded?
    I am not keen on trying Ninja because grinding is supposedly a massive pain.
    I really didn't like the Kunoichis Hoola Hoop, does it change a lot at 58/59/60?
    Maehwa seems to be dead?
    Musa seems to have been good some time ago but is slow, "braindead", and boring now?
    Sorceress seems to suck in 1v1?

I would seriously appreciate your unbiased (as much as possible) opinions on these classes. I am also open for other recommendations. For example Mystic looks fun but I hear she's really boring to play, similar to Dark Knight?

Thanks a lot everyone and I apologize for asking so much of you!

2. Shutara

Shutara Shutara Ninja 57 EU

Well...there are patch notes if You consider them reliable source of in-depth information. Don't worry though, You are better off without reading them.

About the other questions - cannot provide satisfying information as I've simply lost most of my interest in this game for no particular reason. Enjoying Guild Wars 2 atm :)

3. 0ppa

why are u still here in the forums then ???? lol u guys r so weird

Spectrari likes this.
  4. SingedKitty

Wait til they fix wizards next week

5. Shutara

For the exact same reason as You. How is that weird? If so, that makes two of us weirdos.

6. UnRaVeLinG

I had over 14000 hours active playtime in the original Guild Wars and went into GW2 with full HoM rewards on 3 accounts. Quit the game after 6 months... I agree that it's a great game, but it lacks everything that made me enjoy the original Guild Wars and after I fell for PvP in Tera I'm struggling to go back to non action-combat. :/

I was under the impression that together with Witch, Wizard is the probably most boring class in the game, as well as quite bad for 1v1? Am I misinformed?

7. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Keep your kutum for grinding, get a nouver when you can just for PvP.

Don't get red coral earrings, stick with your witch's until you can replace them with tungrad in the future depending on your luck.

Accuracy and Evasion are no longer the meta, it's now AP and Damage Resistance since they introduced Renown, the more AP and DP you get, the more AP and Damage Resistance you get as a bonus. Before you ask, yes it's upward scaling making the gear gap humongous and yes it's retarded.

CC and SA have been completely reworked...if I understand it correctly because I've never been good at it all, any CC skill no longer has SA or protection attached to them. CC's are applied with the first hit of the skill.

I think you should try Mystic. It's fun, fast, lots of combos and can grind efficiently as well as 1v1. Ninja and Kuno are currently the FOTM classes thanks to Pearl Abyss ****ing up balance and making them PvP gods now. Tamer is pretty much in the same state it's always been in, even after receiving minor buffs. Heilang isn't a complete potato anymore. Musa and Maewha get huge buffs this upcoming patch, will probably brake the balance in the process...again. Sorceress seems to be fine in 1v1, not sure how to play one myself honestly, but it sure seems all the ones I ever run into just spin around to kill people and they seem to do it easily.

Mystic isn't boring, at least I don't think so. I have a level 61 Mystic alongside my 61 Tamer.

8. Shutara

That's mad amount of time, respect. I was under self-impression when I saw my 2,500 hours in CoD4 multiplayer back in the days, but this? Just wow.
    Never had a chance to try GW, but indeed the combat is in fact something that i'm not fully satisfied with, while playing GW2. After some pewpew in BDO every other game feels worse in that aspect. But then, overall world interactions, friendly community and this feel of constant action alongside with great story (so far) make me consider getting both expansions as they are 50% off right now :)
    Plus, I took mesmer as my 1st character and I like it's difficulty to maintain good combo with all those teleports, portals and swapping through images of yourself to fool the enemy.

9. UnRaVeLinG

Thank you so much, this helps a lot! I rolled Ninja yesterday with cheap gear and am having a blast. I just completed my awakening quest and will see how it goes from here, if it starts getting boring I will try Mystic next!

10. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Keep in mind with your Ninja that there is bound to be some kind of nerf incoming because it's stupid strong right now in PvP.

11. UnRaVeLinG

Thanks for the warning! I'm holding off on getting the full boss weapon set until I'm sure it will be a long term choice.

flukeSG2 likes this.
  12. GM Unknown

Game Master

Hi there @UnRaVeLinG! BDO is ever-changing, and the development team is always working hard to balance classes, so it can take some time to really find that right balance, and this is also why player feedback and thoughts regarding the classes are very important to us. I would also suggest to maybe watch some streamers, or looking up some recently made guides online, so you can get a bit of a better idea on which items to look into without investing into specific gear. That said, I do hope you will find a playstyle that suits you and works out best!

Also, big thanks to everyone that helped out in this!

Take care! :D

13. Fearless V

Fearless V TranscendentSoul Witch NA

Maybe he is like me. And still logs on to BDO for a hour than go back to grinding in ESO. In his case GW2.

If enchanting system in this game wasn't so cancer. I'd be able to play this game. Since it is, I only give a bit of my time to this game.

Shutara likes this.
  14. aidlac

aidlac Nomad Wizard 59 EU

@UnRaVeLinG personal suggestion: stay away for a few more weeks. Why? Hacker scandals, banwaves currently on-going (so still a few hackers in-game I'd presume + it'll take time for the economy to recover even just a little bit), well-known exploiter is currently featured partner, changes to CC and gear stats (reown I think it was called?) has made a lot of ppl confused so meh. Personally I'd wait for the dust to settle.

15. UnRaVeLinG

Thanks for the advice, I actually considered that... wait for 30 days, get more Olvia server and returning rewards... and be disappointed at another months of insignificant updates and no progress probably?

16. aidlac

aidlac Nomad Wizard 59 EU

Meh, might as well get back for 30 days after the patch. They said they'd reset the attendance reward and iirc they have a penguin on it atm, so if it's just reset, that means free pet for logging in what? 1-2 hours a day? But ye, other than that I stand by what I said