1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reward "Whales"

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Nihilistic Nancy, May 29, 2020.

1. Chaos Ronin

Chaos Ronin RyunokoDynasty Mystic 61 NA

I agree with you, i just don't agree with a lot of people saying BDO is one of the most p2w games out there because that is false.
    Most of the people saying that are the type of person who really does expect everything for very little or nothing at all. I really can't stand self entitled people be it online in video games or out there in the real world.

If you want something and you have the money, you buy it. If you don't have the money and can't afford to, you work hard for it. The end results will be the same. I have spent a decent amount of money in BDO and my gear is pretty nice. I have a 489DP build and a 289/350AP build, i didn't grind a single min for 2 years and i do not life skill or sail at all. Someone playing the same amount of time (4 years) and has grind every day probably has more gear than me and spent nowhere near as much as i have (23k+).

P2W in this game is for the actual rich people and that accounts for a very very small percentage of the player base because this game is not p2w friendly.

2. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

In an earlier post directed at me you said this game was not pay to win at all. Now you say it is but only rich people can afford it.
    Make up your mind. Is it or is it not pay to win?

woots and Fearless V like this.
  3. Chaos Ronin

If you have a bar of gold that is 99% gold and 1% silver, although it is not pure gold you wouldn't call it a bar of silver, right?

4. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Strange analogy, means nothing though. A game is pay to win if it is pay to win. We all know bdo is pay to win, just admit it and move on.

Nextgengame and Fearless V like this.
  5. woots

Dont ask like a strawman only considering someone not understanding that buisiness ofc have to make money, and i could eventual, in a distant futur consider your question seriously.

But as a hint : dont you have tons of games that live well and dont practice BDO like scammy buisiness practice ?

#165 woots, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Fearless V and MoonDance17 like this.
  6. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

Pulling in many time more money and gamer population too at that.

Meanwhile most of the MMO gamers cringe at the thought of playing BDO, or anything that launches out of Korea for that matter. Because it's infamously P2W. Like nearly 99% of the other games to have come out of Korea, that was re-released to the West. We only have to look at history and the present to see that Korean Game Devs. business model, is highly inferior in the West. Western MMOs that only service two regions NA and EU completely crush Korean MMOs that spam their service to nearly all regions of the Earth and still don't pull or retain as many players, or money. So even taken a advantage of that handicap. The Korean giant that is BDO still can't overcome.

No matter how you look at it. Objectively speaking Korean Devs. P2W business model is inferior in the West. To the package meaningful content into base game, expansions, DLCs, and charging a reasonable subscription that may be optional. The point can be easily proven, by pointing out the different regions and active player count and income. Yet their are no Korean MMOs that can breach the top 3 even with that advantage of spamming so many regions. Kinda reminds me of what Bless Online try to do.

The only reason BDO is remotely relevant. Is because of visuals, afk mechanics, and the lack of Western Devs. making and releasing MMOs with the Western like business models. In the end BDO is a clear case of "You get what you pay for"

Am I mad about this? Hell no, giving my prior experience with KMMOs. Myself and everyone that I played or still plays MMOs with knew BDO was going to go P2W like most if not all of the KMMO that came before. To think otherwise is illogical.

People here on the BDO forums can deny all they want BDO is P2W. But it means very little when tens of millions of other gamers call it for what it is, P2W. Is their anything wrong with P2W? In my opinion, no. It's just another style of video game. It's just like inputting cheat codes in past.

What I dislike is people attempting to sucker the new and unsuspecting gamers. Into something they know they will not like. Only to turn around and give them grief, and tell them to shut up and quit. Maybe if you scammers, that are not even paid to advertise the game. Actually come clean about the game's P2W nature in the open. You would get a lot less hate. Because then you wouldn't get players who have been suckered in on false pretenses. You would only get players who like this type of FREEMIUM business model.

BDO_Nictofilia likes this.
  7. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

Well, lets see with this one you spent $20,000 and didnt get any of that....as a matter of fact all it gives you is a partial experience. So obviously money isnt the issue now is it? Its the WAY they monitize thats the issue..P2W/P2C requires the devs to make the game inferior inorder to have a product to sell. So with my solution a player can have a full game experience free of cost to the end user if all they do is put in a pearl to silver exchange. And PA wont miss out on a dime..if anything they will make more money cause more players can afford to spend less then $40 on a costume just to trade pearls for silver.

#167 Kynreaa, Jun 13, 2020
  8. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Making a trade pearls for silver system DOES NOT solve the problem of game developers creating roadblocks to sell a short cut in their ingame store at all. It will just continue down this path of over-monetisation for years to come as long as people are prepared to open their wallets. You do not want to open your wallet so you beg for more ways to get what you want with other people's money but all you are doing is helping to perpetuate this greed.

9. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

No, your correct it wont. What I meant is it would solve the problem for players being gated from content if they dont like to use real money to gamble. Nothing I boycott is going to prevent a whale from making my boycott useless. So why go without if i can find a way to make it work for everyone. With an exchange, whales get to whale, Players get to enjoy the game free of cost to the end user after initial purchase price. And PA continues to rake in the profits. Only legislation is going to rip out the gambling aspect.

As far as PA is concerned its far too late for that with them. But think about it..any game with a cash shop, really should have an exchange in game. Not having it doesent demotivate the developer from going down a predatory path.

Only customers can change how the industry monetizes, and unfortunately they decided they like their games a la carte. Only legislation is going to prevent predatory tactics..and all we can do now is wait, cause the balls rolling on that.

Edit: And honestly with the rise of E-sports, streaming profiting,and the ad revenue it generates for players...Im not sure its a bad thing the industry going the route of live service, instead of just flat out returning to one time purchase items...That is if they can get their monetization models in order...cause this right here is a catastrafuckaphy. Think about it..its possible now to become rich playing video games. There are degrees for E-sports, like there are broadcasting (as dumb as that is). So in the future, it could become possible to even make a career out of P2W games where they have currency exchanges, for real money Like Roblox.

"
    How to Cash Out
    If you (a user of Roblox who is 13 years of age or older) have the requisite minimum amount of Robux in your account (as set out in the DevEx Terms), and are a member of Roblox Premium, you will be presented with an option to exchange your Robux for U.S. dollars at the then current exchange rate set by Roblox ("Cash Out")."

https://www.roblox.com/developer-exchange/help

And Streamers already have financed lavish lifestyles profiting on Youtube just hosting lets plays on MMO's. So the money circulating properly could be a good thing.

#169 Kynreaa, Jun 13, 2020
    Chaos Ronin likes this.
  10. Nextgengame

It would give the option for every player to earn everything by just playing, it would not solve the issue, but would make it more fair. (Also would make more profit for them.)

Kynreaa likes this.
  11. Korvgubben

Not that far gearscore-wise. Some ~255ap / ~310DP and full TRI manos accs with a mix of TET manos and green tools. PEN awakening and offhand weapons (dande bought and kutum self-made). I did all TRI manos accs myself except for the belt, without even buying any materials from the market.

I do however sit on a massive amount of items atm including enhancement materials that I have decided to sell off because I dont want to do any enhancing anymore. TET manos accs would be to slow with self-gathered materials only and in that case I might aswell buy the whole thing off the market instead. Same with regular gear. I got ~7 100+ failstacks in valks and/or on alts so whenever the handout crons build up in numbers I can throw a safe click on some manos tool or gear item and maybe luck out and get another pen. No loss or grievance if it fails though.

Other than that I play a wide-range of what the game has to offer. I grind occasionally, hunt for titles/knowledges, do most of the life skills except for bartering and sailing. Might get to that sometime. I avoid PvP like the plague mainly because I think its very bad in BDO.

MoonDance17 and Fearless V like this.
  12. Chaos Ronin

This has been happening for years (the exchange to IRL cash). 10 years ago i was making 1-3k a month for creating items on a game called Second Life and i personally know 2 people who became a legit millionaire from it too. I don't think that could work in an actual MMO and I'm 50/50 on the pearls to silver thing too.

E-sports though? I think BDO could become a legit E-sport if they wanted it to be :)

Edit: Obviously i mean the combat side of BDO being able to be an E-Sport xD

13. Nextgengame

Sure, a game where higher fps means higher dps can become an e-sport game :D

Allan1985 and Arreyanne like this.
  14. Boink

I played against you in RBF and I tell you that 23000+ (hope it's not in EURO or USD) is a huge advantage. I can't even kill that mystic you play in RBF and I spearheaded my progression as a F2P because of enhancing cheap and part of it was being lucky. I also believe that players that monetize this game probably paid a lot more. That 90 million quarterly earnings reports also tells me that you are not the only one.

What's disturbing is that if you truly believe that a 4-year player that grind every day can get to your gear levels (since you don't play one character) and eventually pay up the same amount you did. That power creep is crazy they are probably 650+ GS at that rate. How they create this huge gap of gear progression with paying customers (Artisans X 5 and Crons) and how and why this thread was made regarding whales kinda concerns me. That is just two that generate probably a huge monetization with Kakao. Imagine every other leverage you can get with $.

15. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

It would also ensure that all games in the future are even worse than they currently are. You guys are the root cause of the problem.

16. Nextgengame

???

17. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

As long as people beg for more ways for whales to get pay to win advantages there is no need for games developers to stop the money grabbing mechanics in games they make. Instead of asking for pearls to be sold in the central market people should be asking for the removal of cron melting and pearl items sold in cm. They should be demanding better games with only cosmetic purchases.

#177 MoonDance17, Jun 13, 2020
    woots, Sadalsuud and Ben Phoenix like this.
  18. Nextgengame

Don't worry, nothing will going to stop them, anymore, as they already tasted the smell of money.

Technically they can make good money with cosmetic only too, look at lol... however they need to make a good and fun game for that.
    But unfortunately bdo isn't such game, not even close to being a good or fun game. Bdo isn't popular enough to make this much money out from just cosmetic.

Fearless V likes this.
  19. Arreyanne

Arreyanne Lahn 59 NA

I think after the first year of NA Kakao or PA someone decided they(PA/Kakao) couldn't make enough money selling cosmetic things. After DK the different costumes for every class just dried up and here came all the enchant helping cash shop items.

And they came by the Semi trailer full

Hondo_Lane and Fearless V like this.
  20. Dalenos

This game was tailor-made for whales so of course, you have to keep the whales happy so they keep throwing money at PA

Fearless V likes this.