1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RNG Frustration

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by GreyRebel, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Epitafios

Yes what u say is true but ofc is not the only reason. The biggest percentage of the mmo players come from games with no pvp or games that pvp is a choice/instant . Most ppl that they quited the game was because someone killed them will grinding.The second biggest reason is that the game doesnt hold your hand and many ppl quit before they understand what they do in the game. And ofc the third reasson is RNG but if you use your brain you can skip it most of it :D

2. LordCrusty

I'd probably say Mon-Thurs i afk life skill and Friday-Sun active life skill something around that depending on the week.

I didn't get the two pens from life skilling just so were clear lol, my Pen Dim Tree i got from selling my gears and the remaining 10 mil, 5mil went into life skill things, +4 alchemy, cooking clothes, sharp life stone tet manos hoe, the other 5mil i kept and saved another 7 for a pen Giath helm.

It's going to take probably a full year maybe a year and a half to get full pen armors but with the way the game is right now i don't really play it actively enough to need better gear.

3. Boink

For someone who got lucky last year with my progression I feel like I didn't earn it. I one shotted all Tungrad Pieces except rings (after blowing up my lesser accessories).

Until of course Lady Luck reels in her ugly head. Currently I'm sitting with 4 130+ FS, lots of blowns up TRI accessory including 4 TRI Tungrad Rings and lots of red boss gear in my inventory.

There is no justice in gambling. Especially when we are dealing with the numbers % set in BDO. You just try to find a suitable tinfoil have fun in the moment. As long as it is not your main gear why not. I accepted how it is. Sometimes Lady Luck lies a lot, or maybe we are just overconfident about the given odds. A gambler's fallacy.

Factorial likes this.
  4. Fearless V

Fearless V FearlessBeing Ranger 61 NA

I see, yeah I'm currently doing a lot of lifeskilling myself. As I find lifeskilling to be much better silver/hour. Than grinding mobs outside of the tree groups I do with the guild.

5. LordCrusty

I've been taking my my main and alts to pilgrams, it drops a lot of Caphras and Dust, i've also been collecting the ores to make jewlery crates which sell for 900k a piece for me. Plan on making a bunch of Adv cooking utencils and selling them after i collect the logs.

Fearless V likes this.
  6. onaco

onaco Musa 62 EU

I agree that some ammount of RNG is okay, however not to the point where people have to wonder if life itself hates them. I'd like that we had a system where everytime an enchantment fails the chnaces are bigger. And yes I know we have that already with failstacks and such, however I have failed dim armor from III to IV around 30+ times (sorry not sure can't remember since I stopped counting at some point), and I started with around 25% of sucess and it still kept failing over and over and over. By the time I made it I could have just bought around 4 tet armors from the marketplace :/
    And then people got it on 3rd or 4th try and kept writing how ''this game is so ez'' in chat and it made me want to rip my hair out. Also people in my ex guild legitimately thougth I was lying about how much time I failed with that %.
    I am aware this doesn't bring any solutions to rng problems but I just wanted to say that since then I never enchance anything in game. That armor was the first thing I have tried enchancing, regretted it so much. Now I just save up billions and buy it off the marketplace. Some people may see that as very slow paced especially with the fact that I don't play much, however I won't take another hit in the face with a brick that made a 6 billion hole in my saved up silver.
    I am much happier playing with the fact that when I save up some silver I can get a IV accessory with the 100%

Factorial, Phoenixxx75 and Fearless V like this.
  7. Joungf

RNG in life is realistic. But putting RNG only in the places where player are involved but not the world and its NPCs itself ....
    RNG in weather, NPC character, behaviour, animation, .... there the RNG is missing completely. They just run in loops.
    A player invests time and effort to master skills, improve skills, create, level up, .. so why the reward is RNG (*a kick in his butt* and a message "From BDO team with love")?

Factorial likes this.
  8. Fearless V

Because BDO is a P2W RNG Based not Skill based no matter how some on these forums will claim.

In GW2 I can completely school someone in legendary gear with just Rare not even Exotic gear.

In ESO have have youtube video of my at the time VR 6 Character in hand me down training gear to level faster schools META VR 16 players.

In BDO I wreck players in One Skill and Can't be killed because of the importance of RNG Gear in this RNG Combat system. Then I lose most of my fights because I get two skilled by other while can't even deal 1/4 of their health bar while they are on their backs and getting cit modifiers. But if you listen to players on these forums. They'll brag about their skill in the game where skill is completely depreciated by RNG Gear and RNG Combat mechanics.

Playing BDO is like playing the Special Olympics of MMOs. It's still fun because it's something different. But damn the amount of emphasis on RNG to directly support it's cash shop is beyond extreme.

Factorial likes this.
  9. HairaQ

real flustration begins when you cant say truth because of political correctnes.

Ashenvall and Fearless V like this.
  10. Fearless V

No the real frustration begins, when you can't even leave your house in 125 degree heat, without being a overdressed Casper the Ghost. Without being beat to death because of religious correctness.

11. zhagsten

Not saying the layers of RNG aren't a poor design, but what I quote is what makes you vulnerable.

[​IMG]

Protect yourself.
    Stop looking at what others have, what others get from a particular lucky event. You can ask people about average incomes over several hours, but don't ask about anecdotical experience.

Protect others: stop telling your guild about your lucky result. Others won't enjoy it like you. It's a good intention to share your joy, but this is unlikely to make others joyful too.
    And stop whining to others about your bad luck too. It's straining.

There are way to say it that work better. "Ah damn it failed, too bad" rather than "omg failed again, I'm always unlucky in every video game..." But in the end you'd better spare your online friends your anecdotical results.

Blitzball, Phoenixxx75 and Factorial like this.
  12. Fearless V

All nice and all in a lovey dovey world and all. However in BDO what others get directly effects others gameplay here. Just saying is all.

13. Juuken

I think, some RNG here and there in games is fine. Cleverly used it can give a rewarding feeling. With that being said, Pearl Abyss doesn't use RNG in a clever way. Period. They are taking it to stupidly insane levels. Like when you get this Black Spirit "board game". You roll a dice (which is RNG), then might get to a field that nets you some item - slot machine style (which is also RNG) - then you might get a chest which you can open, only to be presented with another slot machine (which is yet again RNG), that might spew out something useful. Now THAT is some SERIOUS bullcrap right there ... and that's just one example in this game.

It's also something I will remember, whenever I see another game or product made by Pearl Abyss ...

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  14. zhagsten

That's irrelevant. They get what they get, that's all. The problem is when people start asking how they got it. If you keep speculating or asking about how people get their gear, you're only hurting yourself. It doesn't change anything to the situation. The other player still has said gear.

15. Fearless V

[​IMG]

For some gamers I suspect a huge portion of the BDO forum community. This is the only chance for them to be successful in a Multiplayer environment. So they will fight tooth and nail to keep the system as is. Lucky for them Pearl Abyss and Kakao uses their need to sell them PvP wins at very high prices. Which they are willing to pay for.

So the only thing for beings like ourselves to do. Is to either adapt or die [quit]. Doing anything other than those two is foolhardy at best.

16. Fearless V

Knowledge, can totally change the situation.

A.) It can allow you to see, how much your time and effort is valued in this game. Thus allowing for you to make a informed decision.

B.) It can allow you to see, how much further back you falling behind. Thus allowing to you to either commit more or less of your time and money into the game.

C.) It can allow you to see, how a game should be and not be developed.

D.) It can allow you understand that the game is not at all skill-based but is just a simple game of RNG luck. Therefore allowing you to have a completely different mindset while playing BDO. Than you would have, say try harding in GW2 or ESO equalized PvP.

I am a firm believer of two widely known statements.

Knowledge is Power!

Hope is Nothing More than A Postponed Disappointment!

17. Juuken

Well, I can voice my opinion about that. I don't consider this foolhardy. It's how changes come to be in the first place. Enough people voice their concern, it might change something.

Apart from that, I just avoid RNG in this game as much as possible, which leads to me accepting, that I will never max out my gear, not even for a single character. And it also leads to decisions like, me not participating in PvP, but instead letting people karma bomb themselves. That's one of the consequences created by Pearl Abyss's inability to implement a sane reward system.

Blitzball and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  18. Fearless V

Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of beings already voiced their concern about the RNG Gear Progression issue of this game. Across many social media avenues and such. If that's not enough to steer PA and Kakao in a different direction. Do you not think it's foolish to think that the skeleton crew of a playerbase that still plays BDO will?

I mean at some point you just have to accept things for what they are. And let the dead horse go.

19. zhagsten

A, C and D is about knowing how the system work, not the result for individuals. Just looking at the enhancement system alone gives you that information. It's easy to project its effects. Again, I'm not saying it's a good system. And I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for a better one. I'm saying that beyond the frustration of such system from your own experience, you can avoid inflicting yourself the pain of the comparison to others.

B is about knowing averages. What really hurt is being hammered with the message alert that someone may have got a better result than you. That may create a feeling of unfairness. And who likes to be treated unfairly?

Of course BDO is a different mindset for competition than games like GW2 or ESO. I mean I won my first PvP as a Shai against an Archer. What does it mean? I know it's not because I'm particularly good or that Shai is OP. But if you don't let that slip on your skin, then better stop playing.

20. Juuken

Now it's a hundred thousand and one. That might do the trick ... You never know. This aside, they are sloooooow with important changes. It could be they already have plans but need to be in a good spot to implement the changes. Dunno. Should I rather say nothing? I think, if I don't at least try, it's just a wasted opportunity. It's like with elections, right? If you don't go and vote, you actually have no right to complain about any of the results.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.