1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Sailing Experience "Young" Sea Monsters

Discussion in 'Bugs - Archive' started by Depthside, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Depthside

1 young sea monster kill for Sailing experience is basically equivalent to 1 beer for Cooking experience.
    Please tell me this isn't right. It's useless.

2. Epsilonial

Have you ever done any amount of sailing or ocean content?

The only theme that the entire swath of content has is that it's all completely useless. Its probably intended.

3. Depthside

are you implying that because I'm aware of the slow progression of sailing experience, that I should keep my mouth shut when they introduce a new way to obtain it, but it turns out to be useless? are you aware that the release of the new sailing dailies was not useless?

iller and Shdw like this.
  4. Epsilonial

Nah, but what does sailing do for you, exactly?

Port Ratt trading. Sea monster hunting. You make more money with 300 gs farming Helms.

Anything you really do with a boat, you can do better by land. I don't think you should keep your mouth shut, but you asked if it was intended. Every single piece of sea content released to date has ended up being completely useless. By intention. Why would it surprise you that the young sea monsters are also useless?

That being said, they're a more time efficient way to "Grind" sailing XP then auto pathing across Margoria. The main problem with it is that it's never worth your time to level sailing ever, so the justification/desire/necessity to grind baby sea monsters is low, while the requirement is high. Which results in the "Useless" feeling, even though they are actually far from useless.

5. Depthside

Sailing and sea monster hunting are something that can be done in the game. some people find this entertaining believe it or not. It also produces guild funds which in turn can be paid to guild members. Some loots are used to make the boats better at doing this. In any case, if you are actively out fighting sea monsters, you will get way more experience doing the dailies, and that makes the experience from the "young" mobs useless.

6. Epsilonial

Sailing and sea monster hunts are fun. However this game does not reward or provide incentive for fun. I can have fun GvG and taking over Sausans. More fun then sea hunting. I also make more money. Unless the Gfunds granted are increased, or the kill rate is made reasonable, it's just not feasible. Making boat parts are irrelevant because there is no reason for anyone to *do* boat content aside from, as you pointed out, the memes.

I love ocean content. I love PvP on the ocean. The Trina Matchlock debacle was the funnest times in the ocean I've ever had. Not only because I could be in the ocean without purposefully handicapping myself and everyone with me, but also because other people were there too, and we could PvP there.

As for young monsters. What if you want to level sailing after doing the dailies? What if you don't want to take the 53 years to get to Guru sailing?

The answer is you farm young sea monsters. Its far superior to sailing in terms of XP. It has a place. The problem is sailing has no place in the game, and doubly so after Skilled 1 sailing. You're wrongfully attributing sailing being useless, with young sea monsters being useless. If sailing becomes useful, then grinding sea monsters becomes useful.

7. Depthside

sounds like you are frustrated with the recent drama and are just looking to take it out somewhere. why not just sit back and see where this goes without adding arguments that take away from my opinion that the young sea monsters should give more xp?

8. Epsilonial

Well. Yes. I'm pretty annoyed with the current situation, but that doesn't change the reality of what I'm saying.

Now, I can agree it should give *more* experience. 100%. 110% even. I just don't think they're useless. It used to be like 50 years to get guru sailing. The young sea monster probably makes it only take 5-10 years. That's a pretty amazing jump.

Though I agree it probably shouldn't take 5-10 years to level a lifeskill regardless.

9. Depthside

Thanks. I'm sorry I said it was useless. I should have said it's not motivating to me at all. I hope they change it to be more motivating.

10. Epsilonial

I do as well. It's half my frustration with the current situation. There is no motivation to sink any amount of time into anything related to the ocean at the moment. It takes too long to level. It gives almost nothing in return. The only "Useful" part of leveling sailing is Skilled 1 for Breezy Sails.

Young sea monsters were a step in the right direction for making things quicker to level. I agree it still isn't enough, but at the same time, I still think they need to revamp ocean content to make it *worth doing*. There is, supposedly, more ocean content coming. I'm hoping (A little) that it makes sailing relevant again. Some of the funnest times I've had, in the entirety of having 0 sailing, to currently pro7 sailing, was the matchlocks. I actually sunk boats, killed people, and made money. My guild came out, and they had fun, made money and wanted to sail. Even though none of them had above apprentice 1 sailing.

I still feel salty about the matchlock incident and the nerfs because, quite frankly, it was the best thing to happen to the ocean in forever. Yet it got completely gutted with no comment about how dead the sea is without it. My guild is all back to solo farming/afk processing.

11. Depthside

i feel ya but it seems the trina dmg was unintended and i have been doing sailing stuff with peops who now have personal upgraded ships like myself and it was fun for us before trina guns and still is. I do hope that sailing becomes more interesting soon as for some, understandably, it could become too monotonous as it stands.

Shdw likes this.
  12. Pernicious

EXP is ridiculously low (I have to kill ~ 25 monsters to get 1% of experience).
    Young Sea Monster's Neidan - drop rate is almost zero. I had to slaughter almost 30 monsters to get 100 pieces of Neidan's.
    Young monsters have a very little hitbox - they would use matchlock to kill them.
    Disappearing monsters while beating them, ridiculously small dmg cannons, lack of sailing exp for killing large monsters, lack of personal drops, sailing exp just for swimming is close to zero above Profesional.
    The ocean in the game is huge but there is nothing to encourage people to discover it.

Depthside likes this.
  13. Depthside

all relatively true, rng considered. I prefer this thread focus on the one thing for now. I could totally rant with you all day in agreement ;)

14. CM Jeste

Community Manager

Hey,

Thank you for your input and suggestion, it doesn't look like a bug (even though I understand your frustration about the slow progression)however, I will keep an eye on it.

Kind regards,
    GM Jeste

Depthside likes this.