1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Breech?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Stabby, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Stabby

According to MassivelyOP there was a huge security breech in BDO. Anyone affected has to produce picture of government ID and recent newspaper? Seriously? I think that's illegal in the US, not sure about other countries. Edit: I just confirmed it's illegal to ask for, photo copy (considered forgery) and/or submit a photo copy of any government (state or federal) issued ID in the United States.

https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/20/...ccounts-in-the-wake-of-a-massive-data-breach/

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdeser.../kakao_user_data_security_breach_change_your/

Edit: Just found this.

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/account-security-information.448382/

#1 Stabby, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    I Am Mother, Mirajane and Yulanda like this.
  2. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

It’s going to depend on the country, but usually properly certified copies of ID are not considered forgeries, or illegal to ask for.

By properly certified, I am referring to a photocopy that has been witnessed along with the original document and signed off on by a JP, Police Officer or other authorised person.

I still don’t see the point if it in this case because how are they going to any ID provided actually belongs to the account owner? It’s not like I have my passport registered in my BDO credentials.

I Am Mother likes this.
  3. 2Cents

What could go wrong lol. They are only an online company asking for personal identification information.

Stabby and I Am Mother like this.
  4. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

I read the link to the bdo forum announcement and it says to cover all of the numbers and the photo on the id . How does this prove anything at all about who you are and if you actually own the account? It is though relatively safe to send the 'proof' of id in the manner they are asking for if all the numbers and photo are hidden.

I Am Mother likes this.
  5. 2Cents

They also assume your account information is actually legit information.

6. They have been asking for this since they introduced two factor authentication.

Once you enable it, to disable it you have to show government issued ID in front of a current newspaper or computer clock (lol?).

I know because this has been asked of me, and it's the only way they will disable 2 factor authentication.

7. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

That is why I said that I do not see how the id photo proves anything. It is not hard to get id's made in different names if you want to. The photo will not allow them to see if it is a legitimate government id.

#7 Phoenixxx75, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  8. 2Cents

I know, I'm referring to people that don't use their real name for the creation anyway. It's just a game account. In which case you could never provide ID.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  9. Asterotis

Actually NExoN does this sometimes, as does Square Enix, so this isn't really new.

10. KampersOwnedYou

I would not provide any official ID to anyone especially not online whether you trust them or not. Not everyone uses their real name on a game - actually most probably don’t. If you give them your ID how do you know that they are not going to create fake ID’s with them or use them to make more money somehow ? After all we all know that Kakao do anything to get more money out of us from pathetic ingame sales way over priced ect.
    How do you know that this is not a troll making this up ? I have not seen anything to do with this as of yet. If they ask me for this then I shall report them to the police for fraud !

11. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 61 NA

In this instance because they are asking you to cover the photo and id number before copying it.

12. KampersOwnedYou

Ok that’s fair but it doesn’t evidence anything. My name could be john and on bdo I could have registered as Bob the builder so it won’t match then what ? Do they ban my account? Makes no sense why they would ask for any personal details especially when their terms tell us not to give personal details. They are just a business so they don’t need our real personal details of any type. If they tell me to provide it im gona send them a picture of bob the builder lol

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  13. Angar

Angar Angar Archer 61 EU

Neither the photo or the id number are needed to forge documents.
    What is needed is your full name,address, date of birth and parents names plus marital status.
    They still can open credit cards on your name with that info.

14. Deyric

So they are asking people to commit a crime, and thus are committing one themselves.

15. iKaneki_Ken

Sweet lord merciful Jesus, you're still kicking around? Fewer and fewer founders around these days.

16. Asterotis

Yes, yes I am lol. (Well I'll disappear in like 5 days, got an expansion to complete in the most casual mmorpg ever.)