1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow Arena Class Tier Rating

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Eve Tater, Jan 18, 2019.

?

What are the top 3 strongest classes in shadow arena currently?

1. Wizard

42 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Witch

32 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Dark Knight

29 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Tamer

9 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Warrior

74 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Valk

56 vote(s)
    37.8%
  7. Berserker

29 vote(s)
    19.6%
  8. Mystic

40 vote(s)
    27.0%
  9. Sorceress

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  10. Musa

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  11. Kunoichi

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eve Tater

Up until this mode was released I haven't pvpd in bdo before. I won my 5th game on the first day but haven't won since. There's just so much stuff I don't understand and doesn't seem to be explained anywhere, on top of the fact that how the combat mechanics work seem to be slightly altered from standard bdo combat. Disclaimer: Again I've never pvp'd before and there's not much info online or in game about specifics so if any of my assumptions are incorrect please let me know!
    This thread is to A: answer some questions I have on, specifically, combat in the shadow arena; B: gather any tips anyone has for the arena, anything at all really; C: see if we can determine a tier list similar to smash brothers for the classes currently in the mode (half of them seemingly aren't in it).

So to start off, how exactly does blocking work here? I know warrior and valk have access to Q which increases their DP by 20 for 30s but I'm not sure exactly how the mechanics of that work, sometimes I'm unable to use it and sometimes it seems to cancel itself. I looked up counters to it because heading on invincible warriors that eventually run caused me to lose a fair share of matches but the only answers (in normal bdo combat) are keep attacking until it breaks or luck out and have a grab (of which I've tried and they're able to block as soon as they get back up).
    There doesn't seem to be any system in place stopping people from teaming in solo mode at all, is there one I don't know about? I've been killed a couple times by groups of up to 4 people that then mysteriously leave each other alone after killing me and taking the loot.
    Are the abilities altered in any way from standard bdo combat? Any values tweaked or effects added?
    Following above, which "level" are the abilties we recieve in shadow arena at, in correspondance to the normal skill tree? Minimum? Maximum? Are there some where they have the effects that branch off of the skill tree (or do you get those by having another skill in arena?)?
    There's no rage meter in SA, do the rage abilities count at max rage or no rage? If they dont recieve the rage bonus then are they, dps wise (considering most of them only seem to deal damage, no stuns or anything), worth using compared to other abilties? As in are they still top dps abiltiies to use when you have the opponent knocked down or should you just never bother with them?
    Chasing seems to be a huge issue in this mode, if you don't end up killing your target after investing a decent amount of health or time into it you're pretty much screwed whether you chase them to the ends of the world or not. Killing is the only decent way of regaining health and if you're target keeps running there seems to be little you can do. The slow grenade rarely seems to work even if they're right in front of you, the speed potions don't seem to give you a buff if you're currently slowed (bug?), and berserkers right click slow doesn't seem to actually slow at all. Have ended up chasing the entire match when trying these things, the only reliable catchup mechanic seems to be a long range, quick stun if you can get in range. Any tips on this portion?
    Valk seems to have absurd left click without moving damage, out dpsing everyone else at the start of the game. Is this just a thing in the game? Why? She's supposed to be tanky... What are the work arounds for this? (Have lost 7 left click duels at the start of matches where no one has anything to valks on many classes)

Please post any other tips below!

As for the tier list, I've tried to put up a poll that might help get the average consensus a bit (my personal thought is that warrior and valk are the top tiers, dk and mage just below that, berserker below that, everyone else below that, and mystic at the bottom; but again not much experience could certainly be wrong). The way the poll works isn't really ideal for a tier list, however, so if you could include in your post your own tier list that'd be great (and reasons why for bonus points!). If there are any classes I left out let me know and I'll update the poll, haven't seen any others though (sucks that half the classes aren't in it).

2. RealXared

RealXared Witch 61 EU

just a tip, since witch+wizard has the exact same skills, you can put them together. cuz if some1 says wizard is the best tier in shadow arena, it applies to witch as well.

Warrior/Valkyrie/Sorceress respectively are the best tier imo
    sadly I don't know any of them ><

Eri 4 likes this.
  3. Blitzball

Witch/Wizard are the most broken class here , just like in the real game. Magic missile , fireball , and RMB deal so much damage. This is ridiculous

Eri 4 likes this.
  4. Jey

Jey Valkyrie 62 EU

non sense

5. kuroma2

they are not if someone with skills go on them... they cant cast anything.

6. Jannanomana

Jannanomana Witch 61 EU

7. Krysantha

Seems about right.

Souda likes this.
  8. Thelemna

Thelemna Softspoken Tamer 63 NA

w h y t h e h e l l a r e n o n l e g a c y c l a s s e s i n t h i s t h i n g ?

9. ClearArrow

ClearArrow Ranger 62

Where's ma ranger >:

Dremlock and Fearless V like this.
  10. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

Unfortunately no one with skills can play, cause people are struck with the broken default keybindings.

11. Netreiam

With how limited the kits are it doesn’t matter too much.

Honestly I find valk to be broken af in this. The amount of damage from grab->judgment of light is insane.

I don’t know, maybe I just haven’t gotten lucky with other classes, but valk just seems much easier to win with than any other class.

12. Blitzball

A Berserker with Fierce Strike cancel can be deadly af :D

13. Krysantha

Because its beta and they are testing things out?

14. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

I imagine that list is off, cause most players with any skill are unable to participate due to being restricted to the broken default keybinds.

15. kuroma2

use number keys 123456789 and u can even switch skills to the order u prefer

16. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 61 NA

That does little for people that have been playing this game for years pretend their muscle memory will save them.

Nope. Some of us have keybinds so complex, that one handed user's top RBF scores, without macros, and dominate the Arsha server.

17. Souda

Souda Warrior 61 EU

Today I pvped a valk in shadow arena, we grabbing each other and knocking each other down so much we didn't pay attention to the black fog and then we both died as the fog closed in on us. Made me laugh

18. Asterotis

A valk kept grabbing me and trying to throw me into the darkness ): She took my muskans and basi belt.

Witches are just as bad spamming ice

19. Muesticblade

Muesticblade Kunoichi 62 EU

Why are the 2 options for witch/wizard. Isnt it literally the same class?

20. Jannanomana

Jannanomana Witch 61 EU

awakening soon ;)