1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow Arena is back...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Beavus, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Beavus

Ummm do we discuss shadow arena here, or is there a new website for that standalone game now :(

For those who haven't seen this, (stole clip from reddit)
    https://clips.twitch.tv/ArtisticPrettyLionKAPOW
    they also went on to say that it would be its own game

Why would you do this to us?

Just bring the seasons back to BDO for the rewards and different style of game play or are you not allowed to play and have fun with others in BDO.

I was an avid player while it was out in BDO for a different way of obtaining rewards, i loved the game as you meet and play with a lot of different players. I just don't see a reason to play a standalone game of it without rewards for BDO.

Who else would still give this a go if it was a standalone?

*had to rant sorry*

#1 Beavus, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    MoZex, Vorkrunne, Solitaire and 5 others like this.
  2. DarkBever

It was only good before it was officially released. :D

Rygart and Veight like this.
  3. PandaChinois

PandaChinois Valkyrie 61 EU

The Shadow arena was closed because there was too much cheater and Kakao could not counter this, I do not think he will reopen it (unless he is in dire need of money)

Magiabarelli likes this.
  4. GreyRebel

i really loved shadow arena . it was mybe the most fun group content in the game , also the only time i tried pvp in bdo . shadow arena lured me and my friends back to the game and i really hope they reopen it soon.

5. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

The idea of its was closed because its wasn't profitable (those who play only SA had zero reasons to spend money), than its was closed because of cheaters.

6. Beavus

sorry i should've added the teaser video they announced about it. The guy then went on to say that it will be a standalone game

7. Draconis

There's some Very Very easy fixes to avoid hacker storm in shadow arena...I don't get why its not implemented, just make shadow arena available after lvl 60-61

Eollyn likes this.
  8. Rayin

That's their official statement, the unofficial but more likely is that they didn't find any effective way to monetize Shadow Arena and the rewards were too good to be true, so whoever was interested in playing it would barely enhance, buy enhancement materials and also Cron Stones/Artisan Memory.
    They could've nerfed the rewards tho, but can you imagine the outrage and the threads named "SA is dead, please revert the changes"?

When you create a modality that is more popular than the game itself and you can gain bread crumbs out of it while your main source of income is getting less and less profitable, you really want to step up your game.
    I don't doubt that Cheaters were part of their decision to shut it down, but they did it mostly because it was disconnected from the rest of the world - and since it wasn't even properly monetized - so investing money, time and resources to fight those very same Cheaters was more counterproductive than shutting it down completely.

I'm sure they'll arrange it at some point to be a stand-alone heavily monetized game for mobile or for a later use after they'll find a way to make the most out of the least.

9. savo

I am just hoping they haven't given the shadow arena team any important projects.Maybe they could work on dance emotes or something.

Eollyn and Factorial like this.
  10. levinano

I'm just pissed that the balance changes they made to the actual game for the sake of balancing Shadow Arena still hasn't been undone even after the removal of the game mode.

They originally said that it'll be closed in its current state, meaning that they plan to put it back into the game. If they make it its own standalone game then it enrages me even more to think that Shadow Arena ultimately just came into BDO to do a drive-by class nerf and leave.

It puzzles me to no end why they still haven't rolled back the class changes made to the entire game based on one mini-game that's not even in the game anymore and apparently won't ever be.

Xairen, Factorial and Thelemna like this.
  11. GAiNZ

close shadow arena coz don't want to spend resources patching/balancing it each week... proceeds to develop it into standalone game.

no.
    not even if it was free.
    not even if they paid me.

Rygart, Solitaire, Tommus and 3 others like this.
  12. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 59 NA

So we can all guess if they have decided to make a stand alone shadow arena game they have found a way to milk the players.

13. Beavus

Exactly this. But surely they could’ve implemented it back into bdo and managed to monetise it on there, this I what I thought they would do when it was ready to be re released. Standalone version of this just doesn’t seem appealing.

Solitaire likes this.
  14. Maginha

Prob theres multiple layers of reasons to do it like they do it now, sadly without attending their strategy meeting we can only speculate....

Perhaps of budget restraints for bdo dev team, so they made a new dev team/game with own budget.
    Perhaps "normal" bdo was too emoty since all were in SA.
    Perhaps they rly were not able to hunt the hackers down....
    Perhaps they didnt know how to monetize it
    Perhaps it was just here to gather and ban all hackers at once
    Perhapperhapsperhaps

I Am Mother and Factorial like this.
  15. Yngol_Stormblade

All they had to do was disable trial characters in shadow arena, not delete the entire thing
    99% of the hackers were trial accounts
    If they're really releasing SA as a standalone game, I believe they used hackers as an excuse to remove it simply to make more money out of it due to how popular it was

Rygart, I Am Mother, Tommus and 3 others like this.
  16. Mirajane

They couldn't do anything about he hackers so they got rid of the game and put it in its own game with no reason to play it cause you dont get rewards for BDO . This will go the ways of savage rift , but be even more useless , instead of putting it back into the game cause you guys cant actually fix your game.

17. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

OwO i want a BDO Moba ....we have some awesome maps that would make cool Rift zones with three lanes, minion pushes and towers....with our combat style and so many classes, we could be the next SMITE!

18. zhagsten

Again, it wasn't because of the hackers. Read the letter again. They clearly and officially state that it took them resources to do and didn't bring back money.

19. Allan1985

20. Blitzball

Rofl , so no rewards for the actual game.. zzz