1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silver is becoming worthless (Inflation)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by DarkKnightMasterRace, Aug 6, 2018.

1. TucoRamires

That's what killed Lineage 2 for me back then,the minute it went f2p,things went out of control for other reasons.

SunHoYee likes this.
  2. Schönfeld

Schönfeld Warrior 61 EU

You cry a lot , don't you ?

Smileybones likes this.
  3. LightsOut

What you're saying is completely wrong. Pre-orders are actually deflationary in their nature as large amounts of silver gets taken out of the game for good when a preorder is executed. 80% of the extra amount of silver in the preorder gets lost, thus helping the economy immensely.

Khay_man, Thelemna and Tsurugi like this.
  4. Drakias

Drakias Ninja 61 NA

Thats exactly what PO's are meant for though. Someone drops a PO on something for 50 billion silver and most of that money is just gone out of the economy. Without PO's inflation would be even worse.

5. Srich

The real illarious thing in this topic is that those ppl who complain about economy are the same who have always been broke as **** and just now with poor fish events are starting to understand how much is worthless their 4b x month compared to those hardcore players who manage to make over 10 b in a month and the tops makes even 20 b when going full hardcore...this has been like this since last year so welcome to bdo guys

Fearless V and Mjollnir like this.
  6. RP Tzuyu

its not like ur gonna get 5b silver just because ur base dimtree is sold through po anyway..... the buyers couldnt careless about x6 x7 po because they got the silver for it...

7. Factorial

no, sorry. completely wrong. with a fixed priced economy as in bdo, inflation becomes non-existent. why? because when the price of items remain stagnant within a certain range, there is no way that prices can increase from their set maximal and minimal levels. period. the system is perfect without pre-orders. every player can have the maximum amount of attainable silver and items will not inflate in prices.

the problem with pre-orders is that they break this anti-inflation system built into the game with fixed prices. here is why. the rich can set any price they want for items as we see like +0 dim tree armor going for 7b+ silver and the crazy amounts of massive pre-order prices that people place on items. also, with the pre-order system, you see that nearly 90% of items placed on the marketplace go straight to pre-order. effectively, this destroys the fixed economy of the game.

pre-orders are the problem and it's so simple that most people don't see it because it's so damn obvious.

8. Tsurugi

Maybe you dont know the difference between ceiling price and price demanded. it's basic economics.

inflation is caused by the amount of currency in a system. we see the inflation because there isnt enough gold sink available in the game that people use compared to the amount of money the population makes.

eventually the price demanded of an item will be so high that we will just cron stone pretty much everything which will slow inflation because of the amount of currency that it will remove. we are nearing that point imo.

the problem with fixed prices is that people who dont understand basic economics, like you, wont understand that this market is working as intended, shafting the seller so that supply demanded will be no where near the actual supply. the argument made almost 3 years ago against me when i brought up this issue was "just let the game play out" or "just grind for everything yourself"

Thelemna likes this.
  9. Thranduil

I know i cannot compete with the big preorders so if i want an item i farm it myselft, also i keep biding whenever possible because you might get lucky.

Preorders destroy silver, they are a good way to make rich people less rich while they remain happy with the won item.

10. Factorial

no my friend. it's not that complex. i am not an economic genius, but if you have a closed system where item x has a price range of y-z, it is impossible for item x's price to go beyond a range to that of say, w. if the pre-order system was not in the game, there simply won't be inflation no matter how much money everyone has. no one would be able to get to the range of w. however, the pre-order system allows possibility of going to range w as we see.

an example is this: if the price of bread is set between $1-2, and everyone becomes a billionaire, the price of bread will never inflate to greater than $2 because this is the set max limit. this is the system without pre-order. absolutely no inflation independent of everyone having an obscene amount of excess money.

anyone who has been playing bdo sees that the reason for inflation has been triggered by events that constantly infuse money into the game: koi/octo event, the discovery of sea monster gains, hysteria hacks, seige payouts.

demand-pull inflation can be ruled out here because the supply of items has pretty much remained constant. instead people are able to bypass the anti-inflation system built into the market with fixed prices via pre-orders. the enhancement success rates haven't magically increased to a significant level where we have an overabundant flow of enhanced gear now exists. this rules out cost-push inflation aside from the pre-order system that bypasses the fixed market.

once again, pre-order is the trigger and sustain for our inflation problem.

RageAgainst likes this.
  11. Tsurugi

again, basic economics escapes you. when was the last time you won a value pack. that is what out economy will cause without preorders. inflation is still there bro.

12. Lateral

Lateral Valkyrie 61 EU

Basic economics or friedmaniac economics?

Ppl who believe in supply-and-demand balance for sure also believe that a feather falls at same speed as a stone in open field.

13. Arreyanne

Arreyanne Lahn 59 NA

I might not be a world class economist, I also say the preorder system is whats driving up the prices. I like that the market has set prices vs say WoW were green level 10 items list for 500 thousand and blues for over 800 to 2 million for level 10 -20 items.

The pre-order systems allow WoW type market values.

I also acknowledge that people with tons of silver feel they have the right to drive that price as high as they can afford to acquire the item they wish.

RageAgainst likes this.
  14. gosu

Silver has been worthless since day1. Just some people were stupid enough to list things like enchanting mats and enchanted gear. Only real currency in this game is time and real cash. Until we finally get a functioning economy and actually worthwhile goldsinks, things will stay that way.

#34 gosu, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  15. Drakias

Drakias Ninja 61 NA

I think the problem with your current logic is that you think the current system is in place to combat inflation. The actual reason the system is in place is to combat gold sellers "buying" 1 billion silver logs and having the funds moving to the person that bought the silver through a third party. This is also why PO's have a cap on them for how much the seller gets from it, Same reason why direct trading and direct selling is not implemented in the game.

16. Hey, inflation is cool, just don’t expect me to list pearl items on the market because the 20% or so increase in pearl item silver value we got a while back is pretty well worthless now— and let’s be real, pearls for silver always has been unwise to an extent, even for people who don’t mind min-maxing pearl sales.

But now $50 for 50m silver that spends like <5m is a little more than incongruous with the economy. It’s just dumb.

17. Dulkur

It seems like one of the problems is we have incomes based on values from the Korean game but we don't have access to all the things Korea has to spend the silver on. Training Manuals like Korean version, would take time away from afk silver earning activity, provide a multi-billion silver sink, give access to Capotian items through afk leveling.

A robust imperial auction house could be used to extract silver from higher wealth/income players, they should be competing for imperial auctions not disrupting the marketplace. We can already buy energy, allowing the option for NV rolls based on silver could help. Having a higher tier NV with 10 times the energy/silver cost for Enhanced items could help

But they need to either reduce silver through payouts or add things to help balance supply and consumption.

Event silver, is balanced with event items. All these things cover bad game mechanics.

18. 2Cents

Yeah @gosu is right, the only thing infinite silver can get you is INFINITE PEN. And who cares about GEAR SCORE? The only real currency is cash, which you use to gain SILVER!

#WRECKED.SON

19. Thranduil

Well back in the day most of the players didn't want pearl shop items in mp (neither did i), so i'm quite happy that everyday it's more and more a worthless feature.

20. Factorial

i do not disagree with you regarding gold seller issue, but the fixed prices are more than just that. there are several reasons why prices are fixed which include keeping inflation down so that new players can compete with season veterans of the game who have amassed billions over the years. prices for items three years ago remain almost identical to today: this is the lack of inflation.

however, when you inject the free market ecology via pre-order, you get the effect of the free market: inflation/recession. the pre-order system is acrimonious to a fixed priced market by aggressively and openly encouraging inflation through price gouging. it's the only way that even base boss gear is sold at millions and even billions.

another fallacy that people have is that pre-orders are meant to act as a silver sink. while that might be so somewhat, in reality, pearl abyss can care-less about the amount of silver within the game. pearl abyss constantly creates events within the game that inject an excessively obscene amount of money within the game to nigh ridiculous levels i.e. koi/octo/etc. to think that pearl abyss is concerned with keeping silver values low within the game via money sinks is an absurd ideology.

Alicia Dominica and RageAgainst like this.