1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slavery and O'dylitta

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by T800, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LesserHellspawn

MoonDance17, Tracey and Jinoro like this.
  2. Lady Arisha

Lady Arisha Mystic 61 EU

-This isn't a western game.
    -US isn't the only western country.
    -You catch escaped gobling slaves and deliver them back to their owner. So slaves are a thing in BDO since the very beggining. So your character encourages it. You're a serial killer who kills young orcs for like 75 silver per kill, so the slavery is the biggest issue now?
    -This is FANTASY. Grow a spine.

Just like Shai, watch how they gonna change it to something else for the EU/NA version becouse this one single guy decided to cry over FICTION. Quote me when Kekao removes the NPC's collar and adjusts the story just for the EU/NA, meanwhile literally the every other version gets the original version of it.

Remember when the west had the concept of Freedom of Expression within fiction? Good days those were.

#22 Lady Arisha, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Rekch, Adelas, Entharias and 10 others like this.
  3. Graugus

Man, if people haven’t realized that DKs are the Dark Elves of BDO and are shady as ****, I don’t know what to tell you. Also you do realize they have had slaves in BDO since Valencia expansion, right?

Around the time of Striker’s release I noticed all them slaves with ankle shackles on their legs in Valencia churning the fields.

Also, I don’t think they have a self governing work force in O”dyllita like in Grana ( No Papus, deer people etc.). Dark elf land is full of MMA fighters that don’t have trade skills or know how to do their own work.

#23 Graugus, Sep 4, 2020
    Jinoro likes this.
  4. Lurien

Lurien Battleborn Tamer 62 EU

Release only for EU, problem solved. No need to deal with soft and paranoic US.

Entharias and Graugus like this.
  5. Kiri_Dar

Wow...have you been playing this game. Quests to kill rioting people in Calp ring a bell. As people have mentioned the goblin slaves but what is it not ok now cause they look human. They are pixel work force that will get same beer/grilled bird meat as the rest of our work force. So likely unless you are already a slave owner then you could say we are giving them a better life.

6. Shadowhold

I think his viewpoint is fair to raise and shouldn't be minimized as quickly as people are; I think some of you are forgetting there is a human being on the other side of the keyboard and I would consider your words, given the sensitivity of the topic.

Granted slavery does exist in the game and I distinctly noticed that with the goblin quest, I think what the OP is expressing is their discomfort with the imagery of actually owning slaves with collars around their neck and you purchasing them as slaves. This is especially concerning given the prevalence of slavery still in the world and the feelings that people of color have in the US about that (rightfully)--not to mention that in a lot of ways, our prison system in the US is a modernized form of slavery. The OP originally had a typo and did not mean "statutes", but statues. White or black, slavery is wrong and there is legitimate pain that the United States is wrestling with (the US similarly ignores the tragedy of the residential school system or other abuses levied at indigenous groups). Slavery is an extremely serious issue in China and globally (this includes forced sexual exploitation, labor and so forth in China and extends to debt bondage [somewhat similar to what we know as loan sharks in the US, but state sanctioned]).

So while, yes, it is a fantasy game and rife with tropes and other concerns (i.e. the extreme sexualization of female characters)--I think it's totally appropriate for someone to express their concerns about it. I agree with another persons suggestion to not use the slaves if they have discomfort, but it doesn't excuse the fact that the imagery can be upsetting for some and everyone should be empathetic to that.

The arguments to the fact we are murdering bandits and goblins is exactly that: there is a moral or social justification for the behavior. Most players would similarly find it uncomfortable if we were killing human children as opposed to goblins or we were crushing kittens. Similarly, if goblins existed in the real world, they may have the same concerns and wouldn't have the mind blindness associated with those overt activities as we do (given our desensitization, which is normal for us to do to complete tasks). Limitations are different for each individual based on their experiences, but I don't think anyone would disagree slavery is a significant concern for many people (in the two significant protests that we've had here locally, people have been hit by cars slamming into the crowd and this is occurring nationally). I agree with Lady Arisha's position about freedom of expression and I similarly welcome the topic, but I think it's fair for the OP to question it as well. There was similar concerns for "New World" when it was in Alpha (I can't discuss this in detail because of the NDA, even if people are allowed to show the game now), but given the meaning of what "New World" is and indigenous peoples--it was a very live discussion and I believe Amazon had already hired someone to analyze and address those concerns.

I overall agree that, yes this is a game and I personally am not too bothered by it, but the OP is fair to raise the issue and request BDO navigate it with tact and I suppose I find it distasteful that the general responses here are to ignore the persons legitimate concerns. Maybe I'm getting too old, but the person took the time to express their concerns, so why not listen to them rather than respond in dehumanizing ways because the questions posed make us uncomfortable with our own views? I certainly found it an interesting observation and I think we should always welcome introspections about who we are as people, as a society or race.

So in short: I don't think the OP is arguing that this isn't a game or anything to that effect, but that due consideration should be given in the US to the sensitivity of the topic and widespread protests (and outright rioting at times) we are seeing across the country. He is merely asking I suspect if there has been any attention given to it and if there are alternatives to the content. I hope these views find you well.

#26 Shadowhold, Sep 4, 2020
    Carmaine, Beeso, Truthonly and 2 others like this.
  7. Tracey

judging by the lack of comments from the OP I wonder if this is the most elaborate troll topic to greet these forums in a very long time, if it is, impressive lol.

#27 Tracey, Sep 4, 2020
    FairlyEnjoyable and Jinoro like this.
  8. Fjokki

Wow, i didnt know of that. Whaling, slavery. What an utterly appalling company.

MoonDance17 and T800 like this.
  9. Tracey

should create a topic denouncing whale hunting and sea monster hunting

10. T800

I don't want to trigger people on this forum unnecessary, hence my lack of comments on their replies. I was generally curious if the story somehow developed over the last few month, since i remember back in February, there was a 2nd part of O'dyllita story in the work, and also Shadowhold and Truthonly comment summed up everything very nicely.

11. Graugus

This the thing. I’m wondering if we got O’dyllita at the same time that KR got it if we would even be talking about this?

As far as BDO’s lore or explanation goes in regards to slavery Within the game I think it is very, very, very, hard for this company to do that as it’s been 5 years now that people have been playing this game and still have a hard time discerning the lore because it’s broken up like a stepped on bag of potato chips.

12. FairlyEnjoyable

FairlyEnjoyable Lahn 62 NA

While we're at it, we should stop supplying our workers with only beer because that's not a balanced diet. :D

Adelas, MoonDance17, Jinoro and 2 others like this.
  13. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 64 EU

also, killing other human "mobs", getting killed by other players (human race, different skin colors and other races) just for money purposes or fun etc.

:D

Tokigare and Tracey like this.
  14. Tracey

you know if you really think about it, almost every life skill aspect of the game is demonstrably evil. gathering poor little forest creatures for "materials in game", trade crates we're technically cutting down forests for timber, our workers as someone mentioned only get a diet of beer (and a few other things) , the workers in game are forced to work whenever we tell 'em too the list goes on.

Labor rights for npc / workers,

also #savebambi , #SayNo-To-gathering-Forestcritters.

15. Capca

I prefer indefinite indentured servants.TYVM.

Bolththrower and Jinoro like this.
  16. Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda Valkyrie 64 EU

Hey ho, oi there! While at it...

Could you please ALL stop ravaging the environment with all your mindless gathering, chopping them trees down and whatnot.

Could you please leave those poor hapless animals alone for once, and stop going after their hides, meat and body parts.

How about you leave those proud horses free to roam, instead of capturing them to serve your petty needs.

Could we just end all this endless fishing, harpooning, whaling etc, these creatures have souls and rights too, and mother nature ain't too happy either.

Just a few examples, jajaja I know, but FFS... There is reality and there is fantasy, not just in gaming, but in movie making, in literature, you name it. The real question is whether one is of the appropriate (mental) age to tell what is what. I thought BDO wasn't specifically targeting toddlers (nothing wrong about toddlers, they can and should grow to be responsible and intelligent adults), right?

Unless we are going to actually "witch hunt" BDO for actively promoting such issues (which are very real and very serious matters of course), on the other hand, I would think if you look hard enough you could identify similar "offenses" even in Hello Kitty or something...

17. Vortexii

It's not much different than American society. All the fast food workers, Walmart employees, and millions of other low wage earners working for food and shelter to survive ;)

Jinoro and Tracey like this.
  18. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 64 EU

"freedom"

[​IMG]

Allan1985, Aaarggghhh, HucKa and 6 others like this.
  19. TeRRoRibleOne

You should go do some research on slavery cause every single race has been enslaved at one point, most nations throughout the world were built using it. You know those nice pyramids in Egypt that everyone loves, built with slave labor. You know all those wonderful old buildings in Greece and Rome, built with slave labor. This is just a couple examples in which I could go on for a very long time picking it out. Yet I still haven't seen the OP mention anything about Qatar using actual slave labor to build those nice stadiums for the world cup and it's 2020. And the thing that has changed since Feb isn't about slavery, its about police brutality.

MoonDance17, VasilisD and Jinoro like this.
  20. Wollbert

Wollbert Witch 61 EU

no they were build by aliens!!!!!!!!!!

v.klishev, Tracey and Jinoro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.