1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slavery and O'dylitta

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by T800, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kikux

and no stop with your peasants history lessons people who built the pyramids are far away from being slaves hollywood made them slaves but not real history and evidence they were buried in the most respected places in egypt and they found +100.000 names of these workers in the most respected palce in the pyramid of Giza the top chambers they had names wives kids they eated the best food got the best care because they alone used to built these pyramids very very well no one else if they respect the client they will build for him the most amazing pyramid if they d'ont respect the client they will build for him the most disgusting really ugly pyramid you can imagine can't even live for 200 years and get destroyed by nature. Greece and Rome they had inferiority complex because they had nothing it's like Adolf they wanted to kill and replace everybody.

#121 Kikux, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. Boink

The settings are online encouraging to do something offline in a real-life basis. Just like calling S.W.A.T. on players because well you hate him or you got owned. That's a crime. Online activity stays ONLINE unless it's very malicious that is applied in real life.

When playing a game it is a release from real-life settings. Where your friends can kill you with a headshot without the guilt or the penalties of "encouraging vile acts against humanity". No one will file a suit because you got T-Bag in a video game. No one is encouraging T-Bag someone in real life either. Because we know the difference between fantasy and reality.... at least some of us.

Let's just say there are many owners of Grand Theft Auto that doesn't do the same stunts they do in-game applied in real life. Nor I doubt it encourages them to do those acts.

LinaCrysta likes this.
  3. Deyric

No that is literally not what I said you LIAR. That you have to lie to make your arguments says everything about you.

I said you can and many assume you are paying them on top of being given beer, the beer is there to tie it into the crafting system more where just giving them money doesn't do. Oh wait you actually think that much beer costs as much as we pay to make it since you want to make ridiculous comparisons.

But clearly you can't make an honest or rational argument and are still ducking the choices part which was the main point you clearly have no response to or just can't think of a lie to make up.

4. rtb001

There is a simple solution: Don't play. Fire is hot. Instead of standing in it, complaining that it's hot, move out of the fire? You see, I read the OP in a completely different light: The game doesn't conform to my standards, and needs to be changed so that it does". It's the typical thing that's been going on for the last 20 years or so in gaming, after all. The OP condemns slavery in a fictional setting, while idolizing people that are committing felonies by "toppling slave owners". Some of the statues that were toppled, by the way, were not slave owners. One was of a man that dedicated his life to ending slavery, getting the US to honor "all men are created equal". He was, ironically enough, also black.

These are the same people that have gone around Louisville Kentucky extorting immigrant business owners, "you'll pay us this much a month, and buy from us, or else" *Smashes flower pot*. These are the same people that for months attempted to burn down a Federal court house in Portland, and set up an "autonomous zone" in Seattle, where people were murdered in the name of "defund the police". So no, I don't have to consider anything but the stated position when I say "if you're not happy with what's presented, move on".

5. MarsKiller

MarsKiller Ranger 62 EU

Laws are very complex. You can have a lot of laws talking about the same subject. To give a example: In my country it's legal to buy a special powder in a legal and approved shop by the goverment. However a other law say it's illegal to own/sell this special powder. See the problem? 2 laws talking about the same subject and both give a total different answer. Your fiction law will pretty much be the same (If it exist in the first place). The reason why: The same reason why you can play BDO right now in the first place. The same reason why you can go and watch a movie about terrible events from the past. It's because of enteraiment. Utopia movies/games/stories/books don't sell. If the EU law exist then it will be a really really big gray area.

6. Jena

No one living has ever owned or been a slave legally in the United States.

7. Hypotermia

Let me get this straight. Your're bitching like little child because BDO which is COMPLETELY fictional product and has slavery?

If this is the case. How ****in hypocrite are you? Why do you play video games that contain violence? Why do you watch tv shows that contain violence?

Seriously go and unplug your ethernet cable and go to mountains middle of nowhere and start living as hermit. This world is not for you.

Also there is 0 scientific evidence to support claims like yours

8. Boink

My clear response was simple. Most of the workers if we apply real-life applications only work for beer and they clearly have a dependency on them. Which makes them alcoholics or infused with drugs just to operate. There was no assumption that there was a "hidden pay" because they don't work if you don't give them beer. Thankfully a lot of us know this game is a work of fiction. But we do know that there are people who manipulate others by their addiction. That's is "crimes against humanity".

I already said many times I want to institute equality in BDO by being the first democratically elected President. I promise that everyone will get healthcare for all (infinity potions). Choice matters. Oh, right there are Choice matter games you can roleplay.

LinaCrysta likes this.
  9. T800

You raise some good questions. I do try to avoid games with lots of gore and violence. For example i would never play a game like Last of Us 2 - because omg, just watching one gameplay video made me never want to play that game, cause they put so much realism in to violent ways of getting killed, it's truly scary.

The thing with Slavery in upcoming expansion - it looked very real. For example when you kill other characters/NPC's you know they are going to re-spawn - so that makes it feels like it's just a game - it's not realistic, because no one respawns in real life ( as far as we are told ).

But when you put collars on Black and White Humans in the game - which as you know are portrayed very realistically thanks to the game engine - that looks real. And that's unpleasent to watch at, at least for me. So for me personally i would like to have an option to Free the Slaves.

10. Wollbert

Wollbert Witch 61 EU

common habit in medieval times. every household made their own beer. wine and beer was a basic staple food back then because you could not safely drink the water. it didn't have as much alcohol as it has today. very histroical accurate.
    and also they get paid.
    [​IMG]

11. thoehn

Censorship is bad, period. Unfortunately, it happens a lot with games developed in one country that are then localized for another, even though there are rating systems that plainly tell you what sort of "bad" behavior or depictions one can expect from gameplay. It should come down to the individual to decide what they are or are not willing to play. Removing a part of a work of fiction just because it is an uncomfortable topic is censorship, plain and simple. See first sentence above.
    And yes, slavery is atrocious and sad, I completely agree, but boiling everything down to that being where the line is drawn is folly. I live in the US and while a lot of people think that the protests going on are just about the slavery that took place here, that's simply not the case. There are a lot of social issues that have been going on for a long time leading to our state of affairs. And honestly, the US brought this upon ourselves and what goes on in our country in real life should have no bearing on the content of a fictional game set in a fantasy setting that was developed in another country to begin with.
    The inclusion of slavery- like other uncomfortable subjects such as murder, drug abuse, theft, etc.- serves to further build the narrative of the world that BDO portrays. I don't think for one second the developers at PA just put slaves in on a whim. They did it because it paints a picture of what that part of the game world is like. Does that make certain things that happen in that particular area upsetting for some people? I'm sure it does but, again, as an individual you have a choice not to engage in that part of the game.
    In response to OP's main question- will Kakao change it? Maybe, but I doubt it and I don't think it should be changed. I mean, even if it's just to add some option to free the slaves and not be a d*** , the only benefit would be making one of the many decisions your character makes less immoral to the sensibilities of a few players who actually care. That would require messing with the game's code and I'm not sure they can even do that. And ultimately, the shareholders- the ones who make money off the game- are the ones with the most influence on what will and won't be changed.

#131 thoehn, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Yyiara and LesserHellspawn like this.
  12. Boink

Just lore they create with some historical basis. In this game application WORKERS DON'T WORK WITHOUT BEER. You can "employ" them wink but without providing them beer. They don't work wink, wink.

HIstorical concepts don't apply really well with fictional settings in a game.

13. LesserHellspawn

You surely are aware that there are other foods that work very well on worker stamina ? Some of them are in fact cheaper and better than beer.

14. Paric

So the problem for you is not in game portraying slavery but in portraying it with to good graphics(guess you cud always set the game on low for doing Odylita that will solve your problem), now joking aside you do realise film and tv series have even better graphics but it doesnt bother you there or what.
    Now back to your other point of respawns in real life, i dunno ask some people that practice Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, or Sikhism they belive in rebirth/reincarnation which cud be clasified as a respawn of sorts(so about 1,5bil people do belive in it).
    But the respawn is non issiue thats just you again mixing lore and gameplay mehanics, lorewise no they do not respawn thats just gameplay mehanics.

So just accept it all our chars are guilty of many counts of crimes against humanity ranging from mass
    murder to child killing so adding one more to the long list of repeat offences is no big deal:)

15. Crimson_Scarlet

Crimson_Scarlet Shai 60 NA

If you apply real life comparisons to this game then almost everything you do from pve to pvp would be a crime in some way or another.
    Slaughtering mobs by the thousands, slaughtering animals including their young, killing other people, fighting race wars, killing native wild life and destroying their habitats to farm , stripping the ocean hotspots of fish,neglecting to feed your pets, harvesting resouces for personal gains and so on ,sounds bad right? Yet they only thing you cared about was slavery in a certain region damn, willing to accept genocide yet questions slavery in a video game.

16. Purr

so arent shai but look how that went

17. FrozenReaper

FrozenReaper Archer 62 EU

research indeed, slaves were not being used for pyramids just saying

18. PancakeRift

So, you only care about these slaves because they are human? Because plenty of other creatures in BDO appear to be enslaved beings yet you dont kick up a fuss about that? Treant forest has some pretty "awful" themes there with the deforestation of living beings, shackling them up and the humans using chained up Ogres for manual labour.

O'dyllita isnt meant to be a "nice" place.

Also keep IRL politics out of video games that have zero relation to irl. As a Darkie IRL I dont care for it. History is history. You acknowledge it and move on. It cannot be changed, what happened happened.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  19. Boink

I'm aware they added more food. It was back then when the only stamina regains was beer.

I'm simply suggesting if we apply this fictional lore to reality back then we are condoning the use of drugs to enslaved and promote human trafficking. But no one pointed it out until the reference of slavery. Which are one of the darkest parts of our human society and every one of our ancestors more likely experienced? Unless of course, you are of royal blood ;) ;)

Thankfully most of us understand that this game is works of fiction. Just like every game that was ever made. Except for Pacman that's a true story.

Mars713 and LinaCrysta like this.
  20. Nelkuran

It's a game, set in medieval fantasy, sort of. Slavery was already existent or at least implied in the setting. The Mediah Abandoned Iron Mine stands out in particular, but I'm sure there are other examples, and some could argue the workers we hire are probably slaves or indentured servants of a sort.

So, why is this a problem now? It's in Odylitta, the home of the Ahib, who as far as we know are bad guys, or at least aren't good. It remains to be seen what story will take place there and whether or not we'll have to get involved with the apparent slavery going on there.

MoonDance17 and LinaCrysta like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.