1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what am I supposed to do now?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Okkari, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Okkari

A wall of text ahead.

So I've pretty much hit soft cap and reached all my goals gear and level-wise and have now found myself wanting. I've been blindly spending all this time, money and effort to get to this stage so I could perhaps enjoy the end game only to realize there's no such thing in bdo for me.

I've done all the life skills, seen my share of the grind, killed all the bosses, enhanced gear, sat on the marketplace for hours in hopes of not having to enhance gear, tried all the classes I had any interest in, spent more money on rolling classes that I care to admit, tried node wars, tried red battlefield, even went perma red a few whiles back and now I just don't know what to do anymore.

The pve content in this game's all a simple repetition of the previous thing you just did with maybe some more damage, more hp and a new coat of paint.

With basic mobs you just move from mob to mob one shotting ****, maybe two shotting **** if you can actually be bothered going for the "tougher" spots. Bosses are pretty much a cycle of - blind attacks - wait till he's done with his one shot attack - more blind attacks - wait till he's done with his other one shot attack - even more blind attacks - watching it die and hoping you get an aura. While basic mobs at least have the looming "threat" of pvp on them, they've completely removed that from bosses to make it even less interesting. The few life skills that aren't actually just afk skills, are not all the more engaging. You put on a different looking tool that does the exact same thing on a different looking thing, yay.

And no, Drieghan won't do ****, just more of the same with an alternate skin.

And all this engaging content is mostly done for the sole reason of getting gear which is in itself quite futile only for the sake of pve, and gets me to the point of pvp.

Everything in this game only seems to be focused on large guilds and large scale pvp which some people like myself are not at all interested in. Node wars and red battlefield are pretty much just pure balls on walls mass chaos, with a bunch of people being thrown at another bunch of people and seeing which side's left standing. Not much brains in that. Most of the time the winner'll be the one with the most people, most gearscore and maybe a more coordinated guild. Small guilds, small groups of player and small scale pvp have been completely neglected in the game.

I'm not that interested in making new friends or pretending I give a damn about the hundreds of people I don't even talk to in some random guild. I'd prefer to just do **** with the few people I actually give two damns about. And with about five of us we can't really participate in any guild content. Just about everything requires you to have at least 10 people online. Node wars, attendance rewards, weekly support funds, payouts, etc. So I'd either have to join a guild with more people in it, in which I have no say in things and go by their rules or I could find a few randoms to join our guild who may or may not even be active players, with them eventually leaving for the bigger guilds, leaving me in the same exact situation.

I do however occasionally enjoy messing around in the all forgotten small scale pvp scene with the people of the open world be it alone or with a group of friends, be it in the battle arena, arsha, or just dicking around perma red. The thing is, there's absolutely nothing to gain from it. All you get is punishment. And not only are they not encouraging people to take part in this scene, they're taking some of the opportunities away by for example completely disabling world boss pvp which only further estranged me and others from the game.

The only thing encouraging people to pvp is the neanderthal "my spot" or simply enjoying the act of pvp. And if you do actually do it, going red you put yourself at a major disadvantage. You die you lose your crystals, you die you drop your gear, you afk you get killed even in your own residence, you can't hang around most towns and even Muiquun's a joke. It's way on other the side on the map and there's just a stable, a storage and a vendor, not even a bloody residence.

As shitty as it is, I'm still red cause of the only upside it gives and that's the freedom to fight anyone when ever you just as well please.

All I'd ask are perhaps a kind of a bounty system, it wouldn't even need to have much of a reward, just a reason to fight. Or even something as simple as a kill counter with a leaderboard for everyone to see your notoriety maybe with a claimable bounty put on the leaders. Again no benefit for me necessarily, just another reason to fight really.

Cause all there's left to do is either to carry on with the pointless mundane pk'ing which honestly I'm getting quite tired of. Or doing which ever mind-numbingly boring "activity" I choose to do to get even better gear. And even if I do get better gear it only gets me back to the point I'm at now.

I really love the game, there's just not that many reasons to play it.

And no you don't have to answer the title, just venting out.

tl;dr - This thread's probably not for you ~

Factorial, AZzalor, WodanSX and 3 others like this.
  2. kogason

Bless Online is free to play!

3. Okkari

Yeah so is fortnite, doesn't mean it's a good game.

#3 Okkari, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2018
  4. kogason

My Bless comment was a joke lol

5. Okkari

I know, just a good excuse to flip off fortnite :3

Elenortirie and kogason like this.
  6. C4rdinal

Just accept the way game runs and go with it, i mean i have been playing for 2years and i have not a single pen. Believe me when i say that i had many reasons to quit .... so i did lol.

7. Atron

Hehe now tell me what game has any reason behind it to play it?
    You looking for a an answer of "why we are here" in games?

Games are a waste of time, literally anything else is more productive than playing games. If you would do out for a run, hang with your friends in RL, playing football ... even freaking getting a dog and petting him whole day would be better ... but here we all wasting hours of our lives on some virtual world that will have no impact on humans history.

If you love the game play with your own pace and don't care about reasons why to play it. Also stop reading forums / reddit helps a lot ...

Factorial and Frazan like this.
  8. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

Idk ... The truth is that any mmorpg or game u will play you will hut the moment where u did everything and game is borring ...
    Idk fap at loli hentai ?

9. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

Well OP, you could explore the game and reach energy limit, or maybe take a break.
    Better to burn out than fade away.

10. Blackhearted

Dont take a break because u can never know what kinda **** updates they come up with to further ruin the game.

Go to arsha channel, theres no penalties or disencouragement not to pvp.
    Theres also black spirit league but itll be a while till next tournament.

Besides pvp you got to think what u enjoyed on ur path to this moment.
    Was it occasionally grinding mobs, lifeskilling, getting rare loot?
    If you can think of something do it again.
    This time only for fun and relaxation.

When uve had ur fill say farewell and take a break, change game or focus irl.
    FPS games will improve ur cognitive functions so theyre not fully waste of time.
    I dont see anything that can do that in this game expect pvp.

Angra =[NuD]= likes this.
  11. Angra =[NuD]=

only thing to do is pen roulette and fail or succeed and do it all over AGAIN!

12. Beeso

Here's a groundbreaking idea: play another game....or read a book (oh yes I did).

13. 6footgeeks

All this time to realise that the journey is the end game, albeit with less people being able to kill you in the end

Factorial likes this.
  14. Escapism

After all you've accomplished, ask yourself how much time you've already spent in this game, then ask yourself how long you really expect any game these days to keep you intrested realistically? Didnt bdo already exceed that by far?

Dont ever expect any new game to keep you for longer than 2-3 months, its just not realistic. If you have been here for more than a year, then I would say it already did a damn good job at that. Of course everything in bdo is designed and intended in a way so that most players never even reach the point where you are now, where they start to realise that there is actually nothing in the endgame.

It's no different at this point as it would be in every other game/mmo, wait for new content to come out to play through and then put it aside again playing something else. Or you start rp'ing or finding a guild to socialize with, or set yourself a few personal goals to achieve, like getting autism and reaching top lifeskill ranks, or always finding new exploits to abuse.

Factorial likes this.
  15. Feyti

As the game opposes no challenge appart from the pvp as you mentioned yourself. It seems indeed you have been through the content.

What keeps some people playing games is the challenge they find in what they do.
    Here, the pve offers sadly 0 challenge and the gear discrepancy makes pvp somewhat crappy or as you described as it doesn't often feels like competing in skill but simply in gear.

I guess since release, a simple kind of money/points obtained though pvp would have given a reason for small scale pvp and wild pvp. A system like Aion had for example without the huge loss maybe cause it was detrimental to the whole concept.

But devs didn't go that way for whatever reason so yeah. Unless you find ppl on arsha to pvp against and who are there for that. pvp in small scale is kinda non existing. Let's see if this 3vs3 tournament brings anything in that regard maybe

16. Esix

there's a difference between an engaging and compelling experience throughout the entire play through (witcher 3) and a game that is by design forcing a player to spend more time just doing things, hopeful that they might eventually enjoy the game (bdo)

but that's just the difference between mmo's and other games. mmo's are, by design, supposed to be a long grind of repetition and mediocrity. just because you've clocked in thousands of hours in an mmo, as opposed to the 40 hours you've spent in a single player rpg, doesn't mean you value either experience equally. 40 hours of one game might have changed your life, while 1000+ hours in another might have simply taken from it

17. colesy

i had this dilemma come up when i used to play guild wars 2, and my answer at the time was that i played the game because i enjoyed the gameplay itself and just tried to pursue personal goals. so in gw2 that meant soloing group dungeons, maybe going in to the pvp arenas or just chilling with guild mates. i'm only 58 atm with **** gear but i'm expecting bdo to be most of the same where if/when i hit softcap i'm just going to be playing either small scale pvp for the fun of it, farming because grinding mobs is actually quite relaxing and the combat is fun, or if i feel like actually trying then to join some guild that does node war/sieges but that's sure as hell a long way off for me.

18. Frazan

Frazan Kunoichi 62 EU

You had a good time playing it and i believe that time was worth your money, so just move on or stay it's your choice..
    "Just saying, having softcap as a goal is a mess aim further or don't aim at all" just my opinon.

19. Mousatos

Mousatos Wizard 62 EU

I was kinda tempted to ask for a link of your permanent map and compass but then I saw that OP writes this "wall of text" because he reached soft cap. Nvm, nothing more to do here.

20. Escapism

Yes i explained the exact same thing in another thread not long ago. But thats why we play mmo's, as a long-term timesink and investment, not for some quick fun.

Still, if you get more than a few months active/engaging playtime out of any mmo these days, or more than 40 hours for a single player game, then thats already pretty good in comparison to most other games. Be happy if you are even able to stay engaged and motivated in bdo for more than half a year or so, because thats not the case for most people.

Devs can never generate new content or challenges/goals for their players faster than the players can complete it. Even all the way back to ultima online that was one of the first thing and major problems the devs realised and tried to deal with. This is why "mmo hoppers" are a thing, and why mmo devs always try to come up with mechanics to either generate meaningless procedurally generated content, or artificially slow the players progress (as bdo does). Neither of those are a good thing, but its literally the best we can ask for to pass our time if we dont want to switch to other games.

Esix likes this.