1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solution to Velia Harbor Boat Trolls

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Life Aries, Feb 6, 2018.

?

How long should boats be allowed to sit idle in the harbor?

1. 15 minutes

44.7%
  2. 30 minutes

17.4%
  3. 1 hour

13.6%
  4. More than 1 hour

3.0%
  5. Indefinitely (no penalty)

21.2%
  1. PandoraRose

They had at one point implemented auto-check in for ships in the safe zone of Velia, but people-as usual-threw fits over it. Apparently they couldn't be assed to spend 2 seconds to take their boat out, so it was removed. Auto-check in still exists, but it takes a fair amount of time now, whereas prior it was like 20-30mins.
    I tested this the night before Vell by leaving my Frigate out(I ALWAYS check it in otherwise), and out of the way of people trying to get their ships/not impeding anything. Woke up to find my ship was checked in.

2. WNxArcticwolf

Moved the spawn points to the coastal areas on the left side of the beach. the GM made the boats go there and they wasn't in the way of fishers or the dock.

3. WNxArcticwolf

That doesn't work correctly i can leave my boat out for a few hours its checked in. Yet every other boat isn't checked in.

4. Sleeping

i leave my boat out but not in the direct docks on top of everyone else's boat. like in velia there is a little cave on the side i like to park my boat. i dont do it to be a troll, its so i can remote collect it from where ever in the world.

Life Aries likes this.
  5. Life Aries

This is informative. So there is actually not only a lack of reason to encourage people to dock, but there is actually incentive for people to leave it out. Bummer.

6. Grizabella

Instance the wharf...

7. Thanak

The potential to remote collect the boat to another city as needed. I think that's the main reason so many boats are out.

8. WastedJoker

WastedJoker Striker 61 EU

One thing that confuses me is that I had my Epheria sailboat out for 2 weeks or so on one character and it stayed out despite logging out/switching alts yet twice today it was docked itself when I switched characters.

Why does it do this?

9. Randodom

Randodom Kunoichi 49 EU

Was it further away from the dock before?

10. Elenortirie

and congrats you have just invalidated with your idea whole concept of even having limited wharf slots

*hint hint* if your autodock feature was implemented as you say people would abuse it to bypass the slot count

11. JustSomeGuy

If is in check in range of the manager it checks in automatically after about an hour or two; save zone alone does not do the trick.

12. BiggusD

I vote for a spicy docking tax so every bloody raft has to pay for parking 1h-2h... etc. Let's see if is convenient to anyone to loose 10-20m per day for not giving a fck about the others gaming experience.(No, I won't pay 2k $ for an Alienware to have that, ty)

13. iller

I don't think it's a problem of the Players being too lazy but rather the Devs being too lazy. I'm only a casual modder but even I could quickly write a fast Volume check Loop that starts at the Dock Manager's spawning point and radiates outwards until it finds a volume not occupied by any other Boat or piece of solid hitbox geometry and then not only spawns the player's boat there but also flags it as their waypoint and gives the player a X-second swimming speed buff based on distance so they can quickly reach it nomatter how many 100's of feet out there it is. ...especially if there was a Map tools option to pre-set that Trigger Volume by prioritized outward Steps

One thing I've noticed time and again is that MMO Devs don't think in this sort of fashion. They just try to solve every problem the way most Dungeon Masters do which is either RNG or BAN the problem away, PUNISH the problem away, or just ignore the problem entirely instead of sitting down and actually thinking about how this sort of problem has already been solved in other Software applications that may not even be "games"

#33 iller, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. Fractal_Shard

If a boat is ruining your "gaming experience" you need to grow a thicker skin. It really isn't that hard to deal with.

15. Tasolth

I get the impression that several people in this thread have not tried to pull a boat out of Velia harbor even a few hours before Vell spawn. Heck, it doesn't even need to be Vell. The dock is packed with 8+ ships sitting right n top of each other at the spawn point. Gl trying to get on your own boat. Fought with mine a few times for 10 minutes before taking everything out of the hold and going to another dock manager and remote collecting it. You simply cannot get on the wheel at times due to congestion.

The easiest solution is some sort of boat instancing for your party / platoon / guild while in the safe zone. I would not like this as the final solution though. Maybe as a stopgap while something else is cooked up.

16. Claydough

I voted no penalty

The only way i would accept an auto collect is if we can pull that boat out of any wharf after its been auto collected

17. Claydough

Id also like to see an actual dock with many places for boat parking not just a single npc and a single spawn point

And as silly as it sounds, a boat whistle feature with be a god send, maybe it could be a feature of the “boat men” you hire for you ship to sail it a small distance for you

Tasolth, HayamaLinnus and Kachu like this.
  18. PandoraRose

I like this idea.

Or as @Sleeping does, if people parked their boats to the side at least, then there wouldn't be much issue.
    Much of the trolling these days comes from people purposely bringing and leaving their boats out before the rush for Vell. Getting a guild ship out of a stack of Epherias is an absolute nightmare, and some people are doing it on purpose.

19. Andaro

Ambassador

Actually, there is an autodock feature active.

I noticed this just a few days ago when I backed my frigate up to the beach right beside him and after an hour I had to go undock it because it auto-docked.

If your boat is close enough to the wharf manager, he will autodock after a period of time.

The problem seems to be that his "auto radius" or rather controllable distance is rather short, so boats outside his radius don't get docked.

His radius should be increased to the whole veila harbor, or at least 10x his current radius.

20. magret

what happen to trade goods like coins from pirates?

is it the same for all boats or just epheria? let's assume i'm afk fishing on the coast but in safe zone near my fishing boat to try and level that old prow, will I be pissed in the morning?