1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Split classes into 2 specializations

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Spectrari, Oct 19, 2018.

?

2 Specializations?

1. Yay!

2. Nay...

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spectrari

What if each class was splitted to 2 specializations? Of course such major change would need total rebalancing of every class, giving proper CC, SA, movement skills to each spec. Some iconic abilities should exist in both specs aswell.

For example Sorceress – ranged caster with dark magic or melee edgy bloody Reaper with scythe.

Ranger, who truly specializes in bows or agile melee rogue.

Tamer, who is real tamer and Heilang would be her main source of damage (maybe even mounting Heilang wouldn't be a meme, but a real useful thing), or Avatar-Aang-Style Monk, posessing all elements.

And etc.

I think there are many people who started playing a class because of one weapon and one set of skills from youtube, but then they find out they are not going to use that weapon much. As Ranger, for example, you still can (and need) to use bow, but when i pick a class with name "Ranger" i have some expectations of being a ranged class, but then find out i need to be half of the time in melee.

This could make some weak abilities viable again and bring fresh blood to talents (atm each class is overbloated with amount of abilities, there are many outsider abilities)

2. Murderingspork

I like your profile pic. That's about all that's good that came of this thread.

AZzalor likes this.
  3. Spartakatz

already there.
    ninja, kuno, sorc, striker, mystic - pvp
    others - lifeskill

RuleR, ODB3698, Thelemna and 4 others like this.
  4. Murderingspork

Hey my lahn is a great punching bag for the other classes!! Dont you put her down!!

5. Tvvin

There once was a man from Alabama-

*Walks out door*

6. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

They can't even get the current "specialization" balance right and you want to introduce a second one????

Mido, Rizzly, ODB3698 and 3 others like this.
  7. mega_milk

Minor off-topic quibble, but FYI, "ranger" doesn't come from fighting at range; it comes from being a protector of a "range" of land, kinda like how in real life forest rangers don't walk around carrying sniper rifles.

In D&D and Tolkien (where most classic fantasy tropes originate), rangers tend to have a wide range of skills and wilderness survival techniques, including but not limited to archery.

Aragorn = ranger = fights with sword quite often, bows sometimes

Legolas = archer = fights with bow mostly, daggers sometimes

If anyone wants to read more, there's plenty of it on the internet:
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/classes/ranger

Tvvin, levinano, Spartakatz and 6 others like this.
  8. Schinrah

They already botched balancing the "simple" version, what do you think will happen if they try to give each class 2 specs? Also what's the point, they'd have to create new skills, new animations, otherwise it would just be splitting the current skills down in half further dumbing down the game.

So no, thanks. Also, I like it when players can choose whatever skills they want out of the entire kit of their class.

ODB3698 likes this.
  9. Netreiam

One of the few that get it.

As for this topic, I’m giving a solid no.

If you want to make people choose skills in order to make builds more “unique” then ask for more rabam skills (and buffs for some of the current weak ones).

If you think preawakening skills should be buffed, why make an excuse to buff them that is so radical that they wouldn’t even consider it? Just ask for preawakening buffs.

ViktoryiaV and ODB3698 like this.
  10. Escapism

Star wars galaxies had by far the best implementation of the Ranger profession of all mmos to this date. They didnt have fighting capabilities except for some trapping skills (throwable items that debuffed creatures but barely did any dmg). They werent fighters, but they made excellent and sought after supporters or even leaders for hunting groups.

Instead they had survival skills like building camps anywhere out in the wild for players to rest, craft and give some protection against aggressive wild animals. Masking scents to make them more likely to be "ignored" and sneak past aggressive creatures, better terrain negotiation (could "walk" upwards steep hills/cliffs faster), and the ability to track and scout creatures from miles away and harvest their meat, bones, hide, ect. which were used by many other crafting professions.

Its a bit sad that we wont ever see this style of games and class/profession-designs in mmo's ever again, because now everyone wants to be able to do everything alone. It would be unimaginable to play a class or profession that couldnt kill mobs on his own, or would need even just 40-50% longer to kill them than another class. While in Star wars galaxies (before their horrible WoW-ization changes) about 2/3 of all the 40-somewhat professions didnt have anything to do with fighting and had no fighting capabilities at all.

11. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

I thought about it, but not in the same way : specialization would not give real new possibilities and it might end up with just another set of offensive skills to balance. Instead of this I think that a "stance" system would fit BDO.

Give BDO actual balance, we can nearly say that this game only has offensive classes, above all when you reach 261 AP. Each class would have a "support stance", reducing damage output and rising DP efficiency (making the character far more resistant) ; moreover, the same skills would be used with reduced damages but every "support" effect would be increased (wider FG, better damage mitigation on SA, better heals, better buffs and so on) or even created (for example, some classes could become "Armor Breakers" and break SA/FG quicker).

The same work could be done with debuffs and CC, but it should not be mixed with the "offensive stance"

12. TaoMachine

TaoMachine Striker EU

Too much work, and including lack of communication with playerbase for testing, they will screw it up 10/10

I would rather opt to rework current design into promoting variety of working builds, and perhaps include gear variety which would support it(?).
    To avoid making certain skills being picked up and soldifying single meta build, I would hide it behind pre-requirements like A -> B -> C , not specifficaly behind chains, but needed invested tree for example.

This would also need an introduction to new skills, and rabans being accustomed to this.

So we could have a StrongBow Ranger who uses bow weapon and charging skills which have huge distance and are powerful, and we could have a mobile version, let's call it SwiftBow, which doesn't excel in huge damage output like StrongBow, but is really good for kiting enemies and is mobile. Could also have a possibility of Trapper build, but that would require skills like traps. Awakening would work here as well.

The key here would be overall increase of viable builds that would also serve their purpose in Node Wars and PvE.
    Yes, it would affect PvE, because for example they could create content which would require support builds like Trapper, and not just power-hack'n'slash as it is now.

But I doubt PA would ever consider it, since it is far from their design goal.

13. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

One of the things pointed out to me by the RP Community, as I understand it, is that our classes are based more along the lines of "Heroes" each having a tale to tell.

Class branching is not necessarily a bad thing, and in some ways it works to create skill diversities through additional skill trees, and can be a cool feature in any game.

As a concept, I am not against the notion. For the current time however, there is.too much work being done on current classes, as well as upcoming classes. However that doesn't mean the concept couldn't be elaborated on.

You would really have to hash out the concept in its fullness and go over each class, which for having 16 classes would make for a long topic and some interesting reading.

In any case, you should definitely refine and develop your suggestion concept, so it can be discussed more accurately. ^_^

Tvvin likes this.
  14. Netreiam

Triggered.

15. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

lol, well its true, even if it's a snails pace in our eyes

16. Netreiam

How is this true? They might be working on their new class but single line changes counting as “too much work” doesn’t work.

Most of the changes they are doing don’t even fix real issues.

17. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

well we already knew that after the 30 day focus on balances they would be doing continuous ongoing singular changes over time, and that the next "big focus" was going to be on life skills which is still ongoing.

They have a lot of "vats in the fire", and we will probably have to wait until the lifeskill focus is over until we get to find out what the next direction is.

18. Tvvin

That's my almost my opinion on this . I know additional sub skill trees can work . I just don't care to explain it lol

19. Netreiam

Still doesn’t change the fact that as of now they aren’t doing anything substantial.

But honestly I’m just considering moving on. I really love some parts of this game. I really want to believe things will get better, but this company (PA) have built of record of being disappointing and I don’t see why they would change that in the future if they veiwed the class Balance we’ve had for months now as “good enough to move on”.

Just thinking this makes me feel depressed.

20. Ciccina

Ciccina Sorceress 61 NA

Because D&D is the same as BDO? You cuck.