1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stay Secure and Earn a Reward

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by GM Rhotaaz, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:56 AM.

1. Alextrazsa

Alextrazsa Sorceress EU

Oh rly. What is it

Kittyberry likes this.
  2. Kittyberry

Kittyberry Ranger 63 NA

awww, I don't exclude you :3

Jinoro likes this.
  3. Kittyberry

Kittyberry Ranger 63 NA

hahahaha you are a big tease

4. WizardBelly

Great job excluding steam players! So cool.

Patrik2991 and Jinoro like this.
  5. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

x3

6. Catastigma

You forgot the main message in first.

Change your password often. what ever is your mail,Steam, BDO, any social network, even Discord.
    Data breach happen anytime and EVERYWHERE.
    There is not a single place untouched.

Also Kakao cannot have proof of your change of passwords on Steam.

Your exclusion is totally normal. Steamy

Nanobyte likes this.
  7. Quelinar

LOL. I don't even know what my password is. I'd have to look it up to find out. One of the benefits of using a password manager. :)

8. Scapure

Not going to change my PW that i just changed 2 weeks ago.
    And i have different PWs everywhere, turned off google Account stuff etc

i guess no 7 days then sadge.

9. Nathanielus

this one who login via facebook are also excluded, dont you worry

10. HouseOfTalenvard

Thanks for leaving me out of benefits once again. Yet another reason to leave my card in my wallet. Let me know when you get your act together, and maybe I'll take it out again.

Patrik2991 likes this.
  11. Quelinar

Obviously, it sucks if your account is not directly with Pearl Abyss / Kakao Games, and you can't benefit from this, but since the whole point of an offer like this is for them to reduce the risk of having to deal with the accounts they manage being compromised, it makes perfect sense that it would not include the accounts for third party services. Assuming that they can reasonably figure out whether you've changed your password on those services (which is questionable), they could include them in the offer, but if they did so, it would be purely to be nice. They actually benefit from the players who signed up with them directly resetting their passwords given how many people are foolish enough to use the same password on multiple accounts and that Pearl Abyss / Kakao Games would directly suffer from players having their accounts with them compromised, whereas if a Steam account is compromised, it's Valve that has to deal with that.

So, honestly, I'd be surprised if an offer like this ever applied to third party services, and from what I've seen from other games which are normally separate from Steam but also have a Steam version, it's pretty typical that an offer like this leaves out the Steam users and/or that Steam users get screwed over in some fashion from not buying the game from the publisher directly. I've also never heard of games like that making it possible for you to convert your stuff over from your Steam account to an account with the publisher (or vice versa), though obviously, it would be really cool if Pearl Abyss / Kakao Games made that possible somehow (I have no clue how easy that would be for them to do). The closest I'm aware of is when GoG has set it up so that you can get a game for free on their site if you already have it on Steam, which wouldn't help with transferring your character and account data, just the game, though if Pearl Abyss / Kakao Games really wanted to do it, they could probably figure out a way. I think that it's pretty typical for a lot of folks to just get a game on Steam, because they normally buy all of their games there, and they don't realize the downsides to buying the game there instead of directly from the publisher.

12. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

They leave steam users out of it because whenever u pay for the game or in game pearls steam gets a cut. You guys deserve it for not supporting the dev directly but using steam.

13. Kerenis

Kerenis Lahn 63 EU

They already getting more than enough extra money from steam players by only letting us get a hedgehog from a 40$ pack unlike web users who can just get it for an easy 10$.

Jinoro, Patrik2991 and MoonDance17 like this.
  14. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

Like every ayer is buying the hedgehog... Stop finding excuses, steam players deserves it.

15. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Arrogance. Obviously pearl abyss did not have enough players/payers so they put the game on steam to try to con some more people into spending money. I have a web account but we are not superior in any way to steam players. Get over yourself.

Jinoro and Patrik2991 like this.
  16. MikeyMutz

What does Heedun get? He changed his whole PC.

17. Khondo

Not sure if someone has asked this but is there any password history kept? That is, can I change my password now and change back to a previous password later?

18. Quelinar

If you can, then that would mean that they're storing your password instead of your password's hash with a salt, which would be really bad for security and would mean that if they were breached, the attackers would instantly have your password instead of having to crack it first. If a site can ever tell you what your password is or was, that's a really bad sign.

Now, if they keep some history of the hashes of your previous passwords, then they could choose to prevent you from using the same password again (which is arguably stupid but not uncommon), but if you can change back to a previous password, then you should have to enter it as if it were a new one.

19. Patrik2991

How about a steam only event for the ****ing first time ever? Huh?

Jinoro and MoonDance17 like this.
  20. Patrik2991

There is, you can't change it back to an already used password.