1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stay Secure and Earn a Reward

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by GM Rhotaaz, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Megta

Megta Archer EU

No, there is not.
    You can't change it to the same password. So if your password is 12345 you can't change it to 12345.
    But you can change your password from 12345 to abcde and later you can change it back to 12345.

2. Patrik2991

"The same password has already been used within the past year."

3. Khondo

Yeah tested last night and message said "last 12 months".

4. Megta

Megta Archer EU

So they store the password hash for 12 month.

So they could restore an old password hash. But they could not provide a list of passwords you used in the last year.

5. apatia77

What about if you login using Facebook account? Is there a way to receive this reward?

6. Felthswrath

That's what I do for something that requires me not using the same password for the last three times... I change my password three times and then again back to what it was originally. The whole password thing is out of control. I read the more you change it the worse it can be for some situations - more lost/errors, more requests from customer support etc. Well I did it because they are giving me free stuff!

7. Quelnar

In general, the biggest problem with frequently changing your password is that if you don't use a password manager, then you have to learn a new password, and if someone has to learn a new password on a regular basis, then they're likely to either make it too simple and/or start writing it down. So, password policies that require that you change your password on a regular basis are ultimately a bad idea. And preventing you from reusing passwords beyond the most recent one just makes that worse.

Now, it's also a terrible idea to ever use the same password in multiple places, but lots of people do that anyway (especially since most people don't use any sort of password manager). So, it's potentially a good idea for a site to do something like is being done here and encourage you to change your password at least occasionally, but doing it on a regular basis would be a bad idea.

Felthswrath likes this.
  8. Megta

Megta Archer EU

I would be lost without a password manager.
    I have to login to 20+ different sites daily (work and freetime) and I have a different password for each login.

Quelnar likes this.
  9. Quelnar

A password manager is what makes it reasonable / possible to actually have different passwords for everything. It's definitely a life changer when it comes to passwords.

It does get really annoying though with the occasional website where someone thought that it would be a good idea to make it so that you can't paste your password. :|

10. meisanerd

You would be surprised how many of those random websites are willing to remove the copy/paste restriction when you contact them with a brief explanation of how secure passwords work. I've sent a quick note to a few, and they fairly quickly changed it.

Although most of the modern password managers support either autotype, or have a browser extension that can automatically fill in the fields for you, so it isn't as big of a deal anymore.

Quelnar likes this.
  11. eziowar

there's a criteria for password change to recieve vp for SEA server as follows-
    "
    [#1. Change Your Password] (Required)

① Change your Black Desert account password by following the steps below.

- Black Desert Website > My Page > Security Center > Change Password

② Make sure your new password is different from the password you used previously.

- Must include an uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, special characters, and be 10-16 characters in length. "

Do i have to follow that guideline for new password for EU as well to get the vp?

12. Megta

Megta Archer EU

The guidlines are: You have to be a website user (steam users are excluded) and you have to change your password!

13. Yaba

How come I don't see my free Value's Pack anywhere?

It's Dec 2nd now (after maintenance) and my in-game mailbox seems to be empty.

Did the devs forgot to distribute the reward? Or is it just me? :(

14. Megta

Megta Archer EU

When did you change your password?
    You only get the reward today, if you changed your password between Nov. 18th and Nov. 25th (before maint.).
    If you changed your password between Nov. 25th (after maint) and today, you will get your reward after the next maintenance.

15. Yaba

I changed it on Nov.18 when this thread was posted.

Is it possible I may had changed my password a little too soon? Because I remember on the 18th, I changed my password "a few minutes" before the game servers actually went back up, if that makes any sense. That's why perhaps my password change didn't count.

So maybe I should've waited a lil longer before I changed my password on that very day. Or idk, at least that's what I think happened. :/

16. Trembles

I changed in on the 19th, still no reward.

17. Debra

It also does not work if you log in with facebook.

18. Sharkfin

Changed password on 18th after this announcement but didn't get the reward either.

Update: 7-day VP showed up on Account page, not in-game mail.

#58 Sharkfin, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Felthswrath and Quelnar like this.
  19. Kobalt

Changed first day they announced this and no reward

20. Toshiro3D

No reward either, did this on 18th november.