1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Succession Ranger

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Éternel, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Éternel

Éternel Ranger NA

Ranger Changes.jpg
    From Global Lab patch notes

So I was advised by support to start a thread to discuss the planned changes to succession ranger. While I admit that Charging Wind was a little insane in PvP, the other changes are uncalled for. I question why they are changing Prime: Ultimate: Descending Current, unless they are possibly basing the usage of the skill from data of when the knockdown bug was in-game.

The worst part of the changes on global lab are those to Prime: Ultimate: Blasting Gust (PUBG), which not only removes the down attack, but also changes the damage modifier from 754% x5 to 754% x3. These two changes alone will gut ranger in PvE, as it is our primary skill for doing damage as succession. It will also change a situational-use skill to a never use skill in PvP, as it has a very limited range while also having gaps in super armor while using the skill.

So how is succession ranger supposed to be competitive in any form of PvP after these changes go live? What are your thoughts on the global lab changes?

#1 Éternel, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Minenia, Shinee, Niavi and 7 others like this.
  2. Xentrumina

This will destroy Ranger again !

Cnoethos and Arkachallo like this.
  3. Arkachallo

This change is absolutely uncalled for, I completely agree with what is said in this post. This change to the Ranger is absolutely game breaking for the class, there is no need for it, what so ever.

They should let us know why they are going ahead and changing things with a class, the people that actually use the class might have some useful feedback, as they actually know the class and how it plays.

Cnoethos likes this.
  4. Columba

I generally agree. Removing the limited protections we have AND gutting dps are too much. Start more slowly, test and adapt.

Myntiix, Cnoethos and Arkachallo like this.
  5. LiquidEmotion

Whoever PA paid to make ranger succession was paid for nothing. These changes will literally ruin succession because there is no trade-off anymore that is worth losing so much protection. I'd rather have slightly less damage and range capabilities with awak if that means I can survive more engagements.

#5 LiquidEmotion, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Rilok likes this.
  6. Kittyberry

Kittyberry Ranger 62 NA

Use the Ranger discord and share this link, cuz that's the only way to catch the attention of those who are interested, I will support with what I can, good luck.

7. AlnilamE

That makes me not event want to try Ranger succession anymore...

8. LiquidEmotion

The patch won't happen until Feb 5th. Might as well use it to take advantage of the PvE potential before it gets nerfed.

9. Silsti

Gonna wait for the compensating mobility/protection/anicancel buffs or just spam the **** outta the complain sites.

As for how it will affect the spec, it will make it nigh obsolete considering the rest of the tools arent enough to compensate and seeing how the entire idea about it was just damage with nothing on the side you might as well roll back to awakening unless you REALLY enjoy solobow gameplay.

Tekrunner likes this.
  10. MeltryIlis

Why couldn't they just buff awakening, absolutes, preawakening when they did this? I love awakening more, but god I HATE the grind on it.

Btw PA, archer's literally have the same skill as PUBG and it is the same thing except not protected... and they pull more trash at aakman than anyother class at the moment. Not even going to mention all the mobility and protected skills they have with the high damaging skills. Why didn't you nerf archer yet? lmao

And wth, where are the major sorc nerfs already?

Minenia and Cnoethos like this.
  11. BuShiDo

By nerfing the crap out of the other classes. Why do people behave like just because their class got nerfed the other classes will remain untouched?

12. Éternel

Éternel Ranger NA

Because that is generally the case when they attempt to balance the classes, look at what happened before succession was even introduced. Please move on if you don't have any feedback to add.

13. LiquidEmotion

You must not have been around for long enough. There are classes that always get shorted out during these "balances". PA has a good track record of leaving classes like ranger unfinished in the balancing phase to be left in the dust.

14. PepeBizon

Succession Ranger has the lowest amount of protected skills by very large margins, has stamina draining movement, no heals, and is useless in close range due to lack of protections and slow charge-up time for most attacks.
    The only thing Ranger Succession has is strong damage, on the same level as Archer, without all the protected skills, protected CC's, the heals and ability to retaliate up close.

These nerfs will cripple the class into mediocrity, because why take an average damage ranged class with trash mobility, trash protection with no heals and bad PvE into a fight with classes that can choose to become immune to losing in a 1 against 20 fight for more then a minute, and win at the same time?

Ranger has been nerfed since launch, except once, when they buffed it before the May 28th 2018 Nerf Wave that left Ninjas and Sorcs as the de-facto God Tier PvP classes.

Minenia, Myntiix and Kittyberry like this.
  15. Morticae

As interesting as succession is, I knew it was going to be a disaster. Why? Because PA can't even get balance right anymore with the huge number of classes they have--and succession effectively doubles the number of "classes" they have to balance. Why would anyone think that was going to help matters? It's like trying to help out a meth addict by buying them more meth.

The sad reality is that none of the decent game developers at Pearl Abyss are working on BDO anymore. And if they are, not on PC. And if they are, they certainly aren't working on a years-old class that doesn't sell LT and costumes in the pearl shop.

So I don't know that there is an answer here. The people "tuning" classes these days clearly are not qualified to do it right. And since they show no sign of pumping the breaks on new classes, I seriously doubt it's going to get better.

God just look at the 2020 roadmap. The big quarterly features are the ability to make Shais play custom tunes, and some "adorable" otters vs papua mini game that anyone who has half a brain can guess will be a dumpster fire just like all the other mini games they've invented in the last few years.

A few years ago I would have said BDO was hands-down the best PVP game with the most interesting combat mechanics. Fights felt almost like playing chess. These days it's really become just another class > gear > numbers > skill button masher.

Phoenixxx75 and Fearless V like this.
  16. Morticae

Go gaslight somewhere else. There is no rational argument to make that rangers have not been neglected for years in favor of other classes. Other classes won't "remain untouched" and nobody is saying that. But these are extreme nerfs that we haven't seen other equally or arguably more unbalanced classes get anything close to in a long time.

Myntiix and Columba like this.
  17. Shurmaun

I would personally just slightly shave off descending currents damage as a whole and make it have more reduced pvp damage on cooldown to deter people from repeatedly spamming this skill and doing a ton of damage in a large area, as much as this can be countered as they are standing still a while for consecutive uses, there is an issue with being able to position yourself behind cover and still have Prime: Descending Current skill connect onto your targets although they are not able to hit you and stop you (clip for context: https://www.twitch.tv/i_am_bloooo/clip/CleanSmoothDadPunchTrees).

The Prime: Ultimate Blasting Gust damage nerf should also be changed to be made either the same as the nerf damage wise only in pvp via making the pvp damage reduction increased to compensate for keeping the same multipliers for pve or a middle between current and nerf's damage. The Down Attack removal would be fine if it was left to be a pve-only Down Attack, although I would argue that this skill should be aimed more towards Down Attack usage in pvp too rather than a raw damage skill. Charging Wind's Super Armour change is fine as it is a short enough of a cooldown to manage use without spamming it. However the 'added pvp damage reduction but we cannot tell how much it is its a secret teehee' is stupid. Tell us what the nerf amount was. The guessed 50%~ reduction that a lot of skills in pvp have then it makes one of the few Super Armour skills you have to answer and pray it kills when you shoot it if someone is onto of you (Witch Wizard double teleport, Ninja/Kuno Stealth are the bigger culprits but you can manage it okay currently, highly depends on gear and ping though sadly)

Overall I do think targeting Descending Current, Charging Wind and Ultimate Blasting Gust were the correct skills the nerf should target, the way they are utilized is something important to note. Descending Current as I stated earlier has the ability to be used behind structures and still do the damage at the target location whilst being able to be safe (seen in this clip: https://www.twitch.tv/i_am_bloooo/clip/CleanSmoothDadPunchTrees). There should be a change to make Descending Current not connect when the target doesn't have line of sight on the Ranger using Descending Current, much like how Archer's skill's have a projectile, the area of effect for the skill hitting a target or terrain and once the area of effect happens it checks to see if the archer has a line of sight on the target and if it does not it will connect as seen here: https://www.twitch.tv/calamonian/clip/ElegantCrazyCrabsCurseLit. As for Ultimate Blasting Gust and Charging Wind, these can used in pvp as Super Armour damage trading skills that you end up praying if the damage is enough to survive. I still do think that Prime Ultimate Blasting Gust and Charging Wind could use a damage nerf in the form of more pvp damage reduction ( -10% -15% of current pvp damage added to current reduction would be alright in my opinion)

If these changes come in their current state Succession Ranger pve will take a decent hit, if your goal is to nerf Succession pve because it is considered too good then make other classes' pve similarly changed, im looking at you Succession Warrior. However if you were targeting the pvp of Succession Ranger then nerf it accordingly, in pvp.
    I hope there is at least some amount of revision to these changes, at least for pve.

Minenia and Cnoethos like this.
  18. Cnoethos

I agree, these changes really gut the class...

Prime:Ultimate Blasting Gust changes did not need to be as strong as they where, its our main damage ability in PVE (on a class that is only barely better than average at grinding) and by gutting it so hard you are really damaging Rangers ability to grind effectively.

All of these changes should be changed to be PVP only. And should be accented by fixing the multiple z-axis issues Ranger abilities have.

Kittyberry likes this.
  19. Columba

Sorcs got a measly 10% nerf.....

Myntiix likes this.
  20. Myntiix

are we playing the same game?