1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Succession Ranger

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Éternel, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

Even though i shouldnt care cus im going with awakening, changes like that have already gutted ranger awakening a long time ago.
    Why didnt they nerf Archer DMG then? Archer is way more terrifying in large scale than succ ranger ever could be.
    Yet those idiots cant help themselves but gutt Ranger yet again for no other reason than stupid retards who cant think outside the box.

2. Niavi

I agree with the post and I’m very disappointed with this incoming patch. Succession kind of brought back to life ranger and a few players went back to her because of the bow playstyle. Succession is quite fun and you feel powerful (maybe less so in 1v1 but that’s ok).

Charging Wind is maybe too powerful as it is now and some adjustements have to be made I guess.

As for Descending Current and Prime Ultimate Blasting Gust I don’t really get it since it affects Pve. Yes ranger is strong in Pve, but everyone else is in succession. This patch will probably make ranger irrelevant, her core skills are affected sadly for Pve. Besides, PUBG is the skill we use to recover our mana pool, will it affect recovery with less hits as well?

Maybe lower her damage for pvp further? I don’t know she seems fine to me (except Charging wind).

I don’t understand why nerfing her now. Her succesison has been on the global lab since september. Can’t they release fully fledged content?
    Why changing her kit drastically months later?

Some people went back to her recently assuming that it was safe months later. I guess not. I hope they will explain the reason behind and treat every class fairly.

Minenia likes this.
  3. Minenia

When an Archer shows you his 3 abilities which heals him while he deals similar damage to the mobs. At the same time I knew about these plans to nerf my Ranger to death... Just nef PVP damage and let her the PVE damage

#23 Minenia, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Niavi likes this.
  4. jsvalladares

I'm a veteran player, playing ranger as my main class since the first day this game came out in EU. I have endured all ups and downs, buffs and nerfs of this class since that very first day, and I stick to this class because I just love it. I have never felt the need to write on this forums until now, because all those previous changes the class has suffered along its history were somewhat maneageable. However, I think now it's different, and these new changes will destroy succession ranger (I hope I'm wrong). That's why I now feel the need to at least speak out my opinion. I should say that I haven't tested Global Lab, because I don't have access to it from EU, so my opinion is based on how they look on paper - and, man, they look really bad!

- I don't see why PUBG should be nerfed at all. PvE wise, ranger is good in most spots and very good in some. But so they are other classes that don't get a nerf. I think this nerf will put ranger at the bottom of the tier list in terms of PvE, since PUBG is our main damage dealer against mobs. In PvP, I don't see why PUBG, as it is now, is an issue. It is a very situational skill, mostly used for its super armor, and you need to be in very close range (and in flat ground too) to make it useful. Only the last hit has CC, but given how squishy ranger is and the mobility of meleé classes, it rarely triggers and you sometimes are dead because of all the damage taken from being at that close range against any class, despite the super armor.

- Charging Wind is not used in PVE. However, in PvP I agree it could be toned down a little. But not to the point of making it unusable. Yes, I think we can live with the CD of the super armor effect to punish spamming it. But it should remain a nuke skill. It is already very punishable as it is now, since you need three second to charge it, it makes you stationary while charging, moving slow as hell without that super armor when charged, it costs lots of stamina, and, once shooted, you are totally vulnerable and visible from miles away. I repeat that yes, it was a little overtuned. But if you nerf its damage too much (meaning, you are not able to take at least half the life of anyone decently geared) then it's totally useless. The risk vs reward of using the skill won't be worth it anymore. So with this changes, we won't use Charging Wind at all. Or at best, we'll take the Absolute version of the skill that triggers it fully charged when used in the Kiss of the Wind combo (which the Prime version does not, another drawback of Prime: Chargind Wind as it is now).

- Descending Current finally became a useful skill to be used in large scale PvP and also in PvE in its Prime version. Yes, it makes you totally vulnerable and stationary, so it is a very punishable skill to use. However, its damage justifies its use. Apparently, the changes in Global Lab nerf the damage of the skill around a 20% (from 5 hits to 4). I think it definetly needed a little nerf, since just two or three rangers shooting that from the top of a mountain or a building dealt too much damage. 20% percent sounds a little too much, but maneageable and justified, I think.

So that is how I see these new changes. I just love Ranger Succesion. I mostly do large-medium scale PvP. That's the kind of content I like the most in this game. With succession, I could be more useful to my guild in node wars. Ranger has become relevant again in large-medium scale PvP. At this point, every ranger knows that the drawbacks from taking succesion are huge, since we lost the few protections we had in awakening. We were already very vulnerable in awakenig, so we are even more with just the bow. With succession, we are trully glass cannons that need to rely heavily in group coordination and positioning. A heavily rewarded class in terms of damage but a heavily punishable one. I love that kind of game. So I sacrificed mobility, protection and the ability to fight 1v1 or small scale PvP against most classes. Basically, in succession, you chose the range damage and become incredibly vulnerable.

But, what happens if you take the reliable damage away? Then succession makes no sense at all. That's why I think if these Global Lab changes come to NA and EU servers untouched, they will destroy succession for ranger. It's just too much damage taken away from a class that the only reliable thing it has is damage.

I'm sorry for the wall of text, and I don't know how possible it is for us to not make these changes happen. But I needed to say what I think about these changes, for the first time in more than three years of playing BDO. Because for the first time as a veteran ranger player, I think succession ranger will die with these changes. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

#24 jsvalladares, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    alastersan, Rilok, Éternel and 3 others like this.
  5. Shinee

Today the Ranger is a easy kill for the mostly classes in PvP. If they get in a cc, then you are dead. The Ranger have very limited own protection, mostly useless in 1vs1 (many player have change to Sorc because they will be strong in 1vs1). In NW it's easier because the Ranger can get a needed protection from other player, but that's depending of the other player.
    I, and many other can't understand why the developers have done the Ranger so useless in PvP. What is the intention from the developers? Are they happy with that the Ranger is a rare class in PvP?
    Now, with succession the Ranger have get some few ability what is useful in PvP (in NW), but that is nerfed away to be a useless class again. Fire Tower next...

alastersan, jsvalladares and Minenia like this.
  6. Caprice

Nerfing the Ranger succ this much is really bad news. I also just hope that PA thinks twice about that.

I am just tired of those endless "surprises", that makes you change class or character again and again. That was never my style in any MMO. But it seems to be a BdO issue. Its frustrating. I started playing a valk when the game launched, without any knowledge. It was quite a surprise when awakening came out and forced you to play a different weapon/playstyle, that you have never intended to play. In my case that wonderful ridiculous Lancia. I also tried Ranger at the beginning to play Ranged...and i got now 2x toothpicker. So , when succession came out i was very happy about the opportunity to play the ranger as intended as a ranged glass canon again.. (less protection and movement but some damage).
    So far the succ is a lot of fun. Grinding is a lot of fun with it. But grinding is mainly about PUBG. If you nerf it that hard... i agree that class is finally dead again.
    Please dont do it , because its a lot of fun right now and i can compete in pve grinding with other classes. I dont think that Ranger needs a nerf for pve because its now so much better compared to other classes awakening and succession. Its average now and if you nerf it its crap again. You buffed that class to make it attractive again, ppl started to play again and enjoy it and now you take it away... whats the sense in that ? do i get my money back that i invest for all that class changes ? stupid me.
    And yeah. I am also twinking a Guardian ..and i am sure... in the moment i start to love it and the moment i decide to invest some pearl into that
    char they will bring the big nerf, at least we know already what we get with guardian awakening . No toothpickers or Lancia at least :)

#26 Caprice, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    alastersan, jsvalladares and Minenia like this.
  7. BuShiDo

There is no need to cry before it's over. It has just began. My class is on the chopping block just like Ranger and I am waiting to see what the end result is once they've nerfed/tweak EVERYBODY. I won't take the selfish position and start crying because my class is one of the first that got nerfed.

Class balancing is really hard and it wont be 100% perfect but don't act like they won't touch the other classes with nerfs. You lost a lot but so will the majority once they're time comes. The tweaks will be an ongoing endevour. there will be some back and forth. Your class might end up getting 1-2 of its ability buffed when all is said and done.

8. jsvalladares

Yes, I agree with you to some extent. However, this isn't a matter of balance/tweak, or crying because my class got nerfed (we, fellow rangers are more than used to that). Of course, it's going to be more tweaks and nerfs for all classes in order to balance succession. The problem, as I see it, with these changes for ranger is that they make the class not viable. Ranger succession is a heavily dependent stamina class, has very few protections (none of them really reliable in my opinion), lacks a lot of mobility... so what does it has? Ranged damage. That's the ONLY thing it has, lots of damage. That's what a trully glass cannon is and should be. So, what happens if you take away too much of that damage? Then nothing is left. You take away the cannon part of the class and leave only the glass... And, unfortunately that's what it seems to be with this changes. (For the sake of comparison, these changes are for ranger succession as bad as they would be for sorcerer if you take away most of its ability to iframe: its signature is iframing, as it is damage for succession ranger).

So, for me it is not a matter of balance or nerfing the class. It is about its viability. It has nothing to do with how well or bad is ranger succession in comparison to other classes. It has to do with the very nature of ranger succession... But I agree with you, it's a process and we should wait and see how it pans out at the end. However, I think it is fair if we say here that we think these changes are too much (I explain in my previous post why I think that way) and that implementing them would risk the viability of the class.

alastersan, Éternel and Minenia like this.
  9. Gekido

I can understand all the changes except the removal of Down Attack on PUBG. For me that is a fun-factor that's getting removed from the class, I love getting rewarded for successfully landing a Knock Down & with that change knocking people down will now be less fun for me.

10. Luxea

Luxea Ranger 63

The changes are because in KR, they
    -seige in remastered graphics,
    -pen accessories before weapon or armor,
    -mostly AP monkeys with rare eva builds, and
    -stack 50% ranged (ranger/archer) in their composition.

So, you have a combo of AP squishy monkeys with the squishiest 2 classes in the game. Hence why charged charging wind looks OP. Hence why the damage looks OP. In EU, I hit a 360 mystic with full charged CW (290 AP) and it takes only 20% of her hp off pre-nerf. Who do I 1 hit (pre-nerf)? People with 297 DP who somehow think they are geared for seige and t2+ when in today's meta, the qualifying DP for unlimited stat pvp is at least 310. Also the witchards who really don't like building DP even though they don't lose much damage potential by doing so.

#30 Luxea, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    jsvalladares likes this.
  11. Éternel

Ya, we also have people that think they shouldn't die to ranger on these forums too, you can spot them when they cry nerf ranger. I couldn't agree more about the witchards, they've been spoiled by having it all, why change now. Also, I find the lack of explanations as to why these nerfs should happen pretty funny.

12. Minenia

The nerfs are live on KR servers. But also there are buffs for the Worrior Awakening - so let´s hope, they do the same for our Ranger´s PVE. That would just be fair.

13. jsvalladares

You are probably right on the spot. These changes might be a problem of localization, otherwise I can't see the reasoning behind them. But if that is so, then we are doomed, because everyone knows that these devs don't consider other regions apart from Korea when balancing. And, for sure, we won't get a different version here in EU and NA.

Éternel likes this.
  14. Éternel

Ya... they won't even pay to have separate UI maintained/developed, why would they bother with different balance changes for different regions.