1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Such a complicated game to get into..

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by MissKiwiana, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MissKiwiana

Let me start by saying I haven't played a huge lot of MMOs.

Tried Archeage (this game reminds me of it) but I hate PVP so I quit that game once the ganking got too much.
    Rift was OK for 5 minutes but soon lost interest.
    Elder Scrolls Online. Once again the PVP aspect of the game and the crafting system was awful just wasn't what I was looking for.

I've been playing World of Warcraft for close to 10 years and I enjoy it a lot and it keeps me occupied.

BUT, I needed to try something a little different. You know when you need to take a breather?

I've seen videos on this game and read a few beginner threads but I just can't get my head around the difficulty on figuring out just what the heck am I supposed to be doing?

I am a crafter I LOVE crafting in games and its always an aspect of games I devote a ton of time and resources into I've done some training quests and I know I will never remember most of it, got my first house which is small.

But I am loss on what to actually do as a newb in this game. Am trying Witch class btw.

Do I just quest to level up to max first and then come back and work on other things? I have no interest in PVP ever!!

2. SarahGobbi

This is a sandbox MMO, so while there are quests and a main quest line its pretty much do what you want.

To level up you grind enemies. Your map will display what enemies are in the area and their levels/ recommended gear to face them
    Questing is only to receive items, gain Lifeskill experience, and Contribution Points.

Contribution Points are used to invest in nodes, so you will definitely need them, if you want to craft. My opinion is do as many quests possible.
    Also everyone, with a "?" talk to them. They grant knowledge which will give you a resource "energy" used to gather and speak in server chat ( to avoid spam)

I would just work on whatever you want as you go. Dont just focus on strictly leveling, or Lifeskilling. If one moment you feel like grinding to level, then do that. If an hour later you feel like cooking, then do that. Thats how I play and it has worked out well.

This game has a lot to learn and is complex. I've played WoW, since BC and still do play to this day. It is not like WoW where you just rush to max level, then raid for gear. Think of it like Skyrim, but with other people.

Also at level 50+ you cant 100% avoid PvP. Valencia 6 is a PvP server, which means free for all pretty much, but all of the other servers still allow you to be attacked, if someone decides to flag themselves.

If you are a victim of an unwarranted attack though you will not lose anything, so dont worry about it. The person attacking will lose karma, which means they cant go into major cities otherwise guards insta kill them.

Soulo likes this.
  3. ChunksAhoy!

If this is your first definitely do questing and level up to at least 56 since that's so easy to reach. Questing on your first character is essential for reasons being that you need CP(contribution points) and Energy(Knowledge gained by Questing, killing enemies, finding new places/areas etc.) to even start Lifeskills, not necessarily start but to get in a comfortable position if that makes sense lol. Do CP dailies, get CP. Work on Energy(Knowledge) then you can come back to Lifeskills.

Edit: Also please play the game at your OWN pace, don't ever try to race or be discouraged about failing something.

4. Dryed

Dryed Warrior 60 NA

Just lvl up fast, its super easy now, once you like lv58+ start getting gear and things will just make sense. Until then grind and grind as if you low level you can't really enjoy they game unless you like afk fishing or gathering or chopping logs lol

5. GM Dranzerkai

Game Master

Hey there! Welcome to Black Desert Online!

I've said this in another thread today, but for crafting enthusiasts such as yourself, you'll find that there are an array of receipies and Life Skills for you to experience, but in order to get a basic grasp of the Life Skills, head into Velia, and basically live there until you feel comfortable to move on with your job!

Crafting and Trading are very profitable in BDO, and the AFK processing means you can play other games while BDO runs overnight, or in the background, but why would you want to play anything else after you discover how deep the systems here go ;)

6. MissKiwiana

Yeah you see I deleted the game in sheer frustration on not knowing what to do.

It took me hours to figure out hotkeys and then and by then I had a stress headache and just deleted the game... and now I am going to reinstall and try again. LOL

I was almost level 20 after like 5 days? I might start over and try the ranger class. But keep my Witch of course cause she is so sexy. hehe =)

Is there any way to stop the marquee at the top of the game that spams market notices and other notices as its in my way when I am in my tiny house. It is annoying. My icons to work on my house are flooded over by the constant marquee. I looked in game settings but all I could do was get rid of it from chat. Honestly I don't want to see it at all?

Cheers from New Zealand. ♥

7. PewPewNation

PewPewNation Musa 60 NA

This is my suggestion. Get in to a guild with discord as soon as possible. Choose a guild that is new player friendly. I find that I learned the most with other players who are also learning. This game is EXTREMELY big and there is so much to learn. I have played since release and I am still learning new things. I think the list of importance from most to least.

1. Join guild/make friends who are also learning. This helps you share information and teach each other. Hopefully there is someone in guild who is already knowledgeable and willing to explain.
    2. Watch videos on youtube
    3 Read about things on forums and articles

8. PewPewNation

PewPewNation Musa 60 NA

BTW. the end game is pvp. Everything you do is to get better gear and yes you can PVE the **** out of mobs and become a pve grinding god or a god lifeskiller and make tons of money. In the end, you use the money to buy gear to pvp.

9. Musashy

Hate to break it to you but this game is about pvp. You can just lifeskill and do a ton of money but that money goes into gearing and this game does not have much PVE. There are no dungeons with one big boss u kill. Unless you count the world bosses as fun for you to play it. This game is about pvp. Or if for pve u like smacking around infinite amount of mobs ok. Otherwise dont bother. Also you must invest 40 euro to get 4 pets for pve looting. Or try your luck on marketplace gettin them

10. Myracle

Game is not complicated. You are just squashed with the amount of stuff the game has to do. It's actually alot. I had this feeling before. My suggestion add someone to help you out. If you have no one that can do that and talk about the game add me on discord Myracle(Bonya)#5704 Ill be able to talk with you about stuff

11. Andaro

Having lost two former mmo "homes" I can share the "what-do-feeling" when it comes to starting up in a new world and wondering if it is right for you.

Crafting is great but will require a little pre-prep work first in order to be efficient. Don't worry! Its not that bad really.

First thing I suggest is to work on quests. They'll push you into the right direction and get you leveled up enough to get into sufficient areas for crafting your heart out and make some money at the same time.

You are going to want a good contribution pool and workers for material nodes, and most of all, storage space. So earning contribution and leveling up around 50ish is super easy. There will also be plenty of Contribution quests grouped together that don't require any grinding, so that will be a plus.

A good read on a guide about contribution points will help, there are some very informative ones available, and a good look over map will get you familiar with which nodes to connect using the least amount of Con points.

After that its just a matter of stock piling materials and deciding what you want to craft. Personally I recommend some things that are always in high demand market wise, such as furniture (drapes sell really fast) , fishing boat licenses, etc. You can even craft your own tools for gathering, and cooking. You have a lot of options in the craft field.

At first I found all this a little daunting , but (as you will find as well) it quickly grew on me and became quite clear and very easy.

Any Who, welcome ^_^ and hope you enjoy your journey, please don't hesitate to post up with questions

#11 Andaro, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  12. TarkusBlack

TarkusBlack Witch 61 EU

Don't listen to these people, for they speak nonsense. End game BDO is whatever you want it to be. I can't stand the PvP in this game, have zero interest in it, yet I still play every day. There's loads to do. PvP is a tiny fraction of this game and you can just ignore it.

As someone above said, join a guild that is happy to help new players. There's a lot to learn :)

Jena likes this.
  13. Namyrioc

Namyrioc Tamer 60 EU

You are certainly right that the game is not entirely about pvp and there is alot of PvE content, but I'd like to remind you that this game is an open-pvp game, means you can get killed anywhere and anytime. So basically this game is about pvp, if you want or not. You can chose not to participate and run from it, but it doesnt really change the fact you cannot be safe from it completely. Besides, you learn alot in pvp about your class, things you would have never imagined beeing possible, since you get creative how to survive or to attack differently. Things you will not know if you purely go PvE.

@OT: Dont worry new adventure, you will eventually come along how this game works, it just takes alot of time and dedication and in the first place.... patience. Do not rush, do not tryhard. You cannot overtake people who played for months/years already and its impossible to have done everything in a couple of weeks. Let the atmosphere and the environment path your way how you wanna play and with every hour you will see how things are connected to each other. Try out different classes, fight different monsters, explore the map and have fun.

14. Wolfsilver

Well i learned a lot how to survive before doing PvP.. just go try Cyclops at lvl 39 or centaure with good Ap but with a cooking cloth :D this kind of situation give you a challenge on how survive with your class tools, even more cause in PvP you loose nothing (except red players) but in PvE dead you can loose your exp that you get harder.

Just try it you will see :p (of course no one that that without purpose expect challenge.. if you just want to grind you will always take your gear)

15. Grehm

Grehm Dreadwood NA