1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you for the Box of Memory Fragments

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Belle Atwell, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Belle Atwell

2 PRI Drops in 4 years.

Remember when company's would give gifts that says, "Thank you for your years of loyalty to the company," and they would give something that managed to infuriate you rather than cause the sentimentality they were hoping for?

That's RNG Boxes as gifts.

I dearly love this event for all that it is helping out everyone, but this is rather obnoxious to be honest. You just blew up 24 days of my grinding with your RNG on accessories. How about giving me a box that returns the largest to smallest of the destroyed accessories I've made for a year as RNG. Then you'd be giving me my time back? This? This is telling me you don't give a crud I stuck around for four years AND pre-ordered.

Otherwise, loving this event.

2. Andaro

Ambassador

They've given every player over a thousand dollars of freebies since Christmas, everything ranging from inventory expansion to maids & pets, and you're fussing because your luck succ'd on a free lootbox. I'm sorry but in no way can I take such a complaint seriously.

Megta, Feyrill, Naho and 11 others like this.
  3. Aillya

I agree with OP. RNG giftboxes where the rewards are stacked against the player really don't make the majority of players happy. For an anniversary event, where the bulk of the rewards are things that really only helped out new players (idk about you, but I already had better versions of all that free gear and just NPC'd it for what amounts to a day of bartering money; it wasn't bad, but the way kakao set things up, they basically had their whooooole event leading up to this part, which was completed in a few hours and felt underwhelming to me), making an rng box encompass the biggest part of it was a huge mistake. Everyone I play with, myself included, have gotten the cron/memefrag dud item consistently from these, and I don't know anyone who's happy about it. That is your goal, right? To make people happy about participating?

Well, considering we're already at the part where volunteer sheriffs come in to shame people with jUsT bE gRatEfuL u GoT aNyThinG from a company that made literally a billion dollars off of its players and then gave them rigged boxes as a thank you, I'll just piss off. Just know you're not alone in how you feel, OP, even if people here are like an echo chamber of corporate apologists and masochists.

4. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Nice narrative, however we're talking about virtual and not tradeable IRL goods here therefore the wealth of the company offering them is totally irrelevant.

However, you and the OP conveniently skip the part where Kakao gifted us about a thousand USD worth of freebies since the beginning of the year.

But I guess they're greedy evil baby eaters for not gifting you ten thousands worth of stuff.

#4 Smileybones, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2020
  5. Myntiix

Im saying it since 2016. People will complain about anything.

ν-13, LeCordonBleu, Rizzly and 3 others like this.
  6. Reverielle

Once upon a time we use to play online games for the fun/challenge of it. Not just being so focused on the rewards. Once upon a time there was no such thing as daily log-in rewards and the like. Imagine!

Seriously though, a lot of players need to temper their unrealistic expecations (and learn math, but that is another topic entirely). No sane person places a lottery ticket and then bitterly complains to the excuting company when they fail to win the major prize. It's functionally the same here, yet actually better, because we're promised at least some return, i.e. Memory Fragments/Cron Stones/etc etc, all things that are useful, just not the 'Grand Prize'. The ever increasingly popular perspective of 'I want the best reward or else I'm going to be disappointed' needs to change.

@Aillya, we're not shareholders, we're not to expect a 'dividend' or any such similar return for the success (or lack there of) of a game. Our reward is playing and enjoy the game itself, it begins and ends there. I'm sorry, but what you're saying I feel is so very far from reasonable.

7. KhaosThanathan

*sigh*

It's quite frustrating to see people defending the horrible implementation of RNG in BDO. Let us be honest here: The shiny Shakatu boxes were a horrible idea - at least giving them out as "birthday presents" was. The sheer value-range of the items included is already unwise. Getting something of next to no value like a 40 FS or Cron stones is simply frustrating when you see people posting high-value items like Dream horses (10+ billion silver) or TET Black Distortion Earrings (18+ billion silver) in chat - hell, even unenchanted items hold more value like the consolation prizes. Should you really disappoint your customers during a birthday event?

RNG should be a matter of well thought out probability calculation. In BDO though, it's anything but well thought out. RNG-boxes like Fine Accessory boxes or Dark Rift reward boxes are perfectly fine. The value-range of the items in Fine Accessory is quite small and Dark Rift boxes are also ok since you get so many of them that the probability of getting item X will level off at a certain value. That's one of the main applications of RNG in MMOs anyway: stuff you do over and over again so RNG won't excessively grief you since probabilities will stabilize at a certain value.

BDO though... 3 shiny Shakatu boxes including items with a stupendously large value-range is just stupid - especially if you distribute those boxes as birthday-presents. BDO simply failed in two regards by giving out these boxes: the wise implementation of RNG (*cough* May I also criticize the stupid awakening-process of Dream Horses on this occasion?) and rewards befitting the "festive event" BDO is celebrating. Don't get me wrong: I'm happy about the other items of the 4th Anniversary Attendance Rewards, but these shiny Shakatu boxes are just a really stupid idea.

Hondo_Lane, Life2v and Corrus like this.
  8. Ashenvall

Nothing is "Free". Evrything cost something. They gave to players some goods to give a sweet flavor of P2W CS. And for others players that didn't spend anything, they increase artificialy their time in game in the hope they will spend their money.

RainbowRat and Life2v like this.
  9. LeCordonBleu

Hey PA, I played this game since OBT and you're giving me only 2 free maids? Only 1 T4 pet? Less than 100 free inventory slot expansions?? Only a few billion silvers worth of ingame items? Only one free costume? 10% discount coupons??? WTF. This is how you treat a loyal costumer that's stuck around since OBT? This is infuriating me to the point of no return. You can do better than this PA, much better. Stop being stingy and give me 20 maids, 5x T4 pets, etc. You get the idea, right? Please, value your loyal costumers or else...

Otherwise, loving this event.

Reverielle, Smileybones and Myntiix like this.
  10. woots

no they are giving virtual item that doesnt worth a dime, so far i know virtual item can be copy pasted indefinitely without any further cost.
    thoses item only requiered a one time work, unlike real item where each of thoses requier material, and manufacture ( so yes, every real life item actualy have a cost so a value )

Yet there is nothing that surprising to have players complaining about RNG box when thoses give in the vaste majority of case the lowest reward.
    I mean after all thoses BDO years you sure only should expect the "worse" item from thoses, but still

SSIJ likes this.
  11. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Then I suppose you deleted the maids you got, the buffs, pets, etc etc since they "have no value".

Wodahs likes this.
  12. woots

I cant even understand how you miss understand so hard the "value" i'am speaking about. Unless you try to troll.

Life2v and Ashenvall like this.
  13. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Of course you don't understand my point since it destroys yours so you conveniently play the dumb card as usual:

Nobody cares about the production value of freebies in this topic, the point was that players were gifted services (virtual items) that would have costed them hundred of real dollars if they bought them.

So please enlighten us, did you delete your maids or are you an hypocrite.

Naho and Wodahs like this.
  14. Ashenvall

He misses the point completely. Like usual.

15. Rubyvulpa

I'm not entirely sure which RNG box this post is even referring to...
    - If it's the free attendance shakatu's: come on, freebies are freebies, if you don't like them it's a sign you're already very well-off!
    - If it's the shakatus you buy with silver in cash shop: those are clearly a money sink, if you got the silver to waste on those don't be mad xd
    - If it's some cash shop RNG boxes: you got a point, sadly that type of wallet warrior-ing is just common in mmorpg's nowadays :x

Every game has that moment where event rewards are far more meaningful to new players than to veterans.
    Be happy you're at that point where some memory fragments, crons and sharps are the trashy rewards!
    It means u doing good c:

Ofcourse, I also have plenty of costumes to no longer drool over that free one
    and it's a lil bitter to see people starting yesterday, almost get year of gear progression right away ~
    but in the end it means there will be more people to play with, finally could drag some friends in the game who'd otherwise not be around.
    Hope the OP can see it in that light as well, @Reverielle made a great point, to try and be more experience and fun-focused over yearning for better rewards.
    Memories > Memory fragments
    :)

Wodahs and Reverielle like this.
  16. PurplePumpkin

Except a lot of those items have functionality and value within the game. (Maids for example) I recently got a friend into the game and they're very grateful for their free maids. Maids they otherwise would have had to pay for. Heck, the whole argument about how this game is p2w is based around the value these items have when it comes to how you experience the game.

Now to address the topic. I've complained about my fair share for silly things. So I feel bad for judging tbh. However, both memory fragments and crons are also valuable yes? Idk, I never got why people complained about getting free memory fragments 'cause buying those things off the market can get pretty costly. (At least from a casual players perspective) If you got the box for free and don't need what you got sell it. It's basically free profits.

Wodahs and Reverielle like this.
  17. Andaro

Ambassador

Don't get me wrong, I disdain loot boxes when they are done improperly, and as I came from the publisher that created the lootbox gimmick and sold it to publishers and studios everywhere at the GDC years and years ago, I've seen all manners of flippery. I have even had my hand in designing a few myself....

A good lootbox always has the lowest prize being at least the value of what is spent, a bad lootbox well you can imagine. It is because of said flippery over the years by many other publishers (cough EA, cough) that they became a symbol of evil, rather than a gambling vise in micro-transanction game models.

While I do not favor them, I do not recoil at the company for using them as they have done so with proper tastes. I am in favor of more cash shop items as the game must generate revenue in order to continue being developed, but I am an advocate of "long term investment items" rather than "temporary fireworks".

I am also a strong advocate of items being naturally obtainable in game, and deem this to be a "must have basic principle" for any game in order to not only sustain and retain a playerbase, but to also foster an atmosphere of integrity and fairness.

Thusly, so long as items are naturally obtainable, in some form or fashion, and they are designed within certain boundaries, I can not fault the designers for utilizing what has become a common feature in online games.

"gacha machines", which is what lootboxes are, and "luck" are a part of eastern culture, and thusly a part of eastern made games. It was the western publishers (cough EA, cough) that bastardized them, and made them appear evil.

Unfortunately due to the bad implementations by many other western publishers over the years, players have simply come to view them as bad outright, without weighing them in context in the specific game and how they are implemented.

However, when the shopkeeper puts a token in the machine outside for you, and says "here's a free spin", I do not believe it ok to bite the shopkeepers head off because your freebie spin didn't give you the figurine you wanted.

#17 Andaro, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Reverielle likes this.
  18. woots

still doesnt change what i've said. tho, i dont speak about their in game value, but their value itself as "virtual item", no suprise someone directly jumped on me for that say ;)

Not never say its not nice to have somes CS item ( especialy maid indeed ) without having to use the CS
    thus, that's also a very classic commercial move : give sample to give a taste so make somes want more vs never give anything and far more ppl would be subject to never "care" about thoses advantage because enclosed behind paywall, and so because they never "got it"
    Its neither like it was a pure generous move, especialy with that company tho

I suppose you need to first stop the childish crusade you seem to have against me by trying to "counter" something i said when you have the occasion just for the sake of doing it. And you will get that you are off with what i'am saying.
    I mean if you like to waste your time like that, at least be on part with what i'am talking about, that would be a start.

I think he didnt had any other choice to drift away just to play the "i got you".

#18 woots, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  19. RandomHajile

Well, tbh, the fact that they gave out two life skill boxes was kind of weird, but I was telling my friend who also got a bad roll, those boxes... those loyalty boxes, should be like Fine Accessory boxes. You should get something. It could be a garbage 10m item, but you shouldn't get memfrags, crons, etc. It's just a slap in the face. he's right.

This coming from someone who luckily rolled decently on everything.

Edit: and yes I know crons/memfrag or w/e is worth more than a garbage item but just getting AN ITEM is so much better than not.

Ashenvall likes this.
  20. Ungvi

I been drinking Pepsi loyally, all my life. Not once have those jerks sent me any for free.

Wodahs, Reverielle and PurplePumpkin like this.