1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Farming Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Not_Alice, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

Greetings Folks \o

Here is my guide about farming and everything you need to know about it.

1. How to Start a farm
    2. What should i plant on my farm?
    3. Loot you get from farming. (+ Fruits overview)
    4. What do Temperature, Humidity, and Groundwater mean? (+Growth time overview)
    5. Do i need scarecrows, waterways, fertilizer?
    6. Should i use workers to take care of my farm?
    7. Do i get any benefits from a higher profession level?

1.How to start a farm.

To start a farm you need a fence there are 4 types of fences:
    Small Fence for 3CP with 4 slots. (Obtainable from Enzo, Difry Hussey, Mael Costa)
    Plain Fence for 6CP with 7 slots. (Obtainable from Mercianne Moretti, Paola Toscani, Goolie Gianin, Norma Leight
    Strong Fence for 10CP with 10slots. (Obtainable from Flaviano, Geranoa, Lashir)
    Old Moon Fence (master 1 or higher) for 10CP with 10 slots BUT with the size of a 4 slot fence!!!

You may have noticed that the smaller fences have a better slot to CP ratio, however you can only have a maximum of 10 fences.

1.1 Where to set up a fence.
    Plants need water so plant your fence at a place with a high groundwater/a rainy area, everywhere around Heidel, Velia and most regions around Calpheon are perfect.
    (Click on picture for full size)

[​IMG]

2.What should i plant on my farm?

The most people plant crops for their own use (alchemy, cooking), so plan on what you can use it.
    If you are only interested in quick profit, special strawberry is what you want, they are used to upgrade alchemy stones of life (since they give the most exp) and also for several things in cooking and therefore sell very well.
    High-quality sunflower (for cooking) and some mushrooms, for example hump mushroom/ purple mushroom (breeding only for fruit + t9 mats) are also popular.

3. Loot you get from farming.

From Harvesting
    You get 60-80 (70 average) normal crops, 40-60 (50 average) high quality and 20-40 (30 average) special quality crops from harvesting a plant that takes 1 slot, (this is doubled for crops that need 2 slots).
    You also have a chance for extra loot that gives you an additional 1-5 crops.
    Mysterious Seed*

From Breeding:
    1-3 (1.6 average) seeds of the same quality or higher. (mostly 1 or 2 seeds getting 3 is rather rare)(even if your plant has rotten it still gives you 1-3 seeds).
    Magical Seed* (artisan 1 or higher)
    Mysterious Seed**
    Trashloot (aka sideproducts for stonetail fodder)
    Fruits, here a list of which fruits you get from which plants:
    Pretty picture for a better overview: Fruits and their Plants
    [​IMG] Fruit of Crimson Flame: Garlic, Hot Pepper, Pepper, Olives, Pumpkin
    [​IMG] Fruit of Abundance: Sunflower, Strawberry, Grape, Onion
    [​IMG] Fruit of Nature: Carrot, Barley, Sweet Potatoe, Potatoe, Acacia, Dalvenia Alrea, Fig, Freekeh, Leccinum, Nolia, Nutmeg, Pie Mushroom, Purple Mushroom, Penestraria, Star Anise, Teff
    [​IMG] Fruit of the Sun: Corn, Wheat, Tomato, Paprika,
    [​IMG] Fruit of Magic Power: Emperor Mushroom, Fortuneteller Mushroom, Hump Mushroom, Tiger Mushroom
    [​IMG] Fruit of Enchantment: (All herbs) Dry Mane Grass, Fire Flake Flower, Silk Honey Grass, Silver Azaleah, Sunrise Herb
    [​IMG] Fruit of Perfection: Arrow Mushroom, Bluffer Mushroom, Cloud Mushroom, Fog Mushroom
    [​IMG] Fruit of Destruction: Amanita Mushroom, Ancient Mushroom, Ghost Mushroom, Dwarf Mushroom, Sky Mushroom

From Removing Pests:
    Caterpillar, Spirit's Leaf, Female Kermes, Mysterious Seed*, Hard Black Crystal Shard, Sharp Black Crystal Shard

From Pruning:
    1-10 Weeds, Twig, Monk's Branch, Mysterious Seed*, Hard Black Crystal Shard, Sharp Black Crystal Shard

*Magical Seed (artisan 1 or higher): Obtainable from breeding special seeds/magical seeds, takes up 5 slots and yields 5 times as much crops/trashloot/fruit of x than a special seed (good for lazy people!)

**Mysterious Seed: Shake (process) the mysterious seed with any special seed to receive the respective mysterious seed of x.
    This seed takes 5 slots but yields 7 times as much as a normal plant if you harvest it. However if you breed it you will NOT get any seeds, instead you will get 3-4 fruits of x.

[​IMG]

4. What do Temperature, Humidity, and Groundwater mean? (+Growth time overview)

Temperature=gives the % amount by how much your plant grows in 5 minutes.
    The growth greatly varies if the temperature isn't optimal, so make sure that your plants have it nice and cozy.
    Growth time overview here (Did not make it myself, credits to the unknown owner)
    (example special strawberry)
    Good Temperature = 5h 12m 30sec
    Cold Temperature = 16h 40m
    Warm Temperature = 10h 25m
    [​IMG]

Humidity = gives the % chance of your plants getting blighted by insects/pests every 5 minutes.
    (example special dry mane grass)
    [​IMG]

Groundwater = is very important for your plants without water your moisture level will sink and if it reaches 0 your plants rot and will yield 50% less.
    So always be sure to set up your fences at a place with enough water!

5. Do i need scarecrows, waterways, fertilizer?

Scarecrows keep birds away, but the damage the birds do is really insignificant, so you rather use that slot for another plant.
    Waterways reduce the Water/Moisture consumption by 50% which is good in dry regions, however if you have enough groundwater you won't need them.
    Fertilizer increase the growing speed of all nearby plants by 20% for a maximum of 1 hour.

6.Should i use workers to take care of my farm?

No, you should not, workers can't gather Hard/Sharp Shards, they pretty much always give you weeds and consume a huge amount of beer, i don't recommend it.

7. Do i get any benefits from a higher profession level?

You will consume less energy and the time required for pruning/removing petsts/harvesting/breeding seeds will be reduced.
    You won't get more hard/sharp shards.

If you have any questions, concerns or complains let me know.

Cheers, Not_Alice

#1 Not_Alice, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  2. YoungSavage

great guide
    high five

[​IMG]

3. Lady Minuit

Lady Minuit DeMinuit Kunoichi 61 NA

Do you have more chance to get fruits of x if you breed special seeds or is it the same regardless of the seed's quality?

4. Thalos90

Thank you for the guide :-)
    I worked already with 3*10 fences, but you pointed some good tips that helped me out!

5. PrintMage

PrintMage Ironhandfifth DarkKnight 61 NA

Nice guide, Thank you.

6. MuseTorment

MuseTorment DarkKnight 56 EU

Thanks for the guide. Isn't it a good idea to keep workers there though so the crops grow evenly? Sometimes I'm out fighting and don't have time to go all the way there (there's always my other characters but...)

7. glarty

Great guide.
    May I suggest, that you should use max # fences with the CP you are committing.
    eg
    30 CP to spare, get 10x small, not 3x strong
    This is to maintain groundwater/fertiliser for longer, giving better crop yields.
    Also, make sure the fences are significantly distant to each other, GW/fert usage extends beyond the fence boarders.
    To know they are far enough apart, plant seeds in all plots, check water level on both before you add water/fert.
    Then add water/fert to one fence area, check the GW/fert increase, then make sure this increase hasn't happened on you other crops in other fences.
    Doing this makes a huge difference for GW/fert consumption compared to fences all stacked together.

Sp00ky Ghost likes this.
  8. glarty

2 main reasons to farm -
    1. Maximum special produce result
    eg, mats for life alchemy stones, Special Strawberries, waterway/workers are 100% required(if u don't want to just play farmville), virtually no farming XP though.
    When crop is ready to harvest, health & moister must be 100% for max yields +-rngesus

2. levelling farming, prof/hards&sharps, bonus farming products when harvesting.
    No workers.
    Tending only.
    No fertilise, no water (reduces health, gives more chances for tending to get more bonus stuff)
    Basically do everything wrong.

9. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

sure if you don't have the time and prefer to grind in the meanwhile and only want the crops then using workers is perfectly fine :)
    (you will even get your crops a bit faster since the workers keep your plants "clean")
    but you won't get any hard/sharp shards and lifeskill exp ~

10. Rivkah

Thanks for the guide - I'm just about to get into farming so this is really helpful!

11. Le_Flemard

Great guide, maybe expanding it with a table indicating humidity and temperature level of each regions, with another tab for each plants ofc?

12. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

good idea, but you can see the humidity and temperature on the world map, i'm also a very lazy person so i'll pass on that :)

#12 Not_Alice, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Itago likes this.
  13. Le_Flemard

Well, I'll try to comptabilise all seeds timers near heidel quarry, should serve as example for younguns...

14. Niepokalanek

If my crop will root and I will come it after some time, use a water on the fence and moisture it - will the 50% debuff to my yield disappear? Or once it roots it will always yield only 50%?

Earlier it was stated that you should gather your yield between 100 and 120% after 120% you should only breed the crop. Is it true? Or I can gather without debuff to yield from 100 to 199%?

15. JPnova

I'm planning to sink 50 CP into farming to grow Sunflowers and Strawberries since I can use them for Tea. Fruit of Abundance will be handy for Alchemy.
    My only issue I work about 12 hours 4 days a week, and am out for about 13-14hrs daily.
    Any idea what would be the ideal location for slow growing? I'd do the pruning and what not the other 3 days.

16. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

I'm not sure, would be weird if it would work if you water them before gathering, but it could work, have to try that out.

The 120% thing is an outdated information, back then 120% was the maximum your plant could grow, now it's 200%
    So it's safe to gather them until 199%.

Plant them in the desert then they will need 10-11 hours to grow, with debuff 20-22 hours to hit 100%
    But you can also plant them in normal areas IF you gather/plant them before you go to work, strawberrys need 5h12m to grow in a normal area, that is doubled with the debuff (10h24m) and then your plant is at 100%, and since you still get the maximum amount of you gather them at 199% you can let them grow for 20h47m.
    Tl:tr, just plant them anywhere, it doesn't really matter.

17. Niepokalanek

Does the yield debuff when crop reaches 200% apply to seeds while breeding?
    Its also a good idea to mention that once the patch with t9 horses hits its gonna be a good momey to produce items required to awaken the horses.

Also I wont tell you why, but you will really want to hit Master in farming soon ;) so no workers, go and prune ;)

18. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

at 200% it says "old crops will yield less" but you can still get 1-3 Seeds

#18 Not_Alice, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Niepokalanek likes this.
  19. Mikroman

Breeding will give you 1-3 seeds. "old crop" debuff will not affect seed output.
    Fruit/ and flowers output are different. Or this is change in all fruits, mushrooms and flowers? Special strawberry offer 20-25 blue strawberry. Special sunflower give us 30-35 blue sunflowers. (+1-2 in extra/lucky drops).

Drop of Removing Pests and Pruning actions will generate farming XP. Trash loot give you (near) nothing. Weeds give you weak XP. Monk's Branch and spirit's leaf are good XP generators, Shards are "jackpots". :D

20. Not_Alice

Not_Alice Tamer 62 EU

@Mikroman Both special sunflower and special strawberry give between 20-40, with a small chance of giving an extra 1-5, please don't post wrong information here.