1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Definitive Guide to the Archaeologist's Map

Discussion in 'Guides' started by PeregrineOmega, Jun 14, 2017.

1. PeregrineOmega

skilledexplorer.png

I've decided that it's time to put it all in one place. There are a lot of bits and pieces of information all over, some including a lot of misinformation and old data. Now that I have the map myself, I'd like to share what I can with the community.

So let's start with the precursor:

This takes time.

There is no guarantee you will get all the map pieces separately.
    You may get duplicates, and you may spend hundreds of hours to still not have what you want.
    This is an EXTREMELY RARE ITEM that will take more patience and dedication than anything else. There are only a handful of people in the game who have it and it's only because they put in a lot of effort. It cannot be bought or sold, and no cash shop items can fast-track you to it.

Now that the ugly stuff is out of the way...

What exactly IS the Archaeologist's Map?

archmap.png

It works exactly the same as a Traveller's Map except it's a permanent, two-way quick-travel, instead of one-time, one-way. Not only will it take you to the town of your choosing (within a certain proximity), it will take you back to EXACTLY where you teleported from. It has a 6 hour cooldown on use, with a 30 minute window to return to your original location.

Experimentation Notice: If you change servers, change characters or disconnect, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR RETURN WINDOW.

EDIT: It seems the description regarding staying in the town you teleport to is wrong. I have left town and traveled quite a distance while still being able to return to my original position.

Further Testing:
    If you sit on your mount (horse and camel, have not tried wagon), it will teleport with you both ways.

There are a total of 8 different items you need to assemble the Map. The biggest problem is that THERE IS NO WAY TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE INDIVIDUAL MAP PIECES. All 4 of them look exactly the same. They have the same icon, and the same text. Before I had all 4, I kept each piece in a different warehouse to keep them separate, so I could remember which one was which. Otherwise, you'll have to do a lot of swapping to get the right order when assembling.

unknownpiece.png
    It doesn't even say how many pieces you need....

THIS MEANS YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH MOB DROPS THE PIECE YOU PICKED UP.

[​IMG]

This is by far the most important part of making the map. You need all 4 different pieces. Duplicates are worthless. Thankfully, it shows up in system chat. So when you find one, take a screen shot!

So what exactly do you need? Let's break it down:

numberedpieces.png

1. Map of Unknown Piece [Lava Tukar] (Roud Sulphur)
    2. Map of Unknown Piece [Iron Fist Warder] (Pila Ku)
    3. Map of Unknown Piece [Lava Devourer] (Roud Sulphur)
    4. Map of Unknown Piece [Sordid Deportee] (Pila Ku)
    5. Forest Emerald
    6. Gold Topaz

7. Ocean Sapphire
    8. Blood Ruby

They MUST be placed in the EXACT order and pattern shown.

So, now you know what you need... but what's the best way to go about getting these pieces?

Grind, grind, grind.

I personally spent around 140-150 hours combined. According to other map holders I've spoken to, I was lucky to have found them within this time frame. It may take you less time, it may take you 300+ hours. Patience and diligence is key.

If your goal is the map, then you will likely have to slow down and make sure you
    PICK UP EVERYTHING.

It might mean a bit less xp and silver over time, but missing a Deportee for the sake of 0.01% more XP/hour is not worth it if you really want the map!

So where do you grind? What loops are most efficient?

Just for your viewing pleasure, I have documented the rotations I ran. I spent a lot of time trying to maximize mob density for map pieces, and not for efficiency of making xp or money. Remember what your goal is. Plus, both of these places drop Sicil Necklaces, which are a nice windfall. Definitely makes it worthwhile to pick up everything.

At Pila Ku Jail, you need to kill Sordid Deportees (the biggest mob, and the only Demihuman), and Iron Fist Warders (the next biggest mob).

sordiddeportee.png warder.png

At Roud Sulphur Works, you need to kill Lava Tukars (the biggest mob) and Lava Devourers (kinda the second biggest. Once you get familiar with the area, you'll know 'em when you see 'em).

tukar.png devourer.png

Both videos were recorded with a gearscore of 203/205/281. Definitely do not need that to grind at either rotation, however. I started solo-grinding at Pila Ku no problem with less than 190ap and Kutum off-hand. Accuracy is your most important stat.

I'm a bit divided on which loop to do first. The problem is that Pila Ku is so much better in just about every way. It's almost twice as good in terms of XP/hour, the trash loot is better, the gem drops are better, and everything else the same. Pila Ku is a great place to grind in general, while Sulphur is mediocre at best. The only redeeming quality of Roud Sulphur is that the black stone drop rate (on avg) seems a bit higher than other places. It does not make it worth spending more time than you need to, however.

I spent the majority of my time in Pila Ku because I wasn't initially aiming for the map. After the first piece dropped, that's when I started working on my specific mob efficiency.

Personally, I would just start with Pila Ku because you will still get lots of money and xp in the mean time and there's no telling when those map pieces will drop for you. I do know others went to Sulphur first to get it out of the way, but again, RNG may determine that you spend a lot of time with little reward. So choose your path based on where you feel like you'll hate yourself less to begin with.

That's about all there is to it. Again, finding this thing is all about patience, dedication and a little (or a lot) of luck.

Personal Tinfoil Disclaimer:
    I do not believe node level or knowledge to have any effect on drop rate. I do not have either Roud Sulphur Works or Pila Ku even connected, and I have spent no energy leveling knowledge of the mobs. I found 3/4 pieces with a Kamasylve Blessing running, but I'm not sure they really make a difference, either, as I've used them many times with no results. At the end of the day, RNG will bless you or it won't. Some people get things with S and level 10, others get with C and unconnected. Do what works best for you.

If you have anything to add, or any questions, feel free to contribute.

Happy hunting!

#1 PeregrineOmega, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Chinya, Zev, Vorkrunne and 67 others like this.
  2. Luinanthe

Thank you for sharing this guide <3

3. Kapi Heartlilly

100+ Hours (between both spots) in and still no piece here, so yeah I do feel 300 hours is Decent/Lucky for you, as you mentioned indeed Pila is better then Sulfur in just about everything so getting those two first is a wiser decision, as you will have at least something to look forward to in going to the mines after as it would grant the map.

4. Lunafreya

Lunafreya Fleuret Witch 61 EU

Amazing guide! I reached level 60 two months ago and recently decided I will try to obtain this map. I'm going to see how much EXP I actually gain until the first piece drops. Starting with Pila Ku, since I have lvl 8 node and S rank on most mobs. Wish me luck!

PeregrineOmega likes this.
  5. Acolyte Kaloise

Thanks for the guide, quick question tho, which chat setting shows you the Item that dropped with the monster name beside it, as any chat setting I use shows only what item dropped with no mob name.

von_sch and Dahatox like this.
  6. PeregrineOmega

Shouldn't need any particular setting. As long as System chat is visible. Tick box is likely: System > Private Item. But as long as you have one window with everything showing, it should be there.

This doesn't work on *all* items, however. You'll notice only special items show which mobbed drop it (i.e. a Sicil Necklace)

#6 PeregrineOmega, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. GingerBreadTiger

I droped 2 pieces from sulfur... and i threw them away because i had no idea :P

8. Amenra

Nice guide, though do you know if it's possible to put the map into your warehouse and use it on other characters as well or is it locked to the one you made it on?

9. PeregrineOmega

It is not bound to character, or even family so I assume you could actually transport it (not trying it, lol).

Amenra likes this.
  10. See

See

Hi can you please tell me three things im curious about:
    - Can you teleport with Trading items?
    - can you teleport to islands?
    - what happens with your horse/wagon/ship if they are outside? Do they get teleported too?

Tyvm

11. PeregrineOmega

- You *can* teleport with trade items, but I have not tried to teleport while overweight. I'm not a trader myself, but it is something I'd like to test at some point.
    - As far as I've found, there's no limit on where you can teleport from. Hell, I've used it just to save time crossing the desert.
    - Mounts do not get teleported with you, unless you are sitting on them.

#11 PeregrineOmega, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  12. Swann

Has anyone gotten the pieces on multiple characters?

13. PeregrineOmega

Don't see why you wouldn't, other than most people focusing on a main. None of the pieces, including the map itself, are bound.

14. CarlaDream

Thank you for sharing !
    Well, starting at 59, 217/227/263, Valecia meal, Grilled scorpion, using Nouver(waitting for TET Kutum :S ), accuracy/resist down gems in main. Wish me luck .

Late edit:
    after @ 20ish hours

Fără titlu.jpg

#14 CarlaDream, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  15. Khybur

i got four peices but they are all mixed up any suggestions? im pretty sure i got two from the deportee so im heading back to pila ku now

16. CarlaDream

Asking a GM for help might be a good idea. If they do care, tho.

17. itsallpoo

Wowser this looks like a year long project lol. Ok so if you are on your mount it teleports with you, does that include fishing boats or the epheria sailboats? Can you teleport to and from port ratt with it? This reminds me of one the old mmo games I played and the hell you had to go through to get the portable crafting table.

Zuux likes this.
  18. itsallpoo

Wowser this looks like a year long project lol. Ok so if you are on your mount it teleports with you, does that include fishing boats or the epheria sailboats? Can you teleport to and from port ratt with it? This reminds me of one the old mmo games I played and the hell you had to go through to get the portable crafting table.

19. NoTear

I only need one piece from Lava Tukar. This one seems extremely hard to get. Already spend more than 50 hrs on it :(

20. PeregrineOmega

I have not been to Port Ratt with it, but the key thing to note is that it behaves exactly the same as a Traveller's Map in terms of it's ability to locate a town. It will not take you places a disposable map cannot.

Its power lies in the ability to teleport back to a location. So, in theory, you could teleport *from* Port Ratt, and then return to it, provided you are able to get to your desired destination within the 30 minute window. If, you are considering using it for trade purposes, however, it was very recently nerfed in a patch so that you cannot mass stack crates and teleport anymore (as with Command to Gather).