1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Economy Should Be More Dyanmic

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Lethality, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlnilamE

I find myself in an odd situation where I don't really care to buy logs from the MP even if they were available at current prices.

And on the other hand, they would have to sell for a ton more for me to consider going out and gathering them for someone else.

So I will keep gathering my own logs and let others do the same.

OP, may I suggest some guild gathering quests to help you along?

2. Adonaj

and rough stone + blackstone poweder

3. AlnilamE

Well, workers *can* obtain Black Stone Powder, but you need Rough Stones for it, so it's a catch 22.

4. Grizabella

A remedial understanding of economic theory would be one that posits one and only one economic model and fails to acknowledge that others exist. 100% free market economies don't even exist in the real world (see all the subsidies provided by taxpayers in the U.S. to various industries- and the U.S. is generally held up as an example of a free market). Where 100% free markets have been tried in MMOS they are fraught with issues of easy manipulation and domination by the few. On the other hand, managed economies exist in the real world and the degree to which they are managed is generally seen as inversely related to their effectiveness by those in the West- i.e. more control of pricing or supply= less efficient. Back to your issue in this game- you want ready materials and the ability to sell for whatever someone will pay. However, in a game world the goal is not necessarily market profit. The goal could be to prevent obscene profits and manipulation of key resources, for example. Unless you know the game designers' goals, you cannot really understand whether the economic model is optimized.

TLDR: Economic theory is broader than free market. Free market is but one form of an economy.

Cummere and AlnilamE like this.
  5. tallywacker

Because you don't understand or don't like it doesn't mean it's broken, BDO isn't for everybody and that doesn't mean it should be, if you hate it then go play something else or get your lazy ass to go chop some trees. Talking about an open market to buy logs when essentially that's what preorders do.

I gave up trying to buy logs off the market before you even started playing the game, the sailboats just made them even more in demand

6. Dolomite

In the real world freedom=freedom to innovate. You don't have just beer you have different types of beer for different tastes, different techniques and methods. In BDO it's just beer and is consumed the same for every player some more than others. In MMOs freedom to innovate just isn't possible and often times the best way to do things involves exploits which is why they need developer input. In fact the players aren't inventing anything, the developers are really.

7. Kaytie

All I want is some way to undercut an item below the minimum price even if just one percent.
    For example, I have a duo axion shield that I got a while ago, been trying to sell it for a few days as I have no further use for it.
    Sadly, the item's stats are terrible when compared to shields like Vangertz or even Kite, so nobody wants it.
    If people could just undercut an item until an item is sold, and then change the minimum price to that, and this keeps going until it is sold more often, that'd be sweet.
    Maybe restrict it so it's only done for items that are often left on the marketplace for an extended period of time.

It's that or they actually just straight up improve the axion shield with stats comparable to that of the vangertz, but that's for a different thread lol.

8. Lethality

Stop that.

Also, I've been playing the game longer than you. Fact.

This game has no economy. And players that are ok with that don't get what an MMO is.

#48 Lethality, May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017
  9. cruise

cruise Lahn

i also took economics 101

10. Krusty

By the same notion, if something isn't available because of hoarding or lack of supply, people are then compelled to create the necessary products for themselves. Why can't people go out and chop logs for themselves, then? It's the sensible thing to do.

11. Cavalry

Is the game still P2W? I quit back in 2016 when they first introduced the ability to sell cash shop items in the auction house. Is that still a thing or have they removed that feature?

12. Krusty

Seriously? You're like a kid who's just wandered into the room and wants to know what the conversation's about. Sorry if this sounds rude, but it's a silly thing to ask at the bottom of this thread.

13. MadMel

market functinality with having to bid and range on only the cheapest stuff is rediculous. to be honest this has been the least enjoyable market in a game i have played to date, it doesnt even stop botting anyway, over controlled system, where everyone is forced into the same kind of market, maybe thats the kind of market that exists in korea?. guild wars 2 still has the best system ive seen to date, and it seems to work for them. just copy their market place, and remove your own do same with basic dyes

14. rocdog

You don't get what an economy is. Of course the game has an economy. It's a managed economy that doesn't adjust to supply and demand.

In communist economies, the government wanted, above all, to maintain social order through full employment while keeping the population completely dependent on the state for food, lodging, etc. It didn't have to work well, in order for it to meet the goverment's goals. In BDO, the economy is managed with the intention. to push players into behaviors the developers consider desirable, like going out and chopping trees for logs and stones and killing mobs and specifically bosses for black stones, etc. rather than simply being able to AFK and broker hump the whole thing.

Plunge likes this.
  15. Tombs360

Where do I find the block option on the forums? I've been wanting to get rid of your trash reply forever and can't seem to find it.

Like really I can be a toxic player but you are next level toxic....

Cummere likes this.
  16. Tombs360

Never mind found it. Thank God for that.

17. Plunge

Plunge Cadern_180831091355734 Valkyrie 57 NA

An economy is defined as a region in terms of the production and consumption of goods and services and the supply of money. You may not like BDO's economy and you may not be very good at the game either, but it doesn't change the fact that goods are supplied for silver and these goods are then consumed. BDO runs a type of command economy as the prices and limits are set by Kakao, rather than then the customer. This mean, as explain by myself and others, that BDO's market is fair for ALL users and isn't build on maximising profit or ensuring that only the very rich can profit.

You've shown that you don't know how to gather or process, but if you do want to add anything else to this thread then perhaps you can point out the negative aspect of BDO's fixed pricing? If we use logs as the example, you can either set a very high pre-order if you're lazy or you can buy/craft an axe and chop any tree. :)

18. tallywacker

You being to dumb to understand the system as whole or to needy to deal with it doesn't make me a jackass.

Funny that you think it's a fact that you've been playing this game longer then me with absolutely no basis. Oh hey guys I must be the only American that played on kr server before NA, get a life.

You're just another idiot that shouldn't be playing this game because "it's not like other mmo's", the most immature, ignorant, and idiotic statement someone can make about this game. Go play an mmo that better suits you

19. 2cute2shoot

Next up by OP: "The Economy should be like a Communist Welfare State"

Dolomite likes this.
  20. Abarrane

Abarrane Witch NA

I still don't know why people dislike the current market system.

It is working just fine, obviously not perfect. It is doing an amazing job at preventing bots and RMT, help keeping the game clean, so... what else do you want ? Another generic MMOs that you see 100 bots for every 10 steps ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.