1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Expedition available globally on October 23

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Yukimura, Oct 15, 2019.

1. CM Yukimura

Community Manager

The Great Expedition Release

Greate Expedition.jpeg

• New current and wind systems make sailing more realistic and skill-based

• New ship upgrades will have players chase a new standard in sailing performance

• New ‘Bartering’ system introduces the intricate trading systems of Black Desert Online to the ocean.

• The Ocean has a new king with a new Sea Boss: Khan

This comprehensive update and expansion of the nautical content of the game is set to launch globally for all regions on October 23 after the regularly scheduled maintenance is completed.

With this new content update developer, Pearl Abyss is striving to make the ocean-themed content just as engaging as the land-based content with the addition of new systems and content.

A new system that will surely make the sailing a more interesting activity are the newly introduced sea currents and wind systems. These will majorly influence the speed and travel efficiency of your ships. New elements in the UI will inform players of the current sailing conditions so they can change their route accordingly. The influence of wind and current on your sailing speed will become increasingly pronounced once players had towards the deeper parts of the ocean.

Launching alongside these new systems is a lineup of ships and sailors. Players will be able to upgrade their ‘Epheria’ sailboats and frigates to a new class of ships. Players will craft these ship-upgrades with materials which will be acquired by playing the new Great Expedition content. A new ship called the ‘Carrack’ will be the pride of any player’s armada. To crew their ships, a new sailor system is available for players that will allow them to hire sailors with various skills to increase the efficiency of their ships. Balancing the number of sailors with the amount of available cargo space will be a new challenge for players.

The new ships, sailors and sailing mechanics will be used by adventurers while playing with the new ‘bartering’ system. Just like the sea-trade of old, this system will see players buy goods in one location, to sell them at a hefty profit at another location. Time is of the essence however, the prices of the bartered goods change every four hours, making it essential for players to find the most efficient sailing route. The new current and wind systems, and the new boats, will obviously play a big role in this. Successfully bartering items can yield players ‘Sea Coins’, a new currency that will allow them to buy highly coveted items such as the new ‘Heart of Khan’, a very useful item for any adventurer.

Khan is not just the namesake of a new item; the Great Expedition also brings a new sea boss. Players familiar with Black Desert Online might have fought the massive leviathan; Vell, but the ocean has a new apex predator. To successfully hunt this behemoth, players will have to use cannons and cooperate well with others.

For more insight into the development of the Great Expedition, read the recently released Developer Note from Pearl Abyss.

These new systems and content are only the first part of the Great Expedition, more additions are planned for the Ocean content of Black Desert Online. The first part of The Great Expedition is set to launch globally on October 23, for more information, check out the Black Desert Online homepage.

*Players can try out the game for free for seven days, or start their adventure with one of three packages.

2. Flixerine

Flixerine Ranger 63 EU

Oh dear, here we go with new ships!

VasilisD likes this.
  3. Murphys Law

breezy sail for fishing boat? and new ocean have new fish?

4. Aikatears

Aikatears Tearslight Ranger 49 NA

Fateneko and OGshine like this.
  5. Navien

Harpoon fishing overhaul maybe to make things a bit more interesting? Also ability to use harpoons on various sailboats maybe?
    Also maybe spicing ocean content up with adding some NPCs with quests to a deserted islands? I wish they added possibility to sail along the western Calpheon/Kamasylvia coast to the Grana inlet. From one side i'm happy that marine content gets some well needed attention, but I'm a bit skeptical, because new gear and ships is just to spend time/resources on and when you're done we end up with nothing to do. As it was previously. We can have even Aircraft carrier tier of ship but what to do with it. Just fish/SMH. Add some nodes to existing barren islands and add some trade materials that are already there waiting to be useful. Like Saffron, Primrose, Blue Rose, Night shade etc. Excavating to the islands.

Mana_Mafia likes this.
  6. chendu

Do you think we'll be able to access the full city of port-ratt with this expansion ? or should we expect it for the new continent update in 5 years or so ?

7. Alterist

Senior Volunteer Moderator

This won't open up Port Ratt.

Mana_Mafia, MMoNoob and Whitrix like this.
  8. chendu

Thanks for the answer ^^
    I'm sad now it's been 3 years and we can only touch it with our eyes from afar U.U

9. Doom Smack

You should totally start 'port ratt when'

Mana_Mafia, MMoNoob and Corrus like this.
  10. chendu

Yeah but 5 years if it will be too much

11. Aikatears

Aikatears Tearslight Ranger 49 NA

Maybe...like I can dream maybe part 2 or whatever update number they wish to continue with for the sea will have the port open that land up...would be nice to travel there for other reasons.

Mana_Mafia and Corrus like this.
  12. Fluffy Himself

I hope we will be able to recycle our boat accessories too...
    It will be a whole new content. I really waited for pirates for a long time. I hope it won't be only trading and bartering... and that ocean content can still be a good income revenue. i don't grind at all, and lifeskill only for crafts i need. The smh money is my only income revenue (and my only real activity).
    Being able to be a full time pirate instead of just killing seamonsters and some newbies out on sea could be great.

Previous sea content was only about FPS & camera lock > all.
    Please try to improve things, not change everything expecting players to waste billions on new boats for a shitty result.

Szalvias likes this.
  13. Corrus

Thanks, looking forward to this Update!

14. chantil

No! We do not want an ocean that kills us! There is enough pain in this game already. How about showing players a little love. BDO wont always be the only game in town and I have reached my limit on painful endeavors just trying to find fun and enjoyment,

Szalvias, Patrik2991 and VasilisD like this.
  15. LeBreezy

As a regular sailor I am very worried that the new update will lead to a very unpleasant experience due to sea monster shortage.

Szalvias and Patrik2991 like this.
  16. Lamda

okay...

Attached Files:

Szalvias likes this.
  17. Patrik2991

Sad.
    History\Journal will work for half year from the next update! You are lame!

18. Szalvias

So, in order to give people ocean content to do, they are nerfing the only reason people do ocean content?
    I'm really excited about the game now! They took the thing I spend all my time doing and made it pointless! Way to go!

19. MMoNoob

will all updates be globally from now on?

20. chendu

Well from what I've seen you can 2 shot an hekaru with the new boat canons so they're balancing things a bit
    but a bit too much for some things 10% of the original amount of coins? that's gonna hit hard