1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Long Term Dmg of AFK

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by 2Cents, Oct 11, 2018.

1. 2Cents

Passive income has created a massive Barrier for new players. Normally catching up is feasible due to the common routines of players. Over a several year period the majority will take breaks, sometimes for months, or drastically lower their play time.

The AFK mechanics mask these down times and allow easy progression for Weeks/Months with very minimal effort. Over time this piles up into massive advantages for simply starting first.

New players today have to do with the fact that nearly anyone that started in the first few months has amassed billions & billions & billions over the months by simply logging in, feeding beer, and doing a few minor activities.

This barrier will never be easy to overcome, and the fact is peoples depiction of just how much people play is completely wrong. This tactic was used to defend Siege Payouts simply claiming all their members played 12+ hours a day and the Payout was naturally just a drop in the bucket. (Pure lies).

The truth is a new player would have a much easier time catching up without this barrier. Any new player investing 6++ hours a day would be gaining ground each day. However, given all the free rewards, stacked on top of passive income, Worker Empires, Payouts, etc it's nearly impossible.

These impacts should be recognized in determining whether Passive/AFK activities are really healthy for the life span of a game.

Ruffe and Blackhearted like this.
  2. Doom Smack

New players can also setup and use that stuff over months/years to come.

You have a point but active playing yields more, or additional, so in the scenario you say they will still gain ground. Just perhaps not as fast as if there was no afk and people were logged out. So I guess its about balance.

Also if afk was removed or nerfed then new players would miss out on having it altogether.

Columba likes this.
  3. Arzurag

I would say, that's fine.
    Those who came earlier, have an advantage over those who started later.
    Though, this doesn't matter because the time, resources and effort that you need to progress (getting gear) in this game is exponentially.
    That means, one spends the most on thr very last steps. Something you can catch up to pretty quickly.
    It's like the leveling process.

Souda, Columba and Mana_Mafia like this.
  4. 2Cents

It doesn't work that way due to Renown and their Poor math calculations. You can have 90% of your opponents gear score and be completely ineffective.

Ruffe and Blackhearted like this.
  5. They are already phasing out major afk money generators in favor over more active lifeskilling. This will be even more evident come mastery.

Soon you will only stay logged in afk just to let your workers keep working and what you do in that fully afk time will be negligible compared to what you can do when back to active.

6. MalGuldur

I played since release and i keep droping back to full pri so i dont have any major advantage, i fail as much.i take a month or two restoring my gear every roulette.Im at one pen after failing 5 roulettes.

Ruffe likes this.
  7. 2Cents

In many aspects that would just become Pay2AFK. Since all the weight upgrades along with pulling from your Warehouse can last a significant amount of time. Overall, I didn't get the impression they wanted to lower the value of purely AFK activities. The fishing revamp is tbd as it may increase/decrease depending on the situation.

The Mastery also seems very questionable and not for everyone. Due to the investment/requirements to really make it effective it seems like want only a few people to specialize in it. If that's the case it's really a shame.

Ruffe likes this.
  8. 2Cents

Nothing to see here!!!

Ruffe and WhySoSeeryus like this.
  9. Schinrah

You forget something important, who wants to play this PoS game actively anymore? I had so much fun in this game until May when they began their crusade to take a dump on every player still enjoying it.
    "Hey gyse, lissen lissen, we got super smaht idea, RenownScore" "U nau get rewarded for herpy derpy AP only spec, forget all dat accuracy hybrid shizzle tis too complicated anyhau!"
    "Hey gyse, lissen lissen, we have another gr8 idea, we gonna take a massive dump on PvP mechanics to make sure it's slower, less difficult, less rewarding and only focuses on RNS nau!!!"
    That basically made me stop playing actively, the only thing that kept me playing were my guildies and nodewars with them still being somewhat fun despite the stupid changes, also made me quit the Valk right there, eventho I immensely enjoyed lvl'ing her up slowly and figuring out how to move with her. They took that class and lobotomized her, now it's an ult bot with some utility to make it useful in wars, but boring AF to play.

But, now? They start to even screw over the semi-afk progression forcing you to grind and or spent even more money to make progress that way. Honestly, the main reason people still linger is being able do minor afk progression and because alot of us just have invested so much money into the game already we feel somewhat reluctant to step away. Well, and ofc there not really being a compareable game around, despite all the BS they did to BDO's combat, it's still miles more fun than what other games provide.

I'm convinced if there was no afk progression people wouldn't linger and mby come back, but ouright quit. If there was any compareable game out there without all the greed, BDO would already rest in a shallow grave, but they feed of off the lack of proper competition and better options.

#9 Schinrah, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  10. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Snores, it's one of those days when @2Cents care about new players.

The other days he cries about catchup mechanics and how they threaten his vet player privilege of griefing newbies.

Ghoast_ likes this.
  11. Souljester

Souljester Sorceress 62 NA

Well, you have a point but you also need to remember that soft capt is still presenting the same limitations to a new player as well as an old player. (Here, replace softcap with end game gear).

There is a finite amount available for purchase and each player can only have 1 preorder up at a time... and while us old school players have amassed billions
    .. most spent it to gear up. While SMH might have given additional billions to a considerable percentage of the population, the silver sink and single pre-order will prevent them from buying everything.

Moreover, a new player starting out, with a knowledgeable veteran as a guide can fairly easily catch up to that herd of maniacs within a year of starting. If said newbie is lucky, within 6 months. (I helped a friend setup his workers and cyclical passive income as well as partial afk crafting and that is how long it took him to get to almost full softcap. He's missing a tri tungrad earring and a tri basi belt... but he has the money for either... he just considering con stoning his tet dandy up to see if he could get it before me).

Like I said he got very lucky.... within the first month he had 63 out of 72 orange workers, the rest being yellow.... and he got lucky on the worker skills.... not jealous but I've been playing since the start and I don't have that....

I just started setting up another of my friends with a similar setup... so if it takes him about the same time to get there...

Anyways, the limitations put on the MP; max price, 1 pre-order, random bid sniping.. give newcomers a decent chance to compete with veteran players... it just requires guidance and determination to do so

12. Josh28

As a new player who brought friends over, we found getting to soft cap relatively easy. Sure, we had to farm for months, quest, boss hunt, grind, craft like crazy, but the TRUE GAP is after soft cap. To get gear or pvp players beyond soft cap is painfully frustrating or downright nearly impossible unless you get massive payouts or somehow make billions a week with lifeskill according to people...
    Pa solution for this was renown and events to inject items instead of increasing the drop rate of accessories... The major problem is the lack of items and materials in this game. To get boss gear, one has to farm the item's price and multiply it by 10 to make a pre-order, then struggle enchanting without the money you just wasted on a pre-order. Snipe items, you say? I spent so many hours in the marketplace that I dreamt of it! No wonder people got bots for it...
    For a game that is mostly afk activities and hardly anyone grinds, so the drop rate of important items is poop. (they also fcked up bosses) Instead, Pa adds more RNG loot, boxes and casual events like shitaku that shows amazing items but it just makes everyone cry and regrets they logged for a whole month.

13. 2Cents

Your example may be accurate, but it demonstrates a lot of flaws. A player can get to a competitive level actively playing for a year, but most players simply won't tolerate that. Some of that is on the developers the rest on the mentality of today's player base. One thing they should have done was equalize of sieges/nodes to some extent.

14. 2Cents

I have multiple sets of Boss Gear. Most of it came from the Night Vendor. If you utilizing energy effectively from alts at the Night Vendor it's just a waiting game. Given they have been playing for months that shouldn't be an issue. You simply need approx 500M Silver to ensure you can afford max pricing. That amount isn't that much in the current meta.

Naturally, that would be base +0 gear, but getting that to TRI+ is what the game is really about.
    If they are going to wait for others to hand it over via the market, that's on them.

Ruffe likes this.
  15. Schinrah

Fact is the RNG in this game is just too much. I have guildies that started playing the game 6 month ago sitting at softcap, meanwhile I didn't gain anything in those 6month not being softcap. Did I blow my gear and roulette? No. Did I not prepare enhancement sessions proper? No. Did I fail 80 crescents, and 3xx witches with the expectation that I'd at least get one TET out of that total? Yes.

I really have to hold back sometimes when I hear guildmates talk about how they can't get a stack >70 because their TET's pop so early. Out of my entire gear + backups, I got TET on 2 occasions below 70, the rest however did not turn TET <100 FS, still remember my Kutum at 118 (which was the 2nd stack, stopped the first at 100 started over from 60) or my DT that I dumbly clicked on 136 FS out of pure desperation.

It really makes you want to pull your hair out when you carefully prepare, hoard money and think "that should be enough" but end up with 0 gains. Especially because there will always be people around who get that TET ogre onetapped, or their PEN dande on a click etc. I'm not a master in making silver in this game, it takes me a while to gather up enough resources but I try to be patient and make sure it's enough, and then the game slaps you in your face and the next day PA nerfs afk fishing just to drive that dagger in abit deeper :)

16. 2Cents

You should uphold mathematics over anyone's opinion or stories.
    It's the only pure and untainted truth.

One tapping or success at lower rates is nearly meaningless in the big picture. Mathematically, no one is getting to end game gear without going through the struggles. Especially if you put PEN enchanting into the equation.

The probability distribution will level out in nearly every single case, despite people's biased and faulty information.

17. Spartakatz

Every decent item gets preordered now for between 15-25 billion. Do you really think people made that in the first 1-2 years with AFK activities? No way. Active stuff like siege, seamonsters, high end grind or even fishing now gives far more, the AFK stuff got less and less important over time. It's a nice bonus though if you maximize. But a new player who goes hardcore can easily catch up very fast.

18. 2Cents

You are over simplifying the issue and not giving it the full credibility it deserves. These funds are in addition to the players activities. In many cases over 50% of the total income may be from passive. You can gain over 3 Billion in that time from just selling the Energy Potions without any boosts. If your fishing daily and utilizing a worker empire the gains are enough to make a real difference.

Even Payouts borderline on Passive Income. Many members gained billions for Sieges that didn't even happen not to mention the ratio has always been broken. The players where quite simply to stupid to know what's best for them. The same people arguing they are fine, would be the same people to complain about Gear Score disparity and not being able to keep up.

Ruffe likes this.
  19. Schinrah

Well, you are correct in that. The main problem, however, is that on a per player basis the amount of attempts to upgrade gear isn't really large enough to even out for everyone.
    I'm relying on my own observations and experience. Even in my guild (which is a small one) there quite a number of guys that need significantly less resources to upgrade, a onetapped PEN dande a TET basi out of a Shak box, that kind of luck is literally worth billions of silver. And most people do not truly aim for full PEN, 261-269 AP. That is the goal for most, and difference in silver required to reach that on a player by player basis is gigantic.
    Sure, my RNG might even out when I go for full PEN, the problem is will never do that, just like most other players.

20. Spartakatz

No you couldn't get 3 billion in that time. You are trying to use the current situation and apply it retroactively to the first 2 years of the game, that's not how it works. There was no kamasylve buff, people had no 500+ energy.
    I fished daily and have a worker empire, and see people who play a couple of months very actively, catching up extremely fast. I also sell energy pots, because no use for NV anymore and don't want to gather. It's just a small bonus, but nothing with a big impact.

Ghoast_ likes this.