1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There are NO Catch-Up Mechanics

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by wts, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Reizar

The difference between fresh newbie and 520 gearscore, which is reasonable to get playing seasonal, and with the other "freebies" tossed the way of newer players is that at the old "normal" pace of the game, with no catchup mechanics, that would have taken years.

The "freebies" are almost all universally useless to 600gs players or provide little to no boost in gear while they propell you to be able to grind most areas in the game rather quickly, thus "catching up".

MMOs always have a power creep. I think the catchup made possible by freebies and seasonal provide a compelling reason to start the game as a new player, while still offering some useability to older players, definately being far more useful to newbies than to veterans.

It is really just there to open the content rather quickly to new players, rather than have them grind Helms, Rogues and Nagas for half a year before attempting to go for Crescents, or Manchaums, or if they were really pushing it, Aakman

And as people say, meta classes or even skilled players can make up a lot of the gs purely by outplaying in pvp.

Not too many catchups for gathering and lifeskills besides manos though,
    Energy hardcaps your materials :c
    ( #HQWINEGATE)

reconkangas and AZzalor like this.
  2. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

The best catch-up mechanic for rng based progression games has always been trade.
    Here in BDO the only catch-up mechanic is your wallet. If they allowed all pearl items to be listed, then it would have a decent path for catching up from newbies.

Jinoro likes this.
  3. Polyedra

Polyedra Polyedra Shai 61 EU

I think seasons are a catch up mechanic. But it doesn't go all the way, it just gives you a foundation to work from.
    "Catching up" I want to define as: "Making it to the crowd." Not as: "Making it to the lead."

4. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

Exactly. In a MMORPG, there's always a top "1%", but most of the players won't reach this point. These are the ones a new player should aim at, to begin with. Only after he reached this spot, should he aim for the latest steps.

At the end of the season, we'll have new players around the "TRI equipment - TET weapons" threshold, more or less, and there is no hard rule saying that a player will only meet a 600+ GS player on a grind spot. He will meet many players, different gears, but yes if he decides to go on a spot with higher benefits he will meet stronger players. Obviously. The stronger player will choose the best spot for him, and if he seems to be a little overgeared for a spot, don't forget that he himself may have been kicked from another spot earlier. ^^

But what I mean is, the argument "you need 600 GS to be relevant in pvp, so the catch-up is not enough" is wrong, . Totally. Because season makes it easier to have a good basis to grind, if you meet 650+ GS players you will not be relevant, that's also obvious, but if you meet somebody who has around the same GS as you, you can be relevant.

And some players seems to think that they should always grind at the spots with the best benefits. You can. But you also have to keep in mind that you may have to fight for it, or even decide to go on another less lucrative spot to quietly grind.

Polyedra and AZzalor like this.
  5. Menor

You never "make it to the lead" with catch up mechanics, not in single game. Problem with BDO is its absolutly awfull TTK.
    Person in full TET gets 1cc - 1 combo/half combo to the face by dude with 3-4PENs. Full DUO/TRI gets 1 skilled by such person.
    Gear difference in this game is gigantic compared to other games where, examplary: newb in full Tuvala would already stand a minor chance vs full PEN player.
    Another thing is how unrewarding and uninteresting BDO is to, I think most, new players in long run.
    Especialy if new player encountered one of the "vets" on their way and tasted what high gear does, compared to their own equipement.
    Even Peace in Chaos friend, who had support of 3 vets who had experience and some degree of nolife in the game and tons of adivce for him how to progress, wich sped up his own progression by a ton, had a moment of burn out as Peace in Chaos stated himself. This friend of his got words of support and kept going but most new players would drop the game at that point to never return.

#225 Menor, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  6. MADE

That's not true, you can get into the lead in wow if you really wish to.
    In gw2 it's not hard either.

Only in KR grinders, where "content = years worth of endless grind for gear" is hard to catch up due to if it wouldn't be that way, then there would be no point in playing the game in the first place.

Jinoro and Fearless V like this.
  7. FairlyEnjoyable

FairlyEnjoyable Lahn 62 NA

:D If you think there's no catch-up mechanics now, I'd hate to see what you thought of the game several years back!

8. Menor

Make full Legendary armor and weapons in GW2 in less than a month as new player without contants.
    Same in WoW. I dont think any real % of players can achive it.
    About Your korean games argument, I agree. Still I dont accept it in any way, even though I played 2 in my lifetime. Silkroad and BDO.

9. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

I think this depends mostly on the mindset of a player. If you are unable to handle defeat, then this gear difference can definitly scare off some players. On the other hand i know some others including myself, that get stomped by such players but instead of being frustrated over it, it shows the way we still have to go and motivates to work for it. When i duel my friends i never want them to gear down because it will just make fights be kind of fake and you will not learn a lot if you only fight similar geared or lower geared people. Only if you fight the higher geared ones where a single mistake means your death, you will actually become better.
    Just 2 days ago i was fighting a guildmate succ wizard (680gs) and even tho he was nearly 90gs above me, i still managed to win 1/5th of the fights.

FairlyEnjoyable likes this.
  10. Sadalsuud

Sadalsuud Tamer 62 EU

Same goes for the current RBF : when I go there I know that I will encounter many well geared players, but I'll appreciate every second before my character dies!
    :D

FairlyEnjoyable and AZzalor like this.
  11. Rügenwalder Pommersche

exactly this, i was in tons of guilds and i have met so many people "changing" rules for ba etc.
    "no grabs" being a very common one - well how do u learn to play against it then?

people die few times, get frustrated or mad and just leave instantly. Obv ur not gonna improve your gameplay like that. Every fight will reward u experience, its up to the player to learn from it.

HucKa, FairlyEnjoyable and AZzalor like this.
  12. Boink

It wouldn't be fair to apply every result with your friend. There are players that literally have 300+ failstacks before they hit their first Pen.

Since this game involves a lot of RNG & $$$$. Since you don't have access to how much the player spent nor I have time to verify how much he spent by asking. Let us assume and manage to experience one of the best streaks in game. I had a similar experience when I one-shot most of my Tungrad Pieces to TET in one month. The bell curve (i"m not a scientist) can explain all of it.

[​IMG]

This explains values like why you more likely want to double down on 11 on blackjack especially if the dealer has a 5 or a 6 face up value hands. Just have to change low performers / high performers with results :)

I think the best way to explain Seasonal is it gives players the highest chance for progression in a limited time compare to regular play. Because your friend assuming he didn't whale his way through 281 is probably in the echelons of above average results in-game, which is a very small % of players.

Now if you gladly ask your friend to post his spending habits here that be great :)

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  13. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

It is true that nothing in this game is 100% guaranteed, but if you offer new and returning players the ability to get to a certain point with a way higher and faster progression than without it, that is by definition a catch-up mechanic.

FairlyEnjoyable likes this.
  14. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

I preferred it.

Polyedra likes this.
  15. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

I don't think he whaled. I'm not trying to compare or say everyone's progress will be like my friend, just trying to say that he did it. Post season 1 until this day, he remains hungry for gains and really puts in the work. Got both his infinite pots completed, and followed advice to invest in boss gear pieces ranging in enhancement levels and start an "enhancing empire" :p I know he had really bad luck on tet accessories, eventually enhanced a tet narc and laytenn. Not sure if he whaled, but I do know he played the game pretty efficiently by taking advice. Plus he's in an addicted phase, so couple that with seasons and their rewards, it's not surprising to me to see his gains.

FairlyEnjoyable and AZzalor like this.
  16. apatia77

Yes, season servers and all them equivalent to TET gold accessories items each season are a nice catch up but only to softcap. The gear gap between softcap and end game is so big that you will never be able to catch up.

Softcap gear set is equivalent to about 20-30BIL, where end game gear is worth around 150-200BIL or more. Good luck catching anyone up with softcap gear.

Jinoro, MoonDance17 and PeaceInChaos like this.
  17. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

That is simply wrong. It is easier than ever to catch up and i know quite a few myself who did that (without any significant amount of money spent).
    But ofc you still gotta put in a lot of work.

FairlyEnjoyable and PeaceInChaos like this.
  18. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

A lot of work?
    A game is meant to be fun not work!
    Now what I guess you meant is that one needs to play a lot while having fun to progress.

Reyer, Jinoro and cald123 like this.
  19. Boink

My point is that the values are not guaranteed and they deal with a % that is highly in house favor. Again I'm sure there are a lot that benefits from a "higher" playing percentage than normal but some players even including myself will have a hard time progressing with the percentages they give.

I'm sure it's designed that way for a maximum chance that the player in question gets frustrated so they can swipe to cron PEN Tuvala. Again Seasonal Servers are their way to showcase better Quarter Financial Reports.

This game is notorious with people that want to flaunt their successes while they whale hardcore on the sideline. It gives them some false sense of superiority. Simple questions like asking to post their expenditures will make them look like a fraud and more likely decline once challenged. Unless of course, they have nothing to hide.

It reminds me of the time when I ask a financial advisor how much money he has in the bank. If he is that knowledgeable with money, he has nothing to hide, right?

HucKa and Jinoro like this.
  20. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Then they failed miserably with me and no doubt with many others. The only crons I used were the free ones. They ran out, I stopped enhancing tuvala.