1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things wrong with Black Desert Online

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by BaekJa, Aug 21, 2018.

1. BaekJa

Hello everyone, I am not usually active at all on the forums but I figure because I really love this game and want to see it grow that I'd put in my thoughts on the current state of Black Desert Online and why I believe that if the trend continues. We will see BDO in a massive decline at a rapid rate. I've been playing BDO since 2016, I am the GM of Snake and this is going to be a very long thread.

So, lets start off with the first topic; New Players!
    There is a misconception that "new players now have it easier in BDO than before." To be honest, I do not believe this is true at all and I personally believe that new players have it harder now than ever before due to many reasons such as; inflation, empty markets and just the fact that the game is closing in to 3 years old thus creating this massive gear gap.

Veterans might disagree and add in "New Players earn this and that now from the attendance rewards" yes but the point is, you get them as well. So really it helps both you and the new players. So, its not a catch up mechanic at all. The definition of catch up is to "succeed in reaching a person who is ahead of one."

There is no catch up mechanics in BDO. Everything that has been added such as Capotia Ring is something that you can get as well. So, it doesn't help get new players closer to the gear curve which is something that new players want to do just to be competitive. Pearl Abyss also added a chance for players to earn Pri / Duo accessories from drop which again, is a new update that benefits you as well.

In fact, I would argue it benefits you more than the new players since you could grind faster thus increasing the chances of obtaining said Pri / Duo accessories more often than new players thus creating an even bigger gear curve that doesn't help new players at all.

I would argue even further to say it really REALLY benefits you more than the new players by saying that you could benefit from it more so since you could also compete and hold your rotation in the Arsha servers which will help you obtain drops 50% higher drops than regular servers.

I would also argue even further than that by saying it actually really REALLY, REALLY benefits veterans that are at the top 1% more than new players especially with the new updates! Guilds who owns the castle could earn a higher percentage of drop in the region that they control thus increasing the chances of obtaining said Pri / Duo accessories more often than new players thus creating a even bigger gear curve that doesn't help new players nor motivate them to try to catch up thus leading them to quitting the game.

So, lets start the 2nd topic; Competitive!

New players want to be competitive. No one likes getting one shot especially by players from Snake! Its unhealthy for the game because it leads to new players simply quitting. I believe that Pearl Abyss knows this is a concern. Hence why they add in the penalty of killing new players as much as -150K Karma.

Playing this game for new players is not as fun due to the massive gear gap between new and veteran due to the game closing in 3 years of age. Back when I started playing in 2016, I was gearing up just like everyone else. So even though I was new and had crap gear, I was still able to PvP and be competitive because everyone else was new and had crap gear. This made playing the game fun and gearing up to be a motivation. New players coming into this game NOW, will have to gear up and remain noncompetitive for as long as a year because everyone else is already geared to the teeth. Geared to the ****ing teeth.

A year later, a friend of mine join Black Desert Online. He was a year late, however it was still fine with him because he could still somewhat fight players since the soft cap back then was full tri boss gear and full pri accessories. So, it was something that he sees as

"reachable in a reasonable amount of time"

Now, new players coming into the game do not see it as "reachable in a reasonable amount of time" The softcap now is full tet boss gear and full tri gold accessories which honestly takes awhile to obtain. Heck, you could join Snake or ManUp at that time if you had that gear a year ago! Even if you were bad.

So, new players will have to reach soft cap with the "empty market place" and honestly, if I started playing this game at this time. I wouldn't even bother and I wouldn't blame your new friends from quitting this game. Its just not worth spending $500+ and spending a year grinding just to be competitive. And in a year from now, the top players will be somewhere else so you honestly, can never catch up.

So, lets start the 3rd topic; Empty Market Place!

So, the market place is empty. How can new players reach the soft cap if the market place is empty? and preorder price is 5x more than it was couple months ago? I had a friend who came back recently and she had 2 billion silver, it put her at the top of wealth in the Olvia server.

Due to the preorder price being 5x more, new players cannot obtain gear unless they get extremely lucky via the bid system. Not only do they grind much slower than veterans which leads to less silver per hour, but the preorder price is now 5x more so you really can't obtain any gear.

The free market is going to make it a lot worse.

Back when I played this game, everything was abundant. Even sharps and hards. You could honestly buy them at the lowest price. You could grind, buy sharps and hards. EASY LIFE!

Can't do that anymore, so you expect new players to grind at Helms with their crappy 100 AP making like 5-10m an hour just so they could preorder one Sharp for 10-15m? One sharp? Back then I could grind for one hour at pirates and made 20m and buy 8 sharps.

Oh great idea, tell them to do some gathering with their 50-150 energy. YEP great job, problem solves.

This game is honestly dying.

TO BE CONTINUED...

This is what we were obtaining a year ago! This game is awesome!

[​IMG]

2. Kn0xxPT

Kn0xxPT Striker 62 EU

Marketplace. has 2 problems now.
    1: Billionares preorders.
    2: Marketplace insta-buy hackers. ( with SMH situation, people forgot about those ), maybe the new MP will solve some problems.

Ziker likes this.
  3. LikesItRuff

I 100% agree

The game is honestly at a fork in the road go right and fix the game or go left and the game will never recover. Don't get me wrong i love BDO and have played it since beta but the choices that have been made are crazy and the economy is TERRIBLE right now.

I agree newer players are at a massive disadvantage- older players have a node empire setup cash shop items gained over time and newer players are honestly either forced to spend hundreds if not thousands just to get the coal in the burner on the this train we call bdo. Fact is it would take months alone for a decent node empire to be set up and with every patch they are making siege guilds stronger and stronger. One of the recent patches gave valencia castle owners 50% more drops in there area- So a siege guild with 570+ ap GS's are getting 50% drop from being in the guild, 50% from arsha- 20% from the kama buff- 0-20% from the monster knowledge and if they add a item drop rate buff that's more.

The gap between new players and those who started a year+ ago is far to wide.

Blackhearted, Fearless V and Ziker like this.
  4. Feyti

This is a well written way to show what is Black Desert Online.

This is what you get when you refuse to "follow" expansions game models like wow and others that make old gear irrelevant. It becomes impossible for new players to catch up to old ones. Unless you create new separate servers from time to time where everyone need to start anew. (that would be fun)

A friend of mine started recently when I myself came back not that long ago from years of absence. We sadly see the "end game" pvp as completely inaccessible and we know we sadly don't play for that. Because we will never reach it. We play cause the game looks good and grinding as a nice feeling with gorgeous animations.

But PVP? lol, aint gonna happen.

Fearless V likes this.
  5. Thelemna

Thelemna Softspoken Tamer 63 NA

A well written concern post. I stopped trying to get friends from my old game to join me about 6 months into this game, and both PA and Kakao’s actions since then have only added to my reasoning. Some did try, but quickly fell off in a few months despite playing with me for longer than this game has been in NA.

6. LikesItRuff

PvP is a joke- i'm in the mid 500's gear score wise and its honestly whoever hits who first wins. Sieges and node wars are not even worth it because you just get lagged into oblivion lol

7. LightsOut

@BaekJa Good thread. However as someone who has been fighting this battle for a long time here on forums, tickets, twitter, facebook and what not, I can tell you that Kakao hasn't got the power to influence the game as much as we'd like to see.

The only thing that ever got PA's attention was the big NA protest a while ago. We then got softer and let them get away with promises of balance and communication. Which as you know never came. I'd argue it became worse.

Time for a new strike is coming, and this time we shouldn't back down that easily. The game doesn't need much work to become great again, but it needs to start by listening to EU/NA and taking into account average player's problems and concerns.

8. Alcathoe Noctis

I bought some sharp stones yesterday without bidding and without pre-order. 5 min 7 sharps. Be patient and you may buy duo crescent or duo basi for example. Not every gear goes in pre-order except PEN.

Softcap in 2017 was tet gear. What are you talking? I play since start and got my softcap this spring 'as veteran'. I was full tri boss whole 2017 and had no problem fighting better geared player. Now with renown it's little bit harder but still possible.

If you get gear, lv and skill points easier, also possible to get skill points afk, it's an catch up. Your point of every one gets free gear so it's no catch up is flawed. Tried get tet gold acc? Start blow up 5 tri crescent in a row than you might understand how soft cap gear is the whole gear catch up. Not everybody oneshots tet acc. So while I smash many tri crescent, a newbie may come near soft cap. He may progress while I do 3 months no progress. That's no catch up? Right...

You talk about the 1% of the best geared people and sell it as it suits to the common veteran.

Not everybody does see hunting. Not everybody does siege/node wars.

Stop exaggerate please. And stop posting threads like this and start grind or craft something. While you discuss there is no catch up, lab is testing even faster lv to 61 and above... NO CATCH UP!

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  9. Olympia

1.3b lol ! what a shitty guild is this

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

@BaekJa

[​IMG]

10. AlnilamE

This is a build made entirely of stuff you get in the game for free (pre-Valencia/Kama):

https://bdoplanner.com/SpiderBankLost

Which is perfectly capable of grinding in Mediah (though I would replace the offhand with something bought in the MP). Before then, grinding through Calpheon throws Loure's set at you along with the Treant accessories. And the quest items you get, like Amerigo's shoes, etc. All that means that a new player doesn't have to worry about any gear below these stats and therefore they can save a ton of silver and black stones for when they get the stuff they really need to work on.

None of this is useful to veteran players.

You also get a lot more rewards for doing the lower level quests than you did when the game first came out. Once you are past that level of efficiency, that's not useful (to veterans).

So these are catch-up mechanics. Are they enough? Should the game give you a full TRI boss set when you hit 58? What about if it's Red Nose/Giath/Muskan?

If you think the catch up mechanics are not good enough, what *would* be good enough? How many hours should someone have to actively play to get to softcap?

I don't PvP, so I can't comment. But I think you underestimate how hard it is to progress after you get to a certain gear point.

There was a very short period of time where shards were available in the Marketplace, and that was when they were priced much higher than they are now (and that was also before the server merge, I think). I'm really not sure what the free market stuff is going to do to the game. We'll see. But if I can get what I want out of the MP when I put my mind to it, when I have very little patience to camp it at all, then I believe anyone else can as well.

AZzalor likes this.
  11. AZzalor

AZzalor Hyneria Maehwa EU

It doesn't matter what you believe or not, it is a FACT that new players have it easier than ever.
    The market has always been empty and important items have always been rare on it, nothing new.
    Silver now is easier to gain then ever (even for new players), but the marketplace prices are the same for over a year now, which results in higher preorders.
    While saying that there is a 3 year gear gap between vets and new players, you are wrong. You can basically fully disregard the first year of the game, as what you did in that one year as a veteran, every new player can do now in ONE DAY.
    Also, the game (at least in EU/NA) is only a bit more than 2 years out, so realistically it is only one year old with the system and content as we know it today.

New players get much more than the attendance rewards:
    1. New player rewards: 2 weeks of value pack, t5 horse, different enhancing materials and generally money, also one free pet...everything just for being a new player.
    2. Olvia servers. ONE MONTH of nearly uncontested growth and time to get everything ready for the real servers.
    3. Millions of silver from just doing the storyline with the newly added 1mil goldbar rewards. You will end up with a nice amount of money just from doing a few quests and this will allow for a smooth and quick start.
    4. Black Abyssal weapon, roaring armor, the newly added pri green equivalent awakening weapon (forgot the name)...you can basic gear to be able to grind in valencia spots just from doing a few quests.
    Sooooo...withing a few days playing this game, new players will have a char ready with 350-400gs and can be ready to explore the world.

What is holding back most new players is knowledge. If you know what you're doing, you can be 500gs easily withing a month.

It seems like you think that upgrading has linear costs...surprise, it doesn't.
    While a new player only needs a few 100 million to get to 500+gs, a veteran needs easily 10billion+ to only get a small upgrade of 3 ap.

Getting to softcap (if you know what you're doing and play a lot) will take you 3-6 months depending on your rng. Once you hit softcap, you will be able to fight everyone, even people above softcap.
    Again, what's holding back people is constant rerolling, inefficient grinding and only playing this game casually...do you really expect that you will catch up to people who played this game for over a year by playing 1-2h/day?
    If you answer "yes" to that, then that is pure lazyness.

how does me getting a crescend ring from a reward box to grind faster?
    Vets will be at softcap or above, getting those extra rewards will benefit them basically not at all, as they are at a point where getting only a little bit of increased gearscore will cost 5-10bil, while a new player can get with that kind of money nearly full tet bossgear.

That is true, IF you can grind without interruption, but this will never happen. I guess you never were on Arsha, as you would know that instead of grinding, half the time you spend doing pvp. The 50% droprate buff is mainly compensating for your time pvping. But then again it is a risk vs reward server.

Yes, that is definitly true, but then again. For those players to get an upgrade of like 3ap, you can get to softcap in the same time.
    And now is your chance. Seamonster hunting is a pretty accessable feature for ALL players and will make you more money (if done right and in a decent guild) than siege guilds will make by grinding. YOUR chance to catch up easily and with less effort.

It is indeed a problem that new players can't be competitive, but this game is NOT a competitive pvp game. You can already participate within a few weeks in t1 nodewars with 450gs which you can easily achieve.
    But let me tell you a secret, even with high gear the gameplay is not different...you will be oneshotted...actually you will be oneshotted quicker compared to what you see at your average grindspot.

Again, the timespan you name is totally wrong. This game is only in its current state for barely a year as everything before that can be totally ignored. All the progression done before you can do now in ONE DAY.
    And you definitly do not need a year to be competitive. I have a friend who joined me in this game about 4 months ago. I tought him the ways of playing and making money in this game and now he is only 2 tri tungrads and 1 tri ogre away from softcap.

I think you don't understand WHY the marketplace is empty now (even tho it was already empty before)
    Making silver nowadays is easier than ever, but the prices stayed the same over all that time.
    What happens when there is more and more silver? Right, people have more money to spend on upgrades or the materials used for it. At the same time, important ressources needed are in higher demand than ever and at the same time do not have a value increase. Why would people sell those items when they don't get money out of it...
    Bossgear for 95m where you will only see 80 mil (with a vp) from it? I'd rather slap it on my alt chars and have a bit of fun with them than selling it for this little bit of money which will barely make me progress.

If we would have the true value for those items, more people would actually sell them.

There is not gonna be a free market. The buy/sell system will be different, but items still will only be possible to be listed within a predetermined pricerange.

Luxea, Joungf, Valient and 2 others like this.
  12. Arreyanne

Arreyanne Lahn 59 NA

The red bold part is all I want to comment about.

The items won't sell more often, they will just be listed at an exorbitant price that inflates your ego.

"WOW LOOK WHAT I LISTED MY TRI ZARKA FOR. BOY AM I LEET"

The only people that will be purchasing that inflated ego listing are the same people that are pre-ordering things for 5 billion now.

The problem with the market place is it doesnt make you all fuzzy inside when you cant list that orge ring from the log in rewards for 10 billion like you want.

RageAgainst likes this.
  13. Despacito2

Agree with the rest but this is bull5h1t at max exponent. Not true, stop giving hope to new players. They have it easier but not to this point you are claiming.

Feyti, Dreadhood and Blackhearted like this.
  14. KhalidIbnWaalid

99% of my friends and old guild members have quit bdo after the renown and cc changes. Most of us felt like it doesnt matter how hard we catch up in terms of pvp, we will always be behind in gear except when youre rng carrier.

It took me a year to get softcap and even then you get oneshot by a 270+ player. Its so demotivating when the differnce of 20 or 30 ap/ renown is so huge when duelling.

This is a great post.

#14 KhalidIbnWaalid, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Iroha, Thelemna, Souda and 2 others like this.
  15. 2Cents

This isn't an issue at all........ You just need to look at it through Pearl Abyss's ingenious idea (with a minor flaw)

You where supposed to pay for the honor of owning that castle. You where supposed to buy artisan's non stop, have a value pack running on top of your kama buffs. You're credit card should be on file ready for the moment that next pearl shop update is released.

Turns out World of Warcraft's, FF, and POE's content model is actually a better long term solution, who knew? I did.

Jonnyyy, Malfurion and Despacito2 like this.
  16. Pohjantikka

EU/ NA players seriously needs to start another RIOT to make any changes in BDO

RageAgainst likes this.
  17. Reigne Irkalla

I disagree.

The biggest issue with the game is lack of content and whiners who are determined to sprint through a marathon.

It's relatively cheap to catch up, if players are actually determined to do so. No, they won't have boss gear right away, but they can easily afford TRI green gear off the marketplace, or enhance it themselves, they can quest/grind for free serviceable accessories... and all of that is just the first week. They can do Rift if they really need the cash. If they really need blackstones and sharps and hards, there are quests for that.

The. Methods. Are. There.

The braincells, however..... the gumption. The determination. The will. Those assets are lacking.

Smileybones, AZzalor and Issiana like this.
  18. 2Cents

Sorry, but it's not worth the effort for any new players to bother to be honest. It's to easy to exploit your way to the top and most won't find any reward when getting there anyway.

BDO is best played as a casual or not at all. Just enjoy the starter zones / PVE and then quit.

Jonnyyy, RageAgainst and Fearless V like this.
  19. Reigne Irkalla

As I said, it is a marathon, not a sprint.

If you want to sprint, go play GW2.

Smileybones and AZzalor like this.
  20. AZzalor

AZzalor Hyneria Maehwa EU

Dude you can easily get there in a month...not bossgear, but normal gear.
    My friend itself did it. I explained him how to play this game and within one month he was 506gs.