1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About The Year 3 Census

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Prochilles, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Prochilles

So, the only thing I've cared about on the census was who has gained the most silver and what amount had they achieved. Last year we saw 30-55bil in the top spots, but on the next sheet we'll likely see well over 100bil.

However, this time around there won't be any bragging rights to the top spots. It's not skill that will have put these players in the ranks, it is time. Specifically the amount of time players can actively dump into mundanely hunting sea monsters.

For me, this entire game was based around learning to generate wealth, namely from methods that required thought and planning, not hours grinding away. My version of PvP wasn't just fighting it was competing with others to see who could accumulated the most silver, but I'm trying to think of a way this matters now.

We are officially screwed right now. The silver gained from certain guilds, which equate to roughly 500mil per day for T10 payouts, will now forever be in the game.

Imagine this amount of silver and enhancing. Imagine having 1bil and enhancing green accessories, this is roughly the same ratio as enhancing gold accessories with Sea monsters silver.

This isn't a hate post it is just a thinking post. I'min the process of building a sailboat and I keep thinking of how cheap this silver grind is. I've finally managed to accumulate 10b from crazy hard grinding/lifeskilling/sacrificing/patience and if I start hunting season monsters that silver is devalued. That achievement is devalued.

But on the other hand I could simply not do Sea monsters and very quickly become completely irellevant in gear etc. cause there is nothing that can compete with this grind and the longer it stays in the game the greater the distance between those who run sea monsters and those who don't. How can the devs fix this?

They could increase all other silver methods to be somewhat competitive withsea monsters, but that of course would mean increasing the costs of the items in the market, which means my 10b stored becomes less valuable.

Devs could ban all the players who've earned this silver, but that wouldnt be right, cause this isn't an exploit, it is something the devs are well aware of and even decided to buff.

Im tryin to stay positive, lol,but damn how does this not just officially screw the entire game up.

#1 Prochilles, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  2. Dremlock

i mean ya these huge influx of seamonster money may have ****ed up the economy and pvp through gear disparity, but a lot of ppl don't play bdo for the pvp

also haven't we gone through similar occurances in the past where certain groups got huge influxes of money which people considered to be game-breaking? There was like some fishing exploit which i'm sure everyone wasn't banned. there was the black stone digging exploit. siege guild payouts have kept them ahead for a long time.

I bet there's a bunch of other stuff too

Draconnix likes this.
  3. Life Aries

Silver inflation has extended well beyond just high-ticket jewelry items at this point. Hards had a pre-order of 5m (NA) that was consistent for at least 24 hours yesterday. At a certain point, players who aren't collecting payouts are going to have to strongly weigh the opportunity cost of using grinding as a payment source when compared to life skillers who can spend an equal time active gathering. If acquiring 2-3 hards in an hour of gathering saves you 15m on Hard pre-orders, you might make more money selling what you gathered on MP.

4. AlwaysSaltyAF

Just build an epheria and get into sea monster hunting a few hours a week. Treat it like a daily quest. Really no big deal at all if you just want to do it casually. My wife works 50-60hours a week and can still manage to hit our t10 requirement, attend a few nodewars, work on her lifeskills, and also assist in guild related stuff as well as doing stuff around the house and other things.

5. Prochilles

Yea, I've seen videos (yours included) and went out on a guild mates boat to learn the process, but doing it isn't the issue, rather it is the effect it is and will have on the game and how I personally view it.

I want to do sea monsters it looks fun, though if it required 2+ people to kill efficiently I would like it better, but the insane amount of silver would ultimately devalue all the work etc that I've poured into actually earning the silver I currently possess.

6. Life Aries

While I am strongly against people who argue that sea monster payouts are BS or "unfair", I also disagree with the idea that everyone /must/ do them in order to have equal, or relatively similar, income for having a footing in the MP. One of the things that makes this game so enjoyable is that there are so many ways to spend your time; however, this post would indicate that the only way to play the game is to hunt sea monsters. One thing I've found that is consistently skewed in your posts is your idea of how much time can be spent on the game every day. For some people, they can only choose one set of dailies to do per day, which would mean nearly 100% of their time must be spent hunting sea monsters and thus unplayable to people who simply don't like it.

7. ManlyBeard

Sounds like you let your wife work while you game, while also letting her do all the chores. Das ****ed up man

AlwaysSaltyAF likes this.
  8. Prochilles

I'm not many people, so I don't freak out over every little issue. I was around during those times and the small amount of effect digging would have made is nothing compared to what we are currently seeing. And, keep in mind, this is barely scratching the surface. This silver is way more than people got with digging and the devs can't ban these players as it's not an exploit. The effects we've seen are here to stay for a long while.

9. ManlyBeard

The small amount of effect digging had ...

Before ban you could just buy hards and sharps when you wanted off mp

After ban, the entire supply for hards and sharps is still ****ed up, even when they hand em out in rewards.

10. AlwaysSaltyAF

Everything devalues eventually. PEN gear will eventually be trash. 500mil per hour will eventually be the best. +25 gear will eventually be top. ETC. Games change constantly. Better to adapt than stay as is.

Draconnix likes this.
  11. Here's the thing, your wife works, but do you? Because if you're just doing it all on two accounts, that kind of defeats the point of saying working people can do it, too.

I've had an epheria and skilled sailing since well before DS started hardcoring seamonsters with matchlocks and the public catching wind of how lucrative it is. Between work and taking care of family, I don't find it enjoyable to use the time I do have to play spending it in 2-3 hour chunks at sea. I'd rather remote into bdo every few hours to refresh afk activities and initiate others.

And when I do have chunks of time (and motivation) for active play, I'd rather invest it in enjoying i what kept me playing to begin with, the active combat system.

12. AlwaysSaltyAF

I don't box her at all when she is afk she does horse training loops in velia. Also, she prefers spending what little time she has to play the game doing guild related stuff rather than solo grinding in exp spots by herself. She use to do a lot of ocean content in archeage as well as life skilling (doing her farms/picking trees) so it doesn't surprise me much that she enjoys this content as well.

13. Nevelina

I actually go out and hunt seamonsters myself ( as you can figure I am the wife ) It's definitely possible for a working person to hit T10. You can drive out your main all the time and just go hunt for a couple hours a day or you setup an alt. Go hunt, travelers map back to ratt , sell items etc log out. Then next day do it over again, go hunt etc..( I don't really need to explain it to you any further do I )
    Also even if you work 50 hrs + you still have a day or two off to catch up.
    So if someone who works is telling me they can't do it then this person is just doing something wrong or likes to invest their time into somethingelse. Which is fine just don't judge people who actually play the game and invest time into it besides RL.

14. Jikiboo

Actually the method to solo those sea monsters Poke/run/poke thing. It is exploit and i guess its bannable.

There have been multiple threads about it and even guide videos and Gm's have removed those posts and removed video links saying its Exploit and not allowed.

Basicly most sea monsters were originally meant to be killed in parties or together with guild.. Not SOLO...

but damage is already done. Only thing they could do is remove sea monsters or something... until they fix them. Heck add ranged attacks to them so you cant just kill it with crappy ship solo.

15. Prochilles

I think you guys are missing the point. This thread is not about how much time we need to make a T10 payout, it is that this content is completely detrimental to the game as it is. 500mil an hour anything changes the entire game to focusing solo on a single piece of content, and anyone who refuses to do it will become irrelevant.

BDO has always maintained tons of separate viable and competitive silver grinds, but this is an end all. Instead of having life skills and mob grinders it is 100% everyone needs to do only 1 activity. But, then another problem occurs which is there is too much silver going to players. This issue is obvious cause item prices are capped so nothing will be on the market place.

The third and my main issue is that sea monsters cannot be fixed. They could hard nerf it now, but there will always be a degree of damage done to the game, as in people have gained enough silver for multiple pen items without having to put the work in. This severely devalues the silver that players have attained, for instance my 10b hard earned silver is a joke compared to true sea monster guilds. These months and years of learning to manage, save, and invest, though beneficial for myself in other areas, has become worthless in-game, since 10b is now the equivalent of 20 days for these guilds.

Again this isnt about how hard it is to get T10 payouts, cause it is obviously easy, the issue is why this is in the game to begin with, since GM's and devs like to talk so much about the integrity of the game.

16. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

they could increase cannon damage and remove ramming damage on monsters. that would make it more teamplay and if cannons are effective it would still earn money.

17. Srich

Dude u got some problems here ya? First you talk about those annual census with the top 3 richest players.. then u blame on payout players ( from sieges or from sea monsters ) but you may not know that those 3 top rich players dont do sea monsters or gets any payout from sieges. They just life skill and save money and the top in EU not even have a gear.. its just a different playstile that most players cant understand.

IM REALLY sick of you cry babies that complains over sea monsters gains... Sea monsters doesnt screw no one ! None of the TOP geared players in EU has ever done his gear with sea monsters. Sea monsters is a catch up mechanic right now for plebs to get some easy money and get at least soft cap meanwhile top players are already full tet accessory with at least 1 PEN. The only **** about sea monsters was that it got exploited with speedhacking but those idiots were already banned.

P.S. your 10B stored is a gain that i can make in less then a month and i never done sea monsters so please learn the game and stop crying.

18. nolasigns

Won't assume right off the bat, but in many games when they start flooding easy to gain money into a game, it means in the not so distant future a new currency will be added, and maybe even an entirely new monetary system.

We're in our 60s. crawling into year three. That's still a baby game. Another 3 years from now, we could be in our triple digits levels, and silver just merchant crap for Pots. You can go revisit many games that have been on the shelves, not all of them use their original currencies.

19. crosspath

People selling shards should uninstall the game, seriously.

[​IMG]

Never sell shards, you are helping hackers and payout abusers, they get easy silver but not easy shards, repeat, NEVER SELL SHARDS, specially for PEANUTS silver + crap extra preorder silver. Show them the middle finger!

Frazan, Prochilles and Fearless V like this.
  20. Factorial

i'm sorry, not sorry. get over yourself. i am sure this isn't the first mmo you have played, so spare me the "my hard work isn't equal to the change of time."

mmos evolve with time. what should you do? evolve with the game or stay with the has-beens.