1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response This fear for a non-PVP channel

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Factorial, Aug 1, 2019.

Tags:
?

Would a non-PVP channel be game breaking?

1. Yes

99 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

127 vote(s)
    56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalenos

When you are carebear in a pkers world #FeelsScaredMan lmao

Falconrye and DafuqYouLookinAt like this.
  2. 2Cents

The evidence is clear.
    • Bless Online had MORE active players during it's launch than BDO. People couldn't wait to jump ship because naturally they are tired of the P2W and lies.
    • Fallout 76 illustrates multiple releases over the last few years. BDO is somehow competing with games that don't even function or are not complete.
    • Diablo Immortal....... Do you not have phones?
    You should review the history of Archaege. I can't find a single review or real discussion that doesn't conclude they loved the game, but it became a P2W failure. BDO isn't that far behind. It was held up by Steam and lack of competition.

3. Sibyyl

None of your other examples had a "lack of competition". They died as much from competition as the other factors.

BDO's "lack of competition" is because the game is actually rather "good". It's precisely why you're still hanging out here.

Here's the right way to say it:
    BDO is better than anything else that's out there to the people who choose play it regularly.

And as far as your point about people jumping ship if something better comes along? That's true about anything, not just BDO.

I'm surprised this basic logic is escaping you. Expected better.

Maginha, Desado and IWalkAlone like this.
  4. Foo

Foo

Imagine playing a game you don't really like purely because you can't move to another game

5. 2Cents

A movie is not a block buster hit if people are only going to see it because there are not big hits available. It's really not that complicated.
    You're just in the boat of people making up imaginary games that don't exist.

"Jumping ship" is when they are not happy with the product or just burnt out. A certain amount of players will always try something new, but that is not the correct term for those players. The game essentially has to be "sinking" for everyone to want to jump off, and since all the P2W and lack of direction that happened for a lot of people.

The market is bare bones dry right now, start NAMING the competitors because there virtually none. The only things even remotely close are Vindictus or Blade & Soul. That's merely because they are action combat games. Neither are really new and B&S sounds like it has some of the PW2 issues anyway.

6. DafuqYouLookinAt

^ this so much! -aggressive loud claps-

NoisyBoy and BDOHASPVPOHNOES like this.
  7. WinterMilla

This can be backed up with devs before releasing a new game having to say its not p2w/ no lootboxes. That alone makes headlines as people really hate having their work side stepped because someone spent more.

BDO has only 3 things going about it:
    Graphics
    Combat (Not in the PvP aspect but rather what you can do with your character)
    freedom (you can go anywhere and do things in a non linear way)

Beyond that many people drop the game because
    enchaning
    having to spend a shinny penny for a lot of features that got cut off
    grindy (not that grinding is the problem but rather how you do grinding)
    unblanced PVP (I'll give them some lead way on this as its hard to balance games in general)
    Slow traveling (traveling without a T7+ makes the game feel a lot longer)
    And certain paywalls

woots, Kagedancer, Fearless V and 2 others like this.
  8. BDOHASPVPOHNOES

If people spend hundreds of millions of dollars to see a **** movie just because there isn't anything else available, yes it still makes it a blockbuster movie. Just look at the Transformer franchise, the X-Men franchise, Suicide Squad, all brought in hundreds of millions of dollars and viewers and still managed to be bad.

IWalkAlone likes this.
  9. 2Cents

The entire situation is really a shame. Developers trying to hide their actions, consumers falling for traps and feeding into the situation. Meanwhile customers are fine with paying for a good product.

10. Sibyyl

I think we could talk in circles all day, but.. I will agree with you that there are a lot of things Pearl Abyss could do better, to not build up such strong resentment in the community. It erodes long term confidence in the game.

Hence the difference between FFXIV and EVE gamers vs. BDO. It's also vogue to say "BDO is bad" in this community - like it's what we do because we feel like we've been kicked around too many times.

11. Kagedancer

Lol at the argument that there should be no PvE channel because it would be too popular.

If it would be so popular then make multiple pve channels. There is a reason most MMOs have mostly pve channels and only one or two PvP channels - it’s because most people don’t feel like being PKd.

The reward for PvP channels shouldn’t be more loot - it’s supposed to be the “fun” PvP you get. Anyway those who no-lifed or $$$ there way into top gear that get to bully the rest of the player base will wither cry or come up with red herring reasons they shouldn’t give their customers what they actually want - peaceful pve servers.

12. Makena

The problem is not really the PVP system it is the lack of any party content. Instead of a PVE channel they should give you bonuses for partying up and rework the rift boss system to be a random spawn in grind spots designed for a party to take down. The difficulty of the boss could be based on gear score of the party and scale up or down depending on what the group can handle making it just difficult enough to possibly kill you but not enough that it is impossible to live through using skill. This and the fact that the game is rock paper instead of rock paper scissors when it comes to the CC system are the heart of the games problem.

Phoenixxx75, IWalkAlone and Sadalsuud like this.
  13. Solo_Tyrant

MMOs have servers that are always PVP or servers that are optional/planned PVP. You're confusing the latter with "PVE only".

14. 2Cents

This is correct. No one ever stated they want a 50% drop boost server, the ONLY request for a PVP server. However, when people found due to these so called "PVP players" not being able to regulate themselves the server was a mess with no population.

Kakao not understanding any of this, and always wanting to sell the game, not really improve it........ just threw in a 50% drop boost so more people would play it. That never addressed the real issue of why it was inhospitable. It also feels like a 50% drop boost to in an effort to cater almost as a "Paid Server" for whales. Although naturally people who exploited SMH and play top tier PVP classes will say, nuh uh I don't P2W and I play there.

Kagedancer and Fearless V like this.
  15. Kagedancer

Not that I used the term "PVE only" anywhere, but this is just semantics that shouldn't detract from the point. I don't think people on the PVE server would mind still being able to duel (requiring mutual consent) or enter (on purpose) instanced PVP arenas.

16. The Gray Lady

Well, then, would it still be a PURELY PVE server channel? What you're thinking of is more of a "mostly PvE server" which is not the same as a PvE Only server.

Let's say the powers that be created a "purely PvE" channel... This would mean no dueling, no node wars, nobody would "own" a town nor receive the benefits, no PVP at all (instanced arenas notwithstanding.)

Here's the issues I see with that:
    • No dueling for grind spots, which would mean first come, first served. All of a sudden mob competition becomes a whine-fest where people will start claiming hacks for those who have faster kill rates. Either that or they'll be in the forum asking for the devs to "do something" about prime grind spots being too crowded or unable to finish GMs because there's not enough mobs.
    • Market stacking would be a thing. People with high-end gear would pop over to the PvE (a.k.a. "no risk") server to farm high-end drops/mats/whatever with impunity to list them on the market and profit, depriving the lesser-geared player of necessary materials to become better geared players.
    • No challenge - Admittedly, this one is purely subjective, but surely I am not the only one who feels this way. I am primarily a PvE player. I don't have uber gear, and I am not by any means ranked in any PvP situation. But the "fear" of being PK'd while grinding makes me sharper, and challenges me to get better. If I didn't have that, I would be content to have my mediocre gear so long as I didn't have any issues killing whatever mobs I need. I'd be bored silly in a short amount of time, and move to a mixed server or quit altogether.

TL;DR:
    If you want a PURELY PVE server, I think the troubles it would cause would far outweigh the "fear" of having someone gank you.

IWalkAlone likes this.
  17. Kagedancer

Most MMO's with "PVE" servers are not "purely pve" in that they allow consensual duels. I don't think anyone would care if consensual duels are permitted on the PVE server and I will not waste more time on this as it's a useless distraction from the point of what people are getting at - which is being able to play in peace without someone walking by and one-shotting you. Or being able to walk up to you and say "hey I want to do what you are doing - so you have to go away." Or just have people being jerks and killing tradeskillers just because they wanted to level over 49.

For some of your other issues:

* Overpopulation on PVE servers should be solved by adding more servers to accommodate the playerbase interested in pve servers. MMOs already open and close servers based on user demand so no new concepts here. They also should diversify things to do other than farm in a couple preferred spots.
    * Market stacking - um who cares? They already have "no risk" severs - all the other servers where they can just 1-shot people into getting their own way or outfarming them if they dont' want a karma loss. Anyway unless they closed down some of the standard servers now, they will likely be very lightly inhabited and they can still farm there.
    * Nothing would stop you from remaining on other servers for more "challenge." Give people that choice.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  18. AlnilamE

I think a channel with no PvP would be a good idea.

Would it be popular? Very likely? Would that be a problem? Probably not. People who really dislike PvP are not that set on getting the perfect grind rotation for x number of hours. They want to kill mobs because a quest is telling them to do so, not because that spot supposedly gives them x silver/hour.

I have guildies who stopped playing because they would be running from one side of an area to another and they would get killed by someone who they weren't even bothering. They were just following the quest lines and the black spirit or whoever told them to kill certain mobs and they would.
    And for people like that, having people in the area is not a big deal.

Remember what it was like when the Accessory event was on and there were dozens of people at Manshas or Hexe or Fogans? That might happen in a PvE channel, but it will be fine. And that will also be the insulation against the "high geared grinding class that will take over the spot and you can't do anything". None of the committed grinders care very much about keeping a tight rotation, so other people can still get their kills in and the grinder will end up changing channels because they are used to grinding efficiently and this won't be it.

But I digress.

PvP isn't for everyone, particularly in this game. People who just want to enjoy the scenery and quest and get knowledge will never get gear that's on par with people who PvP, never mind play their class in a way that's effective in a PvP fight.

To them, getting killed in PvP is like getting stung by a bee when you go for a walk on a nice day. It doesn't add anything to the experience, and if it happens often enough, will discourage you from going out.

So yeah, a PvE channel would be a good idea. It would bring a lot of people back, and you don't need to make any changes to loot or whatever because if the channel is as popular as people seem to fear, the lack of grind efficiency will take care of that on its own.

Phoenixxx75 and Fearless V like this.
  19. Falconrye

If you hit 50, you are a pvper.

Quit if you don't like it.

NoisyBoy likes this.
  20. Narktember

Narktember Narktember DarkKnight 61 NA

game has more than just pvp, lifeskillers can stay below 50 but will constantly get a message at 49

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.