1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Ranger Reference

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by DSdavidDS, May 9, 2017.

1. DSdavidDS

Click HERE for the guide!

06/22/16 - published guide and changed formatting

06/23/16 - added images and the accessories section. Boss armors, xtals, and awakening skills under construction. Added a note about Ancient Weapon Core and Ancient Guardian Seal. Added disclaimer.

06/24/16 - added a few small notes in the skills section

06/28/16 - updated armor section with boss armors and zereth shoes. Font size. Spoilers! Awakenings.

06/30/16 - changed note about steel and bronze dagger

07/04/16 - notes on awakenings

07/12/16 - Changed gem necklaces to Manos versions. Finally added the crystals section!

07/19/16 - small note about Liverto

07/20/16 - Fixed error in Armor. Upcoming changes in the guide for Armor options, New awakening skills, and new Crystals

07/21/16 - Revised some role descriptions. Changed to bddatabase.com's skill calculator! Removed awakening references in skills

07/22/16 - Updated Crystals with the new "Black Magic" variants. Updated the armor section with Armor options! New recommendation is Heve+Zereth Shoes. Removed Boss Armor Roadmap (since transitioning would be easy if you go Heve+Zereth Shoes). Updated accessories! Included Blue Coral Rings since they became very cheap!

07/28/16 - Due to forum’s buggy formatting, I switched the guide to a master google document. The forums will now reflect the content of the gdocs. Made a few changes to sections necessary.

07/31/16 - Moved Flow: Pinpointing Gust II as an optional skill. Removed redundant words and grammatical errors. Finished migrating the guide to Google docs. The gdocs will serve as the master copy. No more spoilers or item links though :( New nicely formatted table of contents and outline!

08/01/16 - Completed the “consumables” section including foods, elixirs, and alchemy stone. Added a section for new Rangers, let me know what you think!. Next on the list is to improve the accessory section

08/06/16 - Currently reworking Accessory section. Not sure when I will finish. Refer to @Ayl’s guide for now. Migrated the entire guide to gdocs leaving only the changelog

08/09/16 - Added Black Spirit’s Rage to the skills section (idk, I thought it was worth mentioning; not sure if I should mention mounted skills). New and improved Accessory section!

08/20/16 - Need more testing on Ultimate: Blasting Gust (Thanks Immobilize from Discord!)

09/14/16 - Changed information about Sidearms (Particularly added Nouver and mentioned Kutum)

09/28/16 - Fixed typos. Added Elixir of Thorns with a special note. Decided against including all consumables from Khalk and Blue Whale. Small edits in armors section. Added Awakening Weapons! Also updated crystals and some foods thanks to @Intimacy/Fluffy. Planning on improving organization of crystals section.

09/30/16 - Added Sicil’s Necklace

10/01/16 - Removed some reference links

10/03/16 - Enabled printing on the google docs (idk why I had it disabled). If anyone wants a simpler published page, you can access it through here.

10/04/16 - Moved charging kick and pinpointing gust II as an optional skill. Found a few inconsistencies in the core skill build (fixed it). Also adjusted the core skill build to level 56 with awakening skills (level 60 will come later but by this point, you probably have everything maxed)

10/05/16 - reverted charging kick change (still useful after awakenings)

10/12/16 - The day we have been waiting for! Changed the “roles” section in accordance to elven swords. Elixir of Thorns removed from list (uncraftable as of today for OP reasons). Complete renovation of the skills section. Elven Swords skills still under test.

10/13/16 - Added new accessories. Also color coded their names based on rarity!

10/14/16 - Add-on Recommendations! Let me know if you agree/disagree with anything!

10/15/16 - Simple Skill Combos added. Got lazy with the skill combos. Let Taboo be your instructor on doing advanced combos! Moved Flow: Rooting down as an optional skill. Core skill build has been adjusted to reflect this change.

11/19/16 - Finally updated the descriptions of Elven Sword skills (a bit rushed so let me know if anything should be improved). Also made small changes to the armor section over the past few weeks. Added more accessories to the list (it now lists ALL accessories that provide AP). Currently planning to add an accessory-buying guide (if ever)

12/09/16 - Large update regarding the pace in obtaining gear. Considering the availability of (the once legendary) Bhegs/Kzarka and the bottleneck of memory fragments, I reevaluated gear that newer players should work towards. The idea is that we use green gear until we can skip to yellow. Check the Weapon and Armor section for more info. See @VipeR’s guide for a quick tl;dr. Deleted the former “analysis on all armor sets” because it was too wordy and not as relevant anymore. Also, please let me know if you have details on the revamped 1-50 main quest!

12/12/16 - Totally forgot to give Rosar weapon/offhand some love! Mentioning both now. Also forgot about offhands xtals that give resistance ignore. Fixed a lot of issues within the crystals section and made them look much nicer! One gem-slot gear is now deprecated, meaning I no longer recommended them. This includes Zereth and Yuria. Small exception to the +5 Agerian you get during quests and offhand. Ran spellcheck

12/14/16 - Rosar Dagger is not considered an alternative to Nouver anymore

12/15/16 - Removed Ring and Earring of Sealed Magical Power. I don’t think the quest is worth your time anymore.

12/20/16 - Updated the Foods and Elixirs to look nicer with updated information

12/18/16 - Nouver is finally here! Currently needing some feedback on Rosar/Kutum on Rangers. If you use it, please let me know!

01/01/17 - Small change to awakening addon suggestions

01/03/17 - Combat Promotion Exp quest added for new ranger quest recommendations. Changed the layout of weapon suggestions. Still needs some work for organization but main change is that the choice of green/blue weapon is up to the player. I won't recommend green > blue anymore (at least in the guide). You decide which is most time/cost efficient!

01/07/17 - Added Alchemy Stone of Destruction as a recommendation. Linked a full list of crystals. Reorganized the New Ranger section with more recommended quests and a comparison of green vs blue gear.

01/11/17 - Added Kaidict’s Crystal (from attendance event formerly known as Caphras). Made note of the new Awakened Boss Shards in the New Rangers section. Reorganized priority armors; same armor sets but different format.

01/31/17 - Added Margoria Special. Reorganized daggers into two categories: Offensive and Defensive. Thank you to the awesome people on the BDO Ranger Discord for feedback on Rosar, Kutum, and Nouver. Improved description for weapons.

02/01/17 - Added accessory progression due to popular demand. Improved stat descriptions in the Role section

02/12/17 - Added TheLazyPeon’s beginner guide (video) in the new rangers section

02/15/17 - Added new black spirit rewards (offhand and armor). Deprecated bronze dagger. 3-piece Heve + Roaring Magical Armor has been added as a priority setup. New quests will be updated in the “New Ranger” section once they are available on bddatabase.

02/18/17 - Added new armor and dagger images. Removed Black Spirit Quest Gear Miniguide since the in-game main quests is straightforward. Nicer looking table of contents.

02/21/17 - Added some favorite ranger combat videos in the new ‘Videos’ section

03/01/17 - Added miniguide: “Tips on Managing your Mana”. Shrank the changelog, but not too much because people read these.

03/15/17 - Updated the Intro and added suggestion for better reading. Split intro and improved the new “Stats” section. Updated the post-awakening build (59) with Rooting, EES, and WotW. Added AP under the accessory roadmap.

04/26/17 - Updated Nature’s Tremble’s CC tag from stiff to stun to reflect today’s patch.

05/06/17 - Mentioned the BSC and ASC quest rewards in the Essential Quests section. Reorganized the accessory section, removed irrelevant/cost-inefficient accessories from the list. Typo on “tungrade” earrings o.o. Updated the Stats section with confirmed information with the recent test from /u/Bigandshiny.

05/20/16 - Added Seol’s channel for quality 1v1 class videos. Added section for craftable costumes. RCEs are BiS (imo).

05/23/17 - Renamed crystals to reflect recent accuracy and evasion naming consistency changes.

06/05/17 - Bronze is not deprecated anymore. It is a fine accuracy option under certain circumstances. Added tree belt to the quick accessory reference

06/13/17 - Slight changes to skill builds. Meh DC. WotW Yes.

06/14/17 - Free +10 Green Awake Weapon for new players as of today’s patch mentioned in the Green vs Blue section

06/19/17 - Revamped the Offhand section. Apologies for calling Kutum BiS. tl;dr we need to switch between several offhands.

07/04/17 - Added analysis of the new Lemoria gear from Kamasylve part 2. Added Tungrad Belt to accessory section.

07/22/17 - Changed recommendation in ‘Blue vs Green’ to green bow and green sword. Reworked the offhand section (again) with the latest information on the current offhand ‘meta’ for rangers. The section now contains a section for ‘Steel vs Nouver’, PvE, and PvP. Few of the crystals have been rearranged in ascending order to reflect BiS in PvP. Updated accessories to match new accuracy values and updated some description. Took out trivial skill descriptions (hp scaling skills) and added more useful ones.

08/06/17 - Added a new section compiling upcoming content in KR (mostly for self reference). The entire Core, Optional, and Useless/Fun skills has been redone. Abilities have also been rearranged to accommodate the current state of ranger. Added a creative commons link for anyone who makes derivative versions of this reference.

08/11/17 - Updated the Stats section with more relevant information.

08/16/17 - Added the new Asula Red Eye’ Accessories. Accessory roadmap also changed accordingly.

08/20/17 - Small change to alchemy stone section.

08/22/17 - Removed a few Foods and Elixirs that aren’t worth using or are easily outmatched by others. Reworking armor section. Removed Expensive/Outdated/Less Flexible Alternatives. Added recommendation for Hercules as an alternative to Heve. Also added new KR boss armors and quest gear. Removed Witch’s earrings. Removed a few crystals from the list including event limited.

Old Forum's Discussion

#1 DSdavidDS, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. Wow, thank you :)

3. Snowden

Very nice work bro!

4. Faythscar

Faythscar Ranger 63 EU

Very useful stuff. Great work!

5. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

1 question tho ...
    using WotW then on awakening shift +lmb/rmb or q+space do more dmg whyle mobs has the debuff from WotW ?

+ i didn't saw combo for shotgun from awakening . Whyle having awakening weapon press d+c then space for making a shotgun combo .

Also 100% rage on bow its kinda a powerfull skill for cc-ing tons of playes in nodewar . I always use it as a support skill for front lines .

Also grabbing trough shields is bad idea , dash behind enemy then grab from behind ...

6. DSdavidDS

The debuff on WotW is specifically for melee damage. So yes, ti increases the damage on nature's tremble and most other sword skills. However, I dont really use WotW in PvP; not really worth it imo.
    I haven't really heard of people using the 100% rage in nodewars. As far as I know, the best it does is a knockback?
    And grabbing through shields certainly put you at risk but it punishes players who try to block all your attacks. Ideally, grabbing from behind sets you up for backattack damage.

7. Vaekandrae

Hum. Interesting guide you have there, but I'm not 100% sure I'd agree with it all. Likely just me having a vastly different play-style, but I almost never used any of the skills you have listed as core skills. In fact, the only two I ever used myself were Razor Wind and Tearing Arrow, as those are all I've found really useful with my style. To each their own though, and your guide is probably quite useful for a different one :D

8. DSdavidDS

Ooh? Someone who disagrees with my guide! Time for some juicy arguements! >:D

In all seriousness, I'd love to improve the guide and certainly value the feedback. Keep in mind I have PvP as main priority. PvE naturally follows based on ranger's skillset.

Essentials:
    • Shotgun used to be one of Ranger's best skills until it wasn't. It, nevertheless, is a valuable skill that flows well from our sword skills and does a fair amount of damage traded for the price of vulnerability.
    • Blasting bust is absolutely essential in PvP. Not only is it a ranged CC, it can be animation canceled to be cast instantly letting us kite.
    • EES is an easy and quick source of stagger and iframe (something that we don't have much of)
    • CotE isn't really essential but it certainly does improve our damage if you can find the chance to place it in the middle of PvP
    • Charging Kick isn't required to use Call from the Sky but it is still useful if you are in a situation you can't mess up the combo.
    • Ult: Evasive Shot: required to cancel shotgun, BG, WotW
    Optionals:
    • Ult: Descending Current: recently removed it from the "core" list. It is way to weak as siege and poke damage
    • RW is one of the coolest skills rangers get, but it leaves you way too vulnerable during PvP and the damage and range is not worth the risk.
    • Tearing Arrow III is one of my top choices from the optional list since it can chunk people down for about 30% of their health. Not essential in PvP because it leaves you vulnerable like RW.

It seems like your playstyle revolves around "sniping" enemies from a set position. I'd love for rangers to be able to play like that. The skillset of our opponents, however, don't allow that. It leaves you in prime position to be CC'd and killed.

9. Vaekandrae

For a one on one fighting I do agree, you likely couldn't get away with my style of hitting hard then moving away really quickly, but I couldn't tell how effective it might be honestly. I've tested in a few 1 v 1 duels in my guild and I did well, but I've never tested against groups or in live PvP. I can see why some of those abilities might be great for it, but I suppose that goes hand in hand with my distaste for it haha.

I do love seeing people have different play styles though, it breaks things up from the monotony, and so far for PvE TA / RZ is great, considering they can be easily cancelled with the dagger / Evasion jump, and the bleeds on (especially an awakened TA, 75 every 3 seconds ^uu^) can be VERY painful. So far even Valencia hasn't given me much trouble, and that's with rather low AP / DP numbers compared to what I hear others having (133 / 155 are mine), so I'd say I'm doing alright for myself :D

DSdavidDS likes this.
  10. DSdavidDS

Several new changes over the past month

05/23/17 - Renamed crystals to reflect recent accuracy and evasion naming consistency changes.
    06/05/17 - Bronze is not deprecated anymore. It is a fine accuracy option under certain circumstances. Added tree belt to the quick accessory reference
    06/13/17 - Slight changes to skill builds. Meh DC. WotW Yes.
    06/14/17 - Free +10 Green Awake Weapon for new players as of today’s patch mentioned in the Green vs Blue section
    06/19/17 - Revamped the Offhand section. Apologies for calling Kutum BiS. tl;dr we need to switch between several offhands.

Main change is the revamped offhand section:
    [​IMG]

Feedback and comments appreciated!

LeWaffles likes this.
  11. Anna Dark

Thank you so much, I wish i could like this a 100 times!

DSdavidDS likes this.
  12. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

Soo i came here to ask : What crystals for endgame ?
    As a bow i have zaka it means +3 atk speed , and i have 4 crystal slots to maximize attack speed and crit chance .
    But as a food i will use margoria so it means i will still need to hit 2 atk speed and 3 crit chance .
    I can use +1 crit +1 atk speed in gloves and a valor +2 crit and i will still need 1 attack speed that i can get from food from what i know .
    ok now what i put in bow , helmet and armor ? In shoes i go with +2 mov speed x 2 crystals . Offhand i have 2 awakened crystals .
    Anyone got a better idea ?

13. LeWaffles

In bow, I recommend either BMC precision crystals or RBF power crystals. I use precision.
    Helmet, evasion crystals for PvP, kydicts adventure for PvE (2 separate helms recommended)
    Armor, either Cobelinus or special attack evasion 10%.

14. Crescent

Crescent Ranger 62 EU

How about offhand crystals? I got myself a tri kutum yesterday, so I was wondering if 2x black spirit crystal or awakening crystal is good? I see many of my ranger friends using 2x black spirit crystals for their nouver though.

15. LeWaffles

Yeppers, im using 2x awakened black spirit crystals. Ive heard people talking about using the special attack ones I think, but I haven't tested it and the ones ive talked to seem split 50/50 on whether its viable or not. Im staying with the awakened ones lol

16. Crescent

Crescent Ranger 62 EU

For survivability, they are essential, if you consider how much hp you get from those. As for damage, I dont know, but I read somewhere once that steel dagger does more dmg than nouver due to the special attack +1, but I need to test it myself when I get nouver.

17. stalas

U miss the parying dagger 1 slot but more evasion than rosar krea + 100 hp its better for full evasion build with centaur belt, sharp prot stone, sicil but i need really high lvl and ring earrring full tet to be good with that :D i have 194/196/336 really good evasion and dmg.
    But i need pop CotE / BG debuff/ cold blade + dp buff grab/explosive add on/ eat 100% and u will be able to 1hit anybody and get 90% less dmg vs all player without crazy accu offhadn earring buff ..

18. DSdavidDS

Thanks for the feedback! I excluded parrying dagger because I don't know anyone who has actually tested it on a ranger (specifically with high AP). As far as I can tell, rosar gives more AP and a more efficient mix of DR and evasion. If you have any data that shows it is efficient at the endgame, please let me know!
    I digress to Wiz/Wit but I know that parrying dagger is particularly great for evasion builds. Ranger, however, can't really do anything with an evasion build. Not enough superarmor, AOE CC, frontal blocks, etc.

LeWaffles likes this.
  19. stalas

20. DSdavidDS