1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response What class to play?

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by HeadUpHigh, Sep 2, 2017.

1. HeadUpHigh

Hello guys!

I'm an almost new player (still downloading the game), and I've been watching a few videos about the classes to figure out what would be the best fit. Unfortunately I don't seem to find a class I like. So I thought maybe I'm just missing something and maybe you could help me.

I like classes that can fight both at range and at melee (let's just say I don't like to move out of the way). I prefer classes with good defensive skills, high damage isn't the most important, but survivability is.

Dark Knight doesn't seem too off but I really dislike the fantasy of the class. I was thinking maybe Valkyrie, but I keep reading they are not very good for solo play. I just have the free trial to play so I'll be doing that alone and I don't want to spend the whole time struggling. Also it seems to be a pure melee class.

Any advice is appreciated :)

2. Concubine

Consider berserker. When awakened awakened you get gap closers and ranged attacks. It is one of the strongest classes in the game, and one of the lesser played.

3. HeadUpHigh

Thank you. I'll give it a try :)

Concubine likes this.
  4. Concubine

Keep in mind, the class play styles with change greatly at lvl 56 when you awaken your character. You basically need to look at the awakened versions of each class and decide if its a good fit.

HeadUpHigh likes this.
  5. HeadUpHigh

Thanks, I'll try to find more about it then.

6. Concubine

Found this, give some idea without going too much into all the individual skills

HeadUpHigh likes this.
  7. HeadUpHigh

Berserker does look really good. Loved that gun :) Kunoichi also looks really fun and her throwing her weapon like that remains me of my protection paladin in WoW.

From what I've read around awakening is a custom process, so I guess is up to the player to chose which abilities to awake. Still is was nice to get a look at the classes :)

8. Concubine

Not so much. Your only limit is skill points, which eventually you will have enough for all your awakening skills. You will even most likely reroll out of some of your pre awakened skills to obtain all awakening ones you can. You can expect to pretty much use all of your awakening skills, at the moment they are that good as they receive a damage bonus from your main hand weapon.

Soon, we will have the "second awakening" where two pre awakening skills are combined to be more powerful and encourage my varied play style.

9. Blitzball

No , lol. You have no choice , you MUST use your awakening spells ou you WILL DIE. That's a fact.

The gameplay before 56 is the demo. The real gameplay is the AWAKENING.

WuZhao likes this.
  10. HeadUpHigh

Hummm...I see... I had read about using points to unlock skills and was under the impression it was a custom build. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Well, after my first play session I can say I'm enjoying berserker. Also after some quick googling I found out that I spend my time running back to safe zones for nothing xD It was mostly confusing, but also fun.

Concubine likes this.
  11. Blitzball

Buy a Rosar axe and upgrade it :)
    Same for Saiyer Knot.

For armor, try to get the Heve set.

WuZhao and HeadUpHigh like this.
  12. ironside31

Is sex really tied to your class??? If so, thats insane!! Why would you do that? Character creation is the most important part of the new player experience and to limit whether you can be male or female is insane! I hope im wrong on this point and just havent figured out how to change sex in creation.

13. SpeedMetal

SpeedMetal HaiIOdin Warrior EU

Classes are gender-locked. No way to change it.

14. Concubine

Many games create a narrative in their character creation. This is controlled by a number of factors, including the name of the class itself.
    I'm not saying its good or not. It has been done in many game before. Diabloo2, Vindictus, you can name many more. There is kind of an expectation to make a gender specific representation of yourself, however that is not an option available here.
    The idea of having a gender opposite version of each class has gone back and forth through various stages of development. There is a possibility that Pearl Abyss will eventually make opposing genders for those classes that currently don't have one.
    What you should realize and appreciate, in my opinion, is that the current mirror classes don't actually mirror their counterpart, and provide a different experience altogether, increasing the amount of play style variation.

15. HeadUpHigh

Thanks for the tip :)
    I was hoping I could change it too. Right now the major downside of the berserker class is the looks. If nothing else it would be interesting to see what a female berserker would look like in this game :D

16. CreepingCthulhu

most korean mmos are gender locked, grindy, rng-based and have a lot of hidden\obscure\unintuitive stuff. It's either yours or not.

you will eventually level all classes, 56 is like 2 days, and you need those as world boss campers, energy stores, farm slaves, euphiria fishing toons and so on.

dont purchase any char-bound stuff before you get your main, i mean weight and permanent costume.

You cant play this game without about 60 $ investement. while you may get costume, comfort pack and pets from market, it takes a lot of luck, and getting pets and weight right away really helps.

as for melee classes with ranged skills - that are obviously berserker, dark knight and kunoichi.

17. GM Haliaeetus

Game Master

Welcome to BDO HeadUpHigh! We wish you good luck in finding a character that you enjoy playing. If you do need any assistance, or have any questions, feel free to also contact our GM team through our help-desk.

Have fun!