1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What feels like infinite mindless grinding is not Entertaining

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by SA1NT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SA1NT

@black desert online team,

So here's the thing,
    The game, after level 56 or so (for some people less or more) starts to become really stale for those only really interested in levelling combat experience points, and not other types of gameplay in Black Desert. The amount of mobs necessary to kill to get to the next level becomes astronomical at around those levels!
    The main story line is a welcome addition but offers little to no xp for your main character level. Which at some point becomes an objectively pointless grindfest without any true purpose, logic or meaning. In total honesty it's an unjustifiable waste of time to go in circles for hours killing mobs and gaining so very little xp for the amount you've mind numbingly killed with or without the boosters in place. If there were quests, that when completed offer a good amount of xp without mindless grinding of X number of mobs, that would be a more enjoyable hidden grinding experience. I'm not suggesting this is what you need to do exactly. But it should be much more than it is.
    Don't get me wrong, the combat is very fun. But after a certain amount of time, you notice how insignificant your efforts are when measured in real time. I want to say that for all its splendour and detail the team seems to feel justified on the levelling aspect of their game. It doesn't matter if this was originally made for a different audience in mind. No one should be morally happy with this kind of levelling. Unless you have nothing else that deserves your time more than this "entertaining distraction" does.
    Speaking to the team. When you do the math, in average xp gain and the number of mobs killed, do you ever begin to wonder? Would the players time be better spent elsewhere? For some I know that would be a no, and I would truly feel sorry for you. I'm sure there are others out there that do not look at these forums or voice their thoughts in chat that would feel the same as I. In fact they probably don't play anymore. In the end as I've said before this and any other type of video game is supposed to be an "entertaining distraction". It should not be a way of life, or feel like it is taking over ones life. The worth of grinding as it is right now, is not worth the amount needed to invest in it. It is not a fair trade of ones time spent.

TLDR, Grinding needs to change how it is experienced by the players. Without an entertaining tale, or some valued entertainment worth the time needed to invest in levelling, it becomes an unjustifiable waste of time.

Pkmdz, Vix, Joungf and 9 others like this.
  2. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 57 NA

Welcome to korean roleplaying games.

Yolai, Mal'Ganis, Joungf and 3 others like this.
  3. Andaro

no mmo have i ever played wasn't grindy when you get to the soft cap / hard cap area's
    this is not a first person shooter, or a moba, or a tcg....
    its a sandbox grindstyle traditional korean mmo
    >.>

Sizer likes this.
  4. Dremlock

Well done!! We haven't had a good "BDO is grind is bad" thread in a while. I actually 100% agree with you. It's horrible, horrible, horrible game design. That being said, it is an addition element of "difficulty" that weeds out normies. If you aren't brain dead enough to deal with BDO's grind, you get **** on.

time better spent else where?? this implies my time has some sort of value. You don't need to feel sorry. I'M NOT A PART OF YOUR GLOBALIST SYSTEM, MAN

Revalenia likes this.
  5. Dremlock

ALSO: inb4 a bunch of basement dwelling nerds come to this thread trying to justify the absolute waste of life that is BDO.

Allow me to preemptively laugh at you: HAHA

Revalenia, Xenon, darklul and 8 others like this.
  6. pinetree

Inb4 another xp nerf

7. Roechacca

Thought they just dramatically increased XP for 56-60. No?

Sizer likes this.
  8. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 57 NA

Yes but 33% or whatever of 0.001 XP per mob doesn't make levelling dramatically faster at those levels to me.

9. Roechacca

So it's not a dramatic increase.

10. Columba

this is not the game you seek.

11. LogicaI

I stopped reading past the bold and underlined. 1-56 is tutorial phase. They have decreased exp required ( twice ),added new exp things,even added exp quests in altinova,1-56 takes less than 3 hours,5 hours for a new account,56-60 can be done in a single week on a account,two weeks on a new account,there is no reason anymore to complain about exp.

Sizer and jose0320 like this.
  12. Nyhver

i'll be the judge of that bucko

You are right about it being a monotonous grind offering no real challenge or change. In a sense that makes it difficult but it's a artificial difficulty, grinding mobs for the sake of difficulty in grind time repeatedly especially with as bad as it exists is akin to moving a pile of sand back and forth grain by grain.

It is not without a drawback, as Dremlock mentioned the gated and issue of primacy of instant gratification.

We are more grindy than Korea. I'll put that out there.

One huge solution that is related to all of this is fixing the rest of the game- game optimization, server stability, client side cooldowns perhaps, things to do in the game arguably other than do afk, semi-afk activites beside mindlessly grind mobs for money/levels/skill points, class balance, overall pvp design like RNG on CC, there's some real jesters that are in control of this game

Xenon likes this.
  13. Kurano

Kurano Berserker 60 NA

I dont disagree with you... But its also at its all time most EZ'est form.

*shrug*

Trees were decent fun til they nerfed. Maybe kama 2 will have something mildly entertaining for a while.

14. jose0320

How can you complain about leveling on 56?
    Its so ****in easy now

Sizer likes this.
  15. FriendlyFireNA

Grinding is braindead by your choice. If you want to have fun, switch places. Even by switching between sausans, pirates, desert fogans, desert nagas, i'm cured of boredom.
    I'm getting to lv60 fairly quickly thanks to the EXP buff. Got 1 to 58 in 1.5 weeks. 22% to lv59 in 1 day, today.
    It doesn't seem exacting at all. I've played mobile MMORPG that required more grinding.

If you still find a way to complain, go play another type of game. MMORPG is given to require grinding. Go play moba.

TarkusBlack likes this.
  16. Karai

Peoples over this board : don't care, the fact they are still here, speaks volumes about their intellectuals capacities, #Example : Several users above, easily missed the OP objective : "Grinding needs to change how it is experienced by the players", denial is quite strong.

Most Companies in the Market also doesn't care, especially this one, about users Feedback on the Forum, if you truly wish to send a serious message you have 2 Options :
    • Stop any Support $$ related.
    • Stop Loging in.
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.

17. Rahnxah

Anyone read "moonlight sculptor" or some novels like that?

koreans are braindamaged sometimes :/

Nimik likes this.
  18. Rvyne

ending up doing the same with 56 and 58 character. then alot of spending on that Epheria ship I took a months off and just recently downloaded it again.

I wanna try doing easy instead of grinding I'll try doing other activities like fishing and traveling :P my new formula of solving by boredom and maybe if I got time I'll do some grinding

(hard to be a lonewolf, this may only MMORPG i played without guild and not doing PVP haha)

19. CreepingCthulhu

wow has orders of magnitude more grinding.

20. Claydough

isnt endless grinding the whole point of mmo's?

what mmo isnt endless grinding?