1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What feels like infinite mindless grinding is not Entertaining

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by SA1NT, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Sizer

you mean make everyone level 61 then you go grind for money and skill points ?

maybe you should just look for a game that YOU like instead of changing one YOU don't like.

TarkusBlack likes this.
  2. ronniejw

The problem isn't the game it's that some peoples own play-style or expectations don't match up with the games design. I've been playing BDO for over 18 months, at least 8 hours per day and I don't see any problem with the grind. It's just like every MMORPG I've ever played.

3. AlnilamE

I think the OP meant "grinding needs to change how it is experienced by me". He didn't ask what anyone else thought of grinding, if they went grinding or why.

I'm also assuming that if the OP wants to level, he just goes to a spot and starts running in circles, ignoring the fact that there are entire quest lines dedicated to making your kill different groups of mobs.

Different people in this game have different approaches to grinding. Some will spend a week at Pirates or Sausans, others will move around. Some will grind for 10 hours straight, others take the slower road and burn through their XP buff every day or so.

Sometimes you want to do something different, but sometimes just killing things for an hour is a good way to settle down after a day of work.

I personally don't find the grind to 57 to be that bad. Got 7 characters there so far. I'll start going for 58 on all of them and so on. All while I do other things in the meantime, like research fishing rods, level professions, get knowledge and Contribution points.

It's all in the variety.

TarkusBlack likes this.
  4. zeezero

I understand the sentiment. There is no real end game for bdo. Once you hit soft cap gears and level, you spend alot of time making very little progress. There aren't really any new epic quests or things to attain.
    Things like the travelers map and t9 coursers shouldn't be something that 3 people have on the server have. If they require 6 months of grinding in the same spot for maybe a chance at the item or buying endless skill reset coupons to attain then they aren't worth doing for most people.
    There is a ton of potential in the game and visually it destroys the competition. But it needs substance that isn't oppressive. Maybe that's the korean way, but NA is injecting a crapload of money into this game so we should have more say in it's direction.

Xenon likes this.
  5. iller

I used to think that .... infact I had my two Mains parked right at 55 & 56 for nearly a year while I focused on other things like Horses, Boss Gear, and Contrib Points. Then in the period of roughly 1 month, I easily got that Wizard from 55 up to 58 rather casually.

It boiled down to the phrase "In for a penny, in for a pound". I just started with the weekly goal of renting a Tasalia's Villa pass and using up the daily Grinding Hour bonus every day. And most days, I'd just show up at fogans and try to spend close to an hour there. Before I knew it, I was 57 and in a Guild too. Then once or twice a week I'd find myself clearing fogans even faster with a friend from that guild, or in a 5 man group down in Pila Ku. Before I knew it, I was 58.

Then recently they added Savage Rift and I was shocked when I discovered I was netting up to 2&1/2% towards 59 everytime we made it to round 25. And as a builder most times, I found that even more interesting and a huge contrast from the "mindless" nature of stupid mob "rotations" and XP/Hour concerns. Now 2/3's of the way to 59 and they just increased everyone's XP rates even further with the last patch.

So in short: KEEP YOUR VIEW SHORT too. Don't try to look at the entire sky scraper. ...and not just because you probably won't like what you find when you get to the top of it. But rather because it's way more enjoyable when you DON'T try to scale huge sections of it all in one go. Instead you'll experiment a lot more, more pathways will open up. You'll find little mental tricks that can be applied to real life as well to make yourself a more prolific and less stressed out "worker".

TarkusBlack likes this.
  6. irrelevant

irrelevant Fiery Tamer 61 EU

1st, subjective

2nd, did you even do pve for more than 100 hours

3rd, some people seek this

4th, inexperienced low level people with no gear complaining about things they haven't spend enough time with 24/7

7. TarkusBlack

TarkusBlack Witch 61 EU

Great post. Valtarra Altar of Training in Kamasylvia gives a nice little XP boost every 3 days if you can finish it with your group. There's a level 58 in our group and he's making good progress towards 59 just from that.

8. BDOMONSTER

Not sure what you mean by astronomical buts it flat out a lie. I make 15% with my one hour buff going from 57-58. 7 hours to make a level., that means 58-59 will be !15 hours, 59-60 30 hours, 60-61 60 hours. Yes those hours are under ideal experience conditions but noone of those timelines is astronomical.

Its all in your head if you are going to run in a little circle on sausans or pirate island ya gg its mind numbing, but if you just play the game move around the world kill stuff you will level up. Its really no different than when you play WoW but your level capped and play the game earning xp for months and years but it all just vanishes because your xp bar is capped off...

I mean are you people for real??? It takes literally 12 total hours to get from level 1-56 and you have the audacity to cry about grinding its mind boggling man, just go play another game. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH i cant make level 62 in under 20 hours game is just a silly grind!, WAAAAAH WAAAH i made level 62 in 20 hours game is boring there is nothing to do! yeeesh honestly man you need to learn to think.

9. SA1NT

As suspected, I've seen a lot of suggestions in changing locations, doing other things instead, and made assumptions etc. My point is that the type of grind for the time needed is unjustifiable to the point of being a waste of time. So far nobody has successfully been able to defend it. Attempts were made but they are poor examples. A few may be entertained for a short time, but not indefinitely. The answers have shown that. Other MMOs do a far better job at hiding the grind behind "entertainment". Not kill x number of mobs and that's it. The game itself is good. But the leveling process cannot be justified. It ends up " distracting" but fails to entertain. The whole reason for a game is to be an entertaining distraction. Not just a distraction. So if anyone is going to invest that much time in leveling, it better be worth the time one spent doing it. Its safe to say it objectively does not. After all the time spent to get to 60 no one can be convincing enough to say that was well worth my time spent doing that. That was a fair trade of my time. I was happily entertained going through all that. If you can become convinced, then let me be the first to advise you to seek help. I'm not kidding. If you can say that and feel justified, you need to step back and rethink your life. Its not ment to insult. But wake you up. Check yourself.

10. Celensra

Even if reaching level sixty-two took took just a week from level fifty-six, there's going to be no fun in that week. There is absolutely no joy in fighting monsters that have no challenge. I've played for well over a year and I can't conjure even one memory of a "great moment" fighting monsters that didn't involve another player. Finding a rare item is nice but it's no fun. I just play music and daydream for the hour or two that I can bear doing it otherwise. I hope they'll add some form of challenge to the game someday though.

Xenon likes this.
  11. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 57 NA

Try exploring Kamasylvia, there are mobs a bit more interesting there.

12. MENT

Grinding is not rewarding as should. its somewhere in the middle of AFK fishing and trading.
    Get GM2+ trading and get ez silver.

13. CreepingCthulhu

trading fgrants you 20kk\hour and 3%\hour?
    pls share your wizdom

14. TarkusBlack

TarkusBlack Witch 61 EU

Wow. What an arrogant person you are. So convinced of your own ability to pass judgement on other people. How about you let other people enjoy what they like without being a condescending ******** about it?

You need to check yourself and ask yourself why you feel the need to judge how others spend their leisure time. I'm quite happy with my time spent in game thanks.

Gonna put you on ignore now as I have zero interest in anything else you might have to say.

15. Celensra

I did lol. I had a lot of fun there before they were nerfed to oblivion. I found the Manshaum to be delightfully challenging. The Feather Wolves, Mammoths, and many others were very interesting. I'll admit when I first visited, I spent a few days dying repreatedly because I didn't understand what was even happening lol. I now suddenly had to defend, dodge, and Griffons seemed as though the were made to jump behind my shield...I remember fighting three and screaming and running away after defeating a King and a standard Griffon lol. While the experience was...not ideal, I had fun because it was challenging. However, the recent patch changed that and everything aside from Mirumok Ruins is painfully easy now. If they reduced the health of monsters, that'd have been okay but they got rid of every threat, every control effect they had, and all the damage they dealt. So their "strong" monsters are really puffed up sponges that take ages to defeat and yield lackluster rewards and experience. I would see that changed. I want PVE to be fun soooo badly lol...

16. MENT

Trade grants me 55-85mil/day without much time invested in it, i do grinding just for lvls and in a daily boost of 2hour i bearly see over 10m... you can hit a jackpot of 5-30m accessory but its all RNG based (also grinding is 100% active playing for hours while fishing/trading both nearly afk), while in trading all stable.

Edit:
    Grinding could be better if 5th pet was added like RU/KR server has( still not gonna fix the disbalance between active grinding and inactive trading income) which will boost a little bit the income.

#56 MENT, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  17. CreepingCthulhu

and i grind 3 hours and do 60kk+exp.
    im doing timber caratestuff tho, selling once or twice a month

18. MENT

you forgot the main thing, you do 60kk+exp in a really good day, and on the avarage day, you do 20-40% of it. same time you have to actively play in order to actually see those results while all that traders & fishers should do, its come once a 30-45 mins to buy/sell stuff and earn the same as you and even more...

You kindly got off the thread idea, I am for grinding boost and as for now, grinding is in really bad status compared to trading or fishing .that's all.

#58 MENT, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  19. Escapism

with all the xp buffs and changes to xp/lvl requirements weve already received, getting to 60 on even a complete new account can be done much faster than it took to level an alt to 60 in old scool plain vanilla world of warcraft.

But compared to old scool vanilla wow, where reaching 60 was not even the end of the tunnel to become even slightly competetive or becoming useful and sought after for dungeons and raids, that required another several weeks or even months of "grinding" dungeons for better gear. In bdo reaching 60 is not even a requirement for anything (except some guild recruitments).

If youre turned off by both of these designs and required time investments, maybe mmos in general are not for you, maybe only those modern day western mmos which are 100% casualized and themeparked (i just made that term up), which bring new content faster than players can complete it, but all of that content is completely meaningless and always repetitive, will do it.

20. CreepingCthulhu

no, i get 20kk on really average day at sausan and even more at pirates.
    and i still fish and trade over that