1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes you have fun in BDO?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Veronique, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Karnstein

Simple, Channel chat, all the alienware and trap memes, the drama in the forum, fishing, horse training and ofc the combat. These are a few reason why i have fun in this game.

2. Atrius

Atrius Kusachi Maehwa 61 EU

Pre-order player reporting in.
    I knew from the start this game was going to be a marathon and not a sprint so I've taken my sweet time.
    Only missed about 2 weeks total since 28th Feb 2016, but I don't leave my PC on overnight or whilst at work.

Still playing daily (roughly an hour most weekday evenings, and more at the weekends) and have lots still to do - set myself plenty of goals at the beginning in no particular order:
    - Get all boss gear and accessories to TRI (working on the TRI part atm)
    - Get all life skills to Master (damn you sailing...)
    - Grind out those titles
    - Complete all non-repeatable quests
    - Recently my OCD is compelling me to get 'S' rank on all mobs
    - Level to 62

You know like in Final Fantasy games where you defeat the toughest boss and get the best weapon, only there is nothing challenging to use it on?
    That's why I decided to get full boss gear first, THEN go exploring.
    It's the main reason why, even though I've been playing since the beginning, I've still not started Valencia patch let alone Kama.

I think the variety and breadth of goals I set myself has kept the game alive for me, whilst others may have focused on 1 or 2 areas and burnt out quickly (e.g. enhancing).
    Keep thinking about the story of the Tortoise vs the Hare. The analogy seems to fit BDO quite well.

Fearless V likes this.
  3. Twinkle

Don't make a thread asking for people's opinions if you're just going to berate them when they don't share the same opinion as you.

6footgeeks, Mgp, Fearless V and 2 others like this.
  4. Hakazumi

Hakazumi Ranger 58 EU

Fun is when I enjoy the time I spend playing a game.
    Like in some games I forced myself to play more to get some missing achievements and other stuff like that which was kinda boring but there was nothing like this in BDO.
    I like all kinds of lifeskills as well as pve (playing solo > in party).
    I'm not really a fan of pvp but it's like this in all games, it's just stressing. I can only act as support during NW, doubt it will change in near future.

I rarely afk so like most of it.

I'm fine with the game as it is now, don't mind any kind of changes tho.

But there is fun in it.
    :)

Whito likes this.
  5. Joungf

Actually I do not have any fun. Therefore I am playing other mmoRP games. Maybe somewhat in the future this game becomes a really big bugfix and game logic, content and mechanic update. Then I will be back ...

6. Beeso

I don't look too deep into it, I play when im enjoying myself and I don't when I'm not. So i guess all the little things..

[​IMG]

7. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

8. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

This is my 3rd year of BDO and I still.. somewhat enjoy myself.
    I learned to play it differently.
    Hell, the moment i got full tet bossgear, i took a 2month break.

I found myself taking breaks once in a while keeps me enjoying the game more

Hakazumi and Beeso like this.
  9. Beeso

The best part is....they will never believe you, silly humans. [​IMG]

Nagasaki likes this.
  10. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

You and me both know that we dont give a flying fork about what "they" think, amirite?!!! haha

Beeso likes this.
  11. Éternel

1. The combat can be fun, and certain life skills keep me entertained.

2. I'd say about 40% of the time. I don't leave BDO running all of the time so much of that, "non-fun time", involves the horrible enhancement process; Doing scrolls is not what I would call fun.

3. I'd make the game less about a RNG gear- grind and more about RP and PvP.
    Better communication by Pearl Abyss and Kakao would be another change that I would make. While it would not make me "enjoy" the game, I would be more likely to spend money and/or recruit friends to the game if they were more transparent.

4. I still have fun, and enjoy playing with in-game friends, but I'll most likely stop playing once a half-decent sub-based game comes out; Too many issues with a largely B2P/F2P model.

12. devante

killing players horses on my red.

13. ManlyBeard

Failing tri dande at 51, 55, 59 and 63 fs lel

14. Nyhver

One seriously has to question your self awareness and priorities.

Gots to be, gots. A lot of people that are veterans of the game may wake up one on the log in screen and ask themselves why keep doing it, if they're getting less fun and it's not worth it to them, it's not sensible to continue. A lot of the reason BDO persists is because there's not much great out there, MMORPGs exist with confections of perfection in a small grain in a larger hourglass helter-skelter amalgamation, good and bad. As an example, RvR in Wrath of the Lich King for World of Warcraft, high paced, skillful, (lag poisons everything) not the overly defensive-turtle meta, parallels to the CC lock down, evade damage burst iframe strategy cooldown counting prediction awareness gameplay for combat that BDO does in a lot of those respects, but it also is world of warcraft and in that very same expansion the plain abomination of death knights were released. Maybe it's a lack of awareness, it's just people going through the motions, trying to attain what is forever lost, that feeling of awe and grip when they were first experiencing games for the first time and enthralled.

PvP, fighting good opponents, getting something after some work for it even if it was dull, which it is, and it should be more challenging than tedious, and having it matter- my gear is still subpar so that largely remains to be seen. My time spent is well past what my gear should be. Figuring out combos, other players then landing more complicated and beautiful combos on other players which are trying to avoid them. Server chat / forum chat sometimes. There's something special about BDOs combat system that people are sometimes too quickly to devalue, it has problems but it's also pretty nice in some aspects.

Pretty bad formula for it, perhaps a pronged question. I'll concede that the game is spent running a lot more than I have fun on it, but having fun with people and doing PvP also happens frequently enough to captivate me.

Server reliability. this game has had problems with ISPs/servers since inception I believe, but certainly before the more recent outbreaks and backlash. Server stability affects everything along with the cluttered and inaccurate UI, and laborious process of all things entailed- moving things around, in, out of banks, on, off horses. Inaccurate visuals for chat boxes and selection, that sort. One of the biggest things to be improved after server stability is PvP, remove RNG on CC, add a trinket break or two with around 0.5 or 0.25 CC immunity windows, remove evasion/acc as stats, focus more on increasing power of abilities so everyone can do more combos fluidly rather than having to deal with a slow C swap if they don't want to.

Improve class balance and design around 1v1 and large scale, large scale PvP and some of the beliefs people have on this, (along with PA) is horrid, large scale pvp can be improved by 1v1 and involves small scale even in larger NWs/siege, large scale is only improved typically by better 1v1 with large-scale in mind, on the other hand, large scale focus detracts from 1v1s and makes everyone dependent infants, only able to do things in groups on their group design class balance and their mediocre tactics of go here, do that, and people are in ecstasy over how their group won the fight or fought hard. Disappointing. Taking away from 1v1s usually serves to lower skill in MMORPGs and that's not a good trend. I respect good players individually because that's what they deserve, and if individuals in a group function well I'll respect their synergy and tactics as well as individual skill, it's only fair. However, a individual that is only a force to be reckoned with in a group is not a person worth respecting.

And shame on anyone who support this ridiculously baseless and lackluster understanding of balance, this perversion where you say that 1v1s in BDO can't be better because if they did large scale PvP would be ruined, shameful.

I play it because it's still fun, I quit when I tried doing advanced techniques in a node war and out of the near 7 attempts where I apparently performed it properly and landed it, it was resisted or rubberbanded out of all 7 attempts, I quit because of that, went to other games, nothing interested me to the point of taking that gaming slot, I still came back for the original thing I was interested in. For other people it could be hope or potential, they're just hoping it changes in the future, it probably became a habit for them to just log in and play, or afk-lifeskill.

#74 Nyhver, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Hakazumi likes this.
  15. PurplePumpkin

1. What makes you have fun? (Define 'fun' for you in BDO)
    • I like exploring the open world and being rewarded for it with knowledge.
    • The Combat
    • No linear progression, which means I can play the game how I want.
    • The world feels alive
    • There is a lot to do and you can either actively or passively play the game to progress.
    • I find the community entertaining.
    2. How long you have fun times compared to time you spent running BDO on PC.
    • usually if I'm not having fun with what I'm doing in game I just do something else. That's the beauty of this game for me. I have choices and those choices are still meaningful to progression.
    3. What changes could make you enjoy this game (more)?
    • More emotes, maybe even interactive ones and dances
    • Players can set up a shop (probably not going to happen but, I can dream)
    • More mini games and mini games that we can play with other players
    • More professions to try out
    4. What makes you still play BDO if there's no fun doing it?
    • If I ever find myself not having fun I just stop playing- until something brings me back. This time it's Lahn and a possible art profession in the future.

Hakazumi likes this.
  16. Wyvinters

Wyvinters Berserker NA

A factual reason why people still play this game whether they are in denial or not are 2 things:

1.) Combat.

and

2.) Graphics.

Done.
    Most of us are waiting for undeniably better games to come out because this one failed to meet our expectations.
    Watch people drop this game like flies as it becomes another mmo graveyard like the ones this game ripped off from.
    (Vindictus, ArcheAge.... etc...)

17. irrelevant

irrelevant Pixelstorm Tamer 62 EU

the first 2 comments pretty much seal the thread for me

but if i went in more depth .. (hopefully this feedback reaches someone that then relays it to someone that matters)

1. pvp would make me have fun if i didn't feel im being robbed by my class and the game
    2. lately ive been running bdo for 20h+ a day and i occasionally do pvp for 3 hours a day (like 3-4 times per week on average id say) and i don't really have fun most of the time while doing pvp (it depends on how much tamer skills break and how the lag and desync is and on how lame my enemies are being - as in shamelessly zerging and overcommiting resources into shutting me down
    (so, less than 0,5% of the time that i'm running bdo , probably)
    3. properly designed skills with no gaps in them cus that doesn't work for eu/na , clearly, nerfs on most classes and nerfs on toxic and unfun mechanics (Chase, superarmor/iframe grabs and grabs in general, knockdown, sorc iframes, pulls),
    less lag, option to almost completely negate rng in gear progress to a certain point at least and potentially for alts, more weight/inventory for potential alts as well, a waifu, tamer school outfit and stockings underwear
    4. too invested, lack of options, hoping rabam skills make the game better and more fun and more balanced and generally hoping things get better

18. Beond

If you spent that much on a game and never had fun well I won’t comment on that lmao

Hakazumi likes this.
  19. Beond

You say they’re dummies but spent 1700 and don’t have fun LOL

Hakazumi likes this.
  20. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

You're preaching to the wrong crowd. I did it, too, and got shot down in flames. Most people who are here will tell you to just leave and not say a word because they don't care about what you have to say; that you're just another whiner.

Honestly, I can't say I really have fun with bdo anymore. Most of it is forced. I can sometimes enjoy the grind, when I want to, because it lets you relax and shut your mind off. I sometimes enjoy the pvp, when it isn't just a my gear/class vs your gear/class issue or a frustration with desync. The combat is complex and sometimes exhilarating. But alas, most of this game is an exorcise in tedium and frustration, all to make you open your wallet in some places and others to just impede you and keep your from quitting of boredom. The best moment I had with the game, I would honestly say, is when I first started exploring the game world and seeing the sights. I wish I had actually quit. Now I absolutely can't cuz gf wants to play it.