1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does the game become....FUN?

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Forgotten Fables, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Forgotten Fables

Hey community, when does the game become fun?

I am level 61 and I am consistently being one shot killed in Red Battlefield. It's frustrating and I dont understand how you can devote so much time to a game and be killed without effort. Players blindly spam AOE attacks and put little to no effort into strategy and are rewarded. While directional, reactionary, back and forth combat is penalized. I did the whole gear score game. Constantly breaking gear, never getting ahead.
    Meanwhile, Casual Gamers are given trial characters at max gear / max stats with no effort.

I am told to play the class I like, but as I am killed, its the same 3 classes always dominating everyone else. RBF ends, players go AFK, I hit them and I still do no damage. this means the last 20 minutes playing was pointless. I have given you my money, I given you my time, when does the payoff come back?
    When does the game become...Fun ?

FUN: Winning a one on one fight. Meaningfully contributing to a Node War. Lasting longer then the first initial attack. Winning a battle because of player skill and reactionary player feedback. A tug of war if you will, not because you blindly hit a AOE 360 attack while not even facing the opponent and killing the opponent in 1 hit.

#1 Forgotten Fables, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    BDO_Nictofilia and Swanhilde like this.
  2. KrimsonSky

KrimsonSky Ninja 62 NA

what's your gear?

FairlyEnjoyable likes this.
  3. Kurtferro79

Kurtferro79 Maehwa 63 EU

the fun is in the start :) after you realize that there are players who spend a lot of money to be competitive, often even years of farming are not enough, so it is a game that gives satisfactions to those who pay, to those who choose the strongest class, often with the most stupid skills, you are still in time to change game, you haven't spent years chasing something unattainable.

#3 Kurtferro79, Jul 1, 2020
    Swanhilde likes this.
  4. Ahri-

When you reroll succ wizard or guardian

5. Tolots

it will never be fun

Only few can reach endgame gear and those few always dominating. If you hunger for equal chances and fair pvp you picked the wrong game.

BDO_Nictofilia, sajdas, Souda and 4 others like this.
  6. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

This must be your first Korean MMO. Because all of them are like this. P2W RNG Gear to Win Grinders. If you are looking for decent PvP you sure came to the wrong sub-genre of MMOs. Do yourself a favor and don't ever pick up another Korean MMO.

7. Swanhilde

are all korean mmorpg p2w? I don't know of an exception.

8. Myntiix

Im just gonna assume you are a new player.

A lot of people play the game for 4+ years now. Why do you think you have to or should be able to compete with them when they have played so much longer than you.
    You sound selfish.

PeaceInChaos and Kasu like this.
  9. Forgotten Fables

Spent years? Spent money? That is simply not true.
    A casual gamer who has never played the game before can make a trial character and be at max level with max SP, and max gear, and dominate a player who has devoted years of time to this game. Not only is it a slap in the face to the player who has devoted time to the game, stood by the game, and spent money on the game, but it proves the fact that Kakao Games does not care about its actual paying customers.

10. Rügenwalder Pommersche

i mean trial gear is honestly pretty **** for todays standards but u are not totally correct trial gear allowed new and low geared players to get into pvp way earlier

and to OP: as soon as u hit 269 ap 309 dp u should be fine in like 99% of the pvp in this game, while this is fairly low u can still compete with ~600 gs people

#10 Rügenwalder Pommersche, Jul 1, 2020
    FairlyEnjoyable likes this.
  11. Quinra

Trial character has nowhere near max gear - in fact you'll be struggling to do even decently in RBF with one.

PeaceInChaos and FairlyEnjoyable like this.
  12. Mayuri

This thread is kinda contradictory, first you complain about gear difference (which is huge and completely "insane" in this game) then you complain about trial characters (the only way to have a "competitive" equalized PvP).

The amount of time you need to become "competitive" in this game equals to the amount of time devs take to put out new "content" (gear/enchantments), which, will force you to start the process again, I don't understand how people fail to see this, it's extremely clear at this point.

This game monetary gains are designed around progression, which means that the game needs progression to make money, thus, progression will never stop.
    You will never reach an "oh, I'm done with gearing up" moment, because that means they wouldn't be able to make money out of you anymore.

Gear is a carrot on a stick and you're all chasin after it.

As for struggling to do well in RBF with a trial character, that's kinda false, you can do very well if you know what you're doing (unless you're against lots of evasion monkeis).

#12 Mayuri, Jul 1, 2020
  13. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

I'm not sure this issue is unique to BDO. Most MMO's have meta classes and builds for different functions. You have to choose whether you want to play one of the meta and be more successful at PvP, or play a class of your choosing and accept it's shortcomings in PvP.

This isn't to dismiss the importance of class balance, but I've not yet come across an MMO where you can be any race/class/build combo you fancy and be as equally as good on paper as anyone else. You always have to make choices around what kind of experience you are wanting, and decide accordingly

14. Kurtferro79

Kurtferro79 Maehwa 63 EU

The trial is the minimum and is often totally defenseless against characters with the real high level gear, and can only be used in Ba and RBF, you cannot use it in nodewar or around, you haven't yet understood the game probably, the standard of a medium-high player it is accessory equipment tet and tet / pen weapons and armors with caph levels, GS 600+ means on average 281ap 319DP, more crystals clearly higher than those of the trial, and there is char full pens gear with GS650 +

15. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

seasonal characters offer easier way to softcap than most of us had to do before.

16. Souda

Souda Warrior 61 EU

Depends on your gear score, if you have bad gear score you are just food for the predators

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  17. sajdas

A normal game would put high geared players against other high geared players while new players will fight other new players.
    He should not be able to compete with them but he also shouldn't be matched against them.
    In most pvp competitive games its very much frowned upon when smurfs/strong players fight new players/weak players

#17 sajdas, Jul 1, 2020
  18. sajdas

You should join rbf as a trial character, just dont bully to many players with the "max gear" you get there :D

19. Hypotermia

It will never become fun if you don't like getting 1-3 shotted. With latest patch almost all the classes received too much dmg. There are some exceptions to this but more dmg was added to game making it even lowering TTK.

For example warrior grave digger took 90% of my hp while i had 380DP. And this is not just some meme evasion build with 0dr. Anyhow my experience so far has gone down even more than it was left after 2 years ago when they made "new" pvp a thing. It just looks more and more that its time to move on. It wont matter how much gear you get DP wise. AP is the king and nothing else matters and if you want to survive play fast class / high iframe class and just run around and hope to land ranged CC / Grab and insta kill them

BDO_Nictofilia and Diazine like this.
  20. Forgotten Fables

1. You didn't read the post, or you are confused. I will dumb it down for you.
    The complaint is simple, for the person that is in the middle of the road, you are sh*t on for your efforts.
    A person with no investment in the game gets more perks then a person that has spent money and time on the game. A trial character gets immediately access to gear, the full SP skill sheet with 4000 sp, and can start having fun immediately with no time or effort.
    Is that fair ? No. It's not fair. I am level 61, been playing for 3 months, spent plenty of real coin on the game, and only been able to obtain 1600 sp. The developers are more interested in "fresh money" then "loyal players" who actually are putting down money on their game.
    I have seen it countless times with MMO developers over the course of the 25 years of MMO Gaming, it always ends the same way.

2. Equalizing the characters by putting a level cap will not hurt sales.
    Fair competition for those players that have invested their time and efforts will only make the game more enjoyable.
    Yes, some basement Otaku won't be allowed to be level 68 while everyone else is level 62, but considering I just fought a player that is level 64 at 61, the game tends to be broken with anything more then a 2 level disparity between classes (the level 64 player just stood in one spot, and 30 players attacked him and could do nothing about it -- that's fun? ), so why even allow players to grind that high when the game balance itself cant handle it?